Airplanes | Spruceworth 6.1 |...

By 3dream_writer3

*definitely can be read as a standalone**the main character is all new and hasn't been in any previous books... More

CAST | CHARACTERS | FAMILY TREE
Chapter 1: Mom or Dad
Chapter 2: New School, New Enemy
Chapter 3: Group Work
Chapter 4: The Orchestra
Chapter 5: Unexpected Comfort
Chapter 6: Trivia Night
Chapter 7: Drunk Ollie Supply Kit
Chapter 8: I'm Fine Here
Chapter 9: Acquaintances
Chapter 10: Life at Home
Chapter 11: The Twins' "Friend"
Chapter 12: Oblivious Ollie
Chapter 13: Truth or Dare Reveals the Truth
Chapter 14: Vulnerable
Chapter 15: Support Group
Chapter 16: Sponsor
Chapter 17: Withdrawal
Chapter 18: Twin Conflict
Chapter 19: The Ex-Friend
Chapter 20: Music Festival
Chapter 21: Back to Arguing
Chapter 22: The Apology
Chapter 23: More Twin Conflict
Chapter 24: Meeting the Family
Chapter 25: Mercedes, Lucian, and Castiel
Chapter 26: Halloween Carnival
Chapter 27: The Aftermath
Chapter 28: Paper Airplanes
Chapter 29: Music Room
Chapter 30: The Storm
Chapter 31: The Storm Continues
Chapter 32: No Proof
Chapter 33: Communication
Chapter 34: Heated Argument
Chapter 35: Without Him
Chapter 36: The Trial
Chapter 37: Not Disappointed
Chapter 39: Struggling
Chapter 40: Step-Family
Chapter 41: Christmas Eve Eve
Chapter 42: Christmas Angel
Chapter 43: Day with Friends
Chapter 44 | Final Chapter

Chapter 38: Detention

498 38 68
By 3dream_writer3

Chapter 38: Detention

       "I'd seriously like to know how we got ourselves in this mess," Vikram said while he locked his bike at the bike rack in the courtyard of the school. "It's Saturday and we have to be at the school. Who wants to be at school on Saturday?"

       "Nobody does," Hennessy said. "I don't even know why Ollie and I are here. We weren't even involved in the fight."

       "I mean, technically we were," I said. "Just not physically but we were arguing with those people. And I was trying to break up the fight so it could have looked like I was involved in it."

       "That still doesn't mean we deserve to be here on a Saturday," Hennessy said. "Is Saturday detention even a thing? Is this legal?"

       "It should be," Grant muttered, who was now sitting at one of the picnic tables, his arms propped up to keep his head rested in his hands. "It's eight in the morning. Who wakes up this early on the weekend?"

       "You look dead tired," Vikram said. "What time did you fall asleep?"

       "I don't know," Grant said. "Like two, three in the morning? Ollie and I were--"

       "Nope," Hennessy interrupted. "Don't finish that. I don't want to hear it."

       "Watching a movie and eating junk food," Grant continued. "We forgot about the stupid Saturday detention and by the time we remembered, it was two. Or three. Maybe even four."

       "How come Ollie doesn't look as tired as you?" Vikram asked.

       "I can easily function with only a few hours of sleep," I said. "Just for a bit though. By the time Saturday detention is over, that's when I'll shut down and not want to wake up. And now, we should probably get to the detention before we get in trouble for being late and have to come back next week."

       I still wasn't thrilled about the four of us being in Saturday detention. At least we weren't going to be the only ones there. Then again, I would rather it be just the four of us than having the other four there with us.

       It was such a weird thing all of a sudden. My friends and I never had any problems with anyone else in school. We just lived our normal lives, trying our best not to have conflict with anyone.

       Until Janessa decided she wanted to make conflict.

       She said some not so friendly things to Hennessy and while it didn't bother Hennessy herself, Grant got pissed. He told Janessa off which didn't pass by one of her friends who then told Grant off.

       It was a whole chain of people telling each other off until both Grant and one of Janessa's friends, Silas, got as angry as they could.

       Then Vikram got involved.

       And then Silas's friend Denis. 

       I wasn't fast enough to break up the fight before the principal found at and decided that after school detention wasn't enough.

       No, Mr. Griffith thought Saturday detention would be the best solution for us 'trouble-makers'.

       The four of us walked into the school with Grant slowly following us, looking as tired as he has ever been. Once we got into the detention room, Grant flopped down at the first desk he got to and rested his head on the table. Literally moments later, he was fast asleep.

       I sat down in the desk beside him. Detention hadn't even started and I was already counting down the minutes until this was over. Just over three hundred minutes left.

       Five hour long detentions on Saturday should be banned.

       Shortly after we were all sitting at a desk, Janessa, Silas, Denis, and their friend Tammy arrived. Even though Tammy was as annoying as Janessa, she was also just one of the observers like Hennessy who got detention just for being near the fight.

       "Awe, it's the loser gang," Janessa said, sitting at one of the desks on the opposite side of the classroom.

       "Grow up, Janessa," Vikram said. "We don't want to hear your childish jabs."

       "Whatever," Janessa said. "You know, none of us would be here if it weren't for that douche bag."

       "Which one of us are you talking about?" I asked, leaning back in my seat so I could get a better look at Janessa. Nothing she said really bothered me, even if she was annoying. I just figured her life was probably very boring if she wanted to tear us down.

       "The one who started the fight," Janessa said.

       "Technically, that was you," Vikram said. "Grant wouldn't have gotten into a fight with Silas if you didn't pick on his sister."

       Janessa glared at Vikram. "Are you calling me a douche bag?"

       "You said it, I didn't," Vikram said.

       "Do you want to say that again?" Silas asked in a threatening tone.

       Vikram just chuckled at their easiness to get angry as he looked away from Janessa, a small smile on his face.

       Maybe detention wouldn't be so bad. As long as Janessa and her friends couldn't bother the rest of us, then there was no reason detention should be so awful. Minus the boring feelings that were sure to come.

       Mr. Griffith walked into the detention room, immediately noticing that Grant was asleep. He picked up a stack of books on a shelf nearby before dropping it on Grant's desk, the loud slam causing Grant to wake up with a start.

       "Are you trying to give me a heart attack?" Grant asked, rubbing his eyes.

       "Rule number one of Saturday detention," Mr. Griffith said as he walked to the front of the classroom, "no sleeping. Rule two, no cell phones unless you have to contact your parents. Rule three, no leaving the room. Rule fo--"

       "If you didn't want us to sleep, then why bring us here so early?" Grant interrupted.

       "It starts around the same time regular school days start," Mr. Griffith said. "You should have gone to sleep at a reasonable hour if you wanted to survive detention without being so tired."

       "Can't," Grant said. "I was busy."

       "In the middle of the night?" Mr. Griffith asked. "Doing what?"

       "Having sex," Grant said.

       "Simms, I don't think anyone in this room wants to hear that information," Mr. Griffith said.

       "Except Ollie," Grant said. "Then again, he was there."

       I gave Grant a look that told him to shut up. It was official. He lost his mind.

       "Simms," Mr. Griffith said in a warning tone.

       "I'm kidding," Grant said. "I was watching a movie. You're so easy to rile up."

       Mr. Griffith shot him a quick glare before addressing the rest of the class. "If I catch any of you breaking the rules, you'll all have to come back next Saturday for another detention."

       "Wait, hold on," Hennessy said. "We all do? That's not fair. Can't you, like, separate us into teams? So if one of those four broke the rules, only they have to come back?"

       "Nope," Mr. Griffith. "Maybe this way, it will teach you eight how to get along and not start fights in the middle of the hallway."

       "Okay, but I was in a coma for a few weeks so I don't have a clear perception of what's right and wrong," Grant said. 

       "What does you being in a coma have to do with anything?" Mr. Griffith asked.

       Grant shrugged. "I don't know. Brain damage?"

       Mr. Griffith sighed and shook his head. "Break the rules, everyone comes back. Do I make myself clear?" Everyone muttered some form of agreement. "Good. If any of you need me, I'll either be in my office or near the construction sight."

       He was about to leave but Grant, still wanting to pester our principal, said, "We can't get you if we need you?"

       "Why not?"

       "Rule three. No leaving the room."

       "Unless you need something from me."

       "You should have specified."

       Mr. Griffith sighed once again as he left the classroom as quickly as he could, probably to get away from Grant annoying him. I didn't blame him. I did get used to Grant being extremely annoying but there were still times I wanted to repeatedly hit my head against the wall.

       "What's rule four?" Vikram asked.

       "What?" Hennessy asked.

       "He was in the middle of saying the fourth rule when Grant interrupted him," Vikram said. "He never finished saying it."

       "Oh my goodness, you actually care about that?" Silas asked.

       "For your information, yes, I do," Vikram said. "But that's only because I don't want any of us to be caught breaking that rule and having to come back here next week when we don't even know what the rule was."

       "Then we tell him we didn't know that was a rule," Grant said. "Simple. It's his fault for not finishing it."

       "You're the one who distracted him," Hennessy pointed out.

       "He's a principal," Grant said. "He shouldn't let a student distract him. Anyway, I'm just glad he never said anything about not showing affection which means I get to kiss my insanely hot boyfriend all I want."

       I snorted. "Okay." I bent down and opened the backpack I brought, pulling out my English notebook and my pencil case.

       "You seriously can't be doing your homework right now," Grant said.

       "What else is there to do?" I asked. "No cell phones. No sleeping. Might as well get my homework done so I don't have to do it tomorrow."

       "So... No kissing?" Grant asked. I ignored him.

       "Hey, Grant," Janessa said. "I heard your coma was caused by you overdosing on cocaine."

       I really thought I was going to be able to make it through this detention without being annoyed by Janessa and her friends but five minutes haven't even passed and I was already as mad as I could be.

       The last thing Grant needed was to be reminded that he relapsed because there was a chance he could start craving it again. He told me he hasn't yet but that was only because being in a coma sort of was like rehab. He couldn't take any drugs for two weeks so his body flushed it out of his system.

       That didn't mean the cravings could return.

       I looked over at Grant and surprisingly, didn't see him look pissed off or anything. He just looked neutral.

       "Correct," Grant said.

       "What, so you're not even going to bother denying it?" Janessa asked.

       "Why should I?" Grant asked. "It's true, and I don't wake up everyday thinking 'Hey, what can I do today to impress Janessa'? I don't care what you think so there's no point hiding that yes, I took a bit too much cocaine and overdosed. I'm no saint but at least I never killed anyone."

       "Neither have I," Janessa said.

       "Both your brother and sister did," Grant said.

       "Not me."

       "It probably won't be long before you do."

       "Are you trying to make yourself the first victim?"

       "Just leave him alone, Janessa," I said, not wanting anymore arguments to break out because last time there was an argument between the eight of us, it was soon followed by a fight.

       And I really didn't want another Saturday detention.

       "Awe," Janessa said, curling her lips into a pout as she looked at Grant. "Your Romeo is standing up to you. How cute."

       "Uh, I'm the Romeo in this relationship," Grant said.

       "How come you're the Romeo?" I asked.

       "Because Romeo is a sexy ass name and so is my name," Grant said. "Then again, Oliver is pretty sexy too."

       "I really don't understand the two of you flirting," Hennessy said.

       "That's because you're not gay so you don't understand gay flirting," Grant said.

       "Don't bi-erase me," I said.

       "We're in a gay relationship. I'm saying gay."

       "You're still bi-erasing me."

       "Yeah? And I'm pan-erasing myself so you're not the only one."

       "I'm so confused," Vikram said.

       "You'll get used to it the more time you spend with Grant," Hennessy said.

       "I've spent a lot of time with Grant and he still confuses me," Vikram said.

       "I'm in a relationship with him and even I get confused," I said.

       Janessa and her friends didn't bother to try starting any more arguments with us once the four of us ignored them and started our own conversation. Well, at least not yet. Who's to say another one wouldn't break out any time soon?

       Once I finished my English homework, I looked at the clock and sighed. Two hours. Only two hours had passed. And how did it take me so long to complete my homework?

       Oh, right. Grant was constantly distracting me by trying to kiss me. I did kiss him a few times but I had to ignore him in order to finish my homework.

       Mr. Griffith had only come back once to check up on us and that was about an hour ago. He was probably coming ever hour so he would be here any minute.

       Someone's stomach growled and right after, Hennessy sighed. "I'm starving. I didn't think to pack any food. I thought Mr. Griffith would at least let us buy something from the vending machine."

       "He's not here," Grant said. "And there's one close by."

       "I'd rather not risk it," Hennessy said. "Does anyone have any food to share?"

       "I wish," I said. "I'm in the same boat as you. No food with me. I can't believe I brought my homework and not food. I'm starving too."

       "I say we just sneak out and get food from the vending machine anyway," Grant said.

       "I wouldn't do that if I were you," Silas spoke up. "You know, unless you want to come back next week."

       "What, you're planning on ratting me out?" Grant asked. "Because if you do, you'll have to come back too."

       Silas smiled. "Not when we already have our excuses as to why we can't make it next week. So feel free to sneak out and get some food."

       Grant glared at Silas and leaned back into his seat. "There's no way I can last three more hours in here without eating anything."

       "There has to be some way we can get something to eat without sneaking out and getting into trouble," Vikram said. "I still would like to know what that fourth rule is. It probably has something to do with not inviting anyone here so nobody can bring us food."

       As soon as he said that, an idea lit up inside of me. "Vikram, you're a genius."

       "I know that, but why exactly do you think I am?" he asked. "If it has to do with someone bringing us food, don't bother. We can't use our cell phones and if anyone gets caught in this school who isn't supposed to be here, we'll get into trouble."

       I smiled as I pulled out my cell phone. "He said no cell phones unless we're contacting our parents. So I'll just call my dear old father to see if he could bring us food. After all, teachers can't get in trouble for being in this school on Saturday, right?"

       "I freaking love you, Oliver Asher," Grant said. "What are you waiting for? Call your dad."

       I did exactly that, explaining to Dad that the four of us were starving and weren't allowed to leave the classroom. I thought he would have told me to deal with it and wait until afterwards since I had detention for a reason.

       He didn't say that.

       I couldn't believe I thought he actually would. He was the most understanding parent ever. He didn't even blame Grant for starting the fight with Silas and for Vikram getting involved. He told us it was just a normal teenager thing and it wasn't the first time a student fought in the school.

       So when I asked Dad if he could bring us food, he was willing to. He even told me he would buy some food at the diner for us and bring that so I just had to text him our orders.

       He was amazing.

       After we hung up, I asked my friends what they wanted from the diner and then I sent the orders to Dad.

       I had the best Dad in the world.

       Right as I put my cell phone away, Mr. Griffith walked in the room to check up on us. "Well, the room is still in one piece," he said.

       "Mr. Griffith, Ollie was using his phone," Tammy immediately said.

       "Way to throw me under the bus," I said before looking at the principal. "Yes, I was but it was to call my dad, and you said we can use our cell phones if we need to contact our parents."

       "You're right, I did," Mr. Griffith said. "And I trust that was the only time you used it?"

       "Yep," I said.

       "Okay, good."

       "Mr. Griffith, what was the fourth rule?" Vikram asked. "You never told us what it is."

       "Ah, right," he said. "It's to not invite anyone who isn't allowed in the school at this time here, whether it to bring you something or to hang out or whatever."

       "I knew it," Vikram said.

       "Ollie's getting someone to bring them all food," Janessa said.

       They were really trying to get another Saturday detention, and I doubt their excuses were even going to work in the first place so this was just going to backfire on them.

       Mr. Griffith crossed his arms over his chest and raised an eyebrow. "Is this true? Because if it is, that's another Saturday detention added."

       "That depends what you meant by the fourth rule," I said. "By anyone who isn't allowed in the school and this time."

       "That would be any other students," Mr. Griffith said. "Anyone who doesn't attend the school. The ones who are authorized to be here are staff members."

       "So teachers?" I asked.

       "Correct," Mr. Griffith said.

       "Then yes, it is true that someone's bringing us food," I said. "It's Mr. Asher so he is allowed in the school at this time."

       "And technically, you never said anyone bringing us something," Grant said. "Since Mr. Asher is Ollie's dad, Ollie was allowed to call him and since Mr. Asher is a teacher, he's allowed in the school. If you give us a detention over it, that will be under false pretenses."

       Mr. Griffith didn't even seem mad at us bending the rules, or at least finding loopholes. He just chuckled. "You're a smart bunch. If only you applied it to your schoolwork."

        "Hey, we're getting good grades," Grant said.

       Mr. Griffith chuckled again as he walked out of the classroom, calling out behind him, "Three hours left!"

       "That was a petty jab," Grant said. "I'm offended."

       "Everything offends you," I said. "I breathed once and you got offended."

       "Because you're the most perfect thing on the planet and you living isn't fair to us commoners," Grant said.

       "Awe, you're sweet," I said, giving him a quick kiss.

       "You two are so cute but also so nauseating," Hennessy said.

       It didn't take long for Dad to show up with our food. I got up from the desk when he stood in the doorway, thanking him as I grabbed the bag of food and drink tray. "You're the best Dad ever."

       "Of course I am," Dad said. "Besides, it was either me bringing food or letting you four risk leaving the classroom to get some. And I know you don't want to be here again next week."

       "You're right about that," I said, giving him a hug. "Thanks, again."

       "No problem," Dad said. "Enjoy the rest of your detention."

       "Enjoy?" I asked. "That's cruel."

       Dad shrugged as he walked over so I sat back down at my desk. I handed Grant, Hennessy, and Vikram their drinks before opening the bag and pulling out their food.

       "Ugh, I can smell those burgers," Tammy said. "I'm so jealous."

       "Just think, if you and your friends were nice to us, Ollie probably would have asked for your order too," Grant said.

       "I really wouldn't," I said.

       "I know," Grant said. "I was just trying to make them feel better."

       "If you share your fries with us, we won't make your lives miserable," Janessa said.

       Grant snorted. "So the deal is if we don't give you our food, you'll try to make our lives a living hell?"

       "Yes, that's exactly the deal," Janessa said.

       "Then I can't wait to be living in hell," Grant said. "Make sure you give it your best shot. I'd like for things to be interesting."

_______________

lmao this chapter was longer than i expected it would be so it's now 3 am so that's nice.

so here's a short author's note of WOW WAS OLLIE'S SEXUALITY ACTUALLY STATED????? 38 CHAPTERS INTO THIS BOOK????? :O

i just like writing books with an lgtbq+ couple where their sexuality isn't the main plot of the story. <3 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8K 182 18
It's hard to watch the love of your life spiral into darkness, it's even harder when you cant help. After Oliver's death, he watches over his boyfrie...
40 0 25
*Disclaimer* Any music reference (including title) I do not own, it is owned by Waterparks. I love this album so much that I accidentally wrote a mus...
3K 205 60
DISCLAIMER - This book will discuss various themes such as violence and depression, and includes sections of an adult nature later down the line. It...
69.9K 1.6K 25
(BoyXBoy) Death has a strange way of working. While it takes away someone you love it can bring you closer to someone you never thought you would get...