the spaces in betweenㅣtaeyong

By tartagiliciousio

[guardianangel!au] having him by my side was simultaneously the best and worst thing to ever happen to me. It... More

preview + playlist
character aesthetics
1 ; first sighting
2 ; angel, obviously
3 ; imaginary
4 - i got you
5 ; one last time
6 ; he loves me, he loves me not
7 ; bottomless
8 ; ty
9 ; break
10; all night long
11 ; comely
12 ; entanglement
13 ; fear none
14 ; elixir
15 ; enemy
16 ; anything to help you
17 ; platonic
18 ; greedy
19 ; two team
20 ; i have a confession to make
21 ; out of place
22 ; he's an angel
23 ; almosts and what ifs
24 ; have yourself a merry little christmas
26 ; green champagne
27 ; i'm all yours
28 ; help me
29 ; out of place
30 ; i promise
31 ; love equals care
32 ; i'm sorry to leave you
33; live alive
34; [FINAL] i found love where it wasn't supposed to be

25 ; one hell of a guy

351 19 3
By tartagiliciousio

25 - one hell of a guy -

--

Dohyeong's P.O.V

I would've expected to be less focused with a literal person missing, but it was surprisingly easy to pay attention when I sat down at the exam prep meeting the next day. I was left with a clearer mind after ending confusions with Aera the night before, and we'd ended up sitting down and clearing everything up. It had gotten a little weight off my shoulders, thankfully, and today, I definitely needed it.

Because, in my constant insistence to busy myself the morning after Taeyong had vanished, I'd signed up for not one, but three prep sessions taking place over the next couple of days. Though I really didn't appreciate past me's decisions, I knew it wasn't a complete loss since I did need it.

My calculus grade needs a good exam results desperately. But, studying is never something a normal human being would look forward to, anyway. Especially when she has more pressing matters to think about.

But, I still dragged myself into the school around noon, putting everything behind me and deciding that this time was about exam prep, not the angel, not Hyeokjae, not me.

"Hi, what are you here for?" The familiar woman that usually sat in front of the main office looked up at me and gave me a patient smile when I reached the front desk.

"Calculus 1 prep," I answered, smiling back politely as she looked at her paper.

She pointed down the hall and told me the room number, to which I recognized almost immediately out of habit. It was in the library, and fittingly for the group size, it seemed, because there was almost no seats left already. I just adjusted my backpack straps and sighed as I looked around. I already didn't want to be there.

They'd separated everyone into groups not long after, everything based on test scores. I was in the middle of everyone, but was still mortified to have my average score read aloud. But, I guess that was the price to pay for having to be here in the first place.

"Cha Dohyeong,"

My presumed curator, the afore mentioned math prodigy, Minseok, called out my name with an underlying bored tone. It took me a moment to prepare myself for the inevitable out-loud average score everyone else before me had already received.

"76%. You can go into group C," He said, barely looking up as he moved onto the next name.

It wasn't really comforting to know that my average score on calculus tests was a 76%, but I was still given a strange sense of relief as I walked past the group labelled 'F'. After that, everything passed by moderately quickly, and though I can't say I learned anything new in the study session overall, Minseok was thankfully very patient and helpful when it came to my slow thoughts.

"No, Dohyeong. We never even learned anything close to this,"

"Oh, is it at least close?"

He never answered, just taking the pencil and erasing parts of my work. "Here's how to do it,"

I walked out of the school a good 3 hours later, a binder heavier than I had been when I came. It was obvious there was still a lot I didn't understand, so all of the tutors there were very willing to give me things to practice with on my own. And while I did, of course, appreciate it, I resented it also.

I was never told that I needed to complete it, but the thought of my exam grade dropping when the practice to fix it was right next to me was a little nerve-racking.

As I turned my key in the ignition, I instinctively turned my head to the passenger seat, ready to ask the meaningless question of whether or not Taeyong cared what was on the radio. But, I caught myself just as it switched on, the sound subconsciously reminding me that I didn't need to now.

"Your taste in music is," Taeyong had begun with this one day after school

"It's just.. so human-like." He'd admitted, catching my questioning glance as he tried to explain himself further. "I can't really explain it, but it's sort of like this is the kind of song that comes to mind when I think of a human."

"I'm trying to figure out if I should be offended by that or not,"

He'd gotten sort of flustered after that, telling me that he didn't mean it in that way. I remember just laughing and reassuring him that I knew what he meant.

Now, I just swallowed thickly and turned the radio up.

--

Taeyong's P.O.V

The room that Yeonghwan had told me to stay in reminded me significantly of a hospital. The floor was the same plain colour as his office's, but it didn't stop there. The walls, decorations, and even the bedsheets were all the same crisp white, with the occasional grey, brown, or black. It was so bad that it felt like I was seeing double every time I entered a room.

Thankfully, it was nice enough that if you didn't mind the colours, it was easy to treat as something like an apartment. A weird, monochromatic, locked up, apartment. But, I was here as a punishment after all, so it wouldn't be fair to expect anything else.

And it wasn't like I knew what to expect anyway.

It was like a never ending limbo of short naps, some meaningless conversations with myself in the mirror, or just hours spent just staring at the wall. Hell, if it weren't for the person that checked in on me every once and a while, I doubt I'd even remember to drink water. And for once, it was a blessing that I didn't need to eat.

I didn't think I was particularly bothering anyone with my fruitless routines, until Yeonghwan came in close to the evening of the second day, seeming a little jittery.

"Taeyong," he began, his adam's apple bobbing as he asked, "How are you?"

The question surprised me, as I thought it was quite obvious.

"I'm doing fantastic," I drawled, my eyes meeting his. "I feel like I've never had more time to myself,"

He decided to take my words as a joke, letting out a soft chuckle.

"That's good to hear. I guess you're a little bored here, huh?"

I shrugged. I think I'd kill myself if I had to stay here much longer, actually.

"A little,"

"Well, I came to tell you some good news then, I suppose. The council finally decided your due date. So, you'll be allowed to go back on the 30th, the day after tomorrow," He gave me a small smile as I returned it half-mindedly, relief blooming in my stomach at the thought.

He continued before I could say anything, "But, if anything, and I mean anything, out of line happens, you're being revoked from your position as your contract states,"

I nodded, agreeing, "Of course. Thank you, Yeonghwan."

I'd fallen asleep with no trouble for the first time that night, and for once, I was looking forward to the next day.

--

Dohyeong's P.O.V

"Wow, Yuta must be one hell of guy to be able to put up with someone like you," I said this after she ordered a tall shot of soju with her lunch, which was a questionable decision. She had only turned nineteen a few months ago, yet she was already doing things like these.

I envied her ability to be so careless about everything.

She answered casually, pursing her lips slightly as she adjusted her blouse. "He's a hell of a guy for a lot of reasons,"

It took me a moment to realise what she was referring to. "Aera!"

We were out for the day in Myeong-Dong, a shopping district not a long driving distance away from where the both of us lived. It was a place filled with name brand stores, trendy boutiques, restaurants, and numerous street vendors. We spent a lot of time there because it was so big, and we loved it.

Which meant it would probably be safe to say that Taeyong would like it here as well.

"I was a human once too, you know. A while ago, but still close enough to have favourites," he'd told me this when I asked why he was so fond of certain brands at the plaza on Christmas Eve.

"What kind of life did you have to have these kinds of favourites, then?" I asked, referring to all of the luxury brands he'd listed.

He didn't answer me directly right away, just shrugging as walked under a display of flocked artificial pine. "I was a rapper,"

My eyebrows had raised. "Really? Hallyu or online?"

"Hallyu. I was in a group for a while, actually," He said this nonchalantly, as if it wasn't impressive. I scoffed as I stopped at my spot beside him.

"So that's why you've got this hair," I said, raising a brow as I absentmindedly reached over and ran my fingers through the ends of the red locks near his neck.

But, before I could pull my hand away, he leaned his head back into my touch, his lips curving up into a smile. "It is."

I felt my heart warm at the memory.

"Dohyeong?"

My head came crashing back down to earth at the sudden call, my eyes re-focusing on Aera, who was looking at me with raised eyebrows.

"Sorry, what? I wasn't listening," I said sheepishly, trying to play off my distant atmosphere.

And it seemed it worked, because she just let out a breathy laugh and nodded. "I could tell. Well, I wanted to ask you what you're doing on New Years Eve,"

I pursed my lips slightly, caught a little off guard at the question.

"Probably nothing. Last year I sang along to View by SHINee as the clock struck midnight, and was already at your party,"

She laughed, telling me that I went into 2018 living like a god.

"Well, I'm having a New Year's Eve party again, and I wanted to ask you first since I know you'd probably rather stay home," She said, making me smile subconsciously at the thought she'd put into the offer for me.

She was right when she said I'd probably rather stay home, but I definitely didn't mind a good one every once and a while. Especially if my best friend was hosting it. And besides, I needed some way to get my mind off the angel for now, anyway. It was a pain to be weighed down by all of the worries that came with the growing situation, so I would definitely take a given break from them, even if it was short.

"Okay," I nodded, saying, "As long as you still play something good as we go into the new year, I'm in,"

"You got it. Any requests?"

"Surprise me."

--

AN: i'm literally shaking as i type this y'all have no idea what's coming up in these next chapters

we reached 2k literally two chapters ago, tbh I don't even understand. I know I say this literally so often and to everyone that comments, so much that it's probably annoying, but i'm so glad everyone enjoys this. so, thank you so much for 3k!

the part where she puts her hand on the back of his head to touch his hair and he leans his head into her touch seriously is so cutely intimate that it makes me blush when I think about it. tbh I could just imagine his expression as it happened and as he spoke, and, ugh, did someone say uwu

AND HENDERY IS A GOD, THERE, I SAID IT. but wayv literally looks so amazing I seriously can't wait for my boys to debut.

happy late new year!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 193 80
{PREQUEL TO: 𝗥𝗘𝗦𝗢𝗡𝗔𝗡𝗖𝗘. ❥ nct.} "For the world, we're NCT!" «§» Twenty-three men. All tested physically and mentally. It's the year 2197, an...
30.2K 1.3K 24
COMPLETED (TRIGGER WARNING!!! : TOXIC top) Living in a financially unstable family, Taeyong had to work as soon as he finished high school. But noth...
81.3K 2.5K 21
your parents divorced due to conflicts between them and your father won your custody. your father being a wealthy man gave your mother a huge sum of...
12.7K 383 28
**COMPLETE** Update on bio: The reader was enjoying her life in Korea, not really thinking about dating until she accidentally met a guy at her work...