Engulfed By His Shadow

By endcore

"Y-You aren't normal..." I stuttered and looked into his eyes. "No." "...not a human," My lips quivered while... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 : The Deal
Chapter 2 : Breeze
Chapter 3 : Stalking
Chapter 4 : The Customer
Chapter 5 : Outing
Chapter 6 : Reminiscent
Chapter 7 : Smiling Prey
Chapter 8 : Evening Surprise
Chapter 9 : Birthday
Chapter 11 : Gifts And Schemes
Chapter 12 : Visiting Mr. Deighton
Chapter 13 : Thunderous Dinner
Chapter 14 : Fright
Chapter 15 : Play A Knave
Chapter 16 : Miss Dorris
Chapter 17 : Wine's Shade
Chapter 18 : Harsh Bite
Note
Chapter 19 : Dolled Up
Chapter 20 : Silk
Chapter 21 : Toys
Chapter 22 : Dr. Ryker Engelmann
Chapter 23 : Rules
Chapter 24 : Rotten

Chapter 10 : Charmed

2.3K 144 20
By endcore

UNEDITED
___________________________________

Cloyd's eyes ran over the girl standing in the middle of her two friends, dressed in the attire he selected for her. She looked perfect and so deliciously inviting that it was difficult to waver his attention off her, he thought.

"Crystal," Mark held out his hand for Crystal to step forward and then spoke, "This is Mr. Cloyd Deighton, an old acquaintance of mine whom I met in Snowcourt on an eventful day. When I told him about my desire to have a surprise birthday party for you, Mr. Deighton was kind enough to offer his help and but for his generosity, this would not have been possible," Mark suppressed a scoff and didn't bother describing any more about his status or position as the chairman. His ingress had already spoken volumes about his quintessential standard of power and charisma combined.

"And this is my daughter, Crystal," Mark introduced proudly to which Cloyd gently took her soft hand in his and bowed to kiss it.

"Crystal," With a gentle tone, Cloyd called out her name and made a brief contact with her eyes.

Her heart skipped a beat and her voice started dying down in her throat. Crystal felt that his voice was so familiar but those sharp and soul penetrating gorgeous grey eyes were surely not. He had hair the color of deep copper brown that looked very silk, thick and wild and some strands were let to rest freely over the side of his forehead. A sharp jawline and symmetrical nose completed his look of drool worthy perfection. Just to think of all the women falling for his appearance and money would make one's head ache, Crystal thought.

"Thank you for taking the trouble to make this evening so perfect for me. I don't know how to express my happiness about this in words," Crystal finally gained some strength to speak confidently and thanked both her father and Cloyd.

"I am glad and wish you a prosperous birthday," Cloyd cocked his head a little and smiled, "Forgive me for being late, I had an urgent meeting that had to be attended."

"That's not a problem at all," Mark who kept watching Cloyd drinking in his daughter's physique so deeply that he decided to interrupt them and take Mr. Deighton away from Crystal. The list of people invited only included close friends and family. Geldard had made sure of each and every guest. Not everyone had the chance of having a small talk with Cloyd. He remained silent and surprisingly unnoticed for the rest of the party and if introduced, he stood before like any other guest. Nothing more and important was disclosed.

As they left Crystal and her friends, Reyna couldn't help but view her opinions on Cloyd which seemed as if she was extremely impressed, "What a mouth watering definition of a man," She smirked over the man at the distance and Joe cringed at the funky choice of words, "He isn't a piece of juicy bacon, Rey."

Crystal chuckled at them when Joe made another joke on how hungry Reyna can get to eat up an entire man for a meal.

In the middle of this, Reyna did have a slight memory of hearing the expensive name before but she couldn't exactly put her finger as to where.

The rest of the function went well with people enjoying, chatting and eating. Everyone looked satisfied and merry which let Mark take a sigh in relief but the extra expense over the group of musicians made him frown. He did ask Cloyd about it but he simply threw away the matter by sneering, "You cannot expect a party to go well without music. Either way, it's all on me."

A while later everyone gathered around the center table where two men placed a delicious cake with care and all the friends and family, especially Rey, waited for Crystal to perform the customary cake cutting. Victoria was among the first ones to rush by her side and wish her again followed by Mr. Moore and Reyna.

While everyone flocked around Crystal, Cloyd and Geldard stood at the side and silently watched the scene. Becoming a part of the cheering crowd like any other overly excited fool wasn't his style so, he waited patiently.

When the crowd of guests cleared away, they resumed with the food and dance and later, Crystal as well had a dance with her father. She looked so bright and blissful, Cloyd enjoyed seeing her being such.

Mark then gave her space to mingle with her friends and Cloyd took that opportunity to find her alone to gift the present he brought.

"Ms. Moore," She spun around to find Cloyd standing behind her with Geldard,"On the occasion of your birthday, I would like to present you with this," He extended out his arm and two men arrived carrying a large bouquet which made an approaching Joe's face fall.

"Oh, dear.." Crystal found herself at the loss of words and stared back at Cloyd, "This is so beautiful!"

"And this," He grabbed a wrapped box from Geldard's hands and tendered it to her. The box was wrapped in a pretty designed paper with a silver logo on top which of course, Crystal couldn't recognize properly. She surely had seen it somewhere like at a jewelry shop display.

"I think you should open this, Crystal," Reyna startled her by suddenly appearing and speaking over her ear.

"Urm..." Crystal debated on whether she should when Cloyd cleared his throat,"Ms. Moore please, wait," He took a step forward and continued, "It's a rather rare gift only for your precious eyes."

Crystal understood his meaning but seeing the logo and judging by the weight of the box, she assumed it was something expensive, "Mr. Deighton, you have already done so much for us and now this..."

"So much?" Cloyd scorned lightly, "I thought everything I did for this night seems so less. If you do not accept it then I will be truly offended."

"I-" Crystal looked down at the box. Declining would be considered as impolite and she wouldn't want to hurt Cloyd.

"Thank you, this really means a lot to me," Smiling shyly, she accepted his gift and earned a proud smirk from Mr. Deighton. Crystal made a note to herself that if she finds the gift extremely costly, she would politely return it back the other day but for now, she would take it with a smile.

Joseph witnessed it quietly then thought about asking Crystal for a dance when Cloyd was done with the exchange of such extravagant gifts,"Cr-"

"Would you care for a dance, Ms. Moore?" Cloyd quickly requested for her hand and just as he knew, Crystal didn't deny it.

"The pleasure is all mine and please call me Crystal, Mr. Deighton," She persisted.

"Crystal it is then."

Joseph nearly scowled in the rising jealousy for this man who was taking his friend away so smoothly but he obviously didn't want to create a drama and so, he tried to keep his cool.

"This leaves just the two of us," Reyna sighed, "May I have this dance, Milady?" With a fake accent, she enlended her hand and Joseph took it gladly, "Sure."

___________________________________

Crystal's P. O. V. -

This night had already brought in a lot of surprises for me and I had no intentions of ruining this perfect party.

Mr. Deighton's cold hand held my small palm so gently that it gave me the only relief I would need in the midst of wild thoughts involving miserable failure in this dance with him or worse, tripping and falling over the ground. Strangely enough, I have just met this man to be this comforted with a small touch.

His eyes darted to the side carefully as he led me a place that was void of any guest or noise. It was a small cleared patch of garden with a twinkling blue lake beside that was separated by wooden fence and the area had been decorated with bright hanging bulbs, hanging plants and ribbons.

It reminded me of a garden date that a creative and interested couple would have.

One of my hand clutched the fur shawl close to my body and I drew it closer when I felt the other side slipping. I didn't want to leave Mr. Deighton's hand abrubtly but because of the small gush of wind, my shawl or the only source that covered my back, neck and shoulders hung loose from the other side, exposing the left parts of my body that weren't protected by my dress.

It was a cold night, so undoubtedly I shivered and had to lose contact of Mr. Deighton's hand.

I quickly pulled the shawl close but Mr. Deighton had already turned around to catch my moments with his sharp gaze, "I-It's cold tonight," I whispered with a small blush.

I was actually very thankful for this shawl tonight. It's cozy and fashionable but needs to be handled well.

"Indeed it is," He waited patiently until I adjusted my shawl and tucked its ends properly around my forearms.

After I was done, Mr. Deighton's arm had been folded behind and his other free arm was stretched out ever generously for me to take and I placed my hand over his. Something about his position gave out an aura of a distinguished royal.

"This place looks magical like it is straight out from the world of fairytales," I smiled as I noticed the tiny, shimmery lights above us.

"I wondered if you would like this sort of garden decor," Mr. Deighton took my hand and quickly pulled me close. In the next moment, I was in his arms. His hand entwined with mine and the other gently rested on my waist.

"Yes, I love it," I smiled sweetly and looked up at his eyes that appeared so piercing and intimidating as they watched down over me.

"I am glad," He remarked and grinned as we took our first step for the dance.

When we moved further, all the chattering of guests, clinking of crockery and even the noise of crickets dissolved to only let the melodious tune played by the musicians around us and made the surroundings a blur.

It was a different feeling, a feeling of euphoria and something I cannot explain. It was calm, protective and sweet. The way our bodies moved so perfectly in synchronization with the music, for a second, I didn't want to leave Mr. Deighton's side.

"Tell me about yourself, Crystal," His voice broke my trance and I stood frozen for a minute. He wants to know about me? I don't understand what fascinates him so much to ask that.

"What would you like to know, Mr. Deighton?"

"Your interests, passion, dislikes, anything and everything," His eyes darkened like a hazy storm had been swirling in them and his smile faded into a barely recognizable smirk.

"I am an ordinary girl," I started with a smile, "I love to draw, bake, read and write."

I noticed that his smirk widened and he tilted his head to show his interest, "My passion is to become a botanist, make my father proud and bring smiles to people's faces by simple acts of kindness."

"Very nice, Crystal," Mr. Deighton smiled genuinely.

"Thank you," I suppressed a blush and a goofy giggle by nibbling on my lower lip but no sooner when I did that, I discerned Mr. Deighton staring my bitten lip intendly and made me release it in an instance.

"Have you ever thought of seeking thrill or adventure in search of something better that gives meaning to your life or are prepared to step out of your comfort zone to chase your passion?" He asked critically as if testing my mindset but I replied confidently, "If it leads me to my passion and gives me happiness, I wouldn't step back to dip my hands in danger and strive for what I deserve no matter how difficult and uncomfortable the way is."

"Spoken well but it's easier said than done," Mr. Deighton raised an eyebrow and searched for my eyes.

"I understand, Mr. Deighton but if the situation calls for it, letting it go would have more painful consequences than to face it bravely."

"You are an intellectual young individual, Crystal. I am impressed," Mr. Deighton's intense stare softened and he complemented, making my face turn as bright red as a tomato.

"You look adorable when you blush," He grinned radiantly and I quickly diverted my eyes away from him.

All the questions I had for him vaporized from the roof of my tongue when his strong arm tightened around my waist, pulling me closer to him until our chests met. His hand left mine and landed on my waist to draw small, electrifying circles.

The act made me snatch my attention back from the surroundings to his face and those stormy grey orbs bore into my soul as they found the windows to it.

My hands that were placed on his broad shoulders were turned cold, sweaty and paralysed. My head seemed to spin. All of a sudden I felt a lot of things at once as if someone had hypnotized me.

The wind interrupted again and this time, though I had carefully wrapped the shawl around me, it loosened again, slipped down and landed on the grass next to our feet but I didn't dare pick it up with a strange fear.

Mr. Deighton looked even more intimidating and attractive at the same time. He forced my body to move with him for a more sensual and seductive dance. My body automatically followed his moments and I didn't even realize all this while that I was a terrible dancer at formal occasions.

His hand kept caressing my waist and after a few movements, he held my hand, took a step back and twirled me gracefully. When I faced him back, he left my hand, pressed his palm on the small of my back and drew me near once again.

His fresh breath mingled with mine and he looked longingly at my parted lips. His musky, magnetic scent evaded my senses and made me wonder how captivating his fragrance was and that I can never grow wary of it. Mr. Deighton smiled as if reading my thoughts and lowered me with ease that caused me to snake my arms around his neck in support.

He hovered his face over me until our foreheads touched and his lips were just an inch away from mine. At this point, all the possible actions ran through my head. What will he do to me? Why does this seem like a dream? Is he going to... kiss me?

"Crystal!"

My father yelled my name and I was brought back out of the beautiful reverie.

"Out of luck, sweet," Mr. Deighton whispered in a raspy tone over my ear and his jaw twitched like he was hiding his anger behind a stoic face.

"It was a pleasure meeting you, Crystal," He said after helping me stand straight and gently brushed a kiss over my knuckles before he left me alone with papa.

___________________________________

A/N:

Cloyd finally got a chance to meet his dear Crystal.

What do you think of this story so far and especially about Mr. Deighton? Don't forget to vote and tell me about your theories in the comment section. :)

Love,
A. P.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.7K 135 41
"You believe you've seen the dark? Sweetheart, you are absolutely adorable." I said my voice dark and humorous. "Darkness is so much more complex. S...
1K 13 37
I always considered myself a good person, helping others is my ultimate goal even my job shows you that. It was how I was raised by my adoptive fathe...
2.6K 127 31
"Fuck off!" I yell, storming away. The nerve of that guy. It was a one night stand, I didn't marry him! I grumble as I plop into my car. Why was he...
60.1K 5K 62
Help him!? Help the prince of the kingdom that locked me up? Joining that man is the second last thing I want to do. The very last thing is to go bac...