The difference she made!

By dreamyvoice

Synopsis Can Fajr prove to Khalid and her other relatives that being brought up in a western environment does... More

His view
Her view
The encounter
Family atmosphere (1)
Family atmosphere (2)
Grandfather
More about him
In the mall
Angry
Him again
The secret
His decision
A step closer...
Shocking news!
A challenge
Memories
The engagement
The wedding
His rules!
Bossy
Unpredictable
The feast
care
Improvement
His unnoticeable smiles
His ex-wife
Trust
In Makkah
Together
Caring
"Feel me"
It's love
"Share"
The way to the man's heart...
Planning for a special night
The accident
Healing Touches
His confession
A dose of love
A wife, not a foreigner
Unexpected worktrip
Khalid In Riyadh
A pleasant surprise
A turning point
Shattered and broken
A heart break
A wordless farewell
Longing
Friends in need
Crossing border
Bridging the gap
A final farewell (1)
A final farewell (2)
The End

Her effect

414 23 8
By dreamyvoice

  If equal affection cannot be, let the more loving be me.

Khalid woke up in the morning and looked over at the clock. It was time to get up. He looked around the room, the other side of the bed was empty which meant Fajr was probably in the kitchen.

He wanted to close his eyes and go back to sleep, but he knew if he did, they would be late for the grandfather visit and his work. He lazily crawled out of bed, took a shower and dressed.

He went to the kitchen, and found Fajr busy at the stove, her hair was pulled tightly into a bun at the back of her head. She wore a pastel dress of blue and pink. She not only had breakfast already on the table, she had been also preparing something else.

"Good morning." he greeted.

She turned to look at him and replied his greeting; "morning!"

He stepped closer and watched as she stirred a pot on the back burner. "you woke up earlier than usual."

"I didn't sleep after Morning Prayer. I had to prepare this vegetable soup for grandpa"

Khalid had a look on the pot as Fajr waved the wooden spoon in the air and told him; "Mom used to say the dishes you make with love, spread your feeling in others' hearts."

She dipped the spoon in the pot, and got it with the soup to her mouth to taste it. Khalid kept watching her. the spoon left her mouth and she smacked her lips. In a very casual way, he caught her hand with the spoon that carried the remaining liquid and moved it slowly toward his slightly-open mouth; "let me taste that."

Fajr stood still as Khalid's lips removed food from the same spoon.

He licked his upper lip and commented; "I never knew love tastes this good. Do you prepare my food with the same feelings?"

it was obvious he was in a teasing mood, she felt the flush climbing her cheeks. her eyes searched his face. Something, unknown, stirred in her heart.

What's wrong with him? No, what's wrong with her?

"You are the one who has the answer." She replied after a while, not wanting him to comprehend how his words made her feel.

He narrowed his eyes and titled his head a little; "how's that?"

"do you taste the same thing in the food I make?"

He considered that, nodded thoughtfully, then unexpectedly smiled genuinely; "clever!"

Meanwhile, Fajr got a notice of the tea boiling and rushing down the side of the tea kettle.

"Oops" she huffed as she released her hand from Khalid's grip, hurried to drop the spoon on the counter and switched off the burner.

"see, this is your fault." she complained and started wiping the spill of hot tea on the stove. he stepped aside and took a seat at the table; "you shouldn't have taken your eyes from it."

*********

On his way to the company, he dropped Fajr off to the hospital. So both got busy and engrossed in their tasks. They didn't have time to think about each other. During the work break, Khalid came to the hospital and he was surprised to find Badriya and Majed in the room, along with Fajr and their grandfather who seemed much better than the day before.

Fajr was sitting at the right side of the grandfather's bed, feeding him slowly, and all the time the old man never looked at the soup or the spoon or the hand holding it; he lay there watching her delight face as she was laughing at the joke Majed had just said. He was occupying the other bed with his mother. As soon as Khalid walked in, all turned their heads to him. He greeted and exchanged formalities with them then stood still, watched them for a while, but he couldn't keep his hands still; they kept plunging into the side pockets of his Thobe.

He was patiently waiting for her to finish her task. Perhaps no one had noticed the change in his facial expression except the grandfather.

"I told you, this old man is in good health. He just likes to have the feeling of being taken care of... here, his granddaughter is feeding him and ready to be his own nurse...what's more to be demanded?" Majed said in one of his joking moods.

He laughed and Fajr smiled, but Khalid and Badriya found no humor in his joke. They kept a straight face as Badriya suggested; "I think it is better to hire a nurse to come to house ... at least a couple of times a week."

Fajr snapped her head and stared at her aunt for a minute. she knew this suggestion was made just to keep her away from her grandfather. Because shortly before Khalid's arrival, the grandfather had informed Badriya that Fajr was capable of measuring his BP at home. 

Fajr simply felt frustrated, and, in that she didn't know exactly what she needed to say.

She dipped the spoon into the remaining liquid, paused briefly before she let the contents slide into the grandfather's mouth.

Then she looked at Khalid narrowly, like she was waiting for him to say something. Much to her surprise, she heard him agree; "I agree with you." Her mouth hung open slightly and her surprise quickly shifted to discomfort.

Although Majed initiated a small conversation with his mother, attempting to convince her that if Fajr was available, why they would need to hire a nurse. Khalid and Fajr kept silent until she stood up with the empty bowl and the grandfather paid her a great compliment on the food. Just then she heard Khalid's whisper from behind; "if you're finished, let's go."

She looked at him with a questioning look, but he ignored that and excused himself instead. he left the room, waiting for her outside.

She was supposed to spend the whole day here just like the day before. How could he just come like that and change plans paying no heed to her. She let out a sigh, then gave a farewell kiss on the grandfather's forehead, and took her leave following Khalid.

******************

She was sitting in the passenger seat, watching the scenery go by. She waited for Khalid to say something but he didn't.

His hands tensed around the wheel. He didn't even put anything on, although it was his habit to listen while driving.

They drove in silence for several minutes until she couldn't hold it in anymore, and wasn't going to be satisfied if not letting it all out.

She looked at him and asked; "What happened?"

From the tone of her voice, he could realize she was angry and saving it up.

He gazed at her and repeated her question as if confused; "what happened??"

"I was supposed to stay with grandpa today..." she said, trying to keep her emotions under control.

"Aunt Um Faiz and Majed are staying with him." There was indifference in his tone, indifference in his expressions. She took a deep breath, let it out, then looked at him again.

"Ok. can I know the reason you agreed with aunt Badrriya while you know that was an opportunity for me to get closer to grandpa?"

"Because she is right." Said Khalid, in a voice less hard and in a tone less indifferent than before.

He slowed the car, then left the highway and returned to it in the direction of their home.

She stifled her frustration, and said in a tone of obvious disappointment; "Yesterday you were thinking otherwise."

"Yesterday Aunt Badriya and Majed were not there."

"How should that make a difference?"

"you don't need to stay there."

"Why not?"

As his jaw clenched and the fine muscles down into his neck became ropelike, it was obvious he was trying to swallow his anger. He looked at her like she was talking in a different language and didn't answer right away, and when she thought he might not answer at all, he said; "Majed is a non-Mehram for you...how many times should I remind you of this?"

She cocked her head and raised an eyebrow; "you don't need to remind me of that. I know it but you make it seem like I am going to stay at his home." Her voice raised a little; "that's my grandfather's house..."

"And Majed lives there." He snapped at her, steering the car to the right side of the street with his left hand.

"So what? Why do you bring his name in everything?"

He fixated his focus on driving, choosing to ignore her question.

"why do you hate him?"

"I don't hate him and I don't like him either." He huffed.

"why?"

"Call it...heart problems. Will you stop arguing now?"

Now he raised his voice,  without looking at her direction, he tried to sound casual, but his tone revealed how much he had fed up with this argument.

They fell silent until the car stopped when he parked the car in the parking lot.

They got out of the car and went into the building and down the hall. He was ahead of her, so he put his key in the door of the apartment and opened it, holding the door open until Fajr caught up and waddled inside too.

For some minutes, he had sat as still as the couch on which he rested, and then, with a voice that could be heard from the bedroom where she disappeared, he called out; "I am leaving."

When she came to the living room, she found he had already left.

Giving a little shrug, she mumbled; "I will never understand him!"

She was about to call her father when her mobile flashed showing a message from Huda. She took a seat and opened it.

"Salam Fajr, we returned from UAE, Can't wait to see you."

"Finally, welcome back. I missed you all. how's Ruqaya and the baby?" She texted back.

*****************

That night, when Khalid came home, he found her in their bedroom. She was in a long silk robe fastened with a belt, sitting on her dressing table, her feet rested on the stool, as she was polishing her toenails. She'd just finished when he walked in. 

For a moment he stood perfectly still, observing her, he'd started to find every act of hers adorable even if it was something so girly like polishing nails. His presence filled the room and she turned to him with a smile; "welcome back." The gentle movement of her head caused her hair to curtain the side of her face.

He nodded with unnoticeable smile while she put down the brush, and bowed further, blowing on her nails. Then she straightened up, moved her feet from the stool and wiggled her legs in the air to quick dry. A desire filled his heart, he wanted to lock his hands around her waist and lift her to the ground, but he chose to distract his attention from her. 

He cleared his throat, gripped the handle of wardrobe, pulling the sliding door open and told her; "can you go to the living room?"

"sure."

She immediately jumped off the dressing table to the floor, thinking he was dismissing her out of the room to get dressed.

His cool voice followed her; "your father is there waiting to see you.".

"My father?" she turned to look at him as he reached out to grab his pajama bottoms; "don't tell me you had ruined my surprise and told him everything about grandpa?"

"go... don't keep him waiting."

She gave him a grateful look and rushed away, leaving the fresh scent of her perfume wafted in the air. 

*******************

Assalam Alikum dear readers

First, thank you for all those who commented and sent me messages, I appreciate your support and kind words.

Second, sorry for the late update, I was caught up with many things...I wanted to make it longer but I don't want it to be delayed...

Finally, thank you again for reading my story, and I'd love to improve it so kindly help me with your comments. 

Enjoy

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 6.7K 22
She live her dream... He make hIs dream true.. she's innocent ! He arrogant ! He is workerholi ! She enjoy her life ! What will happens when Allah...
886 65 8
A Spin-Off of Book I: My Muslim Man _____________________________________ Afaaf, niece of an Arab merchant, has been unjustly imprisoned by the Khali...
5.5K 424 58
Life took a new turn for Faiza when her mother-in-law showed up at her doorstep and made her life hell on earth and when Faiza thought she could deal...
2.6M 134K 49
[reached #1 in Spiritual] 11/17/15- 8/18/16 Amira Abdul is a bright,well educated girl filled with joy and much potential. Is a practicing Muslim a...