Hidden Kingdom

By Leostar729

Avian Ravenwood has always known her place in the world since she was young, serving the Royalty she had been... More

Warning
āŠ±Chapter 1 - part one šŸ—” Failed LessonāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 1 - part two šŸ—” SummoningāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 2 šŸ—” An Unwanted GuestāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 3 šŸ—”SurprisesāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 4 šŸ—”Birthday BashāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 5 - part one šŸ—”Introducing MagicāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 5 - part two šŸ—”Elemental StrengthāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 6 - part one šŸ—”Mage TrialsāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 6 - part two šŸ—”Master MageāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 6 - part three šŸ—”A Royal CommandāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 7 šŸ—”Beginnings of CourtingāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 8šŸ—”Courting DisasterāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 9 šŸ—”Courting SecrecyāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 10 šŸ—”Beginnings of PanicāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 11 šŸ—”Death within LifeāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 12 šŸ—”Eternal SorrowāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 13 šŸ—”NightmaresāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 14 šŸ—”Revenge MissionāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 15 šŸ—”Revenge is SweetāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 16 šŸ—”Mission OrderāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 17 šŸ—”Mission OneāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 18 šŸ—”Unpleasant CompanyāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 19 šŸ—”Unending NightmareāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 21 šŸ—”Attempting SeductionāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 22 šŸ—”Jail BreakāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 23 šŸ—”Hidden TruthsāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 24 šŸ—”Decoding the PastāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 25 šŸ—”Dragon BondingāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 26 šŸ—” Stifling Truths āŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 27 šŸ—”Chosen Future āŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 28 šŸ—”A Lover's BetrayalāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 29 šŸ—” A Dragon Encounter āŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 30 šŸ—”Destiny's DecisionāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 31 šŸ—”A Mother' guidance and a King RevealedāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 32 šŸ—”Hidden KingdomāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 33 šŸ—”Mother's StoryāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 34 šŸ—”Anxiety RisingāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 35 šŸ—”Sky TrialsāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 36 šŸ—”Capture the Magic FlagāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 37 šŸ—”Magical ChallengesāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 38 šŸ—”All or NothingāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 39 šŸ—”Nightmare CallingāŠ°
āŠ±Chapter 40 šŸ—”The King's Blade āŠ°
Authors Note

āŠ±Chapter 20 šŸ—”Hostage SituationāŠ°

37 1 1
By Leostar729

Hello and welcome back!!!!!! If you are here that means you have probably just finished the first part of the four part update!!! This chapter is dedicated to Tooncesthedishwasher for their helpful comment in one of my chapters bringing my attention to an error in my writing and for adding my book to their reading list. Rest assured I will eventually fix that error, probably in my next run through of editing. Now onto the next chapter!

------------------------------------------------------------

After confirming that the two boys were okay I examine our surroundings more closely. Coming face to face with the man who knocked me out with just a few words squatting in front of the cage. "You were having a nightmare." It wasn't a question as he extracted his overly warm hand from my shoulder where it had been previously resting. Pulling it out from between the bars of the cage.

Though he said it as a statement I had the need to answer it, like it was something I had to answer. "Yes." My voice came out raspy holding a hollowness.

The answer made him frown as he continued to study me. Before asking the question that echoed through his eyes he cocked his head to the side causing his bangs to partially shield his gaze. "What of?"

I sighed as I slightly shook my head having an internal battle within myself. One side stated there was no need to lie to this stranger about my nightmare. It had nothing to do with my mission. The other not wanting to revel any weakness to a possible enemy. "My sister died and I keep seeing her in my dreams. She torments me." The words choked out ad choppy as they bubbled from deep down in my throat. But a sudden weight lifted from my chest as I finally told someone what had been plaguing me. I hadn't even told my father or Camron about my nightmares.

The man's smile gave off a warmth I had not known in a long time, "Not anymore. After tonight you are free." With that he stood up to turn away. My eyebrows furrowed from confusion, what had he meant?

Puzzled at his words I realize that my shoulder where he placed his hand to shake me awake still throbbed with warmth and tingles. "What did you do to me? Are you a mage?" His long legs carrying him several strides away. Ignoring my questions or he wasn't inclined to answer them. "Wait!" He paused for a brief moment. Half turning his head my direction. "Why am I here? What do you want with me?"

I held my breath as I waited for his answer. His head tilted once more to the side as his voice rang out clearly in the night, "My boss was curious about you. He wanted us to retrieve you and I obeyed. However I have no clue as to the intentions he has for you." After answering the questions he disappeared into the darkness.

While I waited for my companions to wake I felt that the man had spoken in half truths. As he talked there had been a slight quiver to his voice as if he weren't completely accustomed to lying. I would know all too well as it had become an advantage to have grown up surrounded by people in the court ranging in different skill levels in lying.

Shaking my head to clear my thoughts from the mysterious man I turn my attention on how to get out of this mess. First off, I would have to figure out how to bust us out of these cages as silently as possible. My first option was to use magic to unlock the door, if that failed then I would have to locate the key.

The key would most likely be with the leader of this group or the second in command. Groans from the other cage had my head snapping up from where I seemed to be having a stare down with the ground. Surprised I hadn't felt myself zone out.

Jake and Dax struggled to fully awaken. Sitting back not bothering to call out until one of them took notice of me. Dax managed to snap out of his reverie first. Calling out to me in what could have been classified as a whisper yell, "Avi are you alright? What happened?"

Jake gave him a puzzling stare, answering without much thought, "Looks like we got kidnapped."

"Thank you Captain Obvious." I shook my head exasperated by the two of them. "I was correct about us stopping. Someone was following us. You guys clearly had been jumped as I left to investigate a noise I had heard. When I came back a man appeared and knocked me out with either some kind of powder or magic. I am leaning towards magic since it had an incredibly familiar feel about it." Complaining about our misfortune.

"We need to get out of here." Jake sighed to himself as he threw his body back onto the ground, sprawling out. Dax rolled his eyes, slapping Jake on this forehead.

Rolling my eyes along with Dax, "Right again Captain Obvious. What do you think I have been planning for the last little while as the two of you have been snoozing?" Movement coming from my right catches my attention.

Reminding me that one of our members is still out cold. "Hang on for a second. Bao is still out and we can't escape without him, as sad as that is." Scooting my way over to Bao's knocked out form I raise one of my hands high into the air, preparing for what I was about to do. Grinning I whisper more to myself than the boys watching me, "I have always wanted to do this." With that said I brought my hand down across his face in a hard slap.

I continued my slapping assault until Bao groaned from the pain. Finally prying his eyes open. By then both of his cheeks were colored crimson red. Puffing up from them swelling. Was it so wrong that I got intense pleasure from seeing the damage my hands had done? "Where are we?" He sat up in a daze, running a hand over his face as he continued to wake. "Ow my cheeks sting!" Sending a glare towards me while I smiled sheepishly.

"Well thanks to you three being idiots we are trapped somewhere in the forest by a band of, well for the lack of a better word, bandits." Griping my contempt at him.

"This is my fault?" He growled while rubbing his cheeks to subside the stinging.

"Yes! I told you something was wrong and not for us to stop. But you wouldn't listen! If you hadn't insisted that we stop we could be in the next town and not sitting here captured." I seethe as I climb to my feet, letting them carry me to pace the small confines of the cage like a wild animal.

"Why do you always have to try and blame things on me?" He nearly yells out in exasperation.

Pausing in my pacing I stab a figure down towards his chest, "Because usually it is you that messes everything up." I mutter under my breath.

He narrowed his eyes at me from his seat on the ground, "Mind repeating that for me?"

Preparing to reply but before I could get out a snarky comment Dax cut me off. "Enough! Fighting amongst ourselves isn't going to get us out of our predicament. If we hope to escape we have to work together. Then when we get home you can resume ripping each other's throats out to your hearts content." Dax made intricate movements in the air with his hands, putting an emphasis to his point.

Usually I would have agreed but at the moment I was beyond furious at the male I shared a cage with. About to go off on Dax, Jake jumped into the conversation knowing my intent from the look in my eyes. "Avian, don't. You know he is right. There is no point in punishing Dax with your words. Calm down my friend." Jake tried to sooth.

Huffing out in annoyance I spoke in a relatively calm voice, "I know Dax is right, Jake. Though I am still mad at Bao. I will put my anger aside for now." Turning to gaze out into the distance as night was falling. The stars starting to make an appearance.

"So what do we do?" Jake stood up, his back cracking in the process making him let out a sigh of relief.

Noticing a few people coming our way I slightly turn towards my boys, "I have a loose plan forming, though first we have company." Their attention snapped up to the figures of our so called hosts that have graced us with their presence.

A man with a large build was openly studying my figure took in my figure as if I were a piece of meat. His watery blue eyes taking on a predatory air. Long blond hair covering half of his head as the other half was clean shaved, a few braids running through the loose portion. A smirk gracing his lips, bringing my annoyance to a higher level. "King's Blade Avian I presume." His voice deep with a gritty undertone, grating unpleasantly on my ears.

Not acknowledging the one who spoke instead I chose to glare at his companion who happened to be the person I spoke with earlier. He didn't utter a word. Instead opted to grin towards my direction as if I were an old friend as he stuck more to the shadows.

The two men weren't alone. A handful of what I was guessing were guards stood at attention behind them. Shifting my gaze back to the man supposedly in charge as he waited for my response. His feet shifting underneath him in growing agitation.

My lips pull into a sneer showing my disdain for the blond man, "It is apprentice. I have yet to take over for my father." Crossing my arms letting my eyes take on a harsh coldness, giving him a glacial glare. "Who are you to keep me.....us prisoned here? What do you want with us?" I nearly snarled, barely keeping myself in check.

"Please forgive my rudeness. Where are my manners?" He chuckled more to himself. I however rolled my eyes. The man staring at me from the shadows lightly laughed as he caught my slight movement of attitude. "My name is Bartholomew, leader of the rogue bandits. Next to me is my second in command Alex. As for what I am going to do with you. Well that is a bit complicated."

"Enlighten me." My stance stiff not giving anything away.

Bartholomew took on a dark air, "The King you serve massacred our villages. Killing hundreds of our people. As your King never leaves that castle of his, we cannot take him prisoner. You were our next option. Therefore I captured you and your companions. We are taking you to the surviving elders in order for them to decide your fate. You are to take your King's punishment on his behalf as you are in line to ascend to be his Sword. It will likely end in death for you. As for your companions, it would be better for my people if we left no loose ends." Bartholomew's tone growing sharp as a blade.

I clinched my fists closed to keep myself from attempting to thrash this major prick. Pressing myself against the cage bars I allowed a snarl to come forth from my throat, "That is not fair. The King's actions are not my own. Why should I be held responsible? If you have a problem it before him? Isn't it just as cruel to subject four innocent people to death for the actions of another?"

At my clear disrespect his face gleamed a red hue from increasing anger, "Life itself isn't fair. Is it fair to let hundreds of innocents die without seeking revenge against the man who is at fault? You are the King's right hand, are you not? Or at least you soon will be. Which is good enough for me and many others as well. If the elders do decide to keep you alive then a note will be sent to the King. If he wants you back then he will pay dearly for you."

He turned to walk away from the cage stopping a foot away. Turning around in an afterthought. "Oh and don't try any magic. That is if you are actually a user, which I doubt you are. The cages are enchanted to stop any kind of magic usage." With that said he scoffed as he made his way to his camp.

--------------------------------------------------

Hello again! I hope you enjoyed your time in the Hidden Kingdom world. As I have stated before any advice or comments are welcome. It helps improve my writing further and I do enjoy hearing what you guys have to say. Now onto the third part of this four part update!

As always, Vote, Comment, and Keep Reading. Onwards!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 751 38
A long time ago when the cold blooded King and the shape shifter King had made peace with each other having hunters as the common enemy. Shane, Lydia...
4.1K 410 71
Beneath broken stone and warped metal, a solitary raven panics as it senses imminent danger. It escapes certain death mere seconds before the structu...
487 96 30
Before you begin this story, I must warn you first. This is not a tale of dashing knights and lovely damsels awaiting rescue. It is not the tale of h...
6.2K 682 89
The Dragon court under the now ancient King Magnus is a dangerous and ruthless place to grow up. A fact Estella has learned in painful detail. It's h...