Hidden Kingdom

By Leostar729

Avian Ravenwood has always known her place in the world since she was young, serving the Royalty she had been... More

Warning
āŠ±Chapter 1 - part one šŸ—” Failed LessonāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 1 - part two šŸ—” SummoningāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 2 šŸ—” An Unwanted GuestāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 3 šŸ—”SurprisesāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 4 šŸ—”Birthday BashāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 5 - part one šŸ—”Introducing MagicāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 5 - part two šŸ—”Elemental StrengthāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 6 - part one šŸ—”Mage TrialsāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 6 - part two šŸ—”Master MageāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 6 - part three šŸ—”A Royal CommandāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 7 šŸ—”Beginnings of CourtingāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 8šŸ—”Courting DisasterāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 9 šŸ—”Courting SecrecyāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 10 šŸ—”Beginnings of PanicāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 11 šŸ—”Death within LifeāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 12 šŸ—”Eternal SorrowāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 13 šŸ—”NightmaresāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 14 šŸ—”Revenge MissionāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 15 šŸ—”Revenge is SweetāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 16 šŸ—”Mission OrderāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 17 šŸ—”Mission OneāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 18 šŸ—”Unpleasant CompanyāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 19 šŸ—”Unending NightmareāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 20 šŸ—”Hostage SituationāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 21 šŸ—”Attempting SeductionāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 22 šŸ—”Jail BreakāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 23 šŸ—”Hidden TruthsāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 24 šŸ—”Decoding the PastāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 25 šŸ—”Dragon BondingāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 26 šŸ—” Stifling Truths āŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 27 šŸ—”Chosen Future āŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 28 šŸ—”A Lover's BetrayalāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 29 šŸ—” A Dragon Encounter āŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 30 šŸ—”Destiny's DecisionāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 31 šŸ—”A Mother' guidance and a King RevealedāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 32 šŸ—”Hidden KingdomāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 33 šŸ—”Mother's StoryāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 34 šŸ—”Anxiety RisingāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 35 šŸ—”Sky TrialsāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 36 šŸ—”Capture the Magic FlagāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 38 šŸ—”All or NothingāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 39 šŸ—”Nightmare CallingāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 40 šŸ—”The King's Blade āŠ°
Authors Note

āŠ±Chapter 37 šŸ—”Magical ChallengesāŠ°

14 1 0
By Leostar729

Hello again!!!! The challenges for Avian are about to come to an end. Hang on just hang on a bit longer. Thank you for sticking with the book this long!!

--------------------------------------------------------

Shouts from the crowd that had gathered, as it was larger than yesterdays, increased as they saw Serina coming over the tree tops. Landing I searched among the crowd for King Hakeem, finding him by one of the practice rings that were clearly marked.

Jumping off from Serina's back I stepped into the crowd that parted like a wave retreating from the shore. He raised an eyebrow as I approached. Extending the flag out for him to take, "I believe this is what you wanted." Shying away after he takes the flag from my hands.

"I guess now that you accomplished this we shall move onto the next thing. Public combat. Magic only. These are your opponents." He gestured to the five people standing inside the circle. "These are the best magic users I have." Assessing each and every one, I couldn't help but notice that Frea was among them. So she escaped her imprisonment after all. Gritting her teeth as her glare promised payback tenfold. "You will face each individually. You win when they can no longer use magic, they are knocked out of this ring or unconscious."

Nodding my understanding I enter into the ring. Finding the familiar fighting stance comforting. One of the two men moved to walk towards me but Frea beat him as she ran further into the circle creating flames with her hands. "You are going to pay for what you did to me back there! It took forever for another to get me out." She screamed as her eyes blazed with fury. The flames on her hands growing hotter and larger with her increased rage.

I smirk at her before shaking my head in a teasing manner knowing I was getting under her skin and she was unraveling fast. "Of Frea, Frea, Frea. What did I tell you about your temper?" I mocked her further. The crowed confused as they watched the exchange. Her face growing red from anger.

With a warrior's cry she shot out streaming flames. Twirling in the air to follow up a second round of flames from her feet.

Lifting a single hand I swiped it in an arc in front of me, earth rising up to stop the flames with a loud resounding swoosh. I let the stone wall drop so I could stare into Frea's eyes as I trapped her without her knowing, taking a stance.

Frea's breathing was harsh and labored after projecting a least a dozen balls of flames towards me. Trying and failing to hit on target with just one, "You will wish that you had never humiliated me. I won't allow you to do it again!" Rage pouring out as she pointed an accusing finger.

"Too late." Grinning like a cat who caught the mouse as my wind blades hurtled towards her. While she crossed her arms to protect herself from the low powered blades my foot arced in a sweeping motion over the grass beneath my feet. The earth coming up to encase her form as the winds died down. "Once again trapped." Her screams of resentment flowing out of her mouth as she cursed me to the depths of hell. "One down." Pushing out my hands I moved the newly entrapped Frea to outside of the circle.

Leaving her there while the man who first wanted to face me walked into the circle. "Are you ever not going to fall for that, Frea?" The man laughed as he watched her struggle, his gaze darting to me. "I mean this girl is new and all but she figured out your weakness pretty quickly."

"Shut up and help me out of this Valder!" Frea screamed in frustration mixed equally with humiliation. She struggled pointlessly. If she continued she would eventually run out of energy.

"Nah, I think I will leave you there. Besides, I have a fight to concentrate on." Valder smiled cheekily. From what I could gather he was an earth user. He took up a stance I recognized from my lessons with Balthazar, imitating the strength of a deep rooted tree not so easily knocked down or moved.

We both waited for the other to make a move. Valder took the initiative as he slid his foot to the side while making a swooping motion with his hands, the ground beneath me rocking back and forth as the solidness of it began to melt into sinking sand to trap my legs. Avoiding the trap by jumping into the air just before I could sink. Landing a safe distance away.

My wind blades demanding blood as they formed, hurtling relentlessly at their target. Valder blocked, forming an earth wall. They blades unable to break through and leaving deep impression carved into the rock.

As the last one disintegrated he leapt over his barrier to hit the ground with his fist. Breaking the ground in a circular shock wave in an attempt to send me flying out of the ring. Springing back into the air with the wind beneath my feet as the shock wave approached. Kicking out several torrents of strong winds as a counter. Forcing him towards the edge of the ring. Planting himself firmly in his element he stabilized his core to where the wind failed to throw his weight.

Victory clear in his gaze confused me as I touched down on the ground. His self-confidence growing as he took in my confusion. I reached for my connection with the wind but was unable to establish it. Something slithered and slid over my hands, a fine white mist had clouded over them. Snapping my attention back up to my opponent, shock coursing through my veins. "Gottcha." He chortled in triumph.

That sneaky little manipulator. I fell for the classic misdirection and missed the trap until it closed. "Finally! Someone who understands." Relaxing my body for the next step in the offensive strike. "Serina, back me up here." Confused at my behavior he seemingly took an unconscious step backwards. "Frea has fallen prey to this type of manipulating as we fought." Shrugging my shoulders as didn't feel like giving out more information than that.

He wanted to retort I could see it in the way he shifted his body, he never got the chance as the bundling of the bond magic grew into a larger pool. Hitting him square in the chest and sending him flying back. "Kinda like that." Shanking my hands to dispel the remnants of the spirit magic clinging stubbornly to my fingers.

The second soldier near the ring clutched at his stomach while laughing deeply at his friend's misfortune. "Valder, you just got owned!" He continued to cackle with glee.

"Shut up, Zander. Like you could do any better." Valder challenged. He groaned melodramatically, shuffling into a sitting position.

"Challenge accepted." The man sobered up as he stalked closer. "Alright missy, let's see what you got." The air about him drastically changing. Gone was his playful aura, replaced with a seasoned warrior.

If I didn't know any better, I would have thought Valder had stepped back into the ring. The difference being eye color and the beauty mark below his left eye. Twins, naturally he must be able to wield two elements as well.

Rotating my arms to mimic a giant circle the wind's howls grew louder as it took form of a sweeping tunnel. Trapping the one called Zander in its mass.

He lifted his arms in an X motion, giant ice crystals sprouted in the formation of a tent. Preventing Zander from being swept away. As the wind tunnel collapsed, the protective barrier broke into multitudes of giant shards.

My magic took a hold of a large chunk of rock. With a solid push the earth rose protectively, shattering the shards without much trouble.

Vine burst out from around the rock in retaliation. Spinning in a quick twirl, waves of small air knives follow the arc. Shredding any and all vines. The earth beneath my boots tilted and rocked, rising to encase my legs.

I needed to end this quickly. Freeing myself from the rock, my air blades aimed true. Forcing Zander to dodge. Timing it right to slyly kick out a couple of currents. Blindsiding Zander the moment he jumped to the side to avoid a previous air blade. Sending him flying out and thrown into his unsuspecting twin.

"Honestly, how am I related to you two? Guess I have to take things into my own hands." A women holding the bridge of her nose shook her head in disgust. "I'll show you boys how it is really done." She strutted further into the circle. Her stance wide with one arm half extended, palms facing out. "Be sure to take notes, little brothers." Her eyes giving off a silent challenge.

"You are only a few minutes older than us!" Valder yelled back as he supported Zander's weight.

She broke her stance to shake a fist at her brother, "You idiot! Women are more superior to men. I'll show you what I am cap--" I was growing weary of her blabbering. While she was distracted by petty sibling squabbling, I stomped to create a surge of magic. A platform launched the women through the air, throwing her out of the ring just like her brothers. The fight over before it could even start.

"You were saying, sister?" Zander mocked his fallen sister. Rubbing salt in the wound. Shooting to her feet the petty squabbling continued.

Turning my back on the squabbling triplets to face the final magic user standing on the sidelines. She immediately held up her hands in surrender, "I concede. I don't want to be thrown like those idiots." The King shrugged accepting it as a valid reason.

"Why not? You can take her!" Frea shouted from her rock prison that no one had bothered to free her from.

"Shut up, Frea! She tossed out all three of the triplets and caged you pretty easily. Weren't you bragging just a bit earlier how you were the best fire magic user in the entire Kingdom? Yet she handled you as if you were a mere child." The black haired woman scoffed. "I don't want to be humiliated like you so I concede before I am made a fool." She huffed as she folded her arms.

Sounds of disappointment rang out when the crowd realized that there wasn't going to be one more fight. People slowly dispersed when nothing interesting was going to happen further.

I startled when I felt hands grab around my waist, interrupting my search for Aliwyn, picking me up and twirling me around incessantly.

Before I could even react it was already over, my boots touching back down onto the ground. Twirling around only to come face with an enthusiastic Jayce. "You did it Avi! Do mind if I called you Avi?" Showing my indifference with a noncommittal noise, it didn't make any difference to me. "You only have one more test to go through. You were amazing out there!" He cheered, throwing his arms wide.

"The big idiot is right. You handled yourself pretty well out there. I was laughing the whole time when you sent the triplets flying." Aliwyn giggled as she strutted out of nowhere.

"It was beginner's luck." Valder pouted slinging an arm over my shoulders.

I smirk as I glance up, subtly trying to shake off his arm but having no such luck, "There is no such thing as beginner's luck. You just underestimated me."

Zander came up on my other side snorting, "Boy did we ever. I love how you didn't wait for Neiska to finish talking you just launched her out of the ring with that little stomp and a bored look on your face." His playful side out full swing once more.

Neiska joined out little group not long after, standing beside Aliwyn, "It wasn't fair. I was going to give her a total beat down too. Oh well, a future rematch is in order." She winked.

"Oh that's right. Avian, you haven't been formerly introduced to our crazy friends known as the triplets yet, have you?" Aliwyn piped in. "This is Neiska the oldest, Valder the middle child and Zander the youngest."

Neiska gave me a sympathetic expression, "I am sorry about these two idiots. They think they are complete charmers but in reality they just make utter fools of themselves. So I apologize in advance." Both brothers giving their sister dirty glares as she spoke.

"What about me, Aliwyn? I am wounded that you didn't think to include me." Just behind Aliwyn and Jayce, the woman who had forfeited made her way over to the group.

"I could never forget about you, Elysia." Aliwyn denied, half turning to face her friend.

The new addition smiled as she extended her hand out, "Elysia. It was a pleasure to watch you fight. Especially what you did to Frea."

"Avian." Returning the gesture. "It was a pleasure just taunting her." Honestly speaking.

Amusement sparking back to life in remembrance of Frea's fate. "I am pretty sure that everyone watching the trials took pleasure in watching you kick Frea down a few notches. I just wish it was me doing it." Zander puffed out.

"Well done, dear one. I am proud of the way you handled yourself out there." Serina softly spoke, as a warm wind blew over top of my head. Tilting my chin up in order to come face to face with Serina who stood behind me, her eyes filled with fondness. Eagerly detangling myself from Valder and rushing to hug Serina who had lowered her head for me to stroke. "Who are your new friends?" She eyed each of them curiously.

"Guys, this is my bondmate, Serina. Serina, this is Elysia, Neiska, Zander and Valder." Pointing to each in turn as I spoke their name. They nodded politely, mumbling out greetings.

"Like wise." She projected. Bobbing her head lightly as it rested in my hands.

"Hey freak!" An irritating voice echoed, making us all snap our heads over to the owner of the annoying voice. Of course it was none other than Frea. Finally freed from her stone prison. A sneer proudly fixed upon her lips as she assessed me. "Where did you come from anyway? All your fights were a fluke, right? That or you cheated." Her blue eyes flashing in a veiled threat. A group of what might have been her friends or followers gathered behind her calling out freak and cheater among other names.

"Shut up, Frea!" Neiska snarled out in my defense. "She obviously has more talent than you ever will." Zander and Valder nodding along in agreement.

"Oh please." Frea delicately sniffed as she lifted her chin, resembling the rich snobbish ladies among the noble court. "You and your brothers are every bit of a freak like she is. I mean come on riders are meant to wield only one element. It isn't natural to wield two or more for that matter." She flicked her hand out sassily.

Elysia shook her head in annoyance, "Oh please for the love of the dragon fire, shut up! You are just jealous you weren't given extra powers. You aren't even the best fire mage either. In fact you are quite mediocre. If you were as good as you claim to be, Avian wouldn't have beaten you as quickly as she did." Elysia harped.

"The freak got lucky, that's all." Frea seethed. I could feel Serina's anger growing into molten lava as Frea continued with her insults. "Someone like her can't possibly hope to be the King's Blade. That is a title that solely belongs to Bartholomew." Serina, having reached her limit, snapped her teeth right in front of Frea's face and letting out a deafening roar. Frea flinched and screamed out in fright.

In response a red dragon landed in front of Frea, coming to her aid and letting out a warning. Not in the slightest intimidated, Serina accepts the challenge with another roar filled with raw power, ending with a growl of her own. The dragon's muscles tensed up, readying for a fight.

A fight that never happened as a white dragon landed beside Serina. Growling with an impressive pressure that forced the red dragon into submission. Lowering its head to force Frea to walk away with a light push to its rider's back. "Thanks Kenai. But I could have handled it." Patting his snout with affection. Serina nudged her own thanks against the shoulder closest to her.

"I know you could have. But Gurine needed to be put in his place." His gaze never straying from the red male as long as he remained in sight.

Zander unexpectedly wrapped me in a quick hug, standing stiffly until he released his embrace, "Don't let her words get to you Avi. She is just a naturally mean person. She thinks she deserves to have things be handed to her instead of working for them."

Elysia nodded while putting a hand on her hip, "Besides she is a Bartholomew follower. Both are just a pair of nasty riders. Frea just thinks since she is close to Bartholomew she has the right to bark orders at everyone else."

"Everyone in the Kingdom hates them well except for their followers that is. Even the King tolerates them because he and Bartholomew have been best friends since forever." Neiska chimed.

Valder snorted at his sister's words, "I don't know how he stayed friends with Bartholomew. If I were him I would have kicked him to the curb a long time ago." His expression startled as it flitted over to Kenai who had been listening. "No offense." Valder quickly added on.

"None taken. Hakeem is blind to Bartholomew's behavior towards others. I have told him repeatedly but he chooses not to listen. If I had the power to, I would have kicked Bartholomew out of his position long ago myself." Kenai growled in irritation as smoke rose from his nostrils.

"Anyway don't let her get you down Avi. Everyone is rooting for you to become the next Blade. It is obviously your destiny. Not even Bartholomew or Frea can take that away from you." Jayce cut in. "It has been a long day. I say we go get some food." The boys cheering at the prospect of food as the girls rolled their eyes.

Valder and Zander threaded their arms through mine and pulled me towards the direction of the castle. For once I didn't fight it. The rest of the evening pasted with endless laughter as I interacted with my new friends. I had never been this happy back home. Sadness overtook the joyful atmosphere as thoughts of Jake and Dax crept through my mind. Dispelling the thoughts from my head as best as I could, I turned over to get into a more comfortable position to drift to sleep.

------------------------------------------------------

The second part of the last of the updates is now complete. Onto the 3rd part!!! If you enjoyed the chapter or have ideas on how to improve the chapter please let me know,

Vote, Comment, and Keep Reading! See ya in the next chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

275 23 11
Raven was a girl born to a father who was abusive and harsh. He believed everything needed to be done through pain and power. Raven had only her sist...
4.1K 410 71
Beneath broken stone and warped metal, a solitary raven panics as it senses imminent danger. It escapes certain death mere seconds before the structu...
493 33 11
Illara had trained all her life for this moment. She had been chosen - from all eligible women throughout the three kingdoms - to be presented to the...
1.9K 78 31
Shinnrae Netherbane had always been trained to do everything a normal lass wouldn't do--she was never interested at all in the world of fancy frocks...