NINE

"So, you're saying that the company you're doing the job trial at actually orchestrated Jade's baby scandal?" he repeated.

"Uh huh," I replied, munching on the salad sandwich I'd bought. Mmm, it was so good. I hadn't realised how hungry I was.

I was sitting outside the deli, under the shade of a potted tree and listening to the cars passing by. I didn't care if I was a few minutes late back— especially since I wasn't 100% sure if I was going to take this job yet. If Kara asked, I'd just say I took a wrong turn.

"Wow," Connor said, sounding like he was at a loss for words.

"I don't know what to do," I admitted, leaning forward in my seat and placing my elbows on the table. "I need a job. But I don't want to betray you guys. Especially if they're going to make me work at destroying Jade's career for the sake of Lana's. That's just so wrong!"

"It is," Connor agreed. "But it's also business. Honestly, I'm not really surprised. It sucks, of course, but this kind of thing happens all the time. If Wesley and Jade were to come back and say that the baby isn't Nathan's, that could still make the whole thing backfire, so you might not have to worry about it. It might fall apart."

"But what if it doesn't?" I asked, gripping the phone tighter. "What if I have to do something worse?"

There was silence, followed by a huge gasp.

"I just had an idea!" he said quickly. "What if you did take this job, and worked as a secret spy for us?"

"What?" I asked, not following him at all.

"Like, you tell us what their next moves are, so we can keep counteracting them before they're orchestrated."

I sat in stunned silence.

"You do realise that's a great way to get me fired again?" I replied dully, unable to believe he was this stupid.

"That's only if you get caught," he said, a hint of mischief in his voice.

I snorted. "The press would love this," I added. "Wren from Starbucks screws over second company! If I wasn't a dishonest worker before, I sure will be after this."

"Don't worry— we won't let you get fired," he promised. "Whatever happens, it won't backfire on you again. But if you do this, it would be so helpful! Lana's been steady competition since we formed the group channel, and she's nothing but hostile to us. It would be really nice to have the upper hand for once. Not to mention that having someone with social marketing skill in the house will be super helpful."

My eyes widened.

"You say it like I am moving in."

"Wesley's approved it," he confirmed. "I was going to tell you later tonight."

I didn't know how to respond to that. And after sitting there for a moment, I realised I should be getting back soon in any case.

"Sorry— I've got to run," I said quickly. "I'll talk to you later."

"Hey wait!" he said quickly. "Do you want one of us to come pick you up later?"

I froze. I hadn't even thought of that. I didn't even know what time the bus would get here, so having someone pick me up would be really handy. But I couldn't rely on the boys to keep running me around, either. And I had no idea what was going to happen once I was finished with work— should I move in with them, or should I keep living at the apartment? I needed some time to think all these things over, to be completely honest.