I've reincarnated into the ev...

By MewsTwo

Bernald Tanzanite suddenly remembered he was in an otome game. He was the secret hidden evil character, who p... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17

Chapter 16

2.4K 117 43
By MewsTwo

I've reincarnated into the evil character, but somehow I've healed them?
Chapter 16
==================================

*- Nurse's Office : Laurence POV -*

I want to feel small.

When I look at clouds, it looks so otherworldly. And when I see the starry sky at night, I realize I'm just a spec of dust floating in the galaxy.

When I think of that, I can't help but forget all the bad things.

Bernald : "...Is he okay now, Sensei?"

Sensei : "It doesn't look like anything is wrong with his body. He should be fine to go home for today."

Bernald : "Thank you Sensei for your time. I'll take him home when he wakes up."

Sensei : "Remember to lock the door when you leave. Then, excuse me."

I heard the sound of a rolling chair, then the door closing. Opening my eyes, I could tell it was getting dark. Bernald-san was by my side, with a worried look. I was about to get up from the bed, but he gently pushed me back down.

Bernald : "Don't get up yet. *Sigh,* do you know how scared I got when I saw you on the floor? The students inside the classroom had to snap me out of it to move. ...What happened to you?"

I recall my memories from then. The chill of her nails, and the crazy laughter before I passed out.... Was that really real...?

Laurence : "I... I met Rosa Spinel."

Bernald : "!!! What happened?!"

Laurence : "Like Diago-san... b-but I don't think I c-can...!"

I felt Bernald-san's hands on mine. I hadn't realized I was gripping my shoulders that hard. He sat down on the edge of the bed, and held them between his palms. Repeatedly, his thumbs smoothed the back of my hands. It was so comforting...

Bernald : "You don't have to force yourself to say anything. It's okay now, Laurence. It's okay... come here."

Once I realized it, I was leaning on Bernald-san's shoulder. His arms were wrapped around me, patting my back. The fear was fading away, the warmer my heart became.

Laurence : "B-Bernald...san...uuu... *sniffle*"

I silently cried into his shoulder, clutching his back. Hasn't something like this happened before...? I was in his arms, trying to hold back my tears... But it's a little different from then.

I think I can let it all out in front of this person.

==================================

*- Laurence's Home : Bernald POV -*

It was completely dark by the time we left the school. Laurence, with his tear-stained face, got lots of attention while we headed to his house. Even more so, for pinching the edge of my jacket like a little kid. *Cough...* It was very cute.

Once we got there, I quickly pushed him inside. I told him to get a lot of rest for tomorrow, and said goodnight. He looked a little down when I turned down his offer to sleep over. I think it was for the best. Laurence should have some time alone to wind down.

When I arrived at the Sphene mansion, I hurried back to my room. Changing from my suit to a comfortable pair of white pajamas, I sat down at my desk and turned on the lamp. In front of me, were files of all the characters in Magical Kingdom: Light. It had their basic profiles and involvement in the routes. It was purely written by memory, and was very sparse with info, but as time progressed I slowly remembered a few things.

Picking up Laurence's file, I looked over what his route was basically like. Meeting the heroine in the garden, persistently pursued by her, his kuudere showing more dere, completely kawaii moments... his route is pretty straightforward.

But... things turn bad during the school festival. His identity as a magical beast is almost exposed, reminding him that he's a dangerous being. Desperately searching for him, the heroine finds him in the forest not far from the parade. He struggles with his past, and indirectly confesses to the heroine. Telling him she'll stay by his side no matter what, they finally admit their feelings.

It's a feel good moment, with fireworks in the background and the slow and heartwarming music. I saved that CG on my phone as my homescreen for a month. It brought a tear to my eye every time I looked at it!

As a 100% completionist I always like to keep and eye out for hidden lore. A detail of there being a sealed boulder nearby could never be missed by me!

If Rosa Spinel is planning to make a move tomorrow, she would definitely take advantage of this. Thinking more about this, she shouldn't be able to undo the seal by herself... but could she? Certainly she's evil enough to do it, but she doesn't even have the right element to control that beast.

Rosa Spinel had used a magical beast before... the lizard. She didn't control it, but just made it stronger. Diago was the perfect prey for it at the time, and it worked in her favor.

...I should try and find it tomorrow. If it happens and I'm not there, it could be what kills thousands of citizens in one go...

*Gulp...* I've made myself worried... L-Let's look at someone else's file. Richard's file is also straightforward. And Diago's.... This game...is so cliché. It's a typical school setting, with a social class system. Transcending the social barriers and picking the fruit of love... it's really normal.

What got me so into this? If I'd never picked it up, I wouldn't have....

Bernald : "...."

I closed the file, and set it aside. It doesn't matter anymore. What happened, can never be changed now. I've lost my life, and I've lost her.

==================================

*- Entrance to Pink Star Academy : Laurence POV -*

The school spirit was at an all time high, everyone was super energized. Students were setting up their unique stalls and prepping food. Goldfish, lottery, takoyaki, cotton candy, and other ordinary festival stalls were present.

There were some unusual ones as well. Some shady fortune telling, miraculous healing potions, or a karaoke machine were set up. But with this much variety, people are going to love being here.

I had a good feeling in my chest. Today...is going to be fun. With Brittania-san and Bernald-san...

...Did we agree to meet somewhere? Umm... hmmm...

Laurence : "I'm here too early! There's no classes today..."

My heart was racing at the thought of eating cotton candy and exploring all the festival stalls. Having fun, chatting about small things, and playing games together were everything I was hoping for the moment I woke up.

Standing in the present day cleared my mind. I have nothing to do for seven hours!!! If I just stand around, I'll get in the way. I can't help it because I can't talk to others. If I go into the classroom I'll be sitting by myself and if anyone comes in I'll be forced into a one-on-one conversation! My worst nightmare!

Alright, I'll just turn around and leave...

Brittania : "Is that...? Laurence-san, I'm so glad you're here this early!"

Recognizing Brittania-san's voice, I feel somewhat relieved to see someone I know. When I looked over behind me I was in shock. She was wearing a maid outfit, complete with ears and a tail!

Laurence : "W-Why are you wearing those clothes? Is someone bullying you?"

After blinking a couple times, she made an understanding "oh~".

Brittania : "No way, I'm everybody's goddess of salvation! (*cutesy wink + peace sign*) This is called 'cosplay,' as I've been told by Bernald. You can dress any way you want."

Twirling around in a circle, her dress fluttered. Striking a heroic pose, several people came up to her to take pictures.

Brittaina : "The maid outfits were always appealing to me, and the accessories were from Reina-senpai. It's cute, isn't it?"

The quality of the cloth was excellent, and the style very fitting for her personality. There were lots of frills underneath, and the pinafore apron was pink with many strawberries and leaves embroidered on. The ears and tail... strange, but not bad at all.

Laurence : "Before, did you need me for something?"

Brittania : "Yes! Yes, I did need you. Come with me to the club room!"

We rushed into the school and speedily walked into the biggest club room. As more people joined Brittania-san's club, they needed more space. I think Bernald-san said they were doing an exhibition.

I realized that I had found the secret society. The forbidden artwork Diago-sama talked about were at every table, and all kinds of...tastes...were...

I couldn't advert my eyes to anywhere else. It was all around me. All sorts of colors became blurry as we walked further in. Sweat started to drip from my forehead, as I started to feel at a loss. Naked...somehow I feel naked...

Laurence : "Th...there's so many books...are these all hand drawn?"

To keep my mind from being befuddled, I avoided asking why I saw myself in questionable positions and with blushing cheeks.

Brittania : "They are~ Its amazing seeing so many artists contribute to a fandom. But of course, everything here is censored, but it's all in the back. It's our official debut to the outside world, so we'll have more of the softer ones up front. Now hurry up and get over here."

Laurence : "Softer? Censored...? But you can pretty much see everything...they're just black lines...."

We entered a backroom filled with paint and materials for costumes. There were some club members still dressing themselves, and using mirrors to apply makeup. Brittania-san pulled me toward a rack of finished costumes, and started to look through them.

Laurence : "You're going to make me cosplay?"

Brittaina : "Of course! You're plenty good-looking I'd be a waste not to, and if we're walking around the festival we can promote our club! Its two birds with one stone. Ah, here it is."

She pulled from the rack a guard's uniform. Rummaging around, she brought a whip, handcuffs, white gloves, a guard's cap, and a pair of leather boots. Brittania-san's eyes were sparkling with excitement, and I could feel some other people looking at me the same way.

Laurence : "I'll put it on...is there a changing room?"

*- Few minutes later -*

Everything fit perfectly, making me suspicious about how Brittania-san knew my sizes. I pulled the cap down to above my eyes, and looked at myself in the mirror. It was unusual to be dressed in a way I almost couldn't recognize myself. With this sort of authoritive look, I felt like a different person. Posing in various ways and using the items on my waist, I started to enjoy this new look.

Brittania : "Seems like you really like it~ Looking cool, Laurence-san!"

When I realized everyone here looking at me, I hid my face behind my hands. I totally forgot where I was...!

Mad Scientist : "Kyaaa~ it's Bernald-san!"

Pastel Lolita : "Oooh, how lovely..."

Bunny Prince : "S-Suck my blood, count-sama!!"

A massive crowd gathered at a changing booth at the far end of the room. Towering over them, was Bernald-san dressed fancily like a vampire. He wore aristocratic attire and donned a cape. His fake black nails were long and sharp like claws, and on one hand was a lace wrist cuff that was connected to a purple ring.

In every sense, it was a cosplay that a lot of thought was put into. Spotting me, Bernald-san made a big smile, intentionally showing off his pointy fangs.

Brittania : "Everyone disperse! There's still a lot to set up! Finish putting on your cosplay as soon as you can to help out!"

After a quick word from Brittania-san, the crowd split off back to festival mode. Brittania-san pulled us together, and spoke in a bright tone.

Brittania : "Now that both of you are all dressed, go and advertise!"

Bernald : "But there's no citizens in the school yet. There's...another five hours to go."

Brittania : "We'll go around the festival together later. Head out into town!"

Laurence : "W-what?! Dressed like this? It's kind of embarrassing...."

Brittania : "That's why you're going as a couple. You've done it before, another date should be fine."

A-Another...? Hold on, she knows that happened? I must have made a weird look, since Brittania-san explained herself.

Brittaina : "One of my earliest followers told me alllll about it. Hold on... there's something on your mouth, let me get that for you~"

Pulling out her handkerchief, she pushes it to my mouth. Ugh...I feel so ashamed! Memories are coming back to mind... I glanced at Bernald-san. He faced the other way, covering his mouth. He's laughing at me! So obviously laughing!

Bernald : "A-Ahem... We'll be going then. Shall we, Laurence-san?"

Taking my hand, we walked outside of the back room. I felt slightly relieved that we could get out, but we just stepped foot back on forbidden territory...!

Several gazes and looks were thrown at us; some felt blazing hot. All I could do was hide behind one hand while Bernald-san led us through.

I heard some whispers like, "are they for real?" And, "is this canon?" Whatever it means, noooo! We're not in that kind of relationship! He is handsome and has many qualities to like, I just admire him. So no more...no more art like that!

==================================

*- School Garden : Bernald POV -*

Bernald : "So, um... Let's get down to business, shall we?"

Laurence : "...Okay."

We sat at our usual bench, but dressed in our flashy cosplays. Laurence sort of hung his head while gripping his hands together. ....Hm. I've already gotten used to it.

Bernald : "Yesterday, we planned to find Reina-sama and ask her some questions, but the festival isn't a good time. For a change of plans, I need you to find me something."

As the sole character to see that weird rock, he should have a high chance of finding it. Plus, he's like a dog that has a nose for finding magical power. Lifting his head up, he wearily agreed.

Laurence : "What am I looking for?"

More like smelling...

Bernald : "Something that's like me. Weak, but feels like there's nothing inside."

Laurence : "Oh... I think that'll be a bit difficult. In this form, I mean. You'll have to... hold onto my clothes for me."

Leaving the bench, he crouched down on all fours. Suddenly, a cloud of smoke surrounded him, and appearing was a large wolf. Its fur was the same dark blue, and its eyes still tourmaline.

Laurence : "P-Please don't stare..."

Bernald : "You look...really cute. Super cute. Can I pet you?"

I reached my hand out and started to rub his head. Scratching behind his ears and then pinching his cheeks...ah. So adorable~ Playing with his face, I pulled his cheeks back to make him look silly.

Laurence : "Nyoooh~ Stahp~"

Breaking free from my hands, he growled. Angrily reprimanding me, he nipped at my fingers, but not hard enough to hurt. It felt like he was just nawing like a puppy.

When he had enough, he sniffed the air. Afterwards, his nose went to the ground, following a trail. It looked like he found something, so I hastily picked up his clothes.

We left the garden, and entered outdoor corridors supported by marble pillars. Passing through, we started to walk down a path into the surrounding forest. I started to feel that we were getting closer to that place. Picking up the pace, we ran down a hill and maneuvered through trees. I got caught by a couple bushes, but Laurence helped pull me through.

When I started to think we went to far in, there was a clearing ahead of us. Hoping for a break, we rushed in and collapsed onto the grass. I am so out of shape...but it looks like Laurence is too.

Laurence : "I think this is it. I don't really smell anything here. Is that boulder what you were looking for?"

I wiped my forehead. Indeed, the boulder I was looking for was there. Smaller than it seemed, a couple of paper seals were slapped on. Exactly how it looked on screen.

Bernald : "This is it...! Hah... thank goodness you found it."

Laurence circled the boulder. He stayed a reasonable distance to sniff it, inspecting the seals.

Laurence : "Bernald-san, can you explain what this is? I'm not sensing any good vibes around it. It feels like some kind of beast..."

Bernald : "Sorry I didn't say anything earlier. I'll tell you all about it."

From start to finish, the Godzilla level beast to Rosa Spinel's actions, were clearly explained to Laurence. He's been my right-hand man in my investigations and is probably the next target for Rosa Spinel. Being prepared should give him some degree of safety. I kept out the stuff of how I knew such a monster existed, and emphasized my counterattack plan.

Bernald : "I'd like to guard this place during the festival, but Brittania-sama's expecting us to come back. Since we don't know when she'll make her move, we'll follow her instead."

Laurence : "Couldn't we just tell Brittania-san about this? She'll understand."

Bernald : "I'd rather keep it from her. This is her first school festival with friends she's open with. I don't want her to be bothered by this. But this is your first, as well..."

I felt really bad making Laurence do all these things today. He was supposed to be having fun with his classmates, but he's here helping me with Rosa Spinel. While I was wallowing in shame, Laurence stepped over to me. He pawed my foot, getting my attention.

Laurence : "It's alright, Bernald-san. I'm glad I could be of use to you. So... don't look so down, okay?"

I could imagine his angelic smile gracing me with warmth... Emotional, I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him into a wholesome hug. His chin was resting on my shoulder like a baby would. He was a bit big in my arms, but I love big dogs.

Bernald : "Awww... you're so sweet."

Laurence : "Oof... B-Bernald-san, we should hurry back to enjoy the festival. While we're having fun, we can look for Rosa Spinel as well."

After suggesting so, we headed back towards the school. Laurence turned back into his human form, and dressed himself in the woods. Already, the sky was turning orange and pink above us. Some clouds still lingered, but they were fading away unnoticed.

Laurence : "Do you like gazing at the clouds?"

Bernald : "Hm? Was I staring that long?"

He shook his head. Looking up himself, his lips made a small smile.

Laurence : "You just seemed like you drifted off into deep thought. Clouds look flat at first, but if you stare at them longer they're really just shapeless puffs of white."

I saw a cluster in the distance, and really stared at it. Once I saw the outlines of the puffs, it felt like one of the paintings of heaven on a ceiling. It was strange comparing the real thing to a painting, but somehow these shapeless puffs were more beautiful than baroque art.

Slipping through the last bit of forest, the sounds of voices and music echoed from the academy. Paper lanterns were strewn above the stalls and across classroom window to classroom window. The red lights casted an orange-red glow over everything, truly feeling like a festival.

Citizens from the town and as well as students and their servants were enjoying themselves. Some people traveled in groups, spending some money for some sizzling yakisoba or freshly webbed cotton candy. The grease and grill's sizzling could wet the appetite.

Laurence : "Oh~! Bernald-san, let's meet up Brittania-san!"

Without having to turn around, I knew he was swept up with the excitement.

Me too...!

Running through the crowds, we held hands to not lose each other. The voices of everyone we passed by were roaring, so loud and dizzying, but it felt right. When we could finally get to the center of everything, an inexplicable feeling of happiness and sense of self washed over me.

Bernald : "I'm really here... Seeing, feeling, and smelling everything around me! It's for real. I'm not just looking through a glass screen. I'm physically standing here, in this magical world..!"

Laurence : "Um, what did you say? I can't really hear you!"

Bernald : "It's nothing!"

I started to feel some tears come down, but I quickly wiped them away. What came over me...? Brittaina-sama should be somewhere around here...

Peeking above several heads, were a pair of cat ears. Maneuvering our way towards them, it really was Brittania-sama. In her hands was a stick of yakitori and a paper bowl of takoyaki.

Brittaina : "Mpmh. Where were you guys? I'm already on my second round."

Bernald : "You could have just held off for a bit longer... Can I have my purse back?"

She dug into her maid oufit's apron and pulled out a dark purple coin purse. Checking whatever I had left, I was glad she didn't use a lot. This is my only spending money, and the rest is safely in my bank account. Laurence probably doesn't have enough money to waste, so I was thinking of treating him for all three days.

Bernald : "Okay, since we're all here, let's go have some fun!"

Brittania and Laurence : "Yeah!!!"

==================================

*- Few Hours Later -*

Laurence : "Brittania-san, let's go over there! I think there's calamari baskets!"

Brittania : "*Sluurp!* My mouth is already watering... Bernald! Stay here with our prizes, we'll come back with more food!"

The two re-entered the crowd for a fifth time, already experts at surfing the crowd. I carried the stuffed bears and moneys to an empty bench, and finally relaxed. Honestly....how do they have so much energy? We went through half of the school eating and playing games. I don't know how much they've eaten, but I can definitely count at least twenty purchases.

For the more athletic games, they absolutely destroyed them. Laurence is already naturally gifted, but Brittania-sama is almost equally as fit. All those hours afterschool have not gone to waste. I have to admit, they looked really cool on the basketball court.

The amazing dribbling by Laurence and Brittania-sama's perfect copy looked so familiar...but where have I seen it? Eh, I'll remember it later.

As I watched the numerous familes and students pass by, I started to recall my past life.

Me and Kimiko went to a similar festival like this one, except on a smaller scale. She wore a beautiful yukata that suited her peach-colored hair. We explored every stall, and tried a shot at each game. Every year it was the same; but each time was special to me. Those precious moments only happen once.

I couldn't fully enjoy my time with my parents before they passed away. I regret so many things I could have done, what I could have said. So I have to put in my all on having fun, and building relationships. Because you never know when it might end.

Our usual choice for a treat was a caramel apple for me, and cotton candy for Kimiko. I always had enough for an apple, but Kimiko only had enough for cotton candy. She usually spent her money on otome games and such, and at that time of year she'd be broke. We'd share it, feeding each other when the other finished chewing. Somehow, it felt more filling to feed someone rather than eating it yourself.

I checked inside my purse, and only found that I had a few copper coins left. I guess this year I'm getting cotton candy. After purchasing a stick, I tore off a piece and let it dissolve in my mouth. Sweet and sugary, like those memories....

Rosa : "Oh ho~? I thought vampires only drank blood."

That coquettish voice was easily recognizable. She sat to my left, nibbling on a caramel apple. Eerily she was wearing the exact same yukata my sister wore. It was too much of a coincidence. I was a bit shaken, but I hastily focused on something else.

Bernald : "I've heard all about what you've done. Could you give it a rest? It's been bothersome."

Rosa : "I could say the same to you. How come you're fixing everything up when I'm trying to ruin things? Aren't you supposed to be busy with bigger schemes?"

Does she not know I'm not really Bernald? I'll just play it safe.

Bernald : "What do you mean by that?"

She let out a large cackle. After taking a bite out of her apple, she grinned. In front of us, the crowd was separating in the middle for the parade. The large, glowing paper lantern floats started to come down the road. The amazing craftsmanship portrayed two warriors battling a dragon.

Rosa : "Oh, I know everything, Bernald. You suffered a loveless childhood caused by your noble father. Left to fend for yourself on the streets, the Duke Sphene took pity on you. But that resentment of nobles runs deep in your blood. The release of a magical beast would be devastating to the entire kingdom, especially to the nobility. Let's see... did I get everything right~?"

I didn't like how she summarized my whole life story. Although it's now mostly Fubuki's memories, I still experienced those hardships.

Bernald : "I won't let you hurt anyone else, Rosa. If you do, I'll make sure of it that you'll be a worthless pile of bones."

Meaning, I'll eat you like the original Bernald did.

For once, Rosa wasn't smiling. She carelessly threw away her popsicle stick onto the ground. Rising up from the bench, she pointed at the sky. It was dark, with a few stars twinkling. The parade behind her was ramping up; other clubs demonstrated performances and wowed the audience.

I started to feel uneasy. What was she doing?

With the widest smile I had ever seen, she said....

Rosa : "It's time for the main event."

*BOOM!*

The colorful lanterns and fesitval stalls exploded. Flames consumed civilians, and chased children across the ground. The cheery atmosphere was replaced with terrified screams and painful sobbing. As if the entrance of purgatory opened, it pulled everyone down into its hellfire.

Bernald : "What...!?!? ROSA!!!"

I grabbed her by the collar, lifting her a few inches off the ground. I tried to spit out an insult, but I was so horrified as to what she had done. All I could do is stare at her in disbelief, as she rejoiced.

Rosa : "Hahaha...! Are you going to eat me? Soooo many people are dead. Is my life really enough to avenge this tragedy? Don't worry, I'll kill even MORE! So many, that there won't be enough people to bury all the corpses!"

She snapped her fingers in the air. Right away, the ground started to shake.

Bernald : "You didn't just-!"

Rosa : "Oh YES I did! How does it feel, huh? I am absolutely estastic! Being in control of this world is the biggest cheat! Everything should go the way I want it to...even my happy ending."

I didn't process a word she said. I let go of her collar, and started to run towards the fire. Brittania and Laurence are in there. They're in there.

My two important people are possibly hurt, or even worse. Are they okay? I hope they are. They better be okay. Brittania isn't that strong... and Laurence... No...!

Bernald : "He might be panicking!"

==================================

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 191 13
After the accident, our protagonist awakens in an unfamiliar and opulent world, but with memories that do not belong to her. As she tries to make sen...
31.7K 1K 17
Did I kill my first mate? Yes Did I save the future alpha's life? Yes Did I die or sleep for 17 years and now look like a twink? Absolutely Is life...
281K 11.2K 20
[COMPLETED] Aiden searched high and low for Fox, his best friend from the institution four years ago. After the incident that nearly took their life...
961K 56.7K 59
Published on 4/5/20 In Neo's past life, he was a wicked person who sought to kill his little brother, the rightful heir of a Ducal House. His conspir...