Dear Nate {Dear #1}

By danamayfield

Alison Collins is in a coma and now Nate has her journal. Nate never expected for Alison's brother to give hi... More

Dear Nate
-Chapter 2-
-Chapter 3-
-Chapter 4-
-Chapter 5-
-Chapter 6-
-Chapter 7-
-Chapter 8-
-Chapter 9-
-Chapter 10-
-Chapter 11-
-Chapter 12-
-Chapter 13-
-Chapter 14-
-Chapter 15-
-Chapter 16-
-Chapter 18-
-Chapter 19-
-Chapter 20-
-Chapter 21-
-Chapter 22-
-Chapter 23-
-Chapter 24-
-Chapter 25-
-Chapter 26-
-Chapter 27-
-Chapter 28-
-Chapter 29-
-Chapter 30-
-Chapter 31-
-Chapter 32-
-Chapter 33-
-Epilogue-

-Chapter 17-

11.5K 525 57
By danamayfield

Hey guys!

PLEASE READ vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Updates will be coming faster, hopefully, since i will be entering this in the Young Writers Prize! So PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT! This opportunity can get Dear Nate published if i win! I will soon be posting edited version of chapters also once i get them edited.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

COMMENT

VOTE

FAN

-DANA

_____________________________

NOT EDITED

______________________________

I’m happy I went on this trip with the guys. Even though after Scott punched Pat it was a little awkward, but this morning Pat apologized and everything is back to normal. After Pat mended things with Scott we grabbed lunch at a diner in town, which is where we ran into the girl and her boyfriend. Pat hardly remembers why he picked a fight, since apparently she didn’t want anything to do with him. So when they passed our table to leave, the boyfriend gave Pat such an intimidating glare I’m surprised Pat didn’t piss his pants.

            We’re almost to my house when I snap back to the present. Scott already dropped off Patrick and Mitch. I’m getting my bags ready when I notice Scott pass my house. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion, sitting up to look at him. “Where are you going? I know you know my house is back that way,” I say, pointing my thumb behind us.

            “I want to visit Alison with you today.”

            I look at him in shock. Is he serious or is he just pulling my leg? “W-What?”

            Scott turns to look at me before switching his eyes to the road once again. “I want to visit Alison with you today.”

            “Why?”

            He shrugs. “She means a lot to you. I want to go with you to support you.”

            I smile softly, looking down at my lap. “Thanks Scott. That means a lot.”

            “You’re my best friend,” he begins to say. “I’ll always be here for you man. Whenever, wherever.”

            I put my hand on his shoulder and squeeze. “Awe, you’re so sweet.” 

            Scott rolls his eyes.

__________

            When we arrive at the hospital I can see Scott tense before the doors. “You don’t have to come with me. It’s okay,” I say, sliding my hands in my jean pockets. “I’ll understand if you don’t. It’ll be awkward for me too if the roles were reversed.”

            “No, I’m going to do this. I’m just, slightly, nervous.”

            I pat his back before going inside, Scott right behind me. We take the elevator up to Alison’s floor where the nurses immediately greet me.

            Scott gives me a shocked look. “How often do you come here?”

            I shrug. “Once every other day,” I answer before passing the nurse desk b Alison’s room. “Hi guys,” I say. “This is my friend, Scott, and we’re here to see Alison. Is her family here?”

            This one elderly nurse shakes her head. “Nope. They left about an hour ago.”

            That’s good. Scott doesn’t have to feel as nerve to meet her family.

            “Thanks. We’ll visit for a little while before leaving,” I respond and waving goodbye before heading to her room.  

            When we get in Alison’s room, I take the seat beside her bed and look up to see Scott frozen at the doorway. He looks nervous. He’s twirling his fingers and looking at the foot of Alison’s bed.

            “You don’t have to be here,” I say. “You can wait in the cafeteria while I visit. I won’t be long.”

            Scott shakes his head and walks the rest of the way in with determination. He takes a deep breath before slowly turning his head to see Alison. When he does, his posture deflates. He curses under his breath and wraps his arms around himself. “S-She looks the same, that’s good.”

            I’m not going to respond with a snarky comment because he’ processing seeing Alison for the first time since the accident.

            Scott walks to the seat beside mine and sits down. “She looks better than I thought she would.” I turn and look at him, so he adds, “In a good way.”

            “Are you not as nervous anymore?”

            Scott lets out a nervous breath. “No, I’m okay. I was just nervous seeing what she looked like. I’m happy she isn’t badly injured.”

            “When she wakes up and out of the hospital she’ll need to do physical therapy for who knows how many weeks. I hope she wakes up this week so she’ll be able to go to college in the fall,” I say, looking at Alison.

            Her mom brushed her hair again, which you can tell, because it’s laid neatly passed her chest. Alison’s hair has grown out during this time. I wonder if she’ll cut it once she wakes up. The bruises on her arms are almost gone, which is a good sign. I just want her to wake up already.

            “Are you going to be here prom night? Instead of the dance,” Scott asks beside me.   

            I shrug. “I don’t know. I might go to the dance single, but I don’t know if I’ll enjoy it when you guys have dates.”

            “You can always get a date just for prom night?” he suggests timidly.

            I shake my head. “I can’t. I won’t.”

            “We aren’t dating her, but I understand how your feelings have changed. I just don’t want you hurt when she wakes up. What if she doesn’t want to date you? Since college is coming up and I don’t know what college she’s going to, what if she lets you go emotionally because she doesn’t want to hold you back?”

            I know where Scott’s coming from and it just makes this situation worse. I wish I would’ve gotten my act together earlier in high school and realize how I felt about Alison. Now, it may be too late to date.

            “Her dad said she’s going somewhere a couple hours north,” I say. “She may be going to a college close to mine. It can work out between us.”

            “How are you going to tell her that you read her journal?”

            “I just will—when the time is right.” My annoyance is rising and I hope Scott doesn’t keep asking these questions. “I’ll worry about it when she wakes up.”

            Silence fell over us. With Scott here, I feel awkward talking to Alison. So when Scott gets up to go get food, it gives me a few minutes to talk before I go down to join Scott for lunch. I tell Alison about the game and our win, how my father came home and surprised me, and the trip to Scott’s family cabin. It felt nice talking about it, even if she doesn’t respond. Once I’m done, I say goodbye to Alison then the nurses.

            “See you later,” I say, waving goodbye.

            “Nate,” one of the nurses calls my name.

            I turn around and see her motioning for me to come to her. I do and ask, “Is everything okay?”

            She nods and smiles. “Are you excited to hear she may wake up soon?”    

            “I wish she’d wake up now if I had my way.”

            The nurse chuckles. “She sure is lucky to have a boyfriend like you.”

            I debate rather I should correct her. And as I look into her innocent, elderly face, I know I can’t lie to her. “Oh, um, I’m not her boyfriend.” She gives me a confused look before I add, “I plan to be though. If she wants to.”

            The smile returns to the woman’s face. “You’re such a sweet boy. Alison is lucky, or will be, lucky to have you.”

            Will she? After all these years are ignoring her will she give me a chance?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.8K 486 57
I don't really care what Nate has done. He will always be Kol Mikaelson in my eyes. Please keep your Nate Hate out of the comments on this book. Sta...
39.4K 1.3K 22
[COMPLETED] ᴰᵒⁿ'ᵗ ᵏⁱˡˡ ᵐᵉ ʲᵘˢᵗ ʰᵉˡᵖ ᵐᵉ ʳᵘⁿ ᵃʷᵃʸ ᶠʳᵒᵐ ᵉᵛᵉʳʸᵒⁿᵉ ᴵ ⁿᵉᵉᵈ ᵃ ᵖˡᵃᶜᵉ ᵗᵒ ˢᵗᵃʸ ᵂʰᵉʳᵉ ᴵ ᶜᵃⁿ ᶜᵒᵛᵉʳ ᵘᵖ ᵐʸ ᶠᵃᶜᵉ ᴰᵒⁿ'ᵗ ᶜʳʸ, ᴵ ᵃᵐ ʲᵘˢᵗ ᵃ ᶠʳᵉᵃᵏ ...
26 14 7
Alisa's journey begins with a rocky start as her expulsion from school and academic struggles evoke a mix of disappointment and concern from her moth...
5.1K 779 31
What would it feel like to wake up one day and find out your whole life was a dream? Peyton Comber has been in a coma for three years. But that's not...