Villainess

By Jordan_Roses

Upon death, our protagonist is given the option to be transmigrated. If she earns enough points, she can be r... More

Prologue
1.1
1.2
1.3
1.4
1.5
1.6
1.7
1.8
1.9
1.10
1.11
1.13
Ɩ 0 ˙ q n ɥ ǝ ɥ ʇ
2.1
2.2
2.3
2.4
2.5
2.6
2.7
2.8
2.9
2.10
ᘔ 0 ˙ q n ɥ ǝ ɥ ʇ
3.1
3.2
3.3

1.12

8.7K 424 124
By Jordan_Roses

The night before the wedding, Liliana had been taken to the bathhouse at the edge of the castle's grounds. In the waters, she waded clothed in nothing except the skin she had latched onto when she joined this world. Liliana's dewy pale skin seemed to almost glow luminously under the white moon.

Behind her, Reginald watched from a stone bench with heated blue eyes. Liliana merely kept her back turned against him, inky black hair clinging to her skin and concealing anything from Reginald's gaze.

Closing her eyes, Liliana inhaled the steam rolling up from the waters and tried to relax. This was hopefully the last night she had to deal with the bastard, with only an 80% chance of failure with the plan. Only the gods will know what will happen to her if she fails.

But, that 20% chance of the plan succeeding is keeping me going...

"Dear."

Liliana moved her head back slightly, eyes still closed. "Yes?"

"Sing to me, I've just realized I've never heard you sing," Reginald demands. Liliana resists the urge to scoff out loud at him.

Gosh, I don't know if I've even sung in this world. Maybe if my voice is shrill enough, he'll bury me with the others in the garden and I can finally be done with him...

"Reginald, to be honest, I've never sung a day in my life," Liliana informs truthfully. "I've never even heard myself sing. You wouldn't want to hear it-"

"I must disagree! Now, I wish to hear your songbird-like voice even more. If I'm the first person you are to ever sing to, it'll make the moment all-the-more special."

Ugh...creepy...

"Um..." Liliana opens her eyes, now fully looking over her shoulder at an expecting Reginald. "I don't know any songs," Liliana says with a sheepish laugh.

"How could you not know any songs?" he echoes, causing Liliana to shrug, slightly rippling the water. "Nothing comes to mind."

Unless he wants me to sing some Nicki Minaj, but I don't think he's the type to like 'Superbass...' is he...?

Reginald sighs, shaking his head in dismay. "That is a shame. Once we're married, I promise you that we'll have singers from all around the country come and perform each and every night. Then, you can learn a song to sing for me for the first time, my dear..." Reginald pauses before he chuckles slightly. "Your voice will be the only virgin thing that remains after our vows, dear. How interesting..."

Gross.

Liliana merely nods, turning her back to him and closing her eyes once more. It seemed as if he's had his fill of conversation, so he'll probably be done bothering her now-

Liliana heard the water ripple from behind her. She lazily re-opened one eye just as two cold hands pressed themselves against her back, causing both of her eyes to snap open. Liliana arches her back in surprise and glances back to see Reginald without a shirt. Liliana glanced down slightly before averting her eyes.

And without pants as well.

How could he have gotten so naked so quickly?!

"Why are you in the water?" Liliana asks as he quirks a blonde brow.

"I can't be in the waters with my dearest?"

Liliana's lips tighten but she says nothing. He chuckles slightly.

"I was hoping to...repay the favor you left me the other day," he comments as Liliana crosses her arms over her chest, fully turning around to face him. Her mind flashes back to the rotting head on the golden platter and her stomach clenches in disgust.

"What favor? You already gave me such a... wonderful surprise," Liliana carefully words as his blue eyes light up.

"Ah, you must've forgotten. It may have been insignificant to you, but it was quite...amazing for me," Reginald says as he glides forward through the water. Liliana resists the urge to step back as he takes her left hand in his, exposing a bit of her chest.

"It's hard to believe that in less than 24 hours you'll be mine," he notes as he stares at the back of her hand, eyes never averting from the pale skin. Suddenly, he looks up with playful eyes. "Mine legally, of course. From the moment I saw you, I knew we were meant to be together. We are two souls that were perfectly matched from the dawn of time."

Reginald's hand lightly wraps around hers. "When I was a young lad, my father told me an old legend. It was that if you left a mark on your lover's body with all the will and love in your heart the night before you wed, you can find them one day in your next life."

His eyes glance down. "What a shame he had to be rid of, I quite liked him."

Liliana pales at this. What if she had been complaining about the King? Would she have received his head instead? Or maybe she'd see the old man's body beneath the rose bushes...

He looks back up, bright and bubbly as ever. "Anywho, I thought it was romantic, and now is as ever a good time to do it." He steps closer and Liliana cranes back from him.

It's not like she believes that he'd find her in the next life. After all, she'd most likely be transmigrated halfway through someone's life. He'd have to be a baby if he were to reincarnate into her world, and she could just throw baby-Reginald out a window.

Wait, could I? Would I even have the heart to throw a baby, even if he was a psychopath, out a window? How could I-

A sudden pressure on her ring finger snapped her back to reality. Reginald had sunken his teeth deep into her ring finger, right where the wedding ring would lay in the next 24 hours. Liliana winces and he removes his teeth, revealing dots of blood on the top of her finger, but not the underside. Liliana dips her hand underwater before pulling it up again to see a faintly curved line, a split down the middle. It dully throbbed, and Liliana internally cursed him.

"Do you want to mark me now?" Reginald asks, extending a hand with a wide grin spreading across his face as Liliana feels bile pool in the back of her throat.

He'd enjoy her biting him too much, and with both of them naked in the pool, she wouldn't know what could happen next.

"You know what? I trust you enough to find me in the next life, Reginald," Liliana flatters him as she forces a smile onto her face. Leaning forward, she kisses him on the cheek. "This hot water is making me tired, and I need to rest up for the wedding tomorrow. Everything has to be perfect, doesn't it?"

"Of course." Reginald nods, watching his fiancee's inky black hair float in the water behind her as she glides away. While he was a manipulative King, he was unaware of how wolflike and worse his fiancee truly was.

=

Liliana sucked in her gut as the corset strings tightened around her core.

"Is this good, my lady?" Amelia asks.

"I wish it could be looser, but then I'd never fit into the dress," Liliana responds dryly. Amelia chuckles and holds out the large dress, then helps her lady step into it. The other maids had left the room after they had done Liliana's makeup and hair. Now, Liliana needed only Amelia to help her on the wedding day.

Liliana had said nothing about the sights she had seen regarding Katherine to Amelia; hell, she wouldn't even know how to bring it up.

What would I even say? "Hey, my fiancee happened to kill your sister in the name of love. I would say she looked in good shape, except I only saw her head because her head was on a platter. Have a great day!"

Even if Liliana could bring herself to tell Amelia about Katherine, would Amelia or Mrs. Florentine still wish to involve themselves with her? Would it be better to let the family fear of the possibilities forever, or let them know Katherine's demise was the fault of Liliana's fiancee's madness?

"I can tell you're quite nervous," Amelia chats as she ties the laces of the gown, "and it's quite alright to be."

Liliana was more nervous about the plan, not the actual event of the wedding.

"I...I am quite nervous," Liliana agrees and Amelia laughs.

"You're leaving your girlhood behind. You've grown up quite a bit since I first met you."

"Is that a good thing?"

"We've all got to get up there sometime, and it's your time now..."

Liliana nods and turns to face Amelia, the white satin twisting around her body like a viper.

"Ready?" Amelia asks, a tight smile on pink lips.

"As I'll ever be."

Amelia turns from Liliana and walks to the door. Liliana follows and glances into the mirror. Her dark blue hair hung in ringlets, pinned beneath a long sheer white veil. Long sleeves of white satin clung to her body, extending to her wrists where fat droplets of pearls hung. The gown drooped over Liliana's feet, dragging in a dreary train behind her.

Liliana shied away from meeting her tired eyes in the mirror. What does it matter how she looks when she feels so disgusting inside?

Liliana and Amelia slowly walked toward the main door of the church in complete silence. A faint melody emitted from behind church doors, indicating that much of the entrance ceremony had already been completed.

Liliana stepped forward and linked her arms with her father in this world. Based upon the original body's memories, he and Liliana were never close.

"My daughter, I am so proud of you." Liliana looks up at his face and sees dark marks of sleeplessness under his eyes. "Now, my child, remember to not let your feet betray you in this crucial moment."

Liliana responds by tightly holding his hand. The song changes and emanates from the church, cueing the doors to swing open. Inhaling lightly, the Marzinals awaited their cue.

And when the priest turned to the two, they glided into the church. The only thing Liliana held was her father's hand, per custom of this world. The people in the aisle seats threw rose petals before Liliana and some landed beneath her feet and on top of the veil, while others scattered on her satin train. Liliana kept her gaze forward with her eyes on the prize.

King Reginald.

He was donned in his formal Royal navy suit with his golden crown on his head. All of his fine golden hairs were combed neatly into place, allowing for his twinkling blue eyes to shine. From behind the priest, Liliana could see the Queenly crown. Even from under the thin veil, she could see it was practically dripping in gold.

Just like the dome that held Katherine's head.

Making it to the altar, Liliana was passed off from her father to the King. Reginald reached forward and picked the petal off of Liliana's veil, placing it in his suit's front pocket. He then extended his right hand and grabbed ahold of Liliana's, thumb slowly rubbing circles into the back of Liliana's pale hand.

The priest began his schtick while Liliana zoned out, trying to ignore the ache beginning to form in her feet.

If the plan is successful, life will be better. Katherine's death won't be in vain.

So don't fail now.

"We will now begin the happy couples' ceremonial poem readings. May the husband begin his?" the priest asks, snapping Liliana from her daze..

Ah, yes, the vows in this world were short poems coupled together.

Reginald inhales lightly, keeping his gaze on the vibrant eyes behind the pale veil.

"With dawn rise and dusk fall,

when I look towards you

all of the beauty in the world cannot compare.

If I was to hold you in the palm of my hand, your soul

shall scorch my skin black, but I continue to

hold you within my grasp, my love.

And when midnight's dreary steals you away once more,

I shall wait 'til morning for you, forevermore," he recites, voice looming eerily. From behind the veil, Liliana gives him a forced smile.

The audience politely claps. When they quiet down the priest turns towards Liliana.

"And for the bride?"

Liliana's mind tracks back to the stupid poem she had to memorize and write, feeling anger burn in her heart. Originally, her poem was a lot less petty; but after the events that transpired, she couldn't allow some things to rest with the dead.

"To each his own and to own his piece,

but with lockets of gold, he shall cease.

When morning comes, I am given from my love

ginger snaps and far-fetched travels

to unknown shores, reachable by

the scattering of petals in the wind.

There, I wait on the edge of elsewhere, for you have given me

the best points, which I need to continue on.

Thank you for this gift," Liliana recites, toes crossing over each other beneath the dress. He smiles widely at her poem and the audience applauds once more. No one seemed to understand the double meaning of her poem, which caused Liliana to smile a true smile, two small dimples shining through.

"The poems have been completed. Now, before the ceremony is over, is there anyone who objects to this union?" The priest asks. Liliana internally hoped that someone would stand up.

But no one came to her rescue.

"Under the power given to me by the heavens above, I now pronounce thee husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride."

Reginald throws back the veil and kisses Liliana deeply as the crowd roars.

'Mission completed.'

Yes! Finally!

She kisses him back, elated that her main mission had become complete. She pulls away when she felt her face beginning to blue and the audience laughs lightly at their King's infatuation with her.

It was cute to them but torture to Liliana.

The crowd quickly quiets, eagerly awaiting the next part of the ceremony. The King walks to the side as Liliana now kneels before the priest.

"As the King's wife, do you promise to support him no matter what?"

"I do."

"And do you promise to protect this country with your life?"

"I do."

"Under the power given to me by the heavens, I pronounce thee Queen Liliana Elina Hekilns of Terria." The crown was placed upon the top of her head and the crowd applauded once again.

'Title earned! 'Queen.' 100 points have been earned.'

Well, that was quite easy. A few words and I earned a title? That's great!

Taking Liliana by the hand, Reginald walks his wife down the aisle and the two smile all the while.

His was earnest while Liliana's was forced. Of course, the crowd couldn't tell the difference.

The two immediately walk into a side room where two separate doors were. Amelia quickly enters the room alongside another maid.

The other maid goes with Reginald and follows him into the left room. Amelia takes Liliana into the right room and helps her dress for the reception.

Liliana was given a black dress, draped in lace. Apparently, after the death of a ruler, the Queen was expected to wear black for a year, aside from important occasions such as weddings or any other tradition that occurred.

I guess that rule applies to me now...

Liliana removes the crown and veil and allows for her dark hair to be pulled into a low bun by Amelia. Then, a diamond pin was pulled through the bun. This was the customary fashion for the hair to be in following the wedding, with the diamond pin being the last gift given to the daughter from her family before she was married off. Then, she typically never spoke with her parents again. It wouldn't be too big of a problem for Liliana, but probably tortuous for other girls...

Amelia set the crown on Liliana's head and smiled in adoration.

"You look lovely, my lady."

"Thank you, Amelia..." Liliana looks into the mirror.

For having so much power, why did my villainous-looking face still seem sad?

Liliana exits the side room to find the maid in front of her door.

"His Highness won't allow this servant to dress him," the maid meekly informs as she keeps her head bowed. "He'll only allow Your Highness to touch him."

That's probably a good thing, Liliana wouldn't wish for this poor maid to be on the receiving side of Reginald's wrath.

"I'll take care of it, fear not," Liliana informs, smiling kindly at the maid. The maid nods, scurrying off, clutching her wrist. Liliana's gaze flits downward for a moment, acknowledging what most likely had happened.

Liliana walks to his door and knocks twice.

"Come in."

Liliana steps in to see Reginald standing in the middle of the room. In the back of the room was a small table with the reception clothes sitting on it. It seemed as if he hadn't even bothered to begin undressing.

Liliana resisted the urge to roll her eyes. How typical of him...

"Undress me."

Keeping a straight face, Liliana undresses Reginald before putting him in a different outfit. It was quite similar to the first, so she had no idea why he even changed in the first place.

Reginald reached into his old jacket's pocket, removing the rose petal.

"Can't forget my good luck charm," he informs with a straight face. He holds it out to Liliana, and Liliana takes it with tentative fingers, laying a brief kiss on it. Reginald watched with heavy eyes, before taking the lipstick-stained petal and putting it in his jacket.

Reginald pats his pocket, giving Liliana a small smile.

"I'll keep this forever," he promises. Liliana nods. "I'm sure you will," she says dryly, fully knowing he would. Reginald misses the sarcasm and smiles even wider. He extends his right hand to Liliana, small scars emboldened into his dry skin. She sets her left hand in his, the century-old ring glistening in the candlelight. Her mind briefly flashes to Katherine before snapping back to the present.

Reginald quickly leads her to the reception room.

"Are you ready, my dear?" he asks. Liliana gives a brief nod.

Two soldiers slowly opened the large wooden doors, allowing the Hekilns to step through.

Everyone rises from their chairs and applaud as the two walk to the center of the room. In the past couple of days, the room had been lavishly decorated. Satins and silks dripped from ceilings, golden candles flickered, and red roses sat in decorations at each table.

Reginald nods at the orchestra director. With the sharp rise of his hands, the orchestra begins.

Liliana curtsies to Reginald and he bows strictly to her. The two circle each other before clasping hands and beginning their waltz.

Liliana had a fake smile stretched across her face the entire time. It wasn't the same rush she felt with Aleric when they had danced months ago.

This waltz was tense. Formal. Rigid. Unnatural.

Finally, the song ended and the two walked to their table at the head of the hall. Liliana's eyes scanned the room, seeing that it was filled with aristocrats at the circular tables, waiters awaiting their cues at each corner of the room.

Reginald and Liliana sat down, finally allowing everyone else to sit as well.

"Bring in the feast!" Reginald bellows.

Side doors open as chefs with large carts wheel out everyone's suppers. The waiters unstick from the wall in a perfectly formed brigade, taking the carts from the chefs as they move in patterns to their designated tables.

There were exactly eight tables, with eight at each table. Liliana did a mental count.

40 had already betrayed the King of Terria and allied alongside Conrei. Now, it was time for the 24 others to fall.

The carts' side doors flew open in unison, with Conrein soldiers tumbling out, swords brandished. The waiters reached behind their backs, withdrawing swords, and the chefs removed their hats, revealing daggers tapered inside. Some guards even withdrew weapons, but they weren't there to defend the Terrian King. Alissandra, disguised as a chef, withdrew an arrow from behind her back, grabbing a bow that was attached to the side of the cart. She loaded her bow, pulled its string taught and slowly swerved it at the crowd as everyone fell deadly silent, no one panicked at all.

It was horribly distressful for the crowd, yet, a delightful sight for a pair of arctic blue eyes.

All of the people room had long betrayed Reginald. Turns out, each and every duke, duchess, viscount, and everyone in between had their own suspicions on who really killed the King they all loved.

"Nobody move," a voice echoed through the hall as the grand doors opened.

Aleric marched in, a familiar sword around his hip while a flank of soldiers filed in quickly, closing the doors behind him. He somehow appeared stronger than he used to be, with his stony face even more handsome.

He probably was twice as arrogant, too.

"What is the meaning of this?!" Reginald demands as he squeezes Liliana's hand tighter, causing her to wince in pain. That'll definitely bruise...

"You're being overthrown for the cruelty of your ways. Your country shall join the Conrein Empire," Aleric informs, a stern look on his face. Liliana struggled to resist the urge to roll her eyes.

Yes, Reginald was cruel, but Aleric's schemes were the main reason the economy flopped!  But, Reginald still deserves to be overthrown. If he doesn't, I'll be like a bird in a gilded cage for the rest of my life, watching Reginald kill everyone dear to me. And, based on how manically he acts, Terria will be overthrown within the next five years.

"Impossible!" Reginald throws his hands up and lets go of Liliana's hand. Quickly, she places her hands in her lap and remains immobile.

"Your remaining brothers have already declared their will to not be King. Your subjects do not approve of the country. Your military is degraded, your people are starving, and there is anarchy in the streets!" Aleric's voice booms across the silent hall, reverberating off the walls. He takes a moment, before lowering his voice to a flatter tone. "Your line's rule is coming to an end. Surrender now."

Reginald was silent, shoulders shaking slightly. He lowers his head and places his hand over his mouth.

"Reginald...?" Liliana trails off when she hears muffled sounds from under his hand. He moves his hand away to reveal a shark-like smile that tittered with malicious laughter, echoing through a deadly silent hall.

"You think..." he inhales deeply, interrupting his gleeful laughter, "you really think that I shall allow you to take away my rule so easily? Guards!"

But no one came to his rescue.

Reginald's brows furrow once more.

"Guards! Now!" Reginald shouts. Aleric laughs eerily at this situation.

"Have you not realized? All have betrayed you, you fool!"

The nobles who have betrayed Terria looked uneased at this. They didn't know what'd happen if somehow Reginald overcame this and found out about their traitorous ways. Yet, the nobles who haven't betrayed Terria still didn't come to Reginald's aide.

They knew he wasn't going to hold out much longer.

Aleric points his sword in Reginald's direction, coal eyes as sharp as his sword's point. "If you surrender peacefully, there shall be no bloodshed."

"And what of me if I was to accept this ridiculous proposal?" Reginald asks, shoulders still shaking slightly with laughter.

"You shall be exiled and never to be seen again."

Reginald's face contorts in disgust. "That is a bastard's way of living," Reginald snarls.

Quicker than Liliana could react, Reginald grabs her by the hand and yanks her to a standing position in front of him. He wraps his forearm around her neck and pulls her back, causing the crown to fall off of her head and clank onto the floor.

"We shall die together, then..." he declares, wildly grinning all the while. "My Queen and I."

Damn it!

Liliana's mouth gapes open, sputtering for oxygen as Reginald chokes her. Her bluing face looks down at Aleric, mentally begging him to figure something out. Aleric bites his lip, not knowing what to do. Does he break his promise to Liliana or let Aleric kill himself and Liliana?

Then Reginald's grip loosens.

Liliana looks back to see him fall back onto the floor, bleeding out from the arrow piercing his skull. Looking up, Liliana sees Alissandra, arms holding up an ornate bow. Alissandra gives Liliana a terse nod.

Liliana glances down to her husband, seeing an arrow that pierced straight through his skull, the blood pooling onto Liliana's black heels. Reginald's half-lidded gaze was staring upwards at Liliana.

Liliana gulps and turns to a horrified crowd.

"The King of Terria is dead," Liliana confirms and watches as the situation finally settles in.

Everyone here had committed treason. Panicked looks appear on faces.

What now?

"As the Queen and next-of-line," Liliana starts, the next lines memorized like her poems, "I hereby give this country over to Conrei in place of war. I hope that this action will ensure peace, rather than unnecessary fighting."

Liliana quickly walks away from the table, her shoes sticky with blood. She raises her skirts to not trail them in the scarlet of her now-dead husband as she walks towards Aleric. He keeps a straight face as Liliana stands beside him.

The audience doesn't even know that the two had met, so Aleric and Liliana need to pretend to be unknowing of the planned endgame.

"As the Crown Prince of Conrei, I accept this offer and all territory given to me. All shall keep their title as long as they submit to me."

There was nothing at first until Liliana's father and mother stepped away from their table, dipping into a deep kneeled bow. Others soon follow until the whole room is bowing to Aleric. Turning to him, Liliana sinks to her knees before Aleric.

"All may rise."

Everyone stands up again and he clears his throat.

"My sister shall be the ruler of this territory, under the direct jurisdiction of the Conrein crown." Aleric now looks at Liliana. "And to aid the transition of the acquisition of Terria, Queen Liliana shall become my bride."

==

If you like this story, please vote, comment, and add to your library. And thank you for all the support!

I saw this amazing artwork done by yu_jin097 on Instagram, and totally thought it fit Liliana from this story!  Go check them out!

These past few chapters have certainly been a doozy and have been hard to write. Next week's chapters will be a lot lighter! You'll see a bit more of the romance between Aleric and Liliana, while also having Amelia and Liliana friendship time!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 150 5
Becoming the villainess of a visual novel you played in your past life after dying in the dumbest way possible is tragic, but so is being the one cha...
168K 5.2K 41
"If I'm going to die anyway, there's no point in trying to live." A typical reincarnated into a villainess story, except the protagonist isn't your t...
93.7K 5.7K 25
【 ꜰᴏʀᴍᴇʀ ʏᴀɴᴅᴇʀᴇ! ꜰ. ʀᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ x ᴍ!ʏᴀɴᴅᴇʀᴇ 】 This world has never feel real to you, especially when you found yourself obsessed with a certain boy in th...
500 45 13
My name is Min Ae-ri Shin ... Or it was that. One day as I was taking a bus home from my college as usual while playing an otome game on my phone si...