anon // newtmas au

By bookara

thomas' senior year has been uneventful and boring, well that is until he receives an anonymous message from... More

intro
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
epilogue
end

chapter five

11.2K 533 2.2K
By bookara

    "Hi Minho," Thomas said awkwardly as he sat down next to the buff boy. They hadn't really spoken since Minho crushed Thomas' heart last year by trying to swallow Ben on the WICKED stage. It was just as weird as he anticipated it.

    "Hey Thomas." Minho greeted him. Then he motioned to the people sitting around him. "This is Siggy, call him Fry or he'll flip. That's Winston and the ugly one is Nick."

    "I know you like dicks, but that doesn't mean you have to be one." Nick rolled his eyes and held up his middle finger in Minho's direction.

    Minho rolled his eyes, but his and Nick's small matching smiles revealed they weren't actually mad. "Alright morons, mind your business, I gotta talk to Thomas."

    "Uh thanks for meeting me," Thomas stammered out, mentally cursing himself. Why couldn't he just talk like a normal human being?

    "So what did you want to ask me?"

    Thomas took a deep breath and folded his arms on the table. "I've been talking to this boy. He said he's had a crush on me for awhile. He's sweet and nice and interesting, I think I could possibly date him. The only problem is, he won't tell me who he is. He goes to this school and he's definitely gay and single. I've been trying to figure it out for over a month and a half now and I'm completely stuck."

    Minho scrunched his eyebrows in confusion. "Uh that's great Thomas, but why are you telling me this?"

    "Because he told me you were his first kiss and you guys dated a while back. I thought maybe you could tell me who it is."

    Minho looked even more confused. "I was his first kiss?"

    Thomas nodded. "He said it was awkward and he missed a-"

    Minho cut him off by laughing loudly. He covered his mouth to stifle his laughter but his eyes were crinkled to the point where they were almost closed. He smacked the table and dropped his head down onto it, his back shaking up and down with laughter.

    "Uh are you okay?" Thomas asked as he eyed the track caption suspiciously.

    Minho raised his head, wiping his eyes and taking a deep breath. "Wow, yeah sorry. I know exactly who it is."

    Thomas' face lit up and he sat up straighter. "You do?"

    "Oh yeah, I'm positive. Just took me off guard."

    "Who is it?"

    Minho scratched the back of his neck, pulling his lips into a line. "I'm sorry Thomas, I really can't tell you. I know why he's scared to let you know...it just really wouldn't be fair to him if I told you. This is his situation, not mine."

    Thomas let his shoulders sag and he frowned. He was so close. "I hate that what you said makes so much sense."

    Minho smiled sympathetically. "I can tell you that he's a great guy and when he does tell you, you better give him a chance."

    Thomas narrowed his eyes, looking at the track captain carefully. "That kinda sounded like a threat."

    Minho shrugged. "I look out for him."

    Thomas sighed and rubbed a hand over his face. "Well thanks anyways."

    "I'm sorry I couldn't help you more."

    Thomas gave him a half smile and went to stand up. "Can you at least tell me if he's cute?"

    Minho snorted out a laugh but nodded. "Yeah, he's cute alright. Kinda sexy in a weird way."

    Thomas found his half smile turning into a genuine one and he found himself laughing too. "Thanks Minho."

    "Hey Thomas, before you go," Minho said as Thomas turned around to leave.

    "Yeah?"

    "He's a really really good guy. Maybe think about just letting him tell you who he is when he's ready."

    Thomas was about to respond but Minho gave him a mini salute and turned to talk to Fry.

    As Thomas walked back to his table he thought about what Minho said. Maybe the whole time he'd been going about this all wrong. He shouldn't force the boy into revealing himself. Whatever reason the boy had for hiding his identity should be respected. Thomas could wait til WICKED, it was only two and a half months away. He could be patient.

***

    Thomas threw his stuff down and dropped into the seat next to Teresa as soon he got to class.

    "How'd it go with Minho?" she asked as Thomas shrugged.

    "I decided I'm done trying to find out who mystery boy is."

    Confusion washed over Teresa's face. "What? Why?"

    "I shouldn't force him into something he isn't comfortable with. I'm gonna wait to meet him until he's ready. Hopefully it's at WICKED, but if it isn't I can wait longer."

    "Wow Tom, that's really mature of you."

    Thomas smiled and pulled out his phone. He opened up his instagrams DMs and typed out a message to the boy.

    T: I talked to Minho today...no he didn't tell me anything just like you said he wouldn't. He did tell me some things that changed my mind though. I'm done trying to figure out who you are. When you're ready we'll meet, but until then...my name is Thomas and I'd love to be your friend.

    "What are you all happy about?" Teresa laughed. "Your face looks like it's gonna fall off."

    "Everything. My life, WICKED, my cute mystery boy." Thomas grinned as he dragged Teresa into their English classroom.

    Teresa laughed as she sat down in her seat. "So you and your boy are talking again?"

    Thomas nodded and gave her a lopsided grin. "Minho told me he's cute. He's nice and cute. I decided he's perfect."

    Teresa shook her head. "I'm starting to worry about you Tom."

"No! Don't worry. I'm getting to know him, it's fantastic."

    "So I'll take it the conversation with Minho was worth it after all?"

    Thomas nodded before pulling his books out and setting them up on his desk. He was about to say something when Aris walked in and smiled at Teresa. The girl smiled back and waved, making Thomas scrunch up his face in confusion.

    "Hey Teresa."

    "Hi Aris. Are you sitting with us at lunch again?"

    The boy nodded, his face lighting up like a christmas tree.

    Thomas ripped a page out of his notebook and grabbed his pen, quickly scribbling a note to Teresa.

    Since when are you and Aris so close?

    He flicked it to her, watching her carefully while she opened it. He saw her smirk and scribble something back before handing it back to him.

    First, don't be jealous. Second, I may have taken your observation into consideration...

    Thomas jaw dropped as he looked at her in disbelief. He pointed to Aris' back, mouthing out the word "prom?".

    Teresa smirked and twirled her hair around her finger, feigning innocence.

    Thomas smacked his hand down on his desk loudly, making Aris and Teresa both jump.

    "Tom!" Teresa snapped at him, giving him a death glare.

    "Me and you are talking later," Thomas said as he motioned between the two of them.

    Teresa rolled her eyes and went slid in her chair, turning toward the front as the teacher walked in.

    "Alright! Books open to page two hundred fifty..." Thomas droned out the teacher as he rested his head on his hands. He closed his eyes and let his mind wander. He thought about WICKED, prom and graduation. Everything was nearing, but he was more than ready for it. He smiled softly as he created a new makeshift list in his head. First, win WICKED. Second, meet mystery boy. Third, maybe ask mystery boy to prom. Fourth, P R O M. And lastly, graduate.

    Thomas' eyes shot open when he felt a hard flick on his temple.

    "And he's back!" Teresa yelped happily as Thomas groaned and rubbed the side of his head.

    "What was that for?"

    "You zoned out, what were you thinking about?"

    "I made a new list, it's better and it starts with winning WICKED. That means no more skipping the lab after school. It's crunch time Teresa!"

    Teresa snorted a laugh and grabbed Thomas' upper arm, pulling him up from the desk. "Okay, but we're not going to the lab today Tom."

    "What? Why not?" Thomas yanked his arm back and rubbed where Teresa had grabbed him.

    "Your phone kept lighting up so I took it and saw lots of texts from Minho. We got invited to a party tonight and I already said yes so you can't back out."

    "Teresa! Why would you do that?! And where's my phone?! Give it back!"

    "One, your phone is in your backpack. Two, why not Tom? It'll be fun."

    Thomas scowled at her as they started walking out of class. He didn't want to go to Minho's party, he wanted to work on their project then go home and text mystery boy until his fingers fell off.

    "You better tell me everything about Aris then or I'm never speaking to you again."

    Thomas smiled when he heard the response Teresa muttered under her breath.

     "Fine."

***

    Hello. Thomas flopped down on his bed, a bowl on cheez-its in his lap. He had a few hours before he and Teresa were supposed to go to Minho's

    I: hi tommy, you're home early. no lab today?

    T: No. Teresa is dragging me to Minho's party tonight

    I: not your scene I take it?

    T: Not really, I certainly prefer the labs. Are you into parties?

    I: no. they're too crowded. it's like everyone's mission is to stuff the house with as many bodies as they can before it literally explodes

    Thomas found himself laughing as he dunked his hand into the bowl, shoving a handful of cheez-its in his mouth. TRU...The music is usually shit anyways

    I: haha right. what kind of stuff do you listen to?

    T: What Teresa calls "Weird Stuff"... Oasis, The Fray, Sam Smith

    I: your "weird stuff" is good stuff. ya got good taste tommy

    A stupid smile took over Thomas' face as cheez-it crumbs dusted his lips. As do you clearly

    I: so how did teresa get invited to this party...no offense tommy but I'm pretty sure min isn't her biggest fan

    T: Her and Aris have a thing or whatever. They're probably going to prom together so I'll be going alone AGAIN...plus Minho likes me now because of you

    I: teresa and aris huh? that's kinda cute

    T: He's nice and all, but I don't know. I really thought he had a thing for Sonya

    I: nah he and sonya are just friends. remember rachael? yeah that made them rally close. kinda brought his whole group together

    Thomas frowned slightly as he held the phone tighter in his hand. Rachel was Aris' best friend. She died in a car accident a few years ago, the whole school had a memorial for her but Thomas assumed that Aris never got over it. You seem to know a lot about them

    I: i know a lot about everyone tommy ;)

    T: Snake.

    I: not a snake, just observant

    T: That's exactly what a snake would say hmm...

    I: lmao have fun at your party tommy

***

    "I look stupid."

    "No you look hot!" Teresa gushed as she smoothed out the tight black shirt she forced Thomas into.

    "You can't just dress me like I'm a goddamn Ken Doll," Thom grumbled as he wiggled in the skinny jeans he was also forced to put on against his will.

    Teresa laughed and pinched his side. "You put Ken Dolls to shame."

    "You're the actual worst best friend ever."

    "You're gonna have fun Tom, just trust me. Plus I'll introduce you to Aris' friends."

    "Wow I can barely contain my excitement."

    Teresa slapped his arm and rolled her eyes. "Stop being so dramatic and get in the car. I'm driving there so you can drive back."

    "Oh and I'm the designated driver! It gets better!"

    Teresa ignored him and thrusted the keys at him. "Go and stop complaining."

    When they got to the party, it was just like Thomas expected it to be. Too loud, too many people and way too crowded. It wasn't like Thomas had never been to a party, he had, he'd just never been to one of Minho's parties.

    Teresa dragged him inside, making an instant b-line for Aris who was standing in the corner with two girls that Thomas recognized as Harriet and Sonya.

    "Hey." Teresa smiled as she approached them. "I got Tom to come."

    Something flashed over Aris' face, but it was gone as soon as it came, he was smiling softly at Teresa. Thomas felt awkward.

    "Hi Thomas," the pretty blonde girl, Sonya, said. "I don't think we've ever talked before."

    Thomas shook his head and moved closer to her. "I've seen you around school though."

    She gave him a soft smile, pausing when Harriet whispered something in her ear. She laughed and squeezed her friend's arm, watching her disappear.

    "You're a senior right?" Sonya asked as she turned back to Thomas, leaning her back against the wall.

    "Yeah. Junior?"

    Sonya nodded before flicking her gaze to somewhere behind Thomas. "Do you know my brother? He's a senior too."

    Thomas scrunched his face in confusion. "I don't think so. I didn't know you had a brother."

    Sonya nodded happily. "He actually came here with me. He doesn't usually come to these things. If I can find him, I'll introduce you."

    "Okay." Thomas smiled. He went to turn back to Teresa, pausing when her found her to be gone.

    Sonya giggled behind him and pointed to the back door. "She went out there with Aris. You can stick with me if you want."

    Thomas smiled gratefully at the girl and leaned on the wall next to her.

    "You're not drinking?" Sonya motioned to his empty hand.

    He shook his head. "Designated driver. Gotta get the princess home in one piece."

    "You're funny Thomas...you talk about Teresa like she's your wife."

    Thomas' face scrunched in disgust. "Gross. Sister maybe but yeah no ew."

    "Awe come on, she's pretty."

    "She's gorgeous, but my type is just a little less girl and a lot more guy."

    Realization struck Sonya's face and her eyes widened. "Oh my god I'm so sorry, I didn't know." She snorted out a laugh. "I was about to start hitting on you too."

    Thomas smiled and ran his hand through his hair. "It's alright. I think you're very pretty if that helps."

    Sonya shook her head and lightly squeezed Thomas' arm, the soft smile remaining on her lips. "Well if you aren't creeped out, I think we can be friends Thomas."

    "Creeped out? No. Flattered? Yes." Thomas turned more to face her. He found himself actually wanting to keep talking to her. "I'm good with friends."

    Sonya grinned and flipped her hair behind her shoulder. "Let's go find Minho, he always makes these things fun."

    Thomas follows her blindly through the crowd of people, keeping a close eye on her blonde hair. Soon after, they reached a back room. It was open with two couches against the walls and a TV on a dark wood stand. There was a circle of kids on the floor. Thomas recognized Minho and a few others from the runner's friend group. There were a few girls who Thomas didn't know, but he followed Sonya and sat down anyways.

    "Hey there, I brought Thomas." Sonya said as he pulled Thomas next to her on the floor.

    Minho raised his eyebrows and looked at Thomas, making him uncomfortable. "I didn't know you two were friends."

    "We are now." Sonya smiled as she crossed her legs on the floor in front of her.

    Minho out his hands up in fake surrender. "Alright."

    "So what are you guys doin?" Sonya asked as she looked around the messy circle.

    Minho shrugged. "Just talking, we were gonna play a stupid game."

    "Have you seen Newt?"

    Minho's expression faltered slightly. "No, why?"

    "No reason, I just haven't seen him since we got here."

    "Is that your brother?" Thomas asked suddenly, wanting to join into their conversation instead of just sitting there awkwardly.

    "Yeah!" Sonya smiled at Thomas before turning back to Minho. "If you see him, tell him I'm looking for him, I wanted to introduce him and Thomas."

    Minho rolled his eyes. "Stop meddling in your brother's life, he's fine."

    "I ju-"

    "Minho! Truth or dare!" Nick yelled from across the circle, startling Thomas.

    Minho sighed and leaned back slightly, tossing the can he was holding into the garbage can. "Seriously Nick? This is the game you choose? Are we in middle school?"

    Nick held up his middle finger and stuck his tongue out. "Fuck you Minho. It's fun."

    Minho huffed out a laugh and shook his head. "Alright man. I'll go dare."

    Nick pursed his lips, thinking for a moment before smiling and grabbing a new can from the table and tossing it to his friend. "Shotgun."

    Minho rolled his eyes but caught it before pulling a pocket knife out of his pants. Minho stood up, his muscles flexing under his t-shirt which wasn't torture to watch. He stabbed the bottom of the can, cursing when some got on the floor before shoving his mouth over the hole and letting the alcohol spray down his throat.

    Thomas didn't know what to think. On the first hand he didn't want to play at all, he felt weird and wanted to find Teresa more than ever, but on the other hand the liquid running down Minho's chest and chin was kinda doin it for him and he didn't want to look away.

    Minho finished and crushed the can while dramatically taking a bow. Nick scoffed but he looked amused as Minho inspected his wet shirt. "You made me get my shirt wet asshole."

    Nick laughed, a smirk spreading over his face. "Take it off then, I'll send a picture to Benny-Boo."

    Minho's face lit up at the mention of Ben. He grabbed the hem of his shirt, yanking it over his head and tossing it on the floor. Nick pulled out his phone and aimed it at Minho as the shirtless boy tried to discreetly flex.

    Thomas felt too warm in his skin and his chest was tight. Minho was unfairly gorgeous, he couldn't deny that.

    Nick's flash went off and he snickered as Minho bounced over to him. "What are you saying."

    Nick shook his head and pushed Minho away. "I just said 'who's mans?'" Minho refused to leave so Nick kicked him. "Go sit down, I'll tell you if he opens it."

    Minho huffed but did what the smaller boy said. He paused for a moment before looking at Thomas and grinning almost evilly. "Greenie truth or dare?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

454K 15.8K 27
Thomas finds himself waking up inside a box and being welcomed by a cruel and cold guy named Newt. What is he hiding? Will Thomas ever learn? Will yo...
58.9K 2.1K 27
Newt has a snobby, rich family that never leaves him alone about his love life. It's not that he doesn't have one- oh he does. His family is just fu...
155K 5K 40
It's been almost a year since they got to the safe haven, but Thomas can't heal. He reads Newt's letter everyday, once in the morning and once in th...