Villains Rise

By AlwaysSunny

If you thought a hero's story is finished with a happily ever after... You were wrong. Della Abram is faced w... More

ANNOUNCEMENT
Cast
Chapter 1 -- Obviously not for breakfast
Chapter 2 -- Am I a dog or a monkey?
Chapter 3 -- Great. This again.
Chapter 4 -- I slept through it
Chapter 5 -- Not as ignorant as I thought
Chapter 6 -- Stay back 100 ft.
Chapter 7 -- I'll cut off your hand
Chapter 8 -- I'm sorry porkers
Chapter 9 -- An experiment gone wrong
Chapter 10 -- Hey Rapunzel
Chapter 11 -- Don't test me
Chapter 12 -- Willing to compromise
Chapter 13 -- Bad puns
Chapter 14 -- The cherry on top
Chapter 15 -- They don't suit you
Chapter 16 -- What's wrong with vanilla?
Chapter 17 -- Well played, Ace
Chapter 18 -- I'm honestly so jealous
Chapter 19 -- I could just freeze that too
Chapter 20 -- Of course she's a villain
Chapter 21 -- I'm tired of alleys
Chapter 22 -- A good day for brain damage
Chapter 23 -- If I collapse on his welcome mat
Chapter 24 -- Don't you dare sneeze
Chapter 26 -- To The Undergrounds, clumpnugget
Chapter 27 -- Hm. That's new.
Chapter 28 -- This is where I die
Chapter 29 -- I hope to get mugged
Chapter 30 -- If we threaten him enough
Chapter 31 -- Mercy, remember?
Chapter 32 -- A little backup would be nice
Chapter 33 -- Roasting like a marshmellow
Epilogue
Author's Note
Bonus Chapter 1 -- Don't go drooling now
Bonus Chapter 2 - A new sidekick

Chapter 25 -- I've seen crazier

864 74 46
By AlwaysSunny

Perception insisted that he and Gavin carry me into the house, but I don't trust Gavin to carry me and I just don't trust Perception period. It took a lot of energy, but I managed to get out of the car and climb the marble steps myself. I look back at the car, and still don't recognize the black Chevy Cruze. Who is Perception? 

Once inside, my uncle immediately clears his paper work off of the couch so I can collapse. At least it wasn't his welcome mat.

Uncle Travis grabs Gavin's wrist without saying a word and takes him into another room. I'd eavesdrop if I could get up without fainting. I'm sure Uncle Travis has to be worried for Gavin's sake for fear of the police barging down their door. What I'm more interested in hearing is how Uncle Travis will explain Gavin's powers. Would he have that conversation without his wife being included?

"Are you sure you don't want me to stick around?" Perception asks as I slowly sink into the couch. He twiddles his thumbs in circles as he looks me in the eyes. I don't know who he is, but he has no business in being here.

"I'm sure. You need to go." Whoever this guy is under the mask, I am not falling for any of his traps. I don't care if he said he has feelings for me, that is not my focus right now.

My hair is my concern.

With all of my fainting spells and physical limitations, I thought I was just suffering from my self diagnosed concussion. Now that my hair is changing too, I have a bad feeling about what's actually going on.

"Okay. I'll see you around." Perception scratches the back of his head and makes his way to the door. Once he leaves, Uncle Travis' office door bursts open.

"Okay," Uncle Travis claps his hands together, drawing my attention to him. Gavin walks down the hallway, I assume to his room. "I called your mom."

Is he talking to me? Please say no. I don't want to talk to her about my powers right now. I shut my eyes to avoid making eye contact.

"Della?" Uncle Travis' burly voice makes it's way to my ears.

"I can't talk to my mom." I blurt out, hoping this is an issue that will go away. My eyes slowly open to see his reaction.

"Well, then... Don't talk. But she knows more about super powers than I do, and she's here to help the both of you. So, like it or not, it's time to be an adult and face your problems." Uncle Travis exits the room on that note.

All I can think about is the fact that I've been avoiding my mother so I could run off and find myself, and now I literally can't run anymore. Why is she coming to help me when I've avoided her for so long? Who wants that kind of relationship with their daughter?

I've messed up big time.

***

The door bell rings and I jump at the sound. She's here. I mentally prepare myself for the lecture to come as soon as she steps over the threshold. Uncle Travis opens the door.

My mom looks like she hasn't slept in days, with the evident bags under her eyes. Her hair is tied back in a tiny bun and I have never seen my mom wear sweatpants and a t-shirt.

"Hey, Audrey." My uncle sighs, like he didn't ever want to see her at his house again.

My mom chuckles, "Someone's happy to see their older sister." She pushes past him in the doorway. Is this lady really my mom? "So why'd you decide to call me over?" My uncle runs a hand through his hair.

"Della found out about Gavin's adoption. She came and found me. Um... She's actually here now... That's why I called you." From my spot on the couch, I adjust myself to sit up. My mom turns to face the living room from the open corridor and I watch her eyes go wide.

"Della?" She rushes over to me, motherly instincts kicking in as she immediately scans my face for bruises. "What's going on?"

I brush her hands off of me, "Nothing, I'm not hurt. I just don't know what's wrong with my powers." I don't blame my uncle for calling my mom. He hardly knows me, and he doesn't have much experience with super powers of his own. Still, I wish my mother wasn't sitting beside me on this couch babying me.

"What's wrong with your powers?" She keeps her hands folded together now that I've made it obvious I don't want her affection. Uncle Travis quietly exits the room. I don't want to be left alone with my mom. I can sense the argument to come. While I contemplate what to say, I simply pull up a strand of my hair.

"My hair was white when I got new powers, and I dyed it to make it stay that way. Now it's back to my natural color, coincidentally at the same time that I can't use my super speed anymore." My anger had taken over momentarily, but now I feel the sting of tears behind my eyes.

My mom stares at me with kind eyes. That's it? She's not going to say she warned me of the dangers of being Rapid Glare? She doesn't say anything for a few moments, she just places her hand on my arm. It's breaking the boundary, but I'll allow it.

"It's going to be okay, Della." I want to scream. This isn't fair. I know what's happening, but I can't bring myself to acknowledge that it's real. Why can't she just break the news to me? It's killing me. Both of us are holding back the tears. I can see them welling up in her eyes.

"Can you just rip the Band-Aid off? Tell me what we both know. Just say it." I close my eyes and feel a tear slip out. The back of my hand brushes it away before I can think twice about showing weakness.

I try to tell myself life will be simpler without powers. That's what I've been complaining about for the longest time, right? So I should be relieved that this is happening. I don't have to pretend to know what I'm doing anymore.

Mom sniffs, looking away from me as she takes a deep breath. "I can't say for sure. This isn't something I'm too familiar with," She takes a shaky breath, "I think you're losing your old powers."

Maybe I can't do this on my own. Maybe I was wrong to run away. We weren't made to go through life fending for ourselves. But, for once, I wanted to prove to myself that I was capable of fighting on my own. I wanted to show everyone, including myself, that I wasn't just saving the day on accident because I happened to be in the right place at the right time. I was tired of being the Blooperhero. Now, I don't know how I managed to get so far and not finish the race.

"You're welcome to come home." She offers in a quiet tone under her breath.

"Mom, I can't just stop. I can't be like-" I stop myself from finishing that sentence. I turn my head so I don't look her in the eyes anymore. I immediately regret my choice of words. Too insensitive, Della. Idiot!

I thought her hand would retract from my arm, but she keeps it there. "Della, I know you think I'm a coward, but did you ever think about what I went through? I didn't just stop putting on a mask in the mornings because it was too much work. I killed Steel Hawk." She chokes on her words. I don't know if I've ever seen my mom cry.

"I don't care if he was the evilest man I have ever met," My eyes are glued on her now. "You can't end someone's life and go on like normal with your own."

My heart breaks hearing my mom talk about her past. Who would be strong enough to go on as a hero when they had that weighing on their conscience? I grab my mom's hand.

"I don't think you're a coward. You're the strongest woman I know. I look up to you as my mom and as Titania." She allows a soft smile to appear. A few seconds of silence pass.

"Powers are a huge responsibility. The town's safety rests on your shoulders. I didn't want my powers when I realized that." I admit.

My mom brushes a tear off of my cheek. "But now?"

I close my eyes to confront my feelings. "I won't even have a chance to make something of myself."

Her eyebrows shoot up. "You already have a legacy. You're the super that brought down Red Raven."

"I'm also the super that disappeared and will now never get the chance to return."

My mom rubs her hand against my arm and I find myself sitting up to hug her. I haven't hugged my mom in ages. I've shut down any emotional contact with her since I became a super. She pats my back and I cling to her because I never realized how much I needed her. How could I be such a selfish brat? She was trying her best to protect me. A few more tears fall down my face.

Uncle Travis comes back into the room and tries to tiptoe back out when he sees us hugging. I shake my head with a laugh, wiping a tear away. "No, no, you can't escape." Mom lets go of me with one last squeeze of my shoulders. I know I don't remember Uncle Travis very well, but I know my mom must think highly of him if he was the first person she thought of to enlist in her plot to save Steel Hawk's son.

"No, honestly, this isn't for me to interrupt. I'm going to give my wife a call. This has been a crazy day."

I shrug. I've seen crazier. 

My mom rolls her eyes, her back towards my uncle who just walked into his office again. She chuckles, "Jamie won't ever believe such a story."

Honestly, I wouldn't either if I was out of the loop.

In my back pocket, I feel my phone start to buzz. Mom and I look at each other curiously. I dig it out and look at the unknown number. I plop it onto the table beside the couch, ignoring the call. If they're important, they'll call back or leave a message. Seconds after it goes to voicemail, I hear another buzz. Once again, my curiosity gets the best of me and I pick my phone up again. A text from the same number. I groan out loud.

"Some peace and quiet would be nice." I mumble under my breath, to which my mom laughs.

Meet me at my house at midnight. I've got some important information for you. Come alone, and not as Rapid Glare or Orage.

My heart stops beating as I read her name along with her text.

"Who is it?" My mom asks, and my head snaps up to meet her glance. I let my eyes read over the text again before I answer her. How did she get information? How does she know both of my identities? 

I clear my throat, scrunching up my face as I read her name off. "Sophia Brown."

A/N
I almost couldn't bring myself to write this chapter. It was so emotional to bring Della and her mom together as Della is losing her powers. That brings me to ask, how did you guys react to this chapter?

Now we see Sophia is being brought back into the picture... I wonder what information she has for Della... Any guesses?

Thanks for reading!
Always, Sunny

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

396K 9K 68
Book 1 Of The Corrupt Me Series 18+!! "He Would Burn The World For Her But Not Let A Single Flame Touch Her" "May God Have Mercy On My Enemies Cause...
63.7K 22.3K 65
Everyone has at least one secret, right? But what happens when the most dangerous ones are revealed? The life of the girl behind the mask will be tu...
212K 10.7K 35
In a city full of villains, would you dare to be the hero? In Lincoln Grove, there hasn't been a hero in 12 years. Villains run rampant through the...
6.3K 934 41
Esperanza Ortega knows her father was murdered and who's to blame. Now she'll stop at nothing to make them pay. The Hemlock family has everything: lo...