Hating the Guy at the End...

By fantasy_differ

They say there's a very thin line between love and hate, once you cross over that line it's hard to jump back... More

Song List (Ordered by Chapters)
Chapter One: Ignorance isn't Bliss
Chapter Two: DickHead, Pencil Dick, and Meatless
Chapter Three: Cruel Intentions (No, not the movie)
Chapter Four: Generous Hand
Chapter Five: Consistent Acts of Misery
Chapter Six: Caught in the Red Light
Chapter Seven: Fine Wine and Dine
Chapter Eight: Difference between Daises and Lotus Flowers
Chapter Nine: Pillowtalk or Regretful self-loathing?
Chapter Ten: The use of Time, and the unforgettable Truth
Chapter Twelve: Psychotic Break down that changed a Daisy into a Tulip
Chapter Thirteen: Righteous Acts
Chapter Fourteen: Good things always start off rocky
Chapter Fifteen: Behind Bars singing Blues
Chapter Sixteen: The Usual Bragging Game
Chapter Seventeen: Burning Flames and Wicked Dreams
Chapter Eighteen: Irresistible Glamour
Chapter Nineteen: Long Drop at the Top of the Social Pyramid
Chapter Twenty: Been Down This Road Before
Chapter Twenty-One: Cheer Sensation
Chapter Twenty-Two: 'Asshole' spray painted in pink
Chapter Twenty-Three: Living in a Facade
Chapter Twenty-Four: The Fox and the Hound
Chapter Twenty-Five: 24 hours...
Chapter Twenty-Six: Time flies when you're High on Life
Chapter Twenty-Seven: At the Court Royal
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Ceremonial Triumph

Chapter Eleven: Royal Dinner

3.5K 203 14
By fantasy_differ

Waking up in Samuel's room for the second time, being wrapped up in his sheets with nothing but his shirt on, smelling nothing but toast and bacon, hearing the low sizzling coming from the kitchen, along with the stock channel playing in the living room; it was all surreal. I thought I had a stroke in the middle of the night and imagining this moment and what happened last night. Samuel and I made a form of connection, it was friendly; we talked to one another without arguing or storming away, he shared his food, we watching tv, wrote on each other's limbs and laughed, we had sex- slow sex that I begged for.

What's happening to me? Why are bees flames growing inside my stomach? Why are the butterflies dancing along the light? Why is my heart beating fast when I think about...him? Oh god, I have a crush on him and I'm only thrown gasoline in that pit of flames and made that crush worse.

I crawled out of bed and walked out the room after getting myself together, Samuel was standing in the kitchen trying not to burn the apartment down. I didn't know rather to get dress and leave or stay, it wasn't exactly another one-night stand. "Hey," I leaned on the kitchen island. "Bacon and toast for breakfast?"

"Yeah, it's better than a protein shake." He set a small plate in front of me holding the grand breakfast I haven't had in forever. Usually I wouldn't eat breakfast or I'll just get a breakfast bar and call it a day. He even went the extra mile in pouring me a glass of orange juice, not really necessary but helpful.

"Thanks." I chuckled while trying to hope into the extremely tall stool. "You going into work today?"

"No, I'm taking a day off, it's been a while since I had that. You?"

I shook my head no, "I get Sunday's off, I try not to call off unless I'm sick or something." I took a huge bite out of the toasted wheat bread covered in melted butter.

"You're going to work yourself to death if you don't get an actual personal time, you know that right?" Turning off the stove, Samuel made his own small plate and sat across from me at the bar- home being tall, he easily slides into the stool. He looks even more relaxed in the morning than at night; hair still a mess, shorts on and a t-shirt as if he's going out to the gym soon; I won't be surprised if he used his day off to go to the gym.

"Yeah, but the bills don't." I comment as if my struggle of living was a natural thing in his world. In fact, Samuel never talked about rather or not his family was a long line of wealth people who owned mansions and law industries, he just told me about the family business of everyone being a lawyer- all the boys following their father's footsteps.

Each brother had the same form of job, but different descriptions; Samuel represented B-listed celebrities and other wealthy families that probably owned half of New York- which makes me understand how he can blow his money as if it were payday every day. His older brother is a divorce lawyer for any class of people, the second oldest is an immigrant lawyer, and third is a regular prosecutor for the victims family's who was apart of murder and other mishaps, and their father, well he only said he was DA- not really shining light on him much. At least not as much as his mother who's not a lawyer, but more of a social worker or use to be after giving birth to Samuel.

It's still true, we didn't get into deep depths of his parents, but in order to explain why he tore his dreams of being a physician by listing everyone's important job. From what I gathered, the way he looked when mentioning his father, the reason why he left pre-medicine to go to study criminal justice during undergrad; he was forced into it, and even now with his brothers having the heavy lifting jobs- his father was disappointed in his line of helping others. Basically his line of work wasn't good enough to make daddy proud, and honestly, I think Samuel is doing a great job. Not because I have a crush on him or anything, I just don't understand how a father, or any parent, can be disappointed of their child.

We ate in silence, a good silence as we ate our small grateful meal. After I was down, Samuel took our plates to the sink and got started on washing dishes- he had kinda a beat freak side of him that he can withstand for a while before it burst out and he wanted to clean everything- I may be exaggerating on that, but I can only imagine him cleaning this place from floor to ceiling. There's no sign of dust or lint, the only thing that was messing is my heels sorta scattered by the couch and the stove with the dirty pan; other than that, this place is spotless.

As I examined the qualities of a bachelor living along, that annoying loud buzz filled the good silence; my spine shivered with the thought of Diana coming back to harass Samuel again, and the fact I had to hide as if us being together was really wrong. Perhaps it is wrong, in a way, but we're two civil single adults with minds of our own.

"Shit, shit, shit." Samuel grumbled under his breath before rushing to the door, but stopped as of conflicted on rather he should answer it or not. Another buzz filled the air, he glanced my way twice and then at the wall where the door could of been if it weren't for that hall space.

"Should I hide?"

"Yes," He said quickly. "No," He said even quicker while shaking his head to make up his mind. "Put on some pants." He ordered before running to answer the door before the person pressed it for the third time.

I rushed myself, basically running into the bedroom to put on the shorts from last night. The door slammed closed, the loud bang made me jump, along with the high-pitched voice that filled the space.

"What?" The woman spoke in a calm manner. "You forgot I was coming, Samuel?" She sound like an older woman with a slight husky voice.

"Sorry, I got side tracked." Samuel wasn't agitated for the woman's arrival, in fact, he sounds almost apologetic as if he was caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

"You've been side tracked lately, apparently. You missed another dinner with Diana and her parents, I had to make some pies poor excuse on why. Saying you're very busy with work, blah blah blah."

"Why didn't you just tell them the truth? I've been urging Diana to do that, I'm about to do it myself if that what it takes."

"You know why, Sam."

"Please don't." He begged, but apparently the woman- which I assume is his mother, continued on.

"Diana is a nice girl, sweet, stable, and soon going to take over her father's country club. You're thirty-one years old. Samuel. You're still living the fast life when you should be settling down with a good relationship that last more than two months, get a wife, have kids."

"Don't you have enough grandkids and daughter-in-laws already? Diana isn't what... she's too... I can't date her because she's not for me. I'm a grown man, can I just live a little without my parents making an arranged marriage behind my back? I'm perfectly fine, I'm keeping my nose clean, working, I'm in my prime."

There was a moment of silence before she spoke again, and honestly, I wish I took better precautions. "Do you have a girl here?"

"What?"

"Samuel Isiah Jones, do you have a girl here? Unless you wear size seven heels, which you do not, there's a girl in this apartment."

I sighed heavily before making myself noticed before she stormed the premises or bite his head off, maybe even both. I stood at the door, arms crossed in front of my chest to hide my bra-less breast after coming back my hair to make it look decent. "Hello," I sent her a small smile, even though it was all extremely awkward. "I'm sorry," I blurted out. "I'm Joy Wesson." I extended out my hand to her by stepped out from my hiding place.

"Mom, this is Joy." Samuel introduced. "Joy, this is my mother, Carol."

The older woman stared at me up and down in disbelief, her soft hands grabbed mine in a firm shake before taking a step back to take me in. "You're fully clothed." That was where she was shocked, my sense of respect to our some shorts on? I'm guessing she ran into her youngest son's one night stands very often. She turned back to Samuel with a form of disapproval in her gaze. "Is this a sign that you're not available? If so, I'll lay off on the Diana subject."

Samuel gave me a look before glancing at his mother, the truth was at the tip of his tongue, he sighed the to push it out. "Mom-"

"How long have you two known each other?" Now she's focusing on me, her dark brown eyes became darker in curiosity, pink gloss covered lips formed into a frown, as her eyes furrowed.

I thought for a quick second, "A week, technically."

"Are you a yoga instructor? Model? Wannabe actress?"

"I'm a waitress." I said timidly, now wondering what type of girls Samuel usually fucks on his spare time.

"Student? Going to college?"

I shook my head no and adverted my eyes to the ground, I felt judged and shamed for not being close to the her standards when it comes down to a woman saying her son. "No," I said in a very timid voice that showed my weakness of being cornered, especially when it comes to a parent of... I can't even say my lover or partner when establishing Samuel and I relationship.

"What can-"

"Mom, please." Samuel stopped the interrogation with the sternest vice he could muster without causing disrespect. "Joy, can you give us a minute?"

I nod my head before sending Misses Jones a small smile, "Nice to meet you." I slipped inside and even took the effort in closing the door to give them some privacy. They spoke in whispers, I barely heard anything or at least I didn't want to hear anything. While they spoke, I took the opportunity to get ready to leave; shower, searched for a spare toothbrush that he had to brought at some point of time if he's inviting all those woman over- I managed to fine one under the sink, still wrapped in its box, ready to be used. I even stole a few clothes, a tight t-shirt he mostly wears to the gym, and the same basketball shorts in wearing now.

By time I pulled the shirt down, the door slide opened to show a defeated Samuel frowning out the ground while kicking invisible rocks, hands stuffed inside his pockets. "Oh no," I voiced. "What did she say? Am I on her disapproving list?"

"What?" He glanced up at me before looking back down. "No, uh, more like the opposite."

"Huh? What did you say to her exactly?"

"Don't get mad-"

"I'm most likely will get upset, but continue."

"I invited you to dinner with my parents."

"Excuse me?" I crossed my arms in front of my chest to show I was upset, which is a overstatement because I'm actually nervous. "Dinner with your parents? Am I hearing this correctly? We're not even dating."

"I told her that. It was either you or Diana, and I can't be in the same room as her anymore. Just come to dinner, be my Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. Just for one night, get them off my ass, make a sup a story if you have to- I will literally get on my knees and beg."

"Well," I swayed from side to side while thinking. "If that means watching you crawl on your hands and knees, maybe even actually beg, along with buying me dinner sometime. I'll consider in helping you out."

Samuel actually got down on his hands and knees, crawled the way across the room to stop at my feet and grabbed my hands. "Please."

Wow, he must really want his freedom. "Okay, fine. I'll go, not because you did all of that, I'm getting use to eating in five-star restaurants."

"Great, with that, call off from work." He stood to his feet and sighed heavily while wiping his knees.

"What?! Why?"

"I do recall in Pretty Woman the whole makeover."

"How many times have your seen Pretty Woman? More than Toy Story?" I teased, causing him to blush from head to toe.

"Hey, I told you that in confidence."

I chuckled and pinched his cheek, "Don't get your panties in a twist, I'll keep that secret. Can I at least work my shift? I get off at four, I think that's enough time from then to dinner for buying clothes and doing makeup. Speaking of work, can you take me back to my cousin's place? I have to get dressed."

"Let me out on my shoes."

*****

"Joy," Diana first approached me when I was putting my phone up after coming from my lunch break. A look of disappointment waved over her as she tried to push it down with a smile, but I can still see it in her eyes. Even though this chick is a thin line from being batshit crazy, I couldn't help but feel sad and pity the fact her own parents tried to force her off to marry a guy like Samuel... a guy I now have a crush on. So, who's the batshit crazy one? Anyway, she stood in front of me in the slightly empty locker room, pushing down that stray thought of knowing Samuel will never be her husband she programmed into her mind nor a guy that would come around with commitment. That strain of hope she has, withered away.

"Diana," It was shake on me to smile in her face as if I wasn't sleeping with the man she likes... that we both like. Diana and I held many differences, from our status to skin color, but we liked the same guy- even though I knew Samuel would never commit or even try to put an effort to make a relationship, Hell, even a friendship.

"I was wondering if you're able to pull a double today. I know it's last minute, but one of our waiters clocked out on the busiest nights of the week."

"Uh, I'm sorry, I already have plans that I've been pushing off for so long. Maybe Anthony can help out, he's known in taking sudden extra shifts."

Another wave of disappointment came through her, making her frown and lose that light in her eyes. "Oh, okay."

"I'm sorry, truly."

"Oh no problem, it is last minute." She voiced before walking off.

I wanted to slam my head into the locker repeatedly until I was bleeding out of my ears. What the hell am I doing? That poor woman, lost in her own mind, conflicted and dependent on her parents say for marriage- desperate to find the one before she hits the age of thirty-five; it was most likely a long way to go for her to hit that point in age. Still, even though she lived in the city, woman her age tend to still get married young and wait to have kids around mid thirties when their careers has taken off.

Just don't think about it Joy, it's only for one night... I took a deep breath to get myself together while tying the apron around my waist. I made my way upstairs to do my waitress duties by serving my assigned tables that's been filled, which was one. Pencil dick and meatless filled the seats, I haven't seen them awhile and worried they were dead (just a tiny worry).

"The usuals?" I greeted them with an effort smile.

Meatless nod his head yes, I came to find out his name was Alex, late last night when Samuel and I were talking. Apparently the four of them, including Gerald, were best if friends during college and grad school. Gerald, of course, knew Samuel longer and these two guys came into play during their third year of undergrad. "Samuel told us you were off limits." His hazel eyes turned brighter from the sun as he scanned my body up and down to either see my flaws or perfection, maybe even both. Alex was a handsome man; hazel eyes, slim fit figure, tall, and raven colored hair with olive skin that showed his Italian ancestry. "Is that true?"

I simply shrugged my shoulders, not willing to answer that entirely, but I should thank Samuel for it.

"Told you he's tapping that." Chaz voice with a sky smile, but he didn't go any further than that truthful and unnecessary statement.

"Guys." Diana approached the table, this time looking a little happier than before. "Samuel is not joining you today?"

They looked amongst each other as if having a mental conversation, Alex was the one to break the ice. "Nah, not today. How's it going D?"

"I'm going to bring back the drinks." I announced as if the three of them would give a crap, which they don't. As long as Samuel's advice about not messing with me involved in keeping our little secret what it was- a secret, specifically to Diana's ears, I don't care if they didn't notice my absence or arrival when I brought them their drinks.

*****

Shopping with Samuel wasn't bad, it was a little weird to have someone else pay for your hair, makeup, clothes, accessories, and shoes. Also, it wasn't like we were in places like Ross nor Macy's, we were shopping in elite stores that I haven't even heard of. I changed in his apartment, the dress was innocent; covered the cleavage, stopped at my knees, wasn't tight, it held short sleeves, and it was a plain burgundy color. My hair was flat iron with a little sweep, nothing too fancy, and my shoes were black flats. It felt like I was actually going to a family dinner instead of another job, it made me feel great- it's been so long since I've been to a family dinner.

Slow your road, Joy, it's all just a hoax...

"You ready?" Samuel stepped out his closet with nothing but fitted dark jeans and a gray long sleeve sweater shirt, while putting on his sliver Rolex. His hair was tamed, and at least he made the effort in putting on dress shoes.

"Yeah, you're not wearing a suit. The restaurant is pretty fancy."

He simply shrugged his shoulders, not because he didn't feel like wearing a suit, but because he was rebelling. "Come on, let's go to the gates of hell and meet the devil."

"Maybe ease off insulting your father for the night." I suggested. "It'll go by smoothly if you do."

He took it into thought and nod his head in agreement, "It's going to be hard, but sure."

The restaurant was all the way near Central Park, a French cuisine place name Daniel that made things really intimidating for me. Everyone was dressed up as if they just left a opera, they are with real silver, cuisines I haven't even heard of were served on pearly white clean plates, even the waiters were dressed up in their penguin suits. Samuel and I were under dressed, but he strolled right in, not caring about then hostess furious gaze on why he didn't up an effort in wearing a suit jacket at least.

She had a waiter guide us to his parents table, which was located by the tall windows that looked out to the streets and Central Park, it was beautiful at night. A small lamp rested in the middle of the table, making his parents stern faces look even more intimidating than the entire restaurant. I tried not to think of this as an interrogation and as a regular dinner, it was pretty hard considering the interrogation has already started before I could open up my mouth.

"Looks pretty young. What? The older you get, the younger you'll go." His father spoke in a low grumbling tone that told he wasn't pleased with anything. I realized whatever I say or do, it won't make him satisfied because I'm not Diana- I can never be a Diana or a daisy.

"Isaac." Carol said in a warning tone for him to behave during the dinner, like I suggested Samuel to not talk back and insult his father earlier.

"Dad, this is Joy Wesson. Joy, this is my father Isaac Jones." Samuel forced out with a heavy sigh before pulling my chair out that was right across from his mother, at least I'm not stuck in having to facing his father.

"Pleasure to meet you Mister Jones. Nice to see you again, Miss Jones." I said in a timid voice to make myself sound innocent and sweet, along with calming my nerves.

The waiter came back with two glasses of water that was placed in some sort of wide and short wine glasses. "Drinks, sir?"

"I'll have the whiskey sour. Joy?"

"I'll just stick to water, thank you."

The waiter nod his head before walking off, I guess they don't use pens and paper here either. Now we are left in having s conversation, I tired to look at the menu but it was all written in French- at least until Samuel flipped it over to the English side. I chuckled to myself for making that minor mistake, and to ease my stomach as it formed over a thousand butterflies.

"How old are you?" Carol questioned, being that she couldn't do it earlier.

"I'm twenty-one, turning twenty-two in three months."

"My wife tells me you're a waitress, where exactly."

"At the country club, the same one Samuel goes to, in Staten Island. I work in the restaurant during the day."

Carol chuckled to herself, "That's how you two met? In the restaurant where Diana now manages." Diana, it will always come around to mentioning Diana, she's the trophy wife- all the parents want her as a daughter-in-law, not a waitress.

Samuel sighed softly while draping his arm behind my chair to get himself comfortable with the questions and interrogation. "Can we not speak about Diana, please?"

"We're just trying to understand." Isaac spoke with concern in his voice. "Apparently you're too afraid of commit-"

"I'm not afraid of anything." Samuel said in a stern voice, obviously close in exploding with frustration.

"Don't cut me off." However, Isaac has him beat in that department.

"Mister and Misses Jones. I know this is not what you expected your son to bring to dinner, I can respect the fact you want what's best for him and his future." I started off, easily grabbing their attention. "And I may not be the one to give that to him, but I assure you, Samuel will find that right girl some time sooner than later- and you will be kinda proud in the decision of not entirely."

"Where did you say you go to school?" Carol questioned, her dark brown eyes scanned me once again.

"I went to Cambridge for a year and a half before dropping out."

"Why did you drop out?"

I tried to make up a fake story, I truly did, but it didn't feel right to lie to them- to Samuel. "My father died," I blurted our in a soft tone that was drowned out by the loud chatter and silverware scrapping plates, but they heard me loud and clear. "I couldn't handle it, I was in my sophomore year studying psychology, I wanted to be a therapist for prisons. I dropped out for many reasons; two of them being I just gave up, and the other is the fact I didn't have the money. I wasn't exactly working and my dad paid for tuition as I commute back and forth."

"What did your mother say?" Her tone was softer in pity and sorrow for the man she will never meet.

"She died two years before my father. Someone gunned her down when walking home from her nursing job, it was late, they say it was a robbery. My father was apart of a brutal car crash when coming home after visiting a friend, a drunk driver pushed him off the road." Repeating it all was painful, it brought back old emotions that I pushed down for so long. A comforting hand rubbed the side of my arm, causing me to look at the owner with a small smile to show I was okay. Samuel stared into my eyes to make sure the story was real, but when my glossy gaze told him it was, his lips turned into a small frown as he swallowed down what he really wanted to say about his father. "I'm sorry," I blurted out after that short and awkward silence. "That just dampened the mood."

The waiter suddenly came back with Samuel's drink that he immediately slipped after hearing my dampened past. We gave him our orders, even though I wasn't in the mood to eat anything, so I ordered small. "Can I have the onion soup, please?"

"I'm sorry ma'am, we are all out."

"Then go out, buy the ingredients and make it." Isaac didn't even have to speak in a stern voice to make the waiter nod in fear.

"That's fine, I can order something else-"

"Nonsense," He stooped me from speaking. "It's on the menu, so it should be served. If your chef disagrees, then tell him Isaac Jones demand it."

The waiter ran off to get that piece of information to his superior. The table grew quiet once again until Carol broke the ice by sighing softly. "You said you wanted to be a prison therapist."

I nod my head in confirmation, "Yes, well they may call it Criminal psychologist, along with helping mentally ill prisoners, I want to also understand why someone can commit a crime- anyone, a sane mind or ill mind. What drives them? I just have to go back to school."

"Samuel, why haven't you mentioned Fiona's scholarship?"

"Fiona's scholarship?" I questioned while looking between him and his mother.

"It's called WSH, Women Start Here, a scholarship for young woman who can't pay their way in school." Samuel said in a soft tone. "My sister-in-law made it a few months ago, it's still going through the channels."

"But," Carol added. "It has a lot of contributors who out in a lot of money for it, like ourselves, Samuel donated some money and a few friends of ours. You can sign up for it."

"Maybe it's best for a young woman who really needs it. I'm currently working and saved up enough money for community college, that's my plan."

"I'll throw your name into the hat anyway." She voiced with no discussion needed, being that she has her mind fixed on helping. The last thing I wanted was to be a charity case.

"Mom, maybe that's not a good idea." Samuel came in to help. "Joy has her plan, just let her do the plan."

"Your mother is trying to help, your girlfriend, at least one girl you have around has to have a bright future instead of being washed up in a shit poor industry."

"I wasn't talking to-"

I placed a hand on Samuel's thigh to keep him from going any further, I'm sure him and his father has butt heads during worse situations than this; but I don't want them to do it because of me. "Thank you, Miss Jones, that's very kind." I said instead, even though I didn't want it, not one cent. I was speaking the truth when saying an actual girl in need of this scholarship should have it, but they thought I was that girl, I was probably the only person they met in my state of class. Who can blame them? They're surrounded with wealth and other people who has wealth, I'm just a guest, I will always be a guest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 305 13
"There's just something about you" he said looking at me, almost like he could see my soul "Something about me?... it's the chase Elliot, you'll g...
2.3M 83K 52
(BOOK 3 OF MAFIA LOVE SERIES) COMPLETED READ MIA REGINA AND ESCORT ME BABY BEFORE YOU READ THIS. This book CANNOT be read as a standalone. * The rea...
898 30 17
"I'm better than you even when I'm drunk." He drunkenly walked over to me and between my legs, so close that our noses almost touched, "No you cheat...
62.6K 298 6
[completed] His lips parted and a soft gasp escaped him. "You're so hot, Misty. Without even trying, yo- you look so beautiful sitting in class, doin...