True Heir

By euphoria_nina

So, apparently the richest man in the state is now close friends with me, a diner girl. And apparently his be... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 43: II
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Epilogue
Reminder to Rude Readers

Chapter 7

128K 3.4K 91
By euphoria_nina

Chapter 7

"Nina! You were supposed to be cleaning my office five minutes ago!" Marian boomed from downstairs. I was upstairs right now cleaning her room.

This is how I get punished for hanging out and talking to the CEO of Hawkins Corp.

I rushed down to her office and started cleaning.

There were papers on her desk which I didn't dare touch. I just cleaned around them wiping her desk and vacuumed the carpeted floor.

My phone started ringing in my pocket, so I shut the vacuum off and dug out my phone.

I looked at the caller ID: Jake Hawkins.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Nina. Uhm, are you busy right now?"

"No, not really."

"So, uh, are you doing anything on Saturday?" He asked nervously.

Huh, why is he nervous?

"Uhm, I have work. Why?"

"Well, there's this charity event and my mom doesn't want me to go alone. She apparently likes you very much, so she forced me to take you."

"So, you want me to go to the charity event with you?" I asked teasing him little.

"Yes. So, will you?" he asked, a bit of nervousness in his voice again.

I chuckled silently. "What time?"

"Six o'clock. It's gonna be at the Seaside Hotel."

"But my shift ends at 5:30, I don't think I'll make it in time."

"Leave that to me." He said and another voice called him. "Mr. Hawkins, the meeting is about to start."

"Yes, thank you." he replied to the man.

"I'll pick you up at work, alright?"

Well, I haven't said yes, but alright then.

I was about to answer when I remembered I didn't have a dress, or shoes, or make up, or anything else.

"Don't worry, I have a dress and make up and whatever else you need." he said as if reading my mind.

"Okay, then. Yeah, sure."

"I'll see you Saturday." he said and I could practically see him smiling.

"Yeah, see you Saturday. Bye."

"Bye." he said and we hung up.

Saturday at Hawk's Diner.

"Nina, order's up." Sally called from behind the counter.

I walked over to her and grabbed the tray carefully. "Which table?"

"Table five." she said handing a take-out bag to one of the customers.

I went to table five and gave them their meal.

"Here you go sweetheart, chocolate chip pancakes." I said as I placed the meal in front of the six year old girl with pigtails.

She looked up and smiled cheekily at me. "Thank you!"

"You're welcome, sweetie." I said then turned to her mom.

"Here's your coffee and blueberry muffin." I said smiling placing her food on the table.

"Thank you." she said smiling softly at me.

"You're welcome, enjoy your meal."

It wasn't so bad working here. Everyone here was nice and easy to get along with. Sally, the cashier, was in her early thirties and works here at the same time that her husband's at work. Our boss, Mr. Jacobs was in his early forties, he barley comes out of the office cause he's doing paperwork, or he's in the kitchen helping our cook, Joe. Mr. Jacobs is really a chef at heart.

Our uniform luckily wasn't bad. We were just required to wear a decent plain black v-neck shirt that was tucked into some light jeans with a thick dark brown belt, black flats, a white waist apron that had the logo of the diner, and a name tag pinned on my shirt on the left breast area.

I turned around and was headed back to the counter when I heard a familiar voice.

"Well, that was cute." I looked up and saw what I expected, pitch black hair and shinning blue orbs.

Jake Hawkins looked so out of place standing there in his formal Armani suit, but this time without a tie.

Well, of course everyone was staring. I mean you don't expect a billionaire to be standing here in a normal casual diner in an expensive suit and shiny silver Rolex talking to a diner girl.

"Jake? What are you doing here? It's still early." I asked confused. I then looked down to see that he was already holding my bag which was supposed to be behind the counter. "And, why do you have my bag?"

"Oh, I got it from Mrs. Andrews." he said jerking his thumb to Sally. He then looked at his shiny watch and back to me. "It's already four o'clock, so we have to go now."

I blinked at him. "What? Jake, I still have an hour and a half of work and I don't wanna get into trouble with Mr. Jacobs, even if he's nice he doesn't like people breaking the rules." I stated and went back to the counter.

He grabbed a hold of my wrist stopping me. "Don't worry. You're not gonna get into trouble because I own this place."

I sighed dropping my head. "Apparently, that doesn't surprise me."

He chuckled and pulled me with him. He grabbed the tray in my hands and untied my apron dropping them both on the counter beside the cashier.

"Tell Mr. Jacobs I got her, alright?" he said to Sally.

"Will do, Mr. Hawkins." Sally said smiling softly at him.

"Thanks, Mrs. Andrews." he said and with that pulled me out the diner to his black BMW.

He opened the car door and let me in before he went over to the driver's side and got in his self.

"So, why'd you pick me up so early?" I asked removing my name tag and putting it in my bag.

"Mother's orders. She wants to make you over." he said sighing.

I turned to him and raised my eyebrows. "Wait, what? Your mom is gonna fix me up?"

He nodded. "Yup. Sorry, she never had a daughter and I never brought home or had any close friends that are girls. She's just excited that's all. I hope it's okay with you." he said sheepishly.

I chuckled lightly. "Okay, then. Well, your mom seems like a great person, so yeah, I guess it's alright."

An hour and a half later.

Well, who knew getting ready would take so long.

Jamie was actually really fun to talk to. She got all excited talking about how she's always wanted a daughter and have times like this.

She was the one who did everything on me. There were make up and hair stylists of course, but she was the one who instructed them.

My hair was curled and swept to one side, my eyes a smokey color and since my lips had a naturally reddish color, they just put a little lip gloss on it.

Jamie's a fashion designer, she designed my dress which was gorgeous. It was white which made my hair and eyes pop. It was a sweat heart neckline, the top part hugged my curves and had a shiny silver belt wrapped around my waist. The chiffon on the bottom part flowed down to the floor with a slight tail at the back. She gave me a pair of silver stilettos to complete the outfit.

I was already wearing my silver bracelet that my mom gave me so, Jamie gave me some silver earrings with diamonds and a matching necklace.

I told her it was too much but she kept rejecting, telling me that I was the date of his son and I should look my best for everyone. Plus, it's not everyday she has someone to dress up like her Owen Barbie, which I found as a compliment seeing as she was having fun and so was I.

She also gave me a silver and white purse to put my phone and other necessities in.

"Well, you look beautiful." Jamie said smiling as she came in.

"Wow, you look gorgeous." I said eyeing her up and down.

She was wearing a midnight blue dress that also had a sweat heart neckline. It hugged her body and flowed down in ruffles to the ground. The top part was decorated in silver lines and she was wearing silver and diamond jewelry to match. Her black hair flowed down her back and her make up made her green eyes pop.

"Oh, please." she said chuckling lightly. "Come on, it's time to go."

She said grabbing my hand and pulled me towards the door where two butlers were each holding coats.

I handed my purse to the one who came to me and he helped me put the black coat on. I adjusted my hair and buttoned it closed then got my purse smiling a thanks to the butler.

"Let's go, our dates are waiting." Jamie said excitedly making me chuckle as I followed her.

We went downstairs and outside where the limo was and where Jake was waiting standing beside another man.

They both turned to us and I saw the similarities.

He had the same eyes and facial structure as Jake, both had pitch black hair, not to mention the dimples that showed when they smiled. They had their coats on and buttoned.

"Well, you look beautiful." the man said kissing Jamie on the cheek.

"Hi." Jake breathed softly looking at me an emotion in his eyes which I wasn't able to read since Jamie called us.

"Nina, this Jake's father, Harold." Jamie said introducing us.

I held out my hand and smiled at him. "Nina Henderson, nice to meet you Mr. Hawkins."

He shook my hand and smiled at me. "Oh, please, call me Harold. It's nice to meet you too, Nina."

"Now that we all know each other, let's get on our way." Jamie said heading to the limo with Harold on tow.

This woman is really one of a kind with her carefree self.

I felt a hand on my waist and Jake's breath near my ear. "Sorry, she's a bit excited." he whispered amused.

"Yeah, I think it's obvious." I said chuckling lightly as Jake helped me in the limo.

Once we were all inside, we headed to the party.

When we arrived at the hotel I became nervous and I guess Jake felt it because he held my hand gently and squeezed.

"You alright?"

I looked at him and nodded smiling. "Yeah, just a bit nervous. I've never been to these types of things."

"It's alright, just stick with me and you'll be okay." he said smiling at me comfortingly, his sapphires shining and his dimples showing.

I nodded and let out a breath. We were lining up together with the other cars as they unloaded. There were flashing lights and people everywhere.

"Okay, so, Jake don't let her out of your sight." Jamie started.

Jake nodded. "Got it."

She then turned to me. "Stick by Jake cause there will be paparazzi till we head inside. If they ask you questions just keep smiling and ignore them."

I nodded. "Okay."

The car stopped and I looked out the window, yup, definitely paps everywhere.

Jamie and Harold got out of the car first disappearing into the flashing lights.

"Well, here we go." Jake said stepping out of the car.

I grabbed my purse and saw his hand outstretched to me. I released a sharp breath and grabbed his hand as he helped me out, cameras flashing non stop.

I looked at Jake and he looked at me and smiled reassuringly. He held out his arm and I hooked mine through his, clutching on for dear life.

He brought his free hand up and touched my hand that was hooked on his arm and squeezed comfortingly.

I smiled as we walked through the flashing cameras, questions being blown our way.

"Jake! Who's this beautiful lady?"

"Are the rumors about Anthony Blake true?"

"Jake! Is she the mystery girl?"

"Is she your girlfriend?"

"Why don't you want to make a deal with MV Corporation?"

One question after the other. The walk to the entrance seemed so long and once we were inside I finally released a breath of relief.

"Well, I think you cut off my blood circulation." Jake said jokingly.

I looked up at him then released his arm from my death grip. "Sorry." I said smiling sheepishly.

He chuckled lightly. "Its fine. Here let me help you with your coat."

I gave him my purse and unbuttoned my coat turning around as he helped me take it off.

I adjusted my hair again and turned back around to see him staring at me up and down, an emotion in his eyes that I can't quite read.

He blinked as if snapping back to reality. "Wow, you look amazing." He said smiling softly at me and handing me back my purse.

I smiled sheepishly at him and got my purse as he removed his coat revealing his dark gray suit and vest, complete with a white tie and napkin sticking out of his breast pocket.

Wow, he look amazing.

"Thanks. You look great too." I said clutching my purse in both hands.

He turned back to me and smiled holding out his arm. "Thanks. Shall we?"

I smiled and hooked my arm in his and we started up the grand stairway where everyone was either being photographed or staring at us in curiosity.

"Mr. Hawkins." someone called making us turn.

He was one of the paparazzi, but more formal and less...harassing. He was wearing a suit and his hair was neatly done, a camera hanging on his neck.

Jake turned to me. "Uh, it's part of the event..." he said unsure on how to explain it.

I smiled at him and shrugged. "It's fine."

Jake smiled and we both turned to the camera. He put his hand on my waist and I placed both my hands in front of me as we smiled for the camera.

Once the flash went off it happened so fast. More flashes came one after the other.

I was getting uncomfortable and unconsciously moved closer to Jake, my hand going around his waist.

Jake lightly squeezed my waist and pulled me closer.

"Thanks guys, I think that's enough." Jake said and pulled me away as we continued up the stairs.

"Well, that came out of nowhere." I said then realized that my arm was around his waist. I quickly took it back, my face heating up. "Sorry, I guess I got nervous or something."

Jake chuckled lightly and took my hand hooking it in his arm. "That's alright."

When we entered the ball room it was as grand as I expected.

Two huge chandeliers on the ceiling, a grand stage in the middle, tables and chairs decorated with expensive looking plates, glasses, vases and, flowers, lights making the room bright and seemingly sparkly.

Everyone was in expensive suits and beautiful gowns and jewelry, some even had their PA's is gowns as well, if not cocktail dresses.

"I see you made it out alive." Jamie said coming out if nowhere, her arm hooked onto Harold's.

"Thankfully." I said I relief.

She chuckled lightly. "Everyone's buzzing about you two, you know."

"Yeah, that's pretty obvious." Jake said amused.

My eyebrows shot up. "R-really? Why?"

"That's because it's the first time Jake brought someone to an event for years." a new voice said.

A man that looked about Jake's age said. He looked oddly familiar with his dark brown hair and bright green eyes. I shook the thought away as I saw the woman clinging to his arm, I recognize her as a TV host of some famous sports channel.

"You must be Nina." he said holding out his hand. "I'm Jason Fox, you call me Jace."

Now I remember. He owns Fox Industries, an important partner of Hawkins Corp, and another partner that Marian is running after.

I nodded smiling at him. "Nina Henderson."

"It's nice to finally meet the mystery girl." he said smirking at Jake. "Everyone's buzzing to know who you are and the reason why after all these years Jake finally brought a date to an event."

Jake shoved him playfully. "Shut up, Jace. Great best friend you are."

Jace shrugged smiling innocently. "Well, I try."

Jake rolled his eyes at that. "Nice to see you again Jasmine." He said nodding to her.

"Nice to see you again too, Mr. Hawkins."

"Jasmine this is Nina Henderson, Nina this is Jasmine, we met last year when she interviewed me about attending a Blazers game." he said introducing us.

Huh, the Blazers was my favorite team during my high school and college days.

I smiled and stretched my hand. "Nice to meet you."

She smiled at me and I could tell it wasn't fake. "Nice to meet you too."

"Well, the event is about to start." Jamie said excitedly. "Let's go to our seats now."

When we reached our seats Jake froze and I looked at him questioningly. I looked at the table to see the reason.

Kaleb and Tony were there sitting beside each other. Kaleb was beside a girl and another man that looked just like him, but older.

"What are they doing here?" he muttered mostly to his self.

Jace pulled the chair for Jasmine and as she sat down, he looked at us confused then saw Kaleb and Tony sitting there.

Realization showed on his face and he went to us and clamped Jake's shoulder. "Jake, calm down. Please don't make a scene."

"Calm down? I knew they were gonna be here, but why do they have to sit with us?" Jake hissed quietly trying not to attract any attention.

"Jake, just chill."

"How the hell do you expect me to relax?" he whispered, quite loudly actually, causing some eyes to look our way.

I removed my arm from his and pulled his hand down squeezing it. "Jake, please calm down."

His eyes snapped to me and he visibly softened, but his jaw was still clenched.

"Here, just squeeze my hand, don't show it on your face. Think of everyone else, don't embarrass yourself or your parents." I stated intertwining our hands giving it a tight squeeze.

He sighed and squeezed back. "Okay, I'm sorry. Come on, let's go sit down." he said smiling at me and pulling me to the table.

"Why, hello there, cousin." Tony teased and as a result instead of scowling, Jake squeezed my hand and I squeezed back comfortingly.

"Tony, shut up." Kaleb hissed then turned back to us. He smiled softly at me. "It's nice seeing you again, Nina."

I smiled gently at him. "You too, Kaleb."

"So, it's only me who doesn't know my cousin's mystery girl huh." The woman beside Kaleb said standing up.

"Hey, Carmina." Jake said relaxed as they hugged.

He then turned back to me and grabbed my hand. "Nina, this is Carmina Shaw, my cousin-in-law and this is her husband, Matthew, he's Kaleb's older brother."

He introduced us and we shook hands.

"Hi, it's nice to finally meet you." she said smiling brightly. "I've been hearing all these rumors that my cousin's been seeing this certain girl."

I blushed slightly. "It's nice to meet you too. And yeah, we're just friends."

"Of course you are." She teased. "Well, Jake, she is absolutely gorgeous." Carmina praised, and I guess that Jake felt me smiling uncomfortably because he chuckled lightly as his hand went around my waist. I wasn't used to being complimented so much.

"Alright, sweetie. Let's stop harassing her now." Matthew joked, his hand going around her waist.

I chuckled lightly with Jake as he moved his hand on the small of my back. "Alright, I think we should take our seats now."

He pulled the chair for me and helped me sit down. I was beside Jamie and Jake was beside me, with Jace on his left.

The event went on and on. It was actually a charity event that Jamie coordinated. It would've been boring if it wasn't for my table mates.

Since Jake and Jace were seated side by side, I found out that when they were together, they talked as if they were teenagers.

He would constantly tease Jake and I, and Jake would of course attack back by teasing him, as well as using their high school and college years to annoy each other.

We were served food and it was amazing. I don't think I've tasted food that good before. There were programs of singers, videos, and a presentation about what the charity was for.

There were times that everyone mingled and I stood by Jake's side as he talked business with people. Sometimes I would be dragged into the conversation. Apparently a lot of people were really curious as to who I am and why Jake brought me. Of course, Jake would help me answer the questions.

Right now I needed some air so I went outside to the garden. There were twinkling lights and a beautiful fountain. I could smell the sea as the air whipped around me since the beach was just below me.

"So, I'm not the only one who needed air." I heard Jace say behind me.

I turned and smiled sheepishly at him. "Hey. Yeah, I'm not used to these sort of things."

He walked over to me and leaned on the railing I was leaning on, facing the ocean.

"So, why'd you come?" he asked smiling knowingly.

I shrugged. "Jake asked me to come."

"You could've said no. So, why'd you say yes?"

I blinked and thought about it. Why did I say yes?

But before I could answer Jace spoke again. "Tell me, how long have you known Jake?" He interrogated.

"Four months I guess?" I said shrugging unsure.

"Hmm, you know Jake's my best friend, I haven't seen him with a girl for I think, two years? Or is it three?"

My head snapped to him, my eyebrows raised. "You mean, he doesn't have friends that are girls?"

He shook his head. "Nope, he doesn't trust girls as much anymore. Girls just usually use him for his money and power. You're the first that isn't doing that."

"Or are you?" he added accusingly.

"I'm not!" I defended. "I'm honestly not that type of girl. As long as he's a good person, I guess he's worthy to become friends with." I said softly as I looked at the ocean, the moon shinning as I unconsciously twirl my bracelet around my wrist.

"I'm glad that you aren't one of those girls." he said softly making me smile.

"That's a beautiful bracelet. Mind if I take a look?" he asked as my fiddling with it caught his attention.

I looked up at him, then down to my wrist. I took it off and handed it to him.

"Wow, this is genuine silver and real diamonds." he said astonished.

"Yeah, I guess." I said shrugging.

"Where'd you get this? I mean no offense but a diner girl or even a temporary PA isn't that rich to afford this."

I shrugged. "None taken. My mom gave it to me as a birthday present. It was the last thing she gave me before she died."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry."

I shook my head and smiled at him as he continued to look at the bracelet. "It's alright. At least she's happy with my father and brother up there."

"Wait, so are you alone or something?"

I shrugged looking back at the ocean. "You could say that. But I'm twenty two now, I can handle myself."

"Nina---" he started but was cut off my a new voice that made me freeze.

"Well, I knew my eyes weren't playing tricks on me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

942 36 7
"The moment I laid my eyes on you, I knew that you weren't her real daughter, a real daughter wouldn't have five fingers print on a face caused by a...
3.8K 54 19
Hi. I'm Kenzie Anderson. I'm not really good with these things so let's keep it straight forward. My parents just told me that my arranged soul mates...
1.2M 31.8K 31
"Zachary." I snickered. He growled playfully as I laughed, dodging his attempt to grab me and took off running in a random direction. I ran with Zac...
99K 2.3K 23
I'm finally leaving this place! They won't tell me where I'm going though. What will they think of me? Will I like them? Will they like me? Now I'm r...