The Journal of Dreams (The Ta...

Od JDESoriano

** Peaked at 3rd in #Fantasy & 4th in #Adventure ** One windless summer afternoon, Dari Lamuan unexpectedly r... Viac

Dedication
Map of Tahana
Salialahi Script
Prologue: The Message
Chapter 1: The Silent Winds
Chapter 2: The Song of the Winds
Chapter 3: Of Guardians and Gifted Ones
Chapter 5: Difficult Decisions
Chapter 6: The Arangi Majarani
Chapter 7: The Seabird
Chapter 8: A Surprise Visitor
Chapter 9: A Gulf of Water
Chapter 10: The Pamaya
Chapter 11: Family Matters
Chapter 12: An Old Friend
Chapter 13: A Parting Gift
Chapter 14: The Dark Messenger
Chapter 15: Under a Moonless Sky
Chapter 16: At the Menayagar
Chapter 17: Deep in the Forest
Chapter 18: Tanadiwani
Chapter 19: The Search Party
Chapter 20: An Urgent Meeting
Chapter 21: At the Crossroads
Chapter 22: In the Shadows
Chapter 23: Unsolved Mysteries
Chapter 24: An Unexpected Welcome
Chapter 25: A Familiar Stranger
Chapter 26: The Confession
Chapter 27: Matters of Trust
Chapter 28: The Hooded Visitor
Chapter 29: Back to the Suraya
Chapter 30: Parting of Ways
Chapter 31: A Promise Kept
Chapter 32: The Falling Star
Chapter 33: A New Friend
Chapter 34: The Journal of Dreams
Chapter 35: Regrets and Lamentations
Chapter 36: Desaraya
Chapter 37: Tarasha
Chapter 38: Whispers in the Night
Chapter 39: The Chamarla
Chapter 40: Midsummer's Eve
Chapter 41: Fight and Flight
Chapter 42: The Song of the Waters
Epilogue: The Giant Ships

Chapter 4: A Promise Made

66 6 0
Od JDESoriano

19-2-2-4012 DM, Arang, Telama, Hilaraya

The bells in the tower of the Garalahi had just announced the coming of twentieth hour of light. The sun was almost behind the trees and the western sky glowed in hues of gold and scarlet. In two hours, the sun would finally rest behind the forest of Lemat to the west. Aron Latharen sat in a wooden chair at the southern end of the corridor of the east wing of the Garalahi. His feet rested on a low darkwood footstool and his walking staff was propped up on the wall to his right. He had just come back from the market and his feet were very sore from walking. He regarded the view of the golden rice fields in the south and quietly contemplated on Rami's peculiar revelation about Dari's living day.

How could a haradu be given the wrong gift? It was impossible. Rami told him that Dari was born on the first minute of the first hour of the first day of spring, therefore, by the laws of the Pura na Haradesi, or the Cycle of Gifts, Dari should have received the Gift of the Waters. How then was he given the Gift of the Winds? Nothing could explain what had happened.

"Surely this has happened before..." Aron thought, trying to make sense of it all. Someone at the Garalahi in Kanay would surely be able to tell him that what happened to Dari was not unprecedented. That was normal. But was if it wasn't? What would that mean?

Aron was starting to feel pain on his temples so he closed his eyes and breathed deeply, taking in the comforting scent of the yellow evenblossom flowers that grew in the courtyard. He relaxed his hands on the arms of his chair for a few minutes and was starting to doze off when he suddenly heard a voice to his right.

"Begging your pardon, Periji." It was Rami's troubled voice.

"Ah, Rami. How is Dari?"

"Good, I think. He's still sleeping. I left him in the room with Asha."

"That's good. He needs rest after what happened today," Aron said as he took his feet off the footstool and sat up straight to face Rami. He quickly rubbed his eyes to rid himself of the haze that obstructed his vision. Slowly, his eyesight cleared and he saw Rami's worried face more clearly. He gestured for Rami to sit in the other chair to his left.

"Now, tell me what concerns you, my child."

Rami let out a long sigh. "You told me not to worry, Periji, but I couldn't stop myself. Asha and I don't know how to take care of a haradu. We don't even know what he needs now."

"First and foremost, what he needs now is the love, support, and strength from his parents. Secondly, being new to his gift, he would need someone to teach him how to control his power and how to use it to help maintain Santara."

"Santara? Forgive me, Periji, but I didn't have the chance to study at the Garpanji when I was young. I'm afraid I don't know anything about such things," Rami said as he lowered his gaze and started to study the polished redstone floor.

"That's quite alright, Rami. I will explain."

Rami looked up towards Aron with eyes filled with worry and anxiety.

"Santara is the great force that holds the Eternal Universe of the Suraya together. It is a delicate balance between kegarabara, or the forces of darkness, and chayabara, or the forces of light. Darkness covers much of the Suraya, so in order to prevent the it from collapsing into chaos and destruction, the chayabara has to maintain Santara by keeping their strength in the realms that the Creator made at the beginning of time."

"But what does that have to do with my son, Periji?"

"All harani, like the diwani, have control over the elements and can restore balance where there is chaos and destruction caused by the asuwani, the dark elements of kegarabara. The harani and diwani work together to maintain Santara here on Tahana." Aron stopped and looked at Rami, searching for understanding.

"I see. So, Dari would have to learn to how use his gift and help maintain this... Santara." The last word was still unfamiliar to Rami and it sounded strange in his tongue. "But he already knows what to do, doesn't he? He was able to call upon the winds earlier and he even sang with a diwadu."

"Yes, yes, it was quite remarkable, Rami, but he still has much to learn. I am no haradu, but I know quite a few of them to know that they all spent many cycles learning how to master their gifts."

"But..." Rami began to protest, but after a second, he deflated before Aron.

"Just as I feared. Oh, my son... My dear son..." Rami looked away southwards towards the fields. The wind blew stronger from the west and he drew in a deep breath. The right side of his face was bathed in the faint reddish light of the setting sun and he appeared to have grown older as he sat there, deep in thought. The two of them sat in total silence for a few minutes until Rami finally turned to face Aron.

"He would have to leave then, wouldn't he?" Rami said, his eyes now glistening with unshed tears as his hands tightly clenched the arms of the chair.

"I'm afraid so. It can't be helped. There are no harani here, Rami. The only way for Dari to learn is to find a bayasaraharadu, a master of the winds, and leave Aran," Aron said, reaching out to Rami with his left hand and placed it lightly on his shoulder.

"I understand that Periji, but..."

"Listen to me, Rami. This is very important. If Dari doesn't learn how to properly use his gift, he might end up hurting others, even himself. He has great power within him, as you have seen, and only with proper guidance and training can he use his gift for good. The wind is a strong force that can tear down ships and turn houses into rubble if left unchecked. You have to understand. Sometimes we must let go of those dear to us for their own sake as well as for our own. As a parent, I'm sure you've already anticipated this. I know it is sooner than you expected and it would be painful to part with your son, but you and your wife must be strong for Dari."

"Where would Dari go, Periji? Do you know where he can learn... you know, how to be a haradu? The capital perhaps?"

"Now that you mentioned it... I do know a bayasaraharadu who currently lives at the Perangar Eranga. He is quite –"

"Eranga? But that's far, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is. Dari must go there himself."

Rami sat silently for a few minutes, gazing blankly at the nearby summerstar bush. Aron could see his mind working, trying to understand the implications of what he had just told him.

"Do we need to move to Eranga then?"

"You may... But Dari would have to come back here after his training to serve the people of Arang. It is customary for all harani to go back to their hometown to serve after they reach a certain level of mastery. It may take a couple of cycles, perhaps less, but I don't see the need to uproot yourselves and live elsewhere."

"Then I would take him there myself," Rami murmured softly, but sounding quite determined.

"Asha might insist on going with you."

"Yes, she might..." Rami trailed off, looking uncertain.

"Perhaps..." Aron began, hoping that Rami would consider his suggestion. "I could take your son to Eranga."

"But Periji... I... You're the Pembaji of Arang."

"Don't worry, Rami. If I send a falcon to the Garalahi at the capital early on the morrow, my replacement should be here in a day or two. Besides, I think the Sheriva would enjoy another Pembaji's company." Aron chuckled, but Rami continued to stare at the summerstar shrub.

"Jesting aside, it would be an honour to escort your son to Eranga and introduce him to Saraji Fernon."

"Saraji Fernon?"

"Yes, Saraji Fernon Serbaran. He is the bayasaraharadu who lives in Eranga."

Rami simply nodded but still kept his gaze towards the distant fields to the south.

"I know you worry about son, Rami, so I tell you this. In the Most Divine Names of the Creator, the Mother, and the rest of the Sepalahi, I promise to take care of Dari throughout the journey, keep him from harm's way, and bring him safely to Eranga. I will do this as if Dari was born of me."

"Periji... That..." Rami's voice broke and a tear fell down his right cheek. He quickly rubbed his eyes with his left hand, cleared his throat, and turned towards Aron.

"That is most kind of you, Periji, but I would have to discuss this with Asha first. I'm sure you understand."

"Oh, of course. I understand. Just remember that I am at your service, should you require it."

Aron and Rami sat in their chairs in silence and as they watched the sun disappear behind the trees to the west. The sky was now darkening quickly and twinkling stars started to appear in the sky. The bells of the tower tolled to announce the coming of the first hour of darkness.

Soon, the field crickets filled the air with their song. Aron noticed a soft yellowish light coming from behind, and he knew that the lanterns were already being lit, one-by-one, by their trusty attendant, Mistress Ola. They stayed seated for a few minutes more and savoured the peace of the growing night around them.

"Come now, Rami," Aron said, finally breaking the silence. "Let's see how Dari is doing. Your family can have dinner here with us tonight, if you wish."

"Yes, we might as well have. You are very kind to us, Periji. I deeply thank you," Rami said with a shy smile on his lips. Aron returned it with a warm smile of his own.

Aron took his walking staff as he stood from the chair and gestured for Rami to stand. Rami hesitated for a moment, then finally stood. They walked side-by-side along the east corridor towards the third room at the northern end where Dari and Asha were. As they went closer to the door, Aron could hear some people talking rather loudly. The noise seemed to be coming from outside the temple's main door. Sheriva Gariana's high-pitched voice could be heard over the babble and it appeared as if she was arguing with someone. They were some distance away the main door so Aron didn't understand what was happening.

Finally, they reached the room and Rami pushed the door open. A candle was lit on a small wooden table at the right side of the bed where Dari lay sleeping. The windows were open and the cool night breeze flowed freely into the room. Asha was seated in a wooden chair beside a small table, but her back was straight and her head was leaning slightly towards the direction of the main door. She had a curious expression on her face.

"Has Dari stirred yet?" Rami asked Asha, looking at Dari's sleeping figure on the bed.

Asha shook her head in response.

"I'm trying to listen to the commotion outside. I heard someone mention Dari's name so I got curious. Shush!" Asha held up the pointing finger of her right hand and placed it across her lips, signalling both of Rami and Aron to be quiet. Her eyebrows were furrowed and her forehead creased as she strained to hear the conversation outside. To her dismay, the conversation appeared to be dying down. She let out an exasperated sigh and rested her back against the chair.

After a moment, they heard hurried footsteps on the corridor. Aron reached for the door, opened it, and looked out the corridor to see who was coming.

The angry figure of Sheriva Gariana was stomping down the corridor towards the room, her robes flapping wildly about her. When she reached Aron, she was out of breath. She held her hands to her chest as she tried to catch her breath. Finally, she swallowed and began to speak.

"Oh, those lakani! They refuse to listen to sense, Periji! Oh, by fire and water!" the Sheriva said with gritted teeth. Her round face was red and her thin lips were quivering with anger. A vein was pulsing on her right temple.

"Get a hold of yourself, Sheriva," Aron said as he took a step back from the Sheriva to give her rage some room. Moments later, Rami and Asha came out to the corridor and joined them, looking puzzled at seeing the angry Sheriva.

"Oooh, but those lakani..." the Sheriva continued. She looked like she wanted to bite something. She closed her eyes, drew a deep breath, and released it in a huge sigh. This seemed to comfort her because her face turned less red and her expression softened a bit. Then, as she became more relaxed, she realised that Rami and Asha were there with them and she hurriedly gave them a low curtsy. Asha looked at Rami questioningly. Rami shrugged in response.

"What about the lakani, Sheriva? I heard some argument outside. What do they want?" Aron asked even as the Sheriva was rising from her curtsy.

"Well, they want Dari. They said that the Majarani had called for an emergency council at the Hall and they have summoned the child. I told them that the poor lakanidu is indisposed but they kept insisting!" the Sheriva, replied. Her voice was starting to rise again in irritation but she held herself.

"Why? What do they want of my son, Sheriva?" Asha suddenly spoke, sounding confused.

"Who knows? Those lakani outside didn't say more but they insisted that Dari should heed the summons and go to the Hall immediately. Do they expect him to walk in his sleep? Wretched beings! They wanted to take Dari there themselves but I refused! Yes, I did! I told them that I would let Dari know of the summons as soon as he has stirred and they can wait outside the temple all night long if they wished," the Sheriva said without so much as a pause, and ended it with a gasp for breath and a sigh.

Rami and Asha looked at each other. Both wore worried expressions on their faces but it seemed as if they were having a wordless conversation. Only their eyes spoke but it seemed to Aron that they both understood each other. After a few moments, Asha took Rami's right arm and held her husband closer. Then both looked towards Aron, but it was Asha who spoke.

"Periji, my son hasn't woken up since he fainted more than eight hours ago. We don't even know when he will rouse, if at all. And now, the Majarani is summoning him! What could they possibly want with my son?" Asha looked intently into Aron's eyes and he could see the fear, worry, and confusion in her eyes.

"I don't know what they want, Asha. Summons indeed! The Majarani have their own agenda, which I don't usually care to understand. But don't worry now, Asha, Rami. I will speak with those lakani outside. I would even go to the Hall myself if they need convincing of Dari's current state. I will ask the Majarani to postpone the council until after midday luncheon on the morrow. Dari should have fully recovered by then," Aron said firmly. He held is walking staff tightly as if to show the couple that he meant to do as he said.

"We are deeply grateful for your help Periji," Asha said in response. "And for your help as well, Sheriva."

In the soft light of the lanterns in the corridor, Aron could see that Asha's eyes were starting to well up with tears. She let go of Rami's arm and, with her right palm to her heart, she made a bow to Aron and the Sheriva as a sign of her gratitude. She sniffled softly as she kept her tears inside. Rami followed her example, right palm to heart, and gave Aron and the Sheriva a bow. Aron turned to the couple and bowed more deeply, bending his right knee to touch the floor, and the Sheriva gave them a low graceful curtsy.

Aron saw that Asha and Rami looked very surprised to receive such courtesy and he understood why. The couple seldomly received so much as a nod of recognition from anyone of higher social status in town. They didn't know that being abasaharani elevated their social status above everyone else, even those of the Holy Orders like him and the Sheriva.

"Well then, please see to our guests' dinner, Sheriva. I will deal with the folk outside. I'm quite famished so I hope, for their sake, that they wouldn't take too much of my time," Aron said rubbing his stomach with his left hand.

"Be quick about it then, Periji. Those lakani are much shorter than you so your height alone should intimidate them!" the Sheriva said, chortling, making the couple smile.

"We will expect you at dinner, Periji. Palasari lagi," the Sheriva said with a smile on her face.

"Lan rono morin lagi," Aron said, returning the Sheriva's blessing and giving his blessings to the worried couple. Then, with his staff firmly in his right hand, he walked straight towards the doorway to reckon with the lakani outside.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

1.2M 52.4K 32
Book One in the TPoE series Arabella Rose is sixteen and has lived with her aunt and cousin for most of her life. She had been told that her parents...
207K 8.6K 24
*COPYRIGHT* Nicole Finch, a Fire Elemental with the ability to control the single Element of Fire. She's finally come of age to join a school for oth...
722 101 46
"Once every fifty years, nine guardians are chosen, and have sworn to protect the different worlds and dimensions using the elements that have been e...
167 16 12
6 best friends find out that they are the long lost heirs to the six elemental kingdoms: fire, air, earth, water, lightning, and space. Long ago, the...