Life of Wren

By PSMalcolm

It started with a Starbucks drink, and it ended in a viral meme. Nineteen-year-old Wren Robinson had it all... More

Coming Soon
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY - THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
EPILOGUE

FOURTEEN

298 19 7
By PSMalcolm

The next morning, I was finally released from my holding cell.

Boy, that's a statement I never thought I'd have to make.

I'd gotten off with a $500 fine— which I had to admit, felt like a bullet wound to my first pay check. I saw that bedframe I'd been dreaming of slowly slip out of mind, and I knew I wasn't going to be able to get one for a while now.

I'd been lucky though. I could have gotten my license suspended, or been given community service, but they let me off due to the fact that everyone there had been doing it, and my criminal record had been squeaky clean up until now.

Wesley had the curtesy to pick me up, even though it was dead early in the morning. I probably looked like death. I certainly felt like it— my eyes were heavy and sullen, my head was throbbing, and I just wanted to sleep for the next hundred years.

"Hey," I said bluntly, as I climbed into Wesley's car. He offered me a concerned look.

"We're so sorry that you got arrested," he said. "Thank you for taking the fall for us— and Asher said you got the evidence! Seriously, we owe you big time."

"Yeah, I think you do," I said, and for once, I wasn't going to be polite about it. I was putting my neck right out there for these guys, risking everything I had to my name these days. Their extended kindness could only balance it out so much.

"From now on, we'll be better about it," Wesley promised. "I already spoke to Jade. If she hadn't retaliated last night, none of this would have happened."

We drove in silence for a few moments, and I stifled a yawn. I felt my eyes drooping closed, and I couldn't wait to get home and into my bed. Sitting stiffly in a cold holding cell, on the verge of passing out, for four hours straight had not been my idea of a good time. Plus I hated that Lana got away. I hated it so much. And yet I still had to go crawling back to her on Monday and kiss her heels all week long.

Somewhere between the time it took to get from the police station to the mini mansion, I passed out, and to my surprise I didn't stir at all, like I usually would have. I must have been exhausted.

I woke up, late afternoon, in my own bed. I was still in my dress, but the covers had been pulled over me, and a glass of water had been left on the floor beside the mattress. Along with a note:

You plan on getting a bedframe? – Wesley

Annoyance surged through me, and I don't know what it was— the events of last night catching up to me, or $500 debt hanging over my shoulders that had destroyed my precious plans to get a bedframe, but I snapped. Launching upright, I marched down the hall to Wesley's room, and threw the door open.

"That's not funny!" I cried, and he startled from his chair, headphones clattering to the desk.

"Jeez, Wren, you scared the shit out of me!"

My hands curled around the doorhandle— so tight sweat began to pool beneath my fingers. He noticed my expression, and his anger diminished.

"What's... wrong?" he asked slowly, and pushed himself to his feet.

I realised he really had no clue.

Inhaling deeply, the red anger faded from my vision, as pure disappointment settled in. I shouldn't take it out on him. It's not like he knew that I'd been dreaming of getting a stupid bedframe all week.

My grip on the doorhandle slackened, and I turned away slightly.

"Forget it," I muttered, as heated embarrassment graced my cheeks. I headed back to my room, but before I could get there, footsteps echoed behind me and a hand curled around my wrist. I spun around, and met his concerned gaze.

"Tell me what happened," he insisted firmly. I sighed.

"I wanted to get a bedframe, but I got fined at the station," I said, my tone disheartened. "Your note... it set me off."

His eyebrows rose in understanding.

"I'm sorry... I meant it as a joke," he said, rubbing the back of his neck and avoiding my gaze. But then his eyes lightened up, and he added, "We should go get one right now."

"I can't—"

"—my shout," he insisted. I raised an eyebrow.

"You're going to buy me a bedframe?" I said, my voice laced with disbelief. He nodded, the left side of his mouth curling upward.

"Consider it a way of apologising for last night. Though we definitely owe you more than that. Still, it's a start," he said. I shook my head, about to protest, but he squeezed my hand. I hadn't even realised he'd still been holding onto me.

"Just say yes," he said, his voice soft. His gaze held mine, and I couldn't seem to shake it. My thoughts swirled uncertainly in my head, until finally, I gave in.

"Okay," I agreed, and he smiled.

"Let's go then. I'll grab my keys."

Forty minutes later we were at the furniture store browsing, and I was flicking through one of their catalogues. So far, I'd found two bedframes that I liked, but I was having a hard time tossing up between them. The one I liked better was more expensive, but it would be more courteous to pick the cheaper option. But then again, I really liked the first one, and I was going to be stuck with it for a while.

Possibly forever.

So I was tempted to get the more expensive one.

"What are you thinking?" Wesley asked, resting against the foot of one of the bedframes and eyeing me with folded arms. I hesitated.

Being bought up with nice things, and then descending into nothing hadn't been easy. In fact, it had been harder to quell my desire for nice things that I'd originally anticipated. But this wasn't my purchase, and it would be wrong to pick the more expensive bedframe, regardless of my heart's desire for it.

Material things don't matter, I told myself, and exhaled a deep breath, cleansing my body of the negative pull that was begging for me to indulge in the nicer bedframe. Maybe someday, but not today.

"I'll go with this one," I said, pointing to the cheaper one. It was okay— a sturdy enough frame, painted white with a slatted headboard. But compared to the wooden timber frame with the glossy finish and intricate engravings on the other page, it looked cheap and tacky.

"You sure?" Wesley asked, and my heart skipped a beat. My brain nearly blurted out what I really wanted, but my willpower silenced it.

Enough!

"I'm sure," I said, swallowing hard and locking in my final choice. My gaze lingered on the timber frame, and my heart slowly sank into despair as I mentally said goodbye to it.

Really, I should have been damn grateful to get a bedframe at all. Damn my privileged upbringing.

We headed to the front counter, and Wesley casually spread the catalogue out for the attendant to see.

"Hi, yes, we'll get this one," he said, pointing it out to her. I hovered at his side, not really paying attention, and let my gaze drift around the entire store.

"We can get that out to you tomorrow, if you like?" I overheard the attendant say, and Wesley nodded firmly.

"That would be great, thanks," he replied, and then turned to me.

"Thank you again for this," I said earnestly, smiling gratefully at him.

"No need to thank me," he replied. "Shall we go home?"

As we were walking out and back to the car, my phone rang, and when I pulled it out I frowned.

Daniel was calling me.

"Why on Earth...?" I muttered, shaking my head, and then looked up at a curious Wesley. "Sorry— I need to take this."

He waved his hand, gesturing for me to go ahead, and I answered as we both climbed into the car.

"Wren? Hey!" Daniel greeted on the other end, as I was buckling my seatbelt. I grimaced. Wesley pulled out onto the road.

"Daniel. Why are you calling me?"

"I just wanted to say hello," he breezed, but something was off about his tone. It sounded... forced.

"Is everything okay?" I asked slowly.

"Uh, yeah, everything's great. How's everything been with you?" he asked, and I sat there a little dumbfounded.

"Why are you asking?"

"What? I can't check in with you every now and then?" he asked— way too light-heartedly for Daniel.

Then, it finally dawned on me.

"...is my mom with you?"

A surprised, female laugh sounded.

"Gosh, what gave it away?" mom asked lightly, and I mentally groaned. Of course— another sneak tactic. No doubt they were trying to learn something they knew I wouldn't say to their face, and only tell Daniel. But what was it, I wonder?

"What's the deal, mom?"

"Oh, Daniel and I were just hanging out, and we thought it would be fun to call you!" she said lightly.

Right. Because moms totally hung out with their daughter's exs on the regular. That was completely normal.

"You know what? I'll just be honest," Daniel said suddenly. "Only because I'm pretty curious to know— why were you arrested last night?"

Ah.

So mom and dad got contacted, and they decided to use Daniel to weasel it out of me. Gee, thanks for the trust, guys.

Still, I guess up-and-moving to LA on a whim, and abandoning your degree, probably isn't the best way to build trust with people.

I was half tempted to tell them that as an official meme I had a reputation to uphold nowadays, and that's why I got arrested. But I didn't think that would go down too well, so instead I said,

"Oh, that? It was just a big misunderstanding—"

"— you're on the other side of the damn country underage drinking," a voiced boomed, and an icy chill went through my bones, as realisation hit me.

My dad was there too.

This was the first time we'd been in contact since I left.

"H-hi dad," I said, straightening the tremble from my voice. "Like I said, it wasn't like that. Well, not entirely—"

"I don't care what it was or how it happened," dad growled. "You are coming home right now, young lady. Enough of this nonsense! I'm booking you a plane ticket and I'm sending Daniel back to collect you, and you will board that plane or so help me God—"

"—Arthur," mum cut in, her voice sharp. She only ever used that tone when she was seriously angry. "Don't speak to her that way! She's a grown lady and she can make her own choices!"

"She's only 19, and she's already making bad choices!"

"Dad, it was a work party," I said firmly, a hint of ice in my tone. "I was there with my client. I'm working for a big marketing firm now. I have a steady, secure job, and stable accommodation in a decent part of town. But I'm not telling you where that is because you don't support me, so I don't trust you with that information."

"Wren—"

"—And," I snapped, raising my tone. "I will not be boarding that plane. If you dare send Daniel out to collect me, I will run, and I will keep going until you never find or hear from me again. Is that what you want? Do you want to lose contact with your daughter forever because you're too damn controlling?"

"Do you hear how she's talking to me?" dad growled, I assume at mom. "And you're telling me not to raise my voice?"

"Maybe you should listen to her, Arthur," mom replied, her voice eerie similar to my own. "It sounds like she's fine, and I'm sure it was a misunderstanding. I know you don't have trust in our daughter, but I have plenty."

From the driver's seat, Wesley sat very still, and I knew he could hear every word echoing out of the phone. He didn't dare make a sound.

"You wonder why I left," I snarled angrily. "Mom's fine, but you? You suffocate me, dad. I can't stand living with you, being in the same town as you! And maybe you're fine living a simple, dreary life, but I'd rather die before I ever live a life like yours."

There was silence on the other end, as the truth finally settled in the air for everyone to hear. I'd hinted at it plenty of times, but I'd never admitted it outright like that. Never laid it out for everyone to see, like pieces of my withered heart on a table, for the picking. For the first time in my life, I felt like I had a purpose. And even if things weren't perfect, I was closer every single day to the life I wanted to have. I was with the people I wanted to be with, in a place that made me happy and proud to be alive every day.

I'd go anywhere else before I ever went back home.

"Wren, we love you," mom said finally, her voice soft and sad. "I'm so sorry that you feel that way. I had no idea..."

Tears stung my eyes, but I blinked them away.

"I love you too, mom," I said. I didn't say anything about dad. I just couldn't right now. "Call me back again... when you've calmed down," I said, carefully choosing my words, though harsher ones definitely rose to the tip of my tongue before I swallowed them.

"We will. Take care, honey," mom said, and she finally hung up.

I let out a steady breath, not daring to meet Wesley's gaze. But I could feel his eyes on me, flicking back and forth from the road.

He didn't say anything. Instead, he pulled into the nearest Starbucks, and into the drive thru.

"What would you like?" he asked softly. I shook my head, not trusting myself to speak. But he waited, with patient eyes, so eventually I just said,

"Pick anything."

He made a face, but then turned back to the attendant.

"Can we get two Vanilla Bean Frappe's please? One with... uh... make it soy milk."

I froze, my gaze slowly drifting over to him. He turned back, and upon seeing my expression, his face fell.

"What? Is that a bad choice?" he asked, looking panicked. "I can change it—"

"No, it's... how did you know that?" I asked breathlessly. He raised an eyebrow.

"Know what? I just ordered two of my favourite."

I continued to stare at him in awe, and slowly he realised why I was so surprised.

"That's your favourite too," he said slowly. And then a smile crept onto his face. "Well, how about that?"

We received our orders at the window, then Wesley parked us in the corner of the parking lot, and turned to me.

"You don't have to talk about what just happened..." he began. "But if you need to... I'll listen."

I shook my head, and took a sip of my frappe. It was perfect as always.

"It's nothing— it always happens," I breezed, dodging the subject entirely. There was no need to involve any of the boys in my family drama.

"Forgive me if I'm offensive... but from my perspective, I think it's nice that your parents care enough to want you to come home," he said slowly, with an edge of caution to his voice. He gauged my reaction, and when I didn't snap at him, he continued. "I never knew my parents."

My eyes widened. I hadn't known that.

"You... you're... adopted?" I asked.

"Orphaned," he explained, and a flicker of pain crossed his eyes. "My parents died in a car crash when I was a baby. My grandmother raised me, out in West Covina, before I moved here permanently."

"Oh my God," I said quietly. "I am so sorry— I had no idea."

He nodded. "Thanks," he said, with a small smile. "They left me everything in their will, but I couldn't access the accounts until I turned eighteen. Everything accumulated interest... and by the time I graduated, I had enough money to invest in a decent house. So that's exactly what I did, and when I met Asher, I asked him to move in with me. He bought Jade, of course. Then we met Connor and Kurt... and then you."

My eyed widened.

"So, that house that we're living in..." I trailed off, as I put two and two together, and he nodded.

"Technically, my parents bought it for me, because they left me that money. And I have them to thank every day that it bought me together with the people I know now. I'm hesitant to let people in... because it's all I have left of my parents."

A warmth spread through my chest at his words. He held my gaze, and they were filled with seriousness, and suddenly I was able to understand why he'd been so standoffish at the start. Why I'd thought he disliked my presence— I was invading the only place where he could feel close to his parents. That house, which he'd bought with their money, was like a giant, stable hug around him.

"I want you to know that Wren. That no matter what happens with your parents, or with Lana, you will always have a place with us in that house."

I couldn't help what happened next. I guess I was just emotional from the phone call, and still majorly hungover, and moved by Wesley's story that I just burst into tears.

"Don't cry!" he said quickly, looking alarmed. "Hey, it's okay— don't cry, please."

"I'm sorry," I blurted out, through my mess of snot and salty waterworks. I grabbed my Starbucks napkin and wiped my face. "I just— I really needed to hear that."

I wasn't sure why, but I'd felt lonely and isolated for so long. Despite being surrounded by people, it was like they never really got me. But for the first time since coming to LA, I felt like someone had truly burrowed under my skin and reached a deeper part of me. And the fact that Wesley had seen a side of me no one else had yet... with my parents... and then chosen to reveal something so devastating in return... it had created a whole new level of trust and respect for him.

I wiped away the last of my tears and smiled to show him I was okay.

"Come on— let's go home before we get seen by some paparazzi who get the wrong idea and make our lives harder."

He chuckled to that, before swiftly reversing out of the park and taking us home. 

***

Sorry for the late update!! Life got HECKEZ! 

The next update will be on the 25th of April. :) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...