Hidden Kingdom

By Leostar729

Avian Ravenwood has always known her place in the world since she was young, serving the Royalty she had been... More

Warning
āŠ±Chapter 1 - part one šŸ—” Failed LessonāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 1 - part two šŸ—” SummoningāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 2 šŸ—” An Unwanted GuestāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 3 šŸ—”SurprisesāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 4 šŸ—”Birthday BashāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 5 - part one šŸ—”Introducing MagicāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 5 - part two šŸ—”Elemental StrengthāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 6 - part one šŸ—”Mage TrialsāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 6 - part two šŸ—”Master MageāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 6 - part three šŸ—”A Royal CommandāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 7 šŸ—”Beginnings of CourtingāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 8šŸ—”Courting DisasterāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 9 šŸ—”Courting SecrecyāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 10 šŸ—”Beginnings of PanicāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 11 šŸ—”Death within LifeāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 12 šŸ—”Eternal SorrowāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 13 šŸ—”NightmaresāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 14 šŸ—”Revenge MissionāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 15 šŸ—”Revenge is SweetāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 16 šŸ—”Mission OrderāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 17 šŸ—”Mission OneāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 18 šŸ—”Unpleasant CompanyāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 19 šŸ—”Unending NightmareāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 20 šŸ—”Hostage SituationāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 21 šŸ—”Attempting SeductionāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 22 šŸ—”Jail BreakāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 23 šŸ—”Hidden TruthsāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 24 šŸ—”Decoding the PastāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 25 šŸ—”Dragon BondingāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 26 šŸ—” Stifling Truths āŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 27 šŸ—”Chosen Future āŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 28 šŸ—”A Lover's BetrayalāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 29 šŸ—” A Dragon Encounter āŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 30 šŸ—”Destiny's DecisionāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 31 šŸ—”A Mother' guidance and a King RevealedāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 32 šŸ—”Hidden KingdomāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 33 šŸ—”Mother's StoryāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 35 šŸ—”Sky TrialsāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 36 šŸ—”Capture the Magic FlagāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 37 šŸ—”Magical ChallengesāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 38 šŸ—”All or NothingāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 39 šŸ—”Nightmare CallingāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 40 šŸ—”The King's Blade āŠ°
Authors Note

āŠ±Chapter 34 šŸ—”Anxiety RisingāŠ°

27 1 0
By Leostar729

The trials are coming up soon. There is a whole series of chapters dedicated to just the trials Avian will have to go through. I don't know if the trials are my favorite chapter or if the last chapter is my favorite. Any way I won't keep ya any longer. Let's get to it!!!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------

My chest becoming uncomfortable from holding my breath, "What does this have to do with me?" The last thing I expected was someone to tell me about my mother who had been long gone.

"There is a great battle coming. I don't know when or where but one is coming. If we are to have even have a slim chance of winning we need you. Not just me but the entire Kingdom. We don't have a hope with anyone else but you."

Shifting from foot to foot I move my gaze to the water pouring out of the fountain while biting my bottom lip in thought. "What did Roslin mean when she said I wouldn't receive the sword yet?"

"The chosen King's Blade when proven worthy receives a special sword. That is generally one of kind that only they possess. You won't be able to receive the sword as your own until after the trials."

"Why do I even need to go through these tests?" I scowl at the water.

"It is a challenge that needs to be faced. Otherwise Bartholomew will never let it rest. Plus it doesn't hurt to have the subjects of the Kingdom witness the level of skill you possess. As a King it is my responsibility to see to my subject's best interests before my own. Be aware as you advance through these tests that second in command, soon to be third, Bartholomew may try to start something. If his behavior towards you is anything to go by."

"Why was he acting that way towards me? I haven't done anything to him."

"My guess is that he probably feels threatened by you. He has been after the Blade position for quite a few years. I kept refusing him the position for he isn't chosen as you are. I am forewarning you now, if he does start a scuffle. Fight back. Don't let him beat you."

I laugh thinking about Bartholomew posing as a challenge, "I never back down from a challenge. It is one of my less desirable traits as my father would say." I smile as I fondly remember my father breaking up a scuffle between a young knight in training and me when I was younger, the boy had insulted my ability due to my being a girl.

"It is great quality in my opinion. That is the type of Blade I need with the inevitable war coming." My cheeks warming at his words. "Now come, I will escort you back to your room." He reached his hand out to take my elbow but I jerked out of the way, a man's touch only serving me to remind me of Camron's betrayal.

Hurt briefly flashed in his eyes but his hand retreated. Instead he brushed past me to take me back the way we had come. "So tell me, am I allowed to know what these tests will be or are they meant to be a surprise?" I ask to reduce the tension that had grown between us as I fall in step beside him.

"What is going to happen is that you will be presented to the Kingdom tomorrow and tested over the next three days. There are to be three trials, with two parts each. The first trial is flying with your dragon through various obstacles to test the strength of your bond, as well as a race to see the speed you possess. The race is more for the Kingdom's subject's entertainment." He chuckled. "The second is testing your magic. Your magic ability will be tested with obstacles once again and then combat. The third is more demonstration than anything. It tests your skills and instincts when facing enemies and saving innocents. A real knight and damsel in distress situation. After your trials knowing Bartholomew he will challenge you to a duel."

"Doesn't sound like anything I can't handle. But of course I will be careful anyway. It can be one's down fall if they become too cocky and over confident." We arrived in front of my door before long. Stopping I turn to face him dipping into a bow, "Goodnight, your Majesty." I couldn't help but say formally.

He frowned at the formality of my tone but chose not to comment on it, "Goodnight then." Inclining his head then walking further down the hall, probably headed for his own room.

Sighing I enter into my new room closing the wooden door softly behind me. Serina was already in our room laying on her bed with her eyes half lidded as they followed me about the room. Spying food on a table I sit down in a nearby chair. Completely famished after the long day. "How was the hunt?" I mumbled around the food I had stuffed my face with.

"The game is plenty. I was able to catch a couple of large bucks not too far into the forest. I like it here." She yawns out as she blinks sleepily at me, her third eyelids covering her eyes before disappearing again.

I chew on my bottom lip deciding to tell Serina about my inner turmoil, "I am slightly worried about the tests that are going to take place."

"I know dear one. Our thoughts are connected remember. I heard about your worry through our bond even before it was known to you."

"What if we don't pass the first test? We haven't been bonded for very long." Panic beginning to mount just thinking about it as I brought my knees up to my chest.

"It doesn't matter. We can do anything as long as we are together. Nothing is going to change that. We have a strong bond already despite just having found each other. We will do well tomorrow. So do not fret, dear one. Now time for bed, we need all our strength for tomorrow and the days to come." Serina drifted off soon after that with low rumble sounding through her chest.

Sighing heavily through my nose I knew Serina was correct. Letting go of my worries as much as I could I undress and climb into the four poster bed.

What seems as though a minute later a persistent knock resounds on the door. I open my eyes to see the sun filtering through the windows. Groaning I get up from the comfortably warm bed to throw open the door to reveal an excited Aliwyn practically hopping in place. "Why aren't you dressed yet sleepy head? Hurry and get ready! Your test is in a bit. You have time to get breakfast if you hurry."

Huffing in complaint I slam the door in her face. Though Aliwyn resumed her persistent knocking. Grabbing the spare clothes in the closet, which fit me quite well as though they were tailored for me. Smoothing the loose fabric down, it doesn't take much to notice they are have been worn before, being my mother's old clothes. A dragon's grumbling pulled me from my musings.

"Someone is certainly perky this early in the morning." Serina mumbled as she tried to shake herself awake. I couldn't agree more as I tried taming my hair, giving up on it I tied it up into a high pony tail. Before I opened the door again and possibly getting attacked by my friend I waited for Serina to climb up onto my shoulders after she had reduced her size.

Opening the door I come face to face with Aliwyn pouting, "Why did you have to be so mean and slam the door in my face?" Not taking her seriously I simply rolled my eyes. She recovered quickly, predictably threading her arm through mine. "We better hurry to breakfast if you want something to eat before your tests. You ready for your first test?" She asked as she maneuvered us through the halls headed for what I was guessing to be the dining room.

"I'm a bit nervous to tell you the truth. I hardly feel ready for it but I refuse to shrink away from a challenge."

Aliwyn nodding in understanding as respect gleamed in her eyes, "That is a good attitude to have. I wouldn't be as far up as I am now if I had backed down so easily. It is tough enough as it is being a woman and a Knight, especially a high ranking one." We had arrived into the dining room, grabbed a plate of food and were just sitting down.

I was feeding Serina a piece of meat when I heard squeaks sounding in the spacious room. Looking over to the source I see a miniature emerald green dragon scurrying over to us, its forest green eyes trained on Aliwyn. Cooing to the dragon she picked him up cradling him on her lap, "Avian, this is my bondmate, Rowan. Rowan, this is my new friend, Avian. The one I was telling you about last night."

The green dragon looked into my eyes with its piercing gaze as a surprising deep voice entering into my mind, "Pleasure, Rider Avian."

"Likewise. This is my bondmate, Serina." I introduce the two dragons, both nodding at each other in acknowledgement. Though that seemed to be the extent of their affection for another which I am sure would grow the more they were near each other.

"Ah this is where you were, Lady Avian." A familiar voice called out. My attention caught on the figure waving like a crazy person, standing on the threshold of the room. The Dragon King in his human form strutting up to where we sat at the table. "Good you've eaten breakfast. Are you ready for your first test?" He held a hand out for me to take. Pulling me to my feet before I managed to quickly pull my hand out of his grasp.

"Ready as I'll ever be, your Highness." I sigh as I follow him outside. Relying on him to show me where to go.

"Just call me Kenai. You saved my life after all. Plus I hate all the formality that goes with the title."

"Only if you call me by my first name. It is only a fair trade after all." I offer him a shy smile.

"It's a deal." He beamed. Arriving at a cliff I looked around in confusion. "Ah here we are. Serina is able to see the marks of the actual obstacles and the order they go in. You will be able to see them too if your bond together is strong enough to share vision. To actually start the trial you will jump off from the cliff and onto Serina's back. Good luck! I am rooting for you so don't let me down." Kenai patted me on the back, causing me to flinch, before walking away.

Serina glided down from her position on my shoulders transforming back to her regular size. Connecting us closer mentally so she was able to share her vison with me more easily.

My eyes felt as though they were tugged into slits like a dragons, as my eye sight became sharper and I could now see in colors I hadn't been able to before. Taking a step back after I peered over the steep cliff, my panic back in full force. "Serina, I don't think I can do this. This obstacle looks really tough. Plus I have never jumped onto your back from a cliff before." I whimper as I press myself into her chest.

"But you have jumped from tall trees and landed on my back on several occasions from free falling. Just think of this challenge as us playing around in the air like we have already done. But this time we are just trying new stunts." Serina encouraged me.

She's completely right. I have done several things like this before. It isn't much different from those stunts. I take a few deep breaths to calm my erratic heartbeat trying to beat out of my chest. "Okay, I can do this. We can do this." I smile at my bondmate as I hug her neck.

Hearing footsteps approaching I turn around to face the person coming towards me. "We are ready whenever you are." King Hakeem informed us as he kept a polite distance. Probably remembering my reaction from last night. Behind him a sizable crowd had gathered to watch.

Nodding I step away from the edge intending to get a running start. Serina took off into the sky to gain speed, "We have to be in sync as you jump or risk you missing my back from jumping to early or too late." Serina advised.

Okay Avian you got this. "Let's give them a good show." Serina twirled up in the air a fewmore times, suddenly shifting so she is flying downwards. Counting from five Istart my run at four, both of us counting together from 3. "Two.....one." Left mylips in a breathless whisper as I leap from the cliff.     

-----------------------------------------------

Oh boy!!!!!!! Here we go!!! It's the start of the trials! Though there is only one update left for the day. Let's get started! 

Vote, Comment, and Keep Reading. See ya in the next update.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

244 8 33
Fifteen years had gone by since King Ryker of Mordrid had defeated King Rohan of Elsinguard to have won the Serpentine War. Since then there have bee...
5.5K 813 49
The world had long since forgotten the age of dragons, those creatures that had once ruled the skies as gods had long since disappeared after the con...
466K 29.1K 93
Soon, I was thrusting my chest out to him, as I moaned. Moaned out loud. Trying to give him unhindered passage to my breasts. "Please" I moaned. "Pl...
4.1K 410 71
Beneath broken stone and warped metal, a solitary raven panics as it senses imminent danger. It escapes certain death mere seconds before the structu...