The Guarded Princess

By kirariidol

Fairy Tail, a guild known for its prestigious mages and also its destructive nature, was a place where almost... More

Prologue
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII
LXIX
LXX
LXXI
LXXII
LXXIII
LXXIV
LXXV
LXXVI
LXXVII
LXXVIII
LXXIX
LXXX
LXXXI
LXXXII
LXXXIII
LXXXIV
LXXXV
LXXXVI
LXXXVII
LXXXVIII
LXXXIX
XC
XCI
XCII
Author's Note

XLIX

3.1K 113 36
By kirariidol

Kouen had confessed his feelings for Lucy and though he was not answered with a clear reply, he didn't mind it. There was no change in the two's relationship but if anything, he was glad that Lucy had become more aware of him not as a childhood friend but as a male of the opposite gender. The surrounding people realized a slight change between the two but with the impending war, none really took great notice of it. Masrur was the first to notice among them for he was the closest to Lucy and understood her even better than she herself did. If Lucy was happy, then that was it and he wouldn't question anything.

For Lucy, there wasn't much for her to do along the line of preparations for the role that was given to her was to act as reinforcement for everyone; in the same way that Scheherazade was acting as. But even then, Lucy had her own plans on how to act. The others had seen what she could do with her metal vessel and that was life magic which they already knew she had control over. The thing they didn't know was that Lucy had confirmed it; she confirmed the fact that she had the power over all the other eight types of magic. She secretly practiced it and the only people who knew were Kouen, Masrur, and Aladdin.

They were one day away from war and the final preparations had been made. Sinbad, Kouen, and the other leaders and representatives of their countries had been looking over the final plans just the day before and now, they sat within their chambers resting as they waited for the day to come. The soldiers were also resting within their own quarters, getting ready to face the incoming war.

Lucy leaned against the window pane as she sat on the window seat against propped up pillows. Her white gown flowed down onto the floor as her long, silky blonde hair settled down on the floor in neat piles. Kouen sat in his office chair, reading over the final documents, his head propped up on his hand as his eyebrows were furrowed together as usual.

"I wonder why the Garanda Empire suddenly decided to attack all three empires," she murmured to herself.

Kouen perked up and set his scrolls down. "Are you worried?"

"It's unsettling," she answered and turned to him. "Don't you think so?"

Her expression was calm and stoic but her lips were pulled into a slight frown as her eyes wavered with anxiety and caution. He stood up and walked over to her, taking a seat on the window seat opposite her. He looked out the window, the forest that Lucy had brought back to life still standing proudly. Propping his leg up, he placed his arm on top and covered his mouth as he looked into the distance.

"You're right. It is quite unsettling," he said. "For such a small empire to suddenly attack the three largest empires of this time...one can only imagine what's going on through their head and where they got that reassurance from."

"We mentioned this during the very first meeting as well," Lucy said.

"The possibility of a secret weapon, huh?" he pondered over that fact. "Is it still getting to you?"

She closed her eyes and gave a small sigh. "It's hard not to think about it. Sindria and the forces of the Seven Seas Alliance alone should be enough to handle the Garanda Empire. This war should be but a small-scale war."

"It might not turn out to be one," Kouen understood her thoughts.

"There'll be major losses if what we're expecting has exceeded what we planned for," she said, clenching her hands. "I don't want anything to change. I don't want to lose anyone. I don't want to lose you."

"Lucy..." he widened his eyes.

Taking her hand in his, he stared at her with firm, resolute eyes. Lucy stared back and he clenched them tightly yet with gentleness, reassuring her that everything was going to be fine. His crimson red eyes radiated with confidence, believing in the fact that everything will be all right.

"That's why we planned it as if we're facing Ill Ilah again," he said. "It'll be fine. I promise you that."

Lucy widened her eyes and smiled, her cheeks flushed a rosy hue as her eyes softened with warmth as they shone with deep affection, just like how Kouen looked back at her with. She held his hand back and he pulled her close in one rough yet swift motion. His cape swung around his arm and over her as she leaned against his chest.

"I'll protect you, Lucy. No matter what because I don't plan on letting you go any time soon," he held her by her shoulder.

"Then I'll protect you back as well, Kouen," she chuckled.

He raised his eyebrows and gave a sneer. "You don't plan on giving me a chance to look cool?"

"You're cool enough," she smiled.

Kouen widened his eyes, surprised at her sudden attack. He looked the other way, trying to keep his calm. Though his outward appearance remained stoic, his reddened ears easily gave away his true emotions and Lucy chuckled; his habit hadn't changed at all since during their childhood days. She rested her head against his chest and relaxed, the atmosphere serene and quiet.

"Kouen," she said with a purpose. "I'm going to protect everyone with all I got. I'm going to fight for everyone, for my friends."

He stared at her and smiled, resting his head against hers.

"Then I'll see to make sure it comes true," he said. "Because I intend to fight for not only my sake but for everyone else's as well. Be it Koumei, Kouha, Kougyoku, Hakuei, Hakuryuu, or even that idiot Sinbad, I'll fight for them. If it means that I can look at the view of tomorrow with you, then I'll do it."

Lucy smiled. "You really are unfair."

Kouen looked down at her.

"Saying such words," she glanced up at him with endearment, her expression full of loving adoration. "It's unfair."

He grinned. "I don't think you're in the position to say that after not giving me answer for a whole seventeen years."

She laughed. "Apologies."

Kouen held her tightly in his arms and nestled against her head, a soft smile perched upon his lips as his eyes glowed with fondness and infatuation. Each day, his feelings for her continued to grow to the point where his entire being yearned for her to be by his side. He clutched her shoulder as his lips tightened to form a line, his eyes determined to ask her the words that he had always wished to ask her.

"Lucy, after this war, become my Empress," he said.

She widened her eyes and looked up at him.

"I know you haven't given me an answer yet but I want you to think about it," he said. "I'm sincere about it and I'm sure that the others are also aware of what I wish to do."

But, what crossed Lucy's mind wasn't the fact that he was asking her this before she even gave him a proper answer but rather, the fact that he was asking her to become officially his. Back at the Imperial Palace when they were young, Lucy always envied how much the previous Emperor loved Kouen's mother to the point where he wished to make her Empress - though that plan was thwarted due to Gyokuen. Now, hearing it from him, she realized why the bracelet situated on her wrist looked so familiar; it was the Phoenix Bangle that his mother had always worn. Her eyes widened as her emotions overwhelmed her. Her lips trembled as she slowly curled them up into a smile, her eyes shining with happiness as Kouen held her even tighter.

"Kouen," she held his hand.

Kouen widened his eyes and just from that one word and that one gesture alone, he knew that she was willing to become his once she found her answer. He lowered his head and held her in his arms. He had on his usual stoic, calm face but his eyes gave away all his emotions. How affectionate they were as he gazed at the only woman he loved with fondness and a warmth that he never showed anyone, not even his own mother.

"Lucy," he breathed.

The two nestled in each other's embrace as a small smile perched itself upon their lips. However much they worry, it would be meaningless if they didn't trust each other and everyone else. During the several months that Lucy had spent with everyone, she had come to think of them as family and the same went for them. She would place her trust in them and fight until the very end for she knew that if it was them, they could win it. None of them planned on losing this fight and to the Garanda Empire who challenged them, they were sure to give them a piece of their mind after trying to obstruct their peaceful lives.

Afternoon~

Having kept each other company for the morning, the doors to Kouen's chamber opened slightly as Aladdin peeked his head in. Lucy perked up upon noticing him and Masrur, too, soon peeked his head in as he gave a curt nod in Lucy's direction. She brightened up and immediately got up from the window seat and made her way to them. Kouen looked up and noticed the two as they greeted him.

"Masrur! Aladdin!" she exclaimed.

"Lucy-neesan," Aladdin waved with a grin. "I came to visit again!"

"It's good to see you, Aladdin," she smiled and looked up at Masrur. "You, too, Masrur."

The tall, well-built Fanalis gave a small smile as he gazed upon his mistress. Kouen saw the look in his eye and was sure that that feeling of his wasn't going to fade anytime soon for even though he knew that Lucy had become aware of Kouen, he wasn't backing down. He continued to stay by her side as usual and Kouen smirked, acknowledging him.

"Shall I have the servants bring some snacks over?" he asked.

"Ah, that's fine," Masrur responded as he held up a basket. "We brought over some since Pisti and Spartos had been experimenting with them."

"You should've seen the mess that was made," Aladdin chuckled. "By the way, these were made by me."

He pointed to some star-shaped chocolate-vanilla cookies to which Lucy brightened up in amazement at. Seeing her delighted expression, Aladdin smiled, knowing that it was worth it. It was his first time making cookies and though he had burnt it the first few times, it was all worth it in the end. She picked up a piece and popped it into her mouth. Her eyes lighted up as she swallowed it.

"It's delicious," she said. "Not bad at all."

"Is it?" Aladdin brightened up. "Thank goodness."

Kouen came up beside her and took one as well. "Isn't a little burnt?"

Aladdin's face paled as Lucy narrowed her eyes at him, pouting her mouth. Honestly, he was a little too honest at times. Kouen averted his eyes but, even though he had said that, he grabbed another piece and seeing so, Lucy smiled. Lucy looked towards Masrur.

"Did Masrur also make any?" she asked.

"I'm not good at making sweets so no," he replied. "Since my fingers aren't really that nimble."

"But, it would be nice to try one of your sweets," Lucy said.

Masrur perked up a little as he opened his mouth. "Then should I go make some right now?"

"Huh?" Lucy widened her eyes. "N-N-No, it's really okay! It's fine if I can't eat it since you've already treated me to your cooking so many times."

Kouen raised an eyebrow at that. "His homemade cooking?"

"Mn!" Lucy brimmed with great joy and pride. "Masrur's really good at cooking and they're one of the best dishes I've had! The food melts in your mouth and though they're strong in flavor, he makes the right combinations of them! Kouen should also try some as well!"

As Lucy kept on complimenting Masrur's dishes with the brightest smile - a white light radiating around her - the atmosphere in the room kept getting colder and colder as a sinister and menacing aura radiated from Kouen. Masrur and Aladdin looked down at the floor, their lips pulled into a tight line as their eyes shook with nervousness. Kouen's eyebrows were narrowed together as he had an evil-looking smile plastered on his face.

"Ho?" he mused. "I sure would love to try it. What about it, Masrur?"

He emphasized Masrur's name with great detail that Masrur averted his eyes as a bead of sweat rolled down his face.

"If I have the time to," he vaguely replied.

"Judging from what Lucy has said, you must be really good at cooking," Kouen continued. "I wonder just how many times you've treated her to your homemade cooking."

"I don't think anyone would keep track of that."

"It's been a total of thirty-four times," Lucy beamed.

Lucy-neesan/Lucy, read the mood! the two said as they broke out into a cold sweat.

A vein was on the verge of popping on Kouen's forehead as he had his arms crossed before his chest. His smirk seemed even more intimidating than before and the two of them knew that he would be bothered by this fact for a long while. Lucy tilted her head before a sudden thought popped into her head.

"That's right, there's something I'd like to give you guys," she said before quickly running out the room. "Wait here!"

The three were left in silence for at least a minute before the handle to the door moved down once again as the door creaked open. Lucy came in with a bright smile as she panted slightly for her breath. She held a basket in her hands and set it down on the table in the middle of the room, rummaging through it for the right ones. Finding it, she walked over to them with a bright smile.

"Here," she handed them each a nicely decorated bag with assorted ribbons on them, each matching their respective hair color. "As thanks."

They took the bag and peered at it and realized they were snacks.

"Vanilla cookies!" Aladdin exclaimed and upon taking a closer look, his eyes widened in surprise at seeing how beautiful the decoration was. The cookies were in simple shapes but with small curved edges and on top of it, there was a coat of either white, pink, or blue frosting laying on top of it with small circular patterns, a large pink rose surrounded by a small red and yellow rose in the middle. "Did Lucy-neesan make these?!"

"It's been a while since I've made them but I'm glad they turned out nicely," she beamed. "They're thanks from me after all that you guys have done for me."

"These are cupcakes," Masrur looked at his bag which had three cupcakes within them, each one a different flavor and design but similar in style to the cookies that Aladdin had received. They were almost too perfect that he didn't dare to eat them but it was exactly because they looked so beautiful that he wanted to eat them right away. "Thank you, Lucy."

"You're welcome," she smiled as he ruffled her hair.

"And the ones I have are..." Kouen looked at his.

"They're macarons," Lucy said, turning to him. "I know how you aren't really fond of sweets so I decided to make them matcha flavor and I was mindful of the amount of sugar I put in them," she nervously explained before glancing up at him. "Do you not like it?"

Kouen looked at her and smiled. "I don't," he answered.

Lucy paled.

"I love it," he leaned in and patted her head. "Thank you, Lucy."

Opening the bag, he put a macaron in his mouth and licked the remaining crumbs from his fingers. Lucy watched anxiously and he glanced at her, giving her a soft smile and seeing so, she lit up with joy. Aladdin and Masrur, too, opened their bags and took a bite from their snacks and their eyes widened in surprise. It was completely different from the snacks they ate before and even Sindria's castle sweets couldn't compare to it.

"It's absolutely delicious!" Aladdin exclaimed.

Masrur nodded his head in agreement. "The texture is soft to the point where it just melts in your mouth. It's better than anything I've ever eaten."

"Is it?" Lucy asked.

He smiled and nodded his head. "It is."

"Thank goodness," she smiled and suddenly remembering something, she walked up to him and tiptoed on her feet. Masrur bent down so that she could reach him and Lucy whispered into his ear. "Of course, this doesn't count as homemade cooking. I'll make sure to live up to our promise by offering a full-course meal."

Masrur perked up and smiled. "I'm looking forward to it."

Lucy chuckled silently to herself in excitement as she put her two hands over her mouth. Seeing the two's interaction, Kouen grew irritated once more as the room grew cold once more and Aladdin chuckled nervously to the side. Only Lucy could make Kouen become even colder than he usually is. But, Lucy walked back to his side and he placed an arm on her waist and pulled her close, planting a kiss on her forehead from behind. Lucy chuckled as her cheeks were flushed with a rosy hue.

"Uncle Kouen really does like Lucy-neesan, huh?" Aladdin chuckled.

Kouen remained silent but his actions were enough to show his emotions. Masrur stood to the side, not minding it in the least for all he saw was Lucy's contented expression. For him, that alone was enough and he wouldn't dare do anything to try and obstruct her happiness.

"I'm going to deliver the rest to everyone else," she picked up her basket once more. "Kouen, Masrur, Aladdin. Make sure to rest for today."

With that, she left the room as the door behind her closed with a thud. The three looked at one another and gave a small sigh. The look that she gave them before she left was that of a pleading and earnest one. Tomorrow was the war and this was the last peaceful day they would enjoy before they go out. Ignoring her request after she gave them such beautiful and delicious sweets - when they had no idea how she had gotten the time to make such different ones - would just make them seem awful.

"Then I'll guess we'll be seeing each other on the battlefield tomorrow," Kouen looked at them.

"Yeah," Aladdin said. "So it's finally tomorrow, huh?"

"There's no worrying about it. We did our best in planning and preparing and all we can do now is carry that plan into action," Masrur patted the Magi's head. "Let's go."

Aladdin smiled and nodded his head. "Then see you tomorrow, Uncle Kouen," he waved. "You should rest up as well instead of reading all those scrolls or else when Lucy-neesan finds out, it'll be worse than hell," he laughed.

Kouen gave a slight smirk. "I'll be sure to do just that."

"Then we'll be taking our leave," Masrur bowed and shared a knowing glance with him.

Kouen caught his gaze and narrowed his eyes. Even without him telling so, he was sure to do just that. He planned on protecting Lucy in this war and if she were to be harmed by any of the enemies, he was going to submerge their entire country and let it fall to destruction. His metal vessels gleamed as the sunlight shone through the windows and reflected off of them. Lucy was his and his to protect and he had no intention of letting the Garanda Empire go. To make Lucy wear such an expression again...he had already decided to lead them to their demise.

Gripping his arms, he narrowed his eyes and gritted his teeth. We'll show you just who you're messing with.

Popping another macaron in his mouth, his expression lightened and calmed down. Finishing the last of it, he went over to his bed and laid down, placing his metal vessels by his side. Thinking of what Lucy had said, he chuckled to himself. If he didn't rest now, he was sure that she would nag him once more - though, that idea itself wasn't too bad either.

The next day~

All the countries involved in the war had gathered as their flags waved proudly in the wind upon their numerous and multiple vast ships. Their vassals stood next to them or flew upon their birds or their magic turbans. They had moved out during the night and the waves crashed against their boats and the land of the Garanda Empire. They had completely surrounded the country, giving them not a single road to escape.

The countries stood proudly, holding their metal vessels in hand as they glared at the empire with a stern face.

The war had begun.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

228K 6.4K 38
She was never born to be loved and she herself knew that. As far back as she could remember, there wasn't a single time where she had been loved; eve...
5.3K 198 38
{Loke/Leo X OC Fairy Tail fanfic} *work in progress.* Storms are considered either the wrath of heavens and spirits by many people. Or they are consi...
7.2K 426 46
This is the continuation of Fate I and will start with Chapter CCI. In the far eastern continent laid the infamous, imperial Kou Empire. Its land str...
11.7K 320 13
TRIGGER WARNING: MATURE THEMES SUCH AS SUICIDE AND DEPRESSION ARE INCLUDED. I WILL PUT WARNINGS AT THE BEGINNING OF CERTAIN CHAPTERS *I don't own Fa...