Crimson

By Fanfunctional

Welcome to Arcadia Academy- where friendships are forged, memories are made, and enemies lurk behind every un... More

Chapter 1: TRAINing For This
Chapter 2: Arcadia Castle
Chapter 3: Rebellion & Red Hair
Chapter 4: Fresh Prince of Belmont
Chapter 5: Finding Simone
Chapter 6: Deception
Chapter 7: Libraries and Liquor
Chapter 8: Answers
Chapter 9: The Five
Author's Note
Chapter 10: Roman
Chapter 11: The Party
Chapter 12: Class
Chapter 13: Aren't YOU Popular
Chapter 14: Y/n's Blood
Chapter 15: A Wet Weekend
Chapter 16: A Lit Weekend
Chapter 17: A Magical Weekend
Chapter 18: A Daring Weekend
Short Update (Nothing New)
Chapter 19: A Starry Weekend
Chapter 20: Too Many Questions
Chapter 21: Welcome to the Night Class
Chapter 22: Off To A Bad Start
Chapter 23: The Second Night
โคCrimson Group Chatโค
๐ŸŒœTHE OBSERVATORY๐ŸŒ›
Chapter 24: Ever the Trickster
Chapter 25: The Creatures Almanac
Chapter 26: Unraveling
Chapter 27: Dreadful Coincidence
Chapter 28: Arcadia's Secret
Chapter 29: Morning With The Undead
Chapter 30: A Day in Delwood
My Message
Chapter 31: The Disappearing Shop
Chapter 32: The Gang Returns
LIVE STREAM WITH FAN [OCT.26]
Hallows' Eve 1939
Chapter 33: Weekend's End
Chapter 34: A Legend Returns
Chapter 35: Hearts of Steal
Chapter 36: Broken Glass
Chapter 37: Make A Wish
COVER WINNER
Chapter 38: Maurice Speaks
Chapter 39: Memory Lane
Chapter 40: The Plan of Attack
II- Chapter 41: Vampire Hunting for Dummies
II- Chapter 43: Meta-Speculation
II- Chapter 44: Belรญssimo
II- Chapter 45: In Plain Sight
II- Chapter 46: A Warn Welcome
II- Chapter 47: Birds of Prey
II- Chapter 48: What Friends Are For
II- Chapter 49: Coffee Date Complications
II- Chapter 50: Mutual Exchange
II- Chapter 51: Tattletales
II- Chapter 52: Exploiting Friends in a House of Cards
II- Chapter 53: Putting Out Fires with 3 Litres of Gasoline
Arcadia Discord Server Now Live

II- Chapter 42: Burnt Photographs

5.5K 301 379
By Fanfunctional

"How did you know where I was?" Maurice asked.

"That's all you care about?" Eleanor replied coldly. "Theo told me everything. I know how this place works and what you've been keeping from me. Why didn't you ever tell me?"

"I was trying to protect you," Maurice said. "Come inside, we need to talk. Where's Theodore?"

"Y/n?"

Eleanor had finally seen you. His eyes narrowed in disbelief.

"What are- why are you here?"

Maurice pulled his brother inside and promptly shut the door. Then, with much resistance, brought him to the table where you stood uncomfortably, unsure of what to do or say.

"If you were able to find this place it means you already know that magic is real," Maurice said.

"How can you see without your glasses?" Eleanor asked.

"Never mind," Maurice answered. "Y/n is here because she knows too. There's still a lot you don't know, and I don't know what Theodore told you..."

"He told me enough," Eleanor replied in a detached tone. "But I figured everything out on my own. Now tell me what's going on and why you two are together."

After quickly eyeing Maurice, you saw he was dead serious. He didn't look at you as he spoke, but Eleanor's eyes darted from you to him like a cat's tail swinging back and forth.

Eleanor almost seemed to know more than you, and he hadn't even read the almanac. It didn't surprise you that there were more books in the vast libraries that could have said any number of things. But it was truly the incident with Sophia that told him something wasn't right.

And so Maurice explained everything- that the night students were vampires Cadere had collected over the years in the hopes of helping and training- vampires with unique abilities. Maurice told Eleanor that he'd met Theodore when he was beginning school and that Theodore saved his life. Only over the last two years did he begin going to school. And most importantly, he explained that the vampires knew that you knew, and that both her and Theodore were in danger. It was obvious Maurice didn't want to tell Eleanor about your role in anything or even about Theodore being held spiritually captive, but Eleanor knew Theodore didn't have his kitsune balls so there was no point trying to hide anything from him anymore.

Eleanor's anger slowly melted into worry, although it didn't disappear completely.

"We obviously have a lot more to talk about," Maurice said to his brother. "But the night class doesn't know that you know. While I'm training y/n you can be a part of this too."

"Don't you think it's seventeen years too late?"

Maurice took a second before speaking.

"I only wanted to protect you. I see now that sometimes you have to subject yourself to pain in order to avoid it."

Eleanor glanced at you, something stirring in those eyes.

"And you're okay with this?"

"I'm not okay with anything," you said, beginning to hear rain fall outside. "But this is the reality."

Everyone ate Maurice's cooking in awkward silence, although after some time passed you and Eleanor began going back and forth about how you knew all along there was something not right about Arcadia. After lunch, Maurice told you that you'd better know what to expect from each night student, and this peaked Eleanor's attention.

True he told his brother just about everything, but he didn't tell Eleanor exactly how you were planning on finding the thief. The boy had heard too much for one day.

"Dimitri is the one I've seen the least," you told Maurice.

"He's also known Cadere for a very long time," he said as he set down his glass. "Dimitri is a powerhouse- he comes from a long line of pure blood vampires like Lucian. I know the castle belonged to his family at one point too."

"And his powers?" You asked eagerly.

Maurice grew grim.

"I'm not sure exactly, but- and this is just what Roman told me- apparently Dimitri can sort of... control other people."

"How?" Eleanor asked.

"He wouldn't say," Maurice replied.

"Does Roman trust you?" You asked.

The boy seemed lost in thought for a moment.

"I'll tell you this much y/n- Roman is so guarded it's a miracle I ever get anything out of him. But since I was around that dorm so often I got to know the people there. And Theodore could shapeshift with his kitsunebi so we'd sneak around as 'students' all the time."

"Avery can do that," you remarked.

"That and a lot more," Maurice said. "I don't care how Avery acts, he is... he... let's just say Avery knows far too much. Please be careful around him. He can make you see things, hear things, and you never know where he is. That son of a bitch is dangerous."

"I can't believe this, how can we know who we're really talking to then?" Eleanor asked.

Maurice frowned.

"You can't."

Together you and Eleanor exchanged looks.

"Unless we knew exactly how his shapeshifting worked. Clever or not, these powers are hard to source out. But getting close to Avery shouldn't be too difficult," Maurice said, looking at you. "The difficult thing is fooling him. You have to be real, with any of them."

"They were my friends not too long ago," you said. "I- I don't know, I guess they're different now. I wish they weren't."

After a moment, you added, "they didn't choose to be vampires."

"Well I don't mean harm to anyone not involved in stealing from Theodore," Maurice said dryly. Eleanor gave you a funny look. "But whoever is responsible knows what they're doing and whatever they want to use Theodore for it can't be good. Now- Eleanor- you are not to tell anyone about this. Not a soul."

"Okay, I won't." He said.

And then in silent agreement the three of you made a pact to work together to fight for Theodore's freedom. Like the three musketeers you'd been on patrol, minus a member perhaps- but still with Theodore as your d'Artagnan.

~
What was meant to last a few days lasted the entire break. Except for retrieving your things, you didn't see a single night student or teacher for the whole week and change. But although you had miles to go, you were happy with your progress so far. It really helped having Eleanor there, if only just for that release of anxiety you had keeping secrets from him. You began not just sparring with him using actual weapons but working out, supporting eachother. Eleanor pushed hardest of all, and you thought this was his way of venting anger at Maurice for keeping said secrets hidden for so long.

Something about Eleanor made itself apparent within the first few days while you were taking turns blocking eachother's punches. Maurice had gotten word from Theodore that he was back in his house, and he needed to meet him there. So it was just you, and Eleanor, and the sunset window.

It wasn't the window distracting you this time, even though, again, it was not an accurate depiction of the weather outside. Something about how the boy was punching. The way his hair moved when his fist struck your palm. There was a ferocity lying only so deep behind his frames that reminded you of some familiar thing you knew you'd never seen before.

Your friend from the train on the first day wasn't all too different but you could tell he was changing. Suddenly there was more on the line, and the danger was real. It became harder to care about school and it wasn't even Christmas yet, but with Theodore having an uncertain amount of time to survive without his life source...

The kitsune finally showed himself about halfway through the week. You could not believe this was the head of second years guiding the students around the school loudly complaining about the night class, and joking about girls. The kid with hair the colour of a tall caesar, had somehow been older than all of you. Much older. And he looked like shit.

But he expressed his gratitude to you both for caring so much. Since vampires couldn't get in to Jack's, or Theodore's house, that's where he was staying. Maurice assured you that when Jack got back (from wherever he was), he'd work his magic and vampire-proof your rooms as well. You thought it irresponsible not to have the entire day class area vampire-proofed but then again, Maurice reminded you witches weren't just walking around everywhere and it wasn't that simple.

Aside from that, and the newfound (though not great) self-defence knowledge, Maurice was planning on arming you with a bit of gear to make sure, well, you didn't die. Great.

Your favourite thing was the upgrade your school shoes got. The heel was replaced by Theodore who used a sharp wooden one instead that was practically identical. The outside looked the same, but inside- not much different from a stake. Eleanor was left out of a lot of this and you could tell it didn't go unnoticed. But you were the one who was going to have to get the truth out of the night students. You were the one most at risk.

Maurice stressed that the night students were much older, stronger, faster, and smarter. They had been alive (or dead rather) for decades before you and as a result, marching in on patrol with an arsenal of stakes and holy water and garlic was just not on the table.

After the week was over, you and Eleanor were stuck together in this new world. Things would never be the same.

~
"Why did everybody leave on break and nobody tell me?" Simone whined. "I was like the only one on patrol."

It felt good to be back, even though you'd be compromising your studies to continue working with Maurice.

"Did you all go on vacation or something..." Simone asked, eyeing the inside of her empty glass.

"I've been sick all week and it's probably not getting better," Theodore said.

While nothing bad had happened to him yet, as per the letter, he had to maintain his appearances, except for one minor thing.

"I can't believe you quit the night patrol," she said, dropping the other subject. "The year just started."

"School is harder this year, I didn't expect it."

Are we really never going to tell Simone about this? You wondered.

"You look good Eleanor," she said. "How's Maurice doing?"

"He's been busy marking term stuff. But he'll probably be dealing with first years starting- today actually," he replied. "And thanks."

"Well, no use hanging around with empty plates," she said with a frown. Then the three of you got up, looking back at Theo.
"See you."

As you made your way out the dining hall, where less than two weeks ago you'd seen Maurice triumphantly enter, you couldn't take your eyes off Theo, sadly leaning against the table. None of the students around him knew what he was going through. And no one knew what things he might have to do- not even you.

Sylabil began the patrol (something she hadn't done for a solid while) by telling you that soon there would be some changes. She wouldn't elaborate, but said that next term the patrol was going to have an overhaul. Vague. Was Cadere on board? You'd almost forgotten about him.

As the three of you entered the building, disregarding your fellow patrol members, you and Eleanor shared a peculiar bond now over this secret. You got a similar feeling when you watched Maurice's memories. You wondered, if Simone had figured it out first, would you feel the same way towards her?

Partners weren't quite necessary but you decided to go on your own. You had to do whatever you could to find the kitsunebi or at least figure out if the night students had anything to do with it. You weren't afraid of getting close to them but you were terrified of them finding out. So what should you do? Sneak around or look for one of the friends Maurice seemed determined to prove were enemies?

Before you could decide, you heard a voice you had almost forgotten.

"I thought we'd scared you away," Roman said. The redhead had just left his room, still above you, book in hand. That was one of the questions you hadn't asked Theo- why he took the almanac from Roman's room. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing!" You replied. "What are you reading?"

He gave you a funny look and showed you the cover before descending the stairs. It was a copy of 1984.

Roman had a seat on the couch without paying you much attention. So despite your instincts, you decided to sit right next to him. Would he continue the act or be forced to acknowledge you?

Apparently, he'd keep ignoring you.

"What was 1984 like?" You asked him.

Roman didn't look up but it was clear he wasn't reading.

"Interesting," he said.

"How old are you?" You asked.

"Are we playing 21 questions?" He retorted.

You forced aside any ulterior motives. This was Roman, the same Roman who brought the corridor to life with light.

"Crucify me for being curious," you said, leaning over to see where he was in the book.

"You haven't turned the page in a while," you said after a couple seconds.

Roman groaned and aggressively snapped the book shut.

"What do you want?"

"Nothing..." you said, a bit pleased he was finally looking at you. "Fine."

You stood up, and began to walk away.

"I guess I'll go find one of the other boys, they're more fun anyway."

"Wait," he said. "Don't- ughhhhhhhhh. Fine."

Roman tossed the book on the couch.

"I'll keep you company if you're really that desperate," he said, palm on his face. "But only until class starts. Whenever that is."

You tried hard to conceal your excitement. It was just like how things used to be- despite his distant attitude in Delwood. All sense of danger gone, you trotted up to him.

"Just don't say I'm not fun," he said.
"While we're playing 21 questions, where were you over the break?" Roman asked, careful with his words.

"Aw, you care?" You asked jokingly. You knew you were playing with fire.

Roman rolled his eyes.

"Not really," he replied slowly. "Just being courteous."

"You know all about courtesy," you said sarcastically.

"I do actually," he replied. "I just choose not to bother anymore. Over a hundred years and you'll be sick of it."

"You're old."

"Thanks," he said slowly and drawn out.

"Well, I did a bit of traveling, mostly just did my own thing though. Bit behind on school because patrol is like a non-paying job," you said. "I get paid in asshole remarks from you."

"And that's still better than nothing," he sighed, grinning slightly.

"It would seem so," you chuckled.

"I heard Theo quit," he said, looking down at you. You hadn't even realized you'd started walking down the hall, and now his tone was laced with interrogation.

"I think he's been swamped too," you said quickly. "You should ask him though. I know you guys are friends and stuff."

"Yeah, I've known him for a while," he replied strangely.

"So where are we going?" You asked, eager to avoid Theodore in conversation.

Roman shrugged. "It's kind of a pain, having you kids patrol us. Especially considering we're older and far more powerful BUT I digress... this is the way to the night dorm library. Didn't Lucian or someone show you when you were here?"

You shook your head. Would Lucian be there? You'd definitively have to talk to him after last time.

"Well, it's bound to be empty, and in typical 'Luci' fashion, there's liquor in plain sight," he said. "If you want to bother me all night and ask me stupid questions I'll only do it if I'm plastered. Unless, you're not as fun as the other day class girls..."

Very funny, throwing my words right back to me, you thought.

"That's fine, I don't really care," you said. "Just don't eat me."

"Don't worry, I already ate."

~
The library was not unlike the other libraries you had seen. But given that this was for night students in the night dorm, it was quite dark. You stepped inside, large windows adorning the interior but with red curtains draped across them. Once the entry closed, your insides were shot with panic as two hands harshly grabbed your shoulders.

You turned around to hear Roman laughing boyishly.

"That is not funny Roman!" You said, hitting his chest with the back of your hand.

"I'll let you get away with that this time only because I got you to admit you're afraid of the dark," he chuckled. That's when you remembered the night you first met him. Guess people don't change.

"Come on, I'll make you a drink, it's boring as hell here," he said.

"I can't see anything," you said, feeling his presence begin to walk away.

"Oh, right."

Suddenly, Roman's face lit up in the darkness as a flame rose above his hand.

"Wanna hold hands?" He joked.

You put your hands on your hips without thinking and gave him a look.

"Oh don't be so full of yourself," he said. "I'm kidding."

"Can you make it less dark?" You asked.

"Would setting the school on fire be too much?"

"Just a bit," you replied.

Suddenly, the room was dimly illuminated by the few candles on the walls and low hanging chandelier above the center, although the fireplace near the chairs was unlit. It was more mood lighting than anything else but at least you could see.

"I sadly don't have anything to offer you to eat but if you're as courteous as me, you won't let me drink alone," he said, walking over to the end of the library. Every book looked ancient. Roman opened the drawers of the study desk and pulled out a green bottle. "Lucian won't mind."

"Uh, are you sure about that?" You asked.

"Nothing is free, my company for yours," he said.

You walked over to Roman who swiftly opened the bottle and took out two glasses.

"Now, if I'm caught here casually drinking with you, I'm going to be in more hell than I'm already in with everyone else," he said as the liquid flowed into the glass.

"I thought two minutes ago you hated me," you said.

"Don't push your luck, y/n," he said.

"Why is everyone mad at you?"

"It doesn't matter," he said, walking over to you and handing you a glass. Your fingers brushed his as you took it. Both of you sat side by side, divided by an end table in wing chairs matching the drapes. The carpet matched also.

"The truth is y/n, I'm bored. I'm tired," he stressed. "I know as much as I have to about the people here and what I don't, I don't care to."

You kept staring at your glass.

"I'm already strong enough as it is, and I don't really even care about getting stronger," he said, taking a long swig.

"Is that why Cadere started Arcadia?" You asked.

"Enebris is decent. He's by far the best one here," he said, not answering the question. "But I came here after the others. And I don't really care."

"What do you care about then?" You asked.

For a second Roman's expression seemed to settle back into contempt; he silently set down his glass, leaning forward before speaking.

"I don't."

After you didn't say anything, Roman chuckled while taking another drink. "Why am I talking to you?"

You shrugged, making a show of lifting the glass to your lips and swallowing until it was clear, before setting it down on the end table between you.

"Because you're bored. Because you're tired," you said.

A smirk grew on Roman's face. It had been a while since you saw anything other than disinterest or angst. He was clearly amused.

"Well, well, well," Roman said. "That was impressive. Where'd you learn that, Lucian?"

"No," you lied.

Roman laughed earnestly.

"I suppose it'd be irresponsible for me to offer another drink to a minor," he said, holding out his glass. "Want a sip of mine?"

You felt your face flush. Roman looked pleased.

"You're really easy to get to, you know that?" He said.

You jumped as the fireplace suddenly roared into life, Roman still looking at you with a soft smile. You wanted to tell him off for that but it'd only prove his point.

"So what brings a scared little girl like you to Arcadia Academy?" He asked, lounging comfortably.

"I'm not that easy to get to," you couldn't help arguing, even if it was in good humour.

Roman rolled his head to face yours, smirk not eager to leave.

"You are," he said. "And I'm not going to bother answering any of your questions unless you answer mine."

"It's rich coming from you you know- are you forgetting how easily you're bothered?" You asked.

A couple embers spat from the fire.

"Try living over a century and then tell me you don't have the right to be tired of it," he said, bothered, proving your point. Just like that, his eyes had darkened.

"I came to Arcadia after being homeschooled in junior year," you said. "It's funny, but I don't remember why I was taken out exactly. I guess that sounds funny-"

"No, no," he said. Roman sat his glass down. You had never had his attention like this.

"Um, yeah," you said, suddenly missing the familiarity of Roman being disinterested in you. "I've been living with my Aunt actually since I was like, eight, I think. I mean I'd stay with her while my parents were working and travelling, right, but eventually I was staying with my Aunt more and more so..."

"When was the last time you saw your parents?" He asked. Roman was leaning on his chin, talking to you, almost like a... like a friend.

"Several months ago," you lied. It was actually hard to remember.

"Family is overrated anyway," he said. Without asking he stood up and took your glass, filling it again but this time with less. He didn't touch his own.

"Yeah... I don't know," you said, watching him sit back down.

"I don't remember my family," said Roman. And only then did he avert his attention from you. He smiled at nothing. "I actually don't remember... a lot of things."

The fire crackled.

"Why not?" You asked after an uncomfortable silence.

Roman shrugged, chuckling. He lifted his glass to his lips but then noticed it was empty.
He set it back down. It was like he couldn't decide whether to talk or not, whether to laugh or cry.

"I remember being human," he said. "I don't remember nothing though- I remember faces. I remember her."

The room suddenly felt hotter.

"Can you blame me for not caring?" He said in a cold voice. "If I never cared I wouldn't be in this mess, I'd still have brothers and sisters and parents and friends and I'd know who I am."

"Roman."

"And all I'm left with are... fragments... of people and places I can't even be sure are real! And it's too late to know! Haha..."

"Roman..."

"The funny thing is y/n, not only did I lose everything- I don't even know what I lost. And she left too. Now all I want out of life is death."

"Roman!"

The boy blinked, his shoulders growing less tense. The entire inside of the fireplace was surrounded by red hot flames beginning to consume the exterior. At once, Roman's eyes cooled and the fire was gone. Only embers glowed.

The night student swallowed.

"I'm... I'm sorry," he said. He stared at the place where the fire had been, taking a deep breath. "That was uncalled for."

You didn't even realize you'd stood up. But you didn't have to think. You felt Roman's shoulders tense up as you held them the same way he had. Except you only wanted him to know it was okay.

"It's alright," you said. "It's okay to be angry."

"I wish I wasn't," he said to the ground. "I'm angry that I'm even angry. And I'm angry that everything is helpless."

Roman stood up, touching his temples. He looked pained. You could see there was a lot going on inside his head.

"I don't think you're helpless," you said, face to face.

"Okay, human," Roman snickered bitterly.

You looked up at him in silence for a few seconds.

"Well, I mean it," you said truthfully. "Even if you can be an asshole."

Roman stepped closer.

"Watch it," he said, a challenging grin on his face. Something about him was shortening your breath.

"See, I told you you were easy to get to," you said lightly.

You froze as Roman brushed a strand of wayward hair behind your ears, chuckling sweetly.

"Not as easy as you," he whispered. His eyes landed squarely on yours. Everything told you to look away but you couldn't. Your heart had to have been beating out of your chest.

"I- that's-" you failed to come up with a quick remark. "I... ha haha. You're lucky I didn't hit you."

Roman shrugged, amused.
"If you wanted to you would've."

Whether you were easy to get to or not didn't matter, because Roman was good at it.

"I have to make sure none of the other boys are... fraternizing with the patrol," you said hastily. Roman stood quite still as you walked back to your chair to make sure you hadn't forgotten anything even though you knew you hadn't. Roman was smiling, although you couldn't see that.

Without saying anything you hurried towards the door.

"Y/n," Roman said, his back to you still.

"What?"

"You're not the worst company in the world," he said, just turning his head. "Now get lost."

With a smirk of your own, you left the library, suddenly careful not to be seen leaving by any of the other night students. Coming from Roman, well, that was about the nicest thing you could hope to hear. It was such an encounter, one you'd never thought you'd have- you wanted to tell Simone right away, but then you remembered and it was best to keep her out of the details.

Still, your gut was telling you what you felt had to be true all along- that Roman was okay. And that he could be.

Roman watched the door close behind y/n and walked back to the desk, his brows furrowed at no one in particular. Somehow his mind tried to contemplate what just happened. His teeth hurt, yes. His throat ached, yes. His center burned, fine. She'd been on his mind more since the whole tissue incident but was it that euphoria that drove him to spend time with her tonight? Was it pride? Was it boredom? Was it anything? Why was he smiling so much?

Roman didn't plan on worrying about it too much for now- after all, class was about to start and he was about to have another drink.

The boy raised y/n's glass to his lips. Faintly coloured lipstick lined the rim. Funny, he couldn't tell she was wearing any. With long indulgent swigs he downed the glass, wondering what y/n tasted like and how she'd feel if she knew that's what he was thinking. Having that thought alone almost made him angry.

Almost.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2M 276K 92
After six new boys meet (Y/n), they begin an unhealthy obsession over the female and soon take it too far. There's not much chance of her escaping th...
801 20 9
โ‡จ"๐ˆ ๐‹๐จ๐ฏ๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ, ๐›๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ข ๐Ÿ๐ฎ๐œ๐ค๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ก๐š๐ญ๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ฌ๐จ ๐ฆ๐ฎ๐œ๐ก" โ‡ฆ _______________ Y/n a high schooler who lives in Tokyo, Japan has alw...
34.5K 1.1K 16
Hinata Ema is your average high school girl...at least, that's what everyone thought her to be. Hinata Rintaro, her adoptive father, is soon to be we...