Love in the Time of Trials

By Epicocity

Ancienverse Book Five. In the wake of the battle at Heahea City, Ash and the others continue their adventure... More

Chapter 1: A Hatching
Chapter 2: A Doubt
Chapter 3: An Avenue
Chapter 4: A Problem
Chapter 5: A Tension
Chapter 6: A Partner
Chapter 8: A Discovery
Chapter 9: A Shadow
Chapter 10: A Darkness
Chapter 11: A Motion
Chapter 12: A Paradise
Chapter 13: A Division
Chapter 14: A Pain
Chapter 15: An Understanding
Chapter 16: An Observatory
Chapter 17: A Thread
Chapter 18: An Insecurity
Chapter 19: A Scarcity
Chapter 20: A Stalking
Chapter 21: A Bloodlust
Chapter 22: A Performance
Chapter 23: A Smile
Chapter 24: A Breaking
Chapter 25: A Rescue
Chapter 26: A Secret
Chapter 27: A Demon
Chapter 28: A Cavalry
Chapter 29: A Month

Chapter 7: A Shuriken

257 10 0
By Epicocity

I can really only say one thing about a big part of this chapter: break out the XY&Z. Also, I have a new poll on my profile page that I'd love to see my readers vote on! In the meantime, however, Chapter 7 time!

Chapter 7

A Shuriken

"And the participants moving on to the Battle Portion of the Wela Leilani Ceremony are..." Maika said, drawing it out for the crowd, or at least those who could not see the screen. Serena could, though, and she just waited to hear the announcement to confirm it wasn't some sort of illusion. "Serena and Kiawe, along with Keoni and Ash!"

"We knew Kiawe would win," sighed a girl from the crowd dreamily.

"Sweet, a trial battle this evening!" cried another from the crowd, slightly piquing Serena's interest. She looked to Ash, who was grinning wildly, as usual whenever something great seemed to happen.

"We did it, Pikachu! We're moving on to the trial battle!" Ash said, grabbing Pikachu as he spun around with him in almost childlike glee. Keoni was obviously rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, with my help," he scoffed loudly. Ash stopped, letting Pikachu settle onto his shoulder. He instantly held a hand out to the boy that had been his partner. Keoni stared at it, like he didn't expect to see it.

"Thanks. You're right, I couldn't have done it without your help." It was a show of humility that made Serena smile; really, it all helped her to remember just how much she loved him. Keoni scoffed again, flipping his hair once more before he took the hand. There was still disdain in his expression, but at the very least he could accept Ash's hand.

Now, their own battle was next.

Serena swallowed, and she took a step towards the stage. Heahea City kept replaying in her mind, like little flashes that she couldn't control, the questions that had appeared there swirling around. And Zinnia's words. They simply wouldn't stop playing in her head, locking her down in chains, causing her hand to almost imperceptibly shake. Could she really defeat Keoni? More than that, was there any way to put a smile on everyone's face, when doing so would take the smile from her own...?

Stop it, Serena, she admonished herself. Now was not the time for self-doubt. "Never give up until the very end". That had been their motto, the one thing that drove them forward. She knew that Ash believed in it, too, so now wasn't the time for faltering. Now was the time for battling, and she was going to do the very best she could to secure her second Lei.

"It's time for the finale, that last movement of the Wela Ceremony," Maika was commentating to the crowd, having cleared the stage. The other fellow contestants, including Ash and Kiawe, had also cleared away to parts unknown as Serena focused. On the screen above, all of the pictures had cleared, replaced, as usual, with her and Keoni's portraits along with the seven translucent flowers. "Who will walk away with the coveted Lei? Serena? Or Keoni? Only this battle will tell!

"For those of you who don't yet know, or perhaps have forgotten, the rules of the Battle Portion are simple: make your moves beautiful. A beautiful move in the eyes of the judges will earn you a flower, but one that is, perhaps, not so beautiful will lose you a flower. The first of our battlers to reach seven flowers takes the battle. Each trainer is allowed the use of only one Pokémon. Now, good luck!"

"So, we finally meet on the battlefield, my dear," Keoni said, making Serena realize that the boy was, indeed, before her. She smiled softly, nodding, as she fully realized that Ash and Kiawe had actually left for the edge of the enclosure to watch, now that they were no longer participating. "We weren't able to in Pua Town, though I wonder if you'll be able to keep up with me. By now, I'd start to fear Ash's poor coordination skills would have started to take an effect on you."

Ignoring the boy's callous slight towards her boyfriend, Serena gripped at her pokeball and threw it high. "Brionne, it's time to shine!"

"Brrrrrio!" Brionne called out, emerging from the bright light with a little flip in midair before landing on the flat surface of the stage. Across the field, Keoni appeared to be chuckling as he lazily called forth his Vulpix. Like always, she was yawning, barely paying any mind to her opponent.

"Battle...begin!" Maika called enthusiastically, hearing the loud sound ringing across the arena they were in. Keoni moved first, lazily, but swiftly, raising a hand.

"Powder Snow!" he said, wearing his perennial smirk. Vulpix launched forward, flying onto all fours as she opened her mouth. Crystals of ice blasted forth, glittering in the sunlight that surrounded the fiery volcano.

"Use Bubblebeam," Serena called, throwing her hand out and causing the beads on her head to jiggle. Brionne didn't move from her position, but she did rear back before sending the powerful and clear bubbles out in a wide, hanging stream. The Powder Snow didn't reach Brionne in any way, but it did intermingle with the bubbles. They slowly turned less clear, freezing in place like little blue baubles. A ding was heard, but Serena was surprised to see that it had been Keoni who had earned the point.

Of course...this isn't a regular battle. It was his attack that made it all look beautiful, Serena thought to herself, gripping a little at her dress. They weren't out of this; not yet. "Use Aqua Jet to knock the bubbles into Vulpix!"

"Rio!" Brionne shouted. Her body became cloaked in rushing water and she shot off towards the bubbles. With all of the incredible speed that she had thought of, Brionne knocked into the bubbles, leaving behind a trail of ice crystals. The air looked frozen in so many different directions, not the least of which were the frozen orbs that impacted with Vulpix, shattering into reflective ice chunks. Another ding, but Serena didn't look to see who'd earned the point.

"Aurora Beam," Keoni said, starting to sound a little bored, or perhaps it was just cocky. Brionne was still in the air, her Aqua Jet fading away a little. Serena and she acted instantly.

"Use Disarming Voice," was the calm order she gave. As Vulpix began to fire out the rainbow-colored beam right for Brionne, she twirled in midair, her vanishing water gleaming and glittering from the sun. As soon as she was facing Vulpix she gave off a cry.

"Briooooo!" The sound echoed around the stage, the pink hearts flying right for the Aurora Beam. They impacted, and Brionne proved to be the more powerful of the two. The pink hearts began to suddenly take on the rainbow hue of the Aurora Beam before they hit Vulpix, driving her back.

"What a move from Serena!" Maika's voice called, but Serena didn't want to let herself get distracted. "With that dazzling display, Keoni has lost his point while the judges have deemed for Serena to gain one!"

"Let's use Aqua Jet again and spin," Serena called. She had an idea for how to make her next attack beautiful. Brionne barely even touched the ground before the water was surrounding her once more, shooting off for Vulpix as she spun. The various rivulets were flying all about the place, splashing on to the ground and in the air.

"Powder Snow," Keoni said. The boy, like usual, wasn't looking happy. Serena's hand clenched tighter. Vulpix howled and sent the ice crystals out, this time more concentrated than before, as they focused straight in on Brionne. Her water began to freeze, stopping her movements and encasing her in the tomb of ice. "Now, Moonblast!"

"Vuuuuuul...pix!" Vulpix's body glowed with bright yellow light, a small amount of sunlight dancing on the light streams of water falling around her. A ding indicated that Keoni had managed to earn back the point that he had lost. Blue streaks were now joining the yellow glow, highlighting Vulpix's shining fur in the sun. A pink, pearlescent orb appeared near her mouth and she fired. The attack slammed into Brionne, shattering the ice. The pink glow thrummed in the air, tinging the broken ice with its coloring. Brionne cried out, falling towards the ground.

Keoni wasn't done yet.

"Now, Powder Snow on the ground. Let's reduce some mobility," he said with a wink in Serena's direction. She felt it was rather insulting, but chose to not think about it, not wanting to distract herself. The boy had just earned three points, putting him squarely ahead of Serena.

"Let's close that gap..." she mumbled to herself, letting her fist unclench just a little. Vulpix's icy crystals spread out along the ground, making it slick, just as it had been during the mountain road yesterday. Brionne landed upon it, skittering across the surface. "Use your momentum to spin, Brionne!"

"Bree," Brionne nodded out. Her tail slapped against the ground, causing her to start spinning rapidly. Serena's eyes flitted around the stage, trying to think up quick reactions to get back their lost points.

"Use Bubblebeam," she said calmly, hoping for that same calmness to transfer to her Pop Star Pokémon. A smile blossomed back onto her face and Brionne continued spinning, now with the bubbles, bright and blue, flying out around her. "Use Aqua Jet to create a whirlwind!"

"Aurora Beam on the ice," Keoni commanded. It felt, for just that second, that neither was actually trying to attack the other. The rainbow-colored Aurora Beam struck the surface of the ice, sending the rainbow sheen up its surface. Brionne didn't stop, continuing her whirlwind by traveling rapidly in circles with her Aqua Jet, sending them into a cyclone of bubbles that were slowly turning to that same rainbow color.

"Now, use Disarming Voice!" Serena cried, throwing her hand forward, dipping it low for a second. Brionne spun out and Serena chanced a look at the board. She was trailing just behind Keoni at four points to his five. Brionne spun out, the bubbles popping from the revolutions ceasing and they joined with the rainbow. She leaned back and cried out, sending the heart shaped soundwaves in an arch, making a rainbow on the field that was beautiful, and heart-shaped when looked at a different angle.

Ding! Ding!

It was close now, Serena could feel it. She was a singular point away, and couldn't afford to slip up, especially if the judges were deeming a move that pulled off multiple effects as being worth two flowers. Keoni began to chuckle a little on the other side.

"Yes, you've proven yourself," Keoni admitted with another flick of his hair. "I have to admit, since we didn't get to battle, I was wondering if you'd be able to stand on the same stage as me, but now it all confirms it. Your beauty, your grace, your-"

"Aqua Jet!" Serena called, cutting off the boy's pointless rambling. Brionne shot right for Vulpix once again. Keoni shook his head, snapping his fingers as if to order another move. Whatever it was, Vulpix understood it, cloaking herself in the snow of her Powder Snow attack before the move blasted out. Serena flinched, especially when she heard the ding that tied her with Keoni. "Head right for her, even frozen!"

"What is Serena attempting?" Maika called in some sense of surprise. Serena didn't let her smile vanish, but she most certainly focused in on what Brionne was doing. Months of training and practicing with Ash had shown her his plethora of strategies, and this was one that she hoped to utilize. "With a single point hanging in the balance for the both of them, will Serena's move finish the match?"

"Hmm...you're the perfect partner, Serena," Keoni sighed as Brionne managed to angle herself with the ice. "But you're still held back. Moonblast!"

"Vul," Vulpix said, once more back to her lazy stance. She clearly no longer considered Brionne a threat, her body brimming with the blue and yellow energy. Serena hoped that Brionne would make it in time, hurtling towards their opponent with increased speed. Vulpix fired, and the two attacks clashed in midair.

"Neeeeeee!" cried Brionne and Serena's face fell. Her beloved Pokémon was sent flying back across the stage, looking exhausted as pink water flowed down from the sky, all of the ice breaking apart. The battle was over, especially when the dinging was finally heard.

"It's over! The winner of the Wela Ceremony is...Keoni!" Serena didn't want to look the boy in the face, her gaze falling the second his victory was announced. Twice she had lost to him, and though she'd gotten close this time, she still didn't measure up. Ignoring Maika's noting of Keoni being the winner, Serena approached Brionne.

"Thank you for everything, Brionne...you were excellent." Brionne looked up sadly, looking rather bruised from the battle. Serena smiled at her, taking her into a hug and squeezing her as she stepped off of the stage so Keoni could receive his Lei. Her smile felt strained, almost sour, but she held it up.

"Serena..." Ash said, stepping away from the wall of the enclosure, but she ignored him, her head hanging low. Behind her, cheers rose up at Keoni's victory, and Serena felt her hands shaking.

"Brio?" Brionne asked, looking up at her. Serena's teeth bit into her lips, but she tried to hold her smile as she petted Brionne's head. Like usual, the dressing room was empty and she made to change, quicker than usual. It felt like she was on autopilot, not even realizing what she was doing, so lost in her head.

Twice now. Twice in a row she had failed.

"It hurts," she whispered, not even realizing that she was in the empty Pokémon Center, or that her feet had taken her there. Yet, when it came down to it, she didn't even know what it was that was hurting. Was it that she had lost? Was it that she had failed? Or was it that she felt she was running after something impossible?

A Kalos Queen must always smile.

She knew that...She knew that! Yet why, the more that she smiled, it seemed that others were less likely to. Or that the more they did, the more she wasn't, like she was taking on their burdens. No...I have to keep smiling. No matter how many burdens there are. I promised...

Yet the promise felt so empty...so...unfulfilling. At this point, she felt like she was just going through the motions, especially when she handed Brionne over to Nurse Joy. It no longer felt like she was inching closer.

"Serena." Ash's sudden call and hand on her shoulder made her jerk, realizing how long she'd been staring into space. Turning, she noticed that the others were all there. Sandshrew leapt from Clemont's arms into hers and she giggled a bit, forcing it out as she nuzzled the cool surface of her baby Pokémon. "Tough break."

"Yeah..." she said. Part of her wanted to ignore it, but she knew that doing so would only force it all to bubble up inside of her. "I really thought I could win."

"You were so close..." Bonnie expressed. She looked the most upset out of them all, no doubt because it had been Keoni who was her opponent. "I really wanted you to beat that jerk."

"Maybe another time," she laughed out, hoping to soothe the mood. Clemont and Ash continued to look at her in concern, as though they could tell she was forcing her smile. "I-I'm sure I'll win at the next one, right? There's bound to be one soon..."

"I'm definitely sure you can make it," Lillie agreed. Nebby appeared to, as well. Serena nodded, her mind flitting back briefly to a flyer she'd seen in Heahea about the Hano Ceremony. "Why don't we make some food, Bonnie?"

"Sounds good to me. Come on, Rotom," Bonnie acquiesced, spinning on her feet for the two blondes to head to the Center's kitchen, Rotom dragged along behind them with protests. Serena gripped at Sandshrew a little tighter.

"Serena, it's okay to feel upset," Clemont spoke up once the others were gone and out of earshot.

"I'm-"

"Serena," Ash said, his voice sharper than before. She turned to him, just as he wrapped his arms around her. Sandshrew called out, clearly surprised, but wasn't too disturbed. "You don't have to lie to us..."

"Oh," she squeaked out. Tears pricked at her eyes, but she held them in, merely snuggling her face into Ash's chest. She wanted to cry, but knew she couldn't in this case. It would only hurt everyone. "I...I'm...I'm just worried I'm not good enough."

"I understand that," Clemont said, sighing out. Serena breathed in and out, feeling bad that she had just lied about what was really gnawing at her, even if it was part of the problem. Ash gripped her tighter, like he knew she was, but she wasn't quite ready to share. It was just a momentary rut, one that she'd get out of. "But, you're a very skilled Performer. You shouldn't forget that."

"Clemont's right," Ash said, now drawing back to smile at her. "No matter what Keoni says. I know you have what it takes to do whatever you set your mind to. Remember, don't give up until the very end!"

"R-right!" Serena said, nodding her head. The smile started coming back to her face, and she looked down at Sandshrew, the little one waggling excitedly. "That's all we have to do. Though, first is your trial battle tonight."

"Oh, yeah! Pikachu and I are so psyched! Right, buddy?"

"Pika!"

"It's bound to be exciting," Clemont confirmed. "Do you have your team figured out?"

"Sure do. Kiawe's busy getting ready, but I think that me and the gang are gonna relax," Ash told them. "No sense in getting all worked up over it."

"If that's the case, why don't we all go on a tour of the area together?" Serena suggested simply. The boys looked at each other, both of them deciding that they rather liked the idea. Smiling at that, Serena returned Sandshrew and hooked her arms with both of theirs while she grinned. At that moment, Nurse Joy wheeled Brionne out, herself looking as fit as ever as she hopped up towards Serena before also being returned. The Performer laughed and, shortly after, she wheeled all of them out of the Pokémon Center.

It felt nice, like a moment to forget, standing there with her two favorite boys in the world. Their words of encouragement meant everything to her as she pulled them in. Soon, it wasn't just their own presence helping her, but the sights and sounds of Wela Volcano, itself. It was a barren place, Serena observed, but no less replete with life. Other people, spectators, were around the area, pointing to the smoke wafting from the top of the volcano or to the small row of houses where people were lodging. Ash and Pikachu got extremely excited near the Charizard's resting area.

"Must remind you of your own," Serena stated with a giggle.

"Yeah, but these guys could probably beat Charizard in a flying race any day. In a battle, though..." Ash stated, giving a modest little shrug.

"I think it's all fascinating," Clemont agreed, though Serena wasn't sure what he could exactly be in agreement with. "I think we should get our hands on one of those pagers to study it. Maybe a Pokémon riding system could be just what Kalos needs."

"If anyone can do it, you can Clemont," Serena assured him. After some more time spent there, they continued on, taking in the remainder of the sights before returning to the Pokémon Center. The first thing they saw was the, as usual, dismissive Keoni. He happened to mostly ignore her for once, polishing the shiny Lei in his hand as he sat. Any upset feelings Serena may have had, though, were pushed aside at Bonnie and Lillie's cooking.

"Well...it looks good..." Ash noted with a laugh. Lillie had more than proven herself in the kitchen, but Serena was pretty sure Bonnie had the cooking skills of Ash and Hau.

"Rotom nearly died...thrice!" Rotom cried out, flying into Ash's chest before floating up and hiding behind his head. "Bonnie is a menace! A menace!"

"I'm sure it's not that bad..." Ash stated. Indeed, for him, it wasn't. Then again, Serena realized that her boyfriend was an endless vacuum that could eat just about anything, even if his lips were puckering up. The main courses were good enough, but Serena found herself having to make the same expression as Ash at Bonnie's food. She didn't say it out loud, but she reminded herself that she should never let Ash or Bonnie in the kitchen together unsupervised.

Finally, as their hearty meal (one that was two meals' worth of food) finished, they heard the sound of loud tribal drums thrumming out. The people in the Pokémon Center all grew excited, and Serena realized just how big a deal this trial battle was. She found herself getting excited, as well, though not as much as Ash, who stood and grinned.

"It's time!" he said. Pikachu nodded.

"We'll cheer for you every step of the way," Serena said, standing with the others. Ash nodded, holding out his hand. They joined in, throwing them to the air and clasping them in a fist. With that, Ash ran off, presumably to make his way to the waiting room. "We should get going, too."

"Yes," Clemont agreed, hitching his backpack and leading them forward. Outside, the night sky was in full effect, the stars shining down. Serena had hardly realized this to be the case as they'd eaten, glad she could suddenly pass the time with friends. Perhaps, though, it hadn't seemed that way from the torches and braziers leading the way to the enclosure, brightening the area immensely.

"Well, I guess you're sticking with him anyway," Keoni's simpering tone called. Serena could see him approaching well before he attempted to sidle up next to her. Bonnie put a stop to that by intercepting his placement. "He held you back from winning, you know...he did so for me."

"Please stop talking," Lillie asked politely, surprising the dark-skinned boy. "Ash is going to have a very difficult battle ahead, and it's not nice to talk that way."

"We'll keep on supporting him, too," Serena assured the callous boy. Keoni shrugged, both acknowledging and dismissing her, like he didn't quite believe in the words they were saying. He confirmed it moments later with his little chuckle.

"If he wins..."

Serena ignored that. There was no doubt that he would win. No doubt at all. Seating herself with her friends (and distanced from Keoni), she sat at the edge of her seat once they had arrived in the stands surrounding the enclosure, ready to watch the battle that Ash had likely been building up to since he'd met the captain in Paniola Town. Her hands grabbed at her skirt, and she likewise found Clemont trembling with excitement.

"Rotom wishes Rotom could have a record function! This is sure to be a big, exciting battle!" Rotom cried out. It clearly wanted to move closer to the battlefield, but if there was one thing Serena knew about Ash, it was that closer wasn't the safest place to be. Murmuring filled the enclosure, lit by the flames, until a spotlight shined down, revealing Maika. Serena was surprised that she appeared to be the one officiating the battle, even if it made sense.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" her voice cried, making everyone titter with excitement. "It's time! The battle you've all been waiting for! THE TRIAL BATTLE!"

"Yeaaaaaah!"

"And we've got two heavyweight trainers up today. Let's introduce our challenger, Ash!" From one of the exits, approaching the stage, was Ash, striding forward confidently with Pikachu. Serena clapped her hands together as many others cheered loudly. "And on the other side, our captain, the fiery dancer, KIAWE!"

"Kiawe!" the brigade of fangirls cried out. The dark-skinned boy walked out from the opposite side, meeting Ash in the center as the two clasped each other's hands tightly.

"That's right folks, we're in for a blazing three-on-three battle between challenger and captain, with the battle ending when all of one side's Pokémon are down, including the famed Totem Pokémon of Wela Volcano! Further, only the challenger will be allowed substitutions!"

"Let our dance consume our souls, Ash!" Kiawe roared out, much to the approval of the crowd. Serena kept her eyes on Ash as he nodded before bowing. Kiawe clearly did as well, offering their battle for the trial to Tapu Lele, no doubt. Serena found her own head bowing as she waited, and the whole arena went silent for those few moments. When it had ended, the two boys had fire stirring in their souls. "Magmar, let us dance!"

"Rockruff, I choose you!" Ash threw his pokeball with great energy, Rockruff emerging with a small yipping. Her eyes were sparked with determination and a rambunctious attitude at the Spitfire Pokémon looming before her, flames whipping wildly in the slight breeze.

"A Rockruff? Really?" Keoni asked snidely a few seats down. Clemont sighed at his rather unneeded comment while Serena saw the one who would be the actual referee, the trial guide and judge from earlier, walk to the side of the field, his hand raised. "He stands no chance with that."

"You'd be surprised, meanie," Bonnie said, sticking her tongue out at him. The referee lowered his hand and a loud tribal drum boomed out. Serena's hands clasped together.

"Rockruff, let's start this off with Bite!" Rockruff barked and started racing across the field, her jaws gleaming brightly as she aimed for Magmar.

"Magmar, Smokescreen!" Kiawe said. He may have yelled the command, but that moment had him as nothing but a stoic individual. Magmar reared back and then belched out thick smoke from his lips which obscured it and the battlefield. Rockruff dove into the smoke cloud, but from no sound of collision, it was clear that she had missed. "Now, Cross Chop."

"Maaaar," Magmar grunted. Serena could see the dual glowing arms come slamming down onto Rockruff. She howled, driven out of the smoke cloud as she shook her head. Around them, the crowd cheered at Kiawe's decisive hit. Serena kept her mouth shut, much more focused on cheering for Ash internally.

"You okay, Rockruff?" Ash asked of his partner. She yipped, prancing up and down on her feet lightly. Ash was grinning as Pikachu sat at his feet, cheering Rockruff on wildly. "Great, then use Stone Edge, straight into the smoke!"

"Rock!" Rockruff barked. She reared back and slammed onto the ground with her front paws, leaning down low. The stones on her neck shined and she howled. Jutting stones raced out from her body in a line for Magmar.

"Lava Plume!" Kiawe said, moving his body much like a dancer's. Magmar moved with it, plunging a fiery fist into the ground. Large red circles seemed to pool beneath the stones from what Serena could see inside of the smoke. Then they blasted upward in a fiery inferno. The stones were consumed, exploding outward with nary a contact to Magmar. Serena looked to Ash, knowing full well that he wasn't going to let that attack go un-countered like that.

He was grinning. Serena smiled; it was more than just him getting into the battle. Blue sparks were around Rockruff's body showing that Ash had given a command in the loudness of the explosion to cover up his intentions. Rockruff blitzed into the now clearing smoke, looking especially fierce.

"Keep on the move, and use Rock Throw, but break it up!" Ash called, clenching a fist in front of himself.

"Ruff!" Rockruff barked as she sped around the battlefield. Her stones were glowing again, firing out and becoming the large rock Serena was used to seeing, until it split apart into little jagged stones, all of them surrounding Magmar. The Spitfire Pokémon was turning back and forth, as if trying to get a bead on its opponent, but she was too fast.

"See? Ash's Rockruff is better than you thought," Bonnie said defiantly. Keoni didn't say anything, leaning forward with an expression of boredom. The smoke was finally clearing and the stones flashed inward, diving and driving for Magmar's exposed body, now visible to the entire crowd.

"Counter it with Thunder Punch!" Kiawe roared. He was still stoic, still in concert with his Pokémon as Magmar's fist sparked. The stones flew inward and Magmar punched around with both fists rapidly, breaking the stones to pieces. It wasn't as successful as the captain had hoped, in more ways than one. Serena's lips twitched. Fragments of the broken stones cut across Magmar's figure, while those that it had missed embedded into the Fire type.

"Now, use Bite!" Ash called, pointing forward. Rockruff skidded to a stop before leaping forward and colliding with Magmar, sinking her teeth into its flaming skin. Clemont gripped at his knees, as if worried.

"Lava Plume, get it off," Kiawe said, though the veneer of stoicism happened to break a moment. The lightning faded away and Magmar punched into the ground again. Flames exploded around the two Pokémon, consuming them both for a damaging attack.

"What a risky move..." Clemont commented. "That requires some real trust between trainer and Pokémon, to engulf them both like that..."

"Rotom is surprised that Rockruff is not burned from Flame Body," the Pokédex commented. Serena wasn't sure what to think either way. Rockruff had slid away from her opponent, and though she wasn't burned, she seemed to have sustained some heavy damage. Not that Magmar looked much better, which Kiawe noticed as he ordered a Smokescreen that once more consumed the battlefield.

"Not again," Lillie said, her hands held up to her chest in worry. Serena almost wanted to laugh, finding Lillie's fretting over the state of Ash's battle to be rather adorable. From the girl who couldn't stand fighting, to one who was now actively cheering Ash on.

"Sniff it out, Rockruff!" Ash cried. Rockruff, remaining out of reach at the edge of the smoke, lowered her head to begin sniffing. It was obvious that they were trying to locate their opponent. After a few seconds, she barked, but didn't indicate where the opponent was. "Surround them with Stone Edge!"

"Rockruff!" Rockruff barked, growling just a little bit on the end. She hunkered down with her stones glowing and more stones blasted from the ground. Instead of a straight line this time, they went out in an arch. Serena raised her eyebrows; clearly she wasn't the only one learning from those she traveled with. That attack was one Serena had used in so many major battles to surround her opponents. It certainly worked. Even with the smokescreen obscuring the field, Kiawe's Magmar was surrounded.

"Break free with Cross Chop!"

"Magmar!" it grunted, arms once more visible as they glowed and chopped through the surrounding stones, breaking them to pieces before it could be hurt. Ash and Rockruff were on the move, though, the little puppy now atop one of the stones.

"Rock Throw!" Ash called, punching into the air with his giddy little grin accented in the firelight. Rockruff's stones flew out, this time keeping itself as a large stone before slamming right down onto Magmar's head. "Now, finish it with Stone Edge!"

"Ruff!" Rockruff cried, leaping off the stone she was on to land nimbly on the ground, right in front of Magmar. The Spitfire Pokémon was still recovering as the ground beneath it glowed. Then the stone shot up, impaling its stomach and flinging it into the air. It tumbled around, and then landed on the remaining stones, each of them breaking into powder.

"Magmar is unable to battle! Rockruff is the winner!" the trial guide called out, flinging a hand over to Ash.

"Hey, that's no fair!"

"Kiawe was supposed to win that one..."

"They certainly have no problem being biased," Clemont chuckled out, looking around at the girls that seemed to be unhappy about Ash taking the first victory of the match. Rockruff had run back over to Ash, licking his face happily while he laughed.

"Who cares?" Bonnie said, standing up and raising her fist to the air. "Go, Ash and Rockruff! Go, go, go!"

"Well, that was an unexpected result for the captain, now one Pokémon down. Will he be able to recover?" Maika called, making the crowd of Kiawe's fans even more incensed. Kiawe was smiling softly, no longer the non-reacting, stoic captain. He returned Magmar while Ash recalled Rockruff.

"Guess he thinks it can't cut it," Keoni waved off dismissively. Serena frowned at his flippant statement, but figured that Ash must have had a strategy for calling Rockruff back from the battle.

"Marowak, it's time!" Serena's eyebrows now flew into her hair. Marowak was undoubtedly the strongest of Kiawe's personal Pokémon, one that had managed to keep up some level of strength and speed with Greninja, if Clemont's words were to be trusted (and they usually were). It made her wonder just what the Totem Pokémon was like, but she wondered if Ash would be using Greninja to overcome this particular foe.

"Passimian, I choose you!" Ash cried, sending the Fighting Pokémon to the field.

"Whaaaaat? !" Rotom cried out, clearly confused by the choice. "Why would Ash choose Passimian against a Ghost and Fire type? It makes no sense..."

"It's certainly a bold move for Ash," Clemont noted. Bonnie appeared to pout at the choice, sitting herself back down as the lemur looked to his trainer.

"This is our first big battle together, Passimian. Let's make it a great one!" Passimian stamped on the ground, indicating his own enthusiasm before facing his own opponent, the bone in Marowak's hands already alight. "All right, Kiawe, let's keep going!"

"For sure," Kiawe said, pounding his fists together with excitement. Now that the initial phase of the battle was over, it was clear that he was letting himself enjoy the battle with Ash. That made Serena happy to see, though she still breathed deeply to calm her nerves, even knowing this would be nothing compared to Ash's eventual battle with Olivia...at least, she supposed it would be, if Kiawe's strength was any indication. "Marowak, use Shadow Bone!"

"Careful, Passimian," Ash said sternly, "Marowak's a Ghost type, so not all our moves will work. Only you can pull this off."

"Maroh!" Marowak suddenly cried, bringing its shadow-rimmed club slamming onto Passimian's head. Ash hadn't called for a dodge, and Serena genuinely wondered just what Ash could be up to. Marowak appeared to vanish before beating Passimian upside the head on a different side. The lemur took it, not even budging as the Ghost type reappeared right in front of him.

"Now, Brick Break!"

"What an idiot," Keoni cajoled. Serena's eyes narrowed, truly confounded on just what Ash was up to. Pikachu was cheering for him, fists flying into the air, but around them were either jeers or confused murmurs of what exactly Ash was attempting to pull off. He knew about his disadvantage, so why...?

"Passi!" Passimian cried, slamming his glowing fist onto the ground. Chunks of the stage flew upward, but they avoided Marowak's body, though the dust flew into the air. Serena watched Ash and saw him closely observing what had happened as some of the dust settled onto Marowak's skull. Unfortunately, it also left him open.

"Will-o-Wisp!" Kiawe said. Marowak pulled its bone back, the ends alighting with the greenish-blue flame. Those same flames spread outward like mini-ghostly figures before converging on Passimian in seconds. The Teamwork Pokémon was suddenly alit with flames wracking his body. Neither Ash nor Passimian looked worried however...like they knew they could power through quickly.

"What are you up to, Ash...?" Serena said, nails digging into her skin as she tried to figure it out.

"Let's make it quick. Passimian, use Double Team!" Passimian leaned down a bit and multiple copies of him appeared around the arena. "Now, use Shadow Ball!"

"Pass-pass-passimian!" he chattered out. All of his doubles threw their arms back, their berries brimming with shadow. It made some sense to Serena now, given the effective move that Ash's Pokémon had, but Serena still couldn't see how they would make it work with burn status in effect. All of the Passimian flung the Shadow Ball forward powerfully.

"Block them!" Kiawe cried. Marowak began to practically dance, twirling its bone around like it had during the performance, only faster. The twirling beat away some of the Shadow Balls, knocking them into the copies. Then Serena saw Passimian's eyes suddenly gleam, and two of the Shadow Balls soared right for Marowak's blind spot. The Bone Keeper Pokémon stumbled from the blow that struck it, as flames surrounded Passimian's body momentarily. "Now, Bone Club!"

"Wak!" Marowak grunted, sounding otherworldly. Now with a lock on Passimian, it swung its club down at it.

"Block it with your berry!" Ash cried, sweeping his hand outward. Passimian's body moved quickly, more quickly that Serena had expected under the burn. The bone struck the raised berry as the colliding sound resounded through the arena. The crowd suddenly gasped.

"Into Flame Wheel," Kiawe said, folding his arms across his bare chest with a smirk. Marowak appeared to grin, and just like during its usage of Shadow Bone, it vanished, the bone traveling with it. Passimian lowered his berry as Marowak appeared behind him, the bone spinning with the ethereal flames to slam into Passimian's back. More flames shot up from Passimian's body, and Serena had to wonder just how much more punishment the monkey could take. Either way, Ash clearly believed in him, and it was obvious that he had figured something else out.

"Passimian, get moving and use Double Team," he called. Passimian nodded, beginning to pound across the stone arena as his doubles appeared all over the place.

"Of course..." Clemont said, tapping his chin. Serena chanced a look at him as Marowak continued to look around, attempting to locate the real one. "Ash knew that Marowak was on the level of a Kahuna's Pokémon, but he's obviously saving either Greninja or Pikachu for the Totem. Passimian might be a new member to Ash's team, but his stamina is immense, and the precision that he can carry Ash's commands with..."

"Brick Break on the ground, all at once!" Ash yelled with a grin. The intensity of the crowd seemed to increase a little, especially because Kiawe wasn't just standing idly by.

"Flame Wheel! Get rid of those copies!" Kiawe shouted. Marowak flung its bone back, the object blazing brightly. Then it tossed it as Passimian made its move. The open palm attack struck the ground and dust billowed upward in a cloud. Clearly the copies had disappeared, just as Marowak had, zipping towards its bone for another attempted attack. Dust scattered around Marowak, clinging to its figure. "Now, Shadow Bone!"

"Use Double Team in a line," Ash said, grinning. Passimian jumped back, just for a little bit of distance, watching Marowak as the line of copies preceded him. Despite his opponent phasing in and out with its Shadow Bone to swipe the copies away, Passimian was able to keep an even mark, grinning just as Ash was grinning.

"The dust was used to track it..."

"Maro...!" Marowak cried, swinging the shadow-wreathed bone down onto the real Passimian's head. Passimian buckled a bit, but it was just the chance that Ash had been looking for.

"Shadow Ball!"

"Passimian!" Passimian cried, his berry jabbing forward. It slammed into Marowak with extreme force, and despite the lack of earlier connected attacks, Passimian's Shadow Ball hit its mark, flinging the Bone Keeper up into the air.

"What strength and power!" Maika yelled out. Marowak flipped through the air, and then landed with a rather sickening thud upon the ground. Passimian watched it a moment and then the flames erupted upon his body, and he dropped, passed out right alongside Marowak.

"Passimian and Marowak are unable to battle!" the referee called. The crowd roared to life. There was still the outcry for Ash having the lead, but most were cheering for an excellent strategy-based battle. Serena allowed herself to sit back a little as Kiawe recalled Marowak with a content smile.

"Unbelievable! Despite the overwhelming disadvantage, Passimian takes the win for Ash, leaving him with just one Pokémon remaining to fight against for his trial!" The crowd appeared to silence themselves at that, like they all knew what was coming. Ash clearly did, the way he called back Passimian, thanking it, but never letting the serious and focused expression leave his face. Serena and the others knew, too...

"The Totem," she and Clemont said at the same exact time. Lillie was now nervously wringing her hands, like she felt she'd never seen such an intense battle in her life. Bonnie was less nervous.

"Ash beat a really strong Pokémon so easily! I'm sure he can win this one!" she cheered. Serena nodded. She looked to Keoni, but the boy looked as dismissive as ever, leaning to prop his head on his fist.

"You've battled really well. Taking down Marowak is no small feat, Ash," Kiawe was speaking loudly, almost theatrically. It seemed like he really wanted the whole arena to hear.

"Thanks, but we're gonna keep going," Ash said, tossing a pokeball from which Rockruff reappeared. She looked slightly fatigued, but with more than enough energy to continue the battle forward. Kiawe nodded, grinning. He jumped forward, his feet slamming on the stone surface. It shuddered. For a moment, Serena thought it had to have been from his action, until it shuddered again. The tribal drum was going off powerfully, loudly.

"Here it comes..." a member of the crowd said with nervous anticipation. More shuddering and banging on the drums. Clemont and Bonnie began to look around while Serena just waited. Around her, the crowd began to chant in time with the drum, almost like they were calling the Totem forth. The entrance to the enclosure suddenly burst open, likely to allow the Totem in, and the honey blonde looked to that. Before long, she saw it: the red and yellow creature, giant in form, stalking towards the arena. Ash was fixed on it.

"Rotom?" Serena asked of the floating Pokédex, who clearly scanned it.

"Turtonator, the Blast Turtle Pokémon," Rotom informed them as the large Pokémon made its way over. A blast of wind shuddered forth, rippling Serena's shirt as the orange aura surrounded its figure. Rockruff growled, not backing down from the Pokémon. Most surprisingly was that no other Pokémon were coming to its aid. "The shell on its back is chemically unstable and explodes violently if struck. The hole in its stomach is its weak point."

"Turtonator is the Totem Pokémon of Wela Volcano," Kiawe announced to the crowd, his face looking almost manic in the night sky and flames. "We've been together a very long time. He even trained with my grandfather and is the strongest Pokémon on Akala."

"Awesome," Ash said, sending his own grin as Rockruff hunkered down. "We're still gonna win, though."

"We'll see," Kiawe smirked out. The crowd cheered at his statement, all of them obviously thinking that the captain had this match made. Serena felt the opposite. "Let's just have a straight up brawl. No extra Pokémon interfering."

"Sounds good to me," Ash said, and he punched forward. Serena inched a little on her seat; they were ready to begin. "Rockruff, use Stone Edge!"

"Rrrruff!" Rockruff growled. Obviously, neither Ash nor his Pokémon were going to wait for Kiawe to make the first move. She slammed her forelegs down, and the line of stones raced outward.

"Flamethrower!" Kiawe shouted. His face looked grim, showing that he was taking this more seriously than ever. Turtonator leered a little and then craned its neck forward before firing a powerful stream of fire from his mouth. The flames slammed into the rocks and utterly obliterated them.

"There it is! The true power of Totem Turtonator!" Maika called enthusiastically. Serena's eyes had widened at it, but Ash hadn't allowed himself to be distracted. Rockruff was already on the move, pelting a Rock Throw at Turtonator. The Totem looked like it didn't even care.

"Now, use Bite!" Ash commanded. Despite the rocks hitting Turtonator perfectly, the large Fire type didn't even make a move, like Rockruff was this little insignificant threat to it. Serena had a feeling that it genuinely was.

"Shell Trap," Kiawe said. His stance was confident, as though he was sure this would determine the battle when it came to Rockruff. Turtonator finally moved, but only a little, to hunker down as Rockruff leapt forward, biting into the shell on Turtonator's back. It was certainly a successful attack...but a rather dangerous one. Turtonator's back suddenly glowed brightly, and then exploded.

"Rockruff!" Ash called. Smoke trailed from the shell on Turtonator's back while it straightened and Rockruff flew back, slamming into the wall opposite the battlefield. Serena's fist clenched. Ash immediately called the poor Rockruff back, showing that the battle was most clearly over for the little puppy.

"The score is now evened!" cried Maika. The crowd cheered again, yet Serena felt, at this point, that it was for an actual good battle than for Kiawe. Ash tucked his pokeball away while Kiawe flexed and Turtonator watched his opponent carefully.

"That's one strong Totem..." Ash breathed out, loudly enough for most to hear. He chuckled a bit. "So...this is our real battle, then, huh? Fitting. You're the one who told me about it, after all."

"You think you can pull it off?" Kiawe asked. The crowd once more murmured, clearly confused by what the boys were talking about. Only Clemont appeared to have any real notion, his body tensing further.

"I know we can," Ash assured the boy, gripping his final pokeball and tossing it. "Greninja, I choose you!"

"Nin-ja!" Greninja cried, emerging in a crouch. The crowd's murmurs turned into little gasps of interest, the sight of a Greninja obviously still very foreign to the people of Alola. Ash and Kiawe stared across at each other, neither making a move. Turtonator sized up Greninja, as if wondering if the frog would be a suitable opponent. No one said anything, and Serena wasn't sure if she was still breathing. She certainly had a feeling Lillie wasn't. Ash closed his eyes; Kiawe did as well. It was a brief second...then they snapped open.

"Greninja, use Water Shuriken!"

"Turtonator, Shell Smash!" Greninja clasped to his side, drawing out the liquid throwing stars. Meanwhile, Turtonator's body glowed a bright red as flecks of its shell flew off. Most of it remained, but the incredible aura now brewing about it made Serena's hair stand on end. Greninja threw his Water Shuriken, where it impacted, but still did next to nothing...other than distract it.

"Use Cut!" Greninja raced forward, summoning his white blade of cut that he sliced upward on Turtonator's exposed chest. The Totem grunted, but still seemed hardly affected. It angled its head downward and sent a roaring Flamethrower out, but Ash was ready. "Aerial Ace to break free!"

"Ninja!" Greninja agreed, shining leg slamming upward to hit Turtonator's jaw. The Flamethrower now sprayed wildly around the battlefield, going every which way it could. Ash took advantage of that to order another Water Shuriken that sailed into Turtonator's open mouth, cutting off the fiery attack.

"Dragon Pulse!" Kiawe cried. Turtonator got himself back together, rearing back to fire the draconic beam of purple energy at his standing opponent.

"Dodge it and use Cut!" Ash screamed. Greninja leapt upward, spinning in midair as he flew towards Turtonator, striking it on the head with the blade before bounding off. The Dragon Pulse had missed entirely, striking the ground where it smoked. "It's tough."

"Of course it's tough," Kiawe said, once more folding his arms, almost like he was taunting Ash on the matter. "Remember what I told you, Ash? I told you that if you want to win against me, you have to give it your all in battle. And you and I both know that you and Greninja are not giving this battle your all quite yet."

Serena's hands were now on her skirt, pulling it up to her thighs absentmindedly. There was only one thing to which Kiawe could possibly be referring, and Ash knew exactly what it was, because he started to chuckle. "You're right...I guess it's time for us to go all out, Greninja. You ready to do this?"

"Gren," Greninja answered with a nod.

"Here it really comes!" Bonnie said excitedly, flinging herself to her feet while Dedenne twirled with her. Serena scooted forward a little while Lillie cocked her head to the side. Keoni had the same reaction as the rest of the crowd when it came to dumb confusion, especially when Ash raised his hand upward in a fist.

"Greninja, full power!" Maika dropped her microphone; Bonnie cheered loudly for the coming of "Ash-Greninja"; the crowd all leaned forward and Kiawe grinned, ready for the battle. This was no doubt Ash's real test on Akala. Serena knew that if he could defeat Kiawe, show his mastery of Z-Moves here, then there would be no problem defeating Olivia. The torrent shot upward, and Greninja's features changed until the giant shuriken was formed on his back.

"Pikapi! Kapika! Chu pika pika!" Pikachu cheered as the audience sat in stunned silence.

Here, the final battle with Kiawe was truly to begin. And Ash was making the first move.

"Greninja, Water Shuriken, let's go!" Ash roared, reaching for his back. Greninja ran forward, clutching his shuriken tightly, aiming right for Turtonator.

"Shell Trap!" Kiawe roared, grinning widely. Turtonator turned, his back aiming for Greninja as it seemed primed to blow. Ash and Greninja acted as one, both clearly realizing they shouldn't approach. Greninja tossed the shuriken, where it slammed into Turtonator. The attack caused the shell to explode, sending a wave of heat out over the entire crowd.

"Let's go!" Ash called. Greninja seemed to have heard him internally, because he leapt over, landing on Turtonator's back, which was still smoking. "Use Cut!"

"Ninja!" Greninja called, siphoning out his kunai and driving them into the now more brittle shell. He sliced upwards, causing Turtonator to cry out as he flipped off the back of its head.

"Flamethrower on the ground! Make it hot!" Kiawe called, bringing a fist in front of his face, much like Ash. Serena found herself scooting forward a little more. Turtonator plunged his head towards the ground, sending a searing heat across its surface, scorching it powerfully. Clemont gulped next to her, and they both could see the steam rising as Greninja made distance.

"Gren!" Greninja cried, causing Ash to wince. Clearly the ground was extremely hot from the Flamethrower, not easy to handle. It distracted them just a moment. The moment was enough.

"Dragon Pulse!" Kiawe called, taking his fist and punching forward. Turtonator's short tail whipped around, nailing Greninja on the stomach and pinning him in place long enough for the draconic beam to soar out and snap onto him with its gaping maw.

"Gah!" Ash cried out, putting a hand to his stomach. Serena's hands bunched up her skirt and she looked to see Keoni frowning while the rest of the crowd was reacting with fascination. "Use Double Team!"

"Flamethrower! Mow them down!" Kiawe called. His grin was beyond wide, now looking almost feral and wild in nature. Greninja's copies peppered the area as Turtonator reared back once more.

"Water Shuriken!" Ash called, grabbing for what could have been his own and throwing it forward. All of the Greninja did so as well, though Turtonator got to plenty of them first, sending the flames cascading over the copies and turning them into naught but water. The real Greninja escaped its grasp, spinning his shuriken and sending it crashing right into Turtonator's stomach. "That's where we're aiming for! Aerial Ace on its stomach!"

"Grenin!" he croaked in response. His limbs all glowed white and he blitzed forward before Turtonator could stop him, slamming a fist straight into its stomach. He didn't stop there, and Serena was engrossed. Greninja was moving, if possible, faster than he ever had before and Ash was emulating him, save for the flips. His leg kicked up into Turtonator's jaw before pummeling him with his fists again.

"Shell Trap!" The command was quickly given and quickly executed. Turtonator whipped around, his shell brimming with heat and energy, just as Greninja's fist struck it. The energy coalesced on the shell and blasted outward, just as it had with Rockruff. Greninja was thrown back with a cry. Ash recoiled, bending over and gripping at his stomach. He must have been hurting terribly, if the look on his face and the sweat pouring down indicated anything.

He wasn't giving up, though.

"Dragon Pulse."

"Dodge it!" Ash gritted out, bringing himself to stand with a grin. Whatever pain they were experiencing, it was nothing, clearly. They were moving forward. From Turtonator's maw flew the draconic beam on a collision course for the Ninja Pokémon. He leapt upward however, and it struck the edge of the arena, leaving a large hole behind. "Cut, and throw your knives!"

"That won't work," Kiawe said. "Bring it down with Flamethrower!"

Greninja was already moving, siphoning out his knives tossing them forward for the Blast Turtle's midsection. It impacted, buying Greninja just a little bit of time. Whatever commands Ash was issuing through their connection, it was working. All around the battlefield emerged various Greninja, running a circle around Turtonator. As it writhed back and forth in pain, trying to figure out which one was real, Serena could see Ash waiting for the perfect moment to strike. He eventually saw it.

"Now, Water Shuriken on the center!" The Greninja all acted at once, grabbing at their shuriken as they ran in towards the exposed chest where the knives still sat, embedded. Then they sliced upward, using the shuriken as a sword, and the Totem howled in pain, head flopping backwards. In its pain, that head soon snapped back and let loose a Flamethrower that consumed all the copies and Greninja himself.

"Hah! Ah...!" Ash gasped out and there were various cries of fear within the crowd. The tide seemed to have shifted, with people wanting Ash to win. Greninja was slumped over, but standing, his body smoking and ready for more. "No...giving up! Get behind him and use Aerial Ace!"

"Ninja!" Greninja appeared to disappear with his swift speed, appearing behind the turtle as he leapt into the air.

"So fast..." Clemont breathed out. "I can't even keep up with Greninja anymore."

"I can't either..." Serena said. Greninja now punched down on Turtonator, slamming it with so much force that he managed to drive its head into the ground, cracking the surface. Before another Shell Trap could be ordered, Greninja broke off, kicking at part of its opponent's exposed body. "It's like they've reached a new level together. They've grown a lot stronger."

"Really strong...I don't think we could ever keep up," Clemont seemed to lament with a nervous chuckle. "But I know that they'll keep getting stronger. Neither of them back down from a challenge after all."

"True," Serena answered. Next to her, Bonnie continued cheering wildly while Lillie remained in tense silence. The ground around Turtonator erupted as he used a Flamethrower to blast himself out and heat the ground at the same time. Greninja countered it with a similar strategy that he had used against Alain's Charizard, plunging his giant Water Shuriken into the ground and breaking it up, the watery force rippling against the Flamethrower and exploding into light steam.

"It's time, Turtonator! Let us give rise to our burning passion," Kiawe called and he crossed his arms in front of himself. Ash's foot shifted as Greninja landed near him. Kiawe's hands moved to his sides before crossing once more. Then they came up like a rising fire. "This is it, Ash! The end of the battle. Can you handle my burning passion? The flames of Wela Volcano itself? !"

"Ash can handle anything," Serena whispered out. She watched as the red energy flowed from Kiawe's Z-Ring, transferring over to Turtonator and surrounding it powerfully. The Blast Turtle Pokémon formed an orb of fire near its mouth that proceeded to only get bigger and bigger. Her eyes would have widened at it, but her faith was unwavering in the face of it, just as Ash was. He moved his body with a grin. "He can handle anything...because he and Greninja are together as one!"

"Inferno Overdrive!"

"Use Water Shuriken as a shield!" Ash roared, lifting his hands forward as Greninja did. The gigantic ball of fire blasted out, practically melting part of the stadium as it soared for Greninja. If the attack were to hit, there was no doubt as to the devastation it would leave in its wake; she'd seen it for herself. Yet Greninja wasn't budging, holding his Water Shuriken forward as the Z-Move slammed into it. He strained against it, the shuriken only barely holding. "Now, break it into Cut!"

"Niiiiiin-ja!" Greninja cried. The shuriken broke apart, coalescing into the sharp, thin blades in his hands. Suddenly, Greninja dove into the flames, much to the surprised gasps of everyone. Clemont flew forward and Rotom kept snapping pictures furiously. There was a bubbling inside the inferno, and then it split, breaking into pieces. The embers flew by, glittering the air as Greninja reached Turtonator and sliced powerfully against its midsection as he went leaping up.

"I...I don't believe it...Greninja has...cut through...a Z-Move..." Maika said, having recovered her microphone. Even Keoni was unreacting, eyes blinking.

"Now it's our turn, Kiawe!" Ash called, gripping onto his hat. He was the one to cross his arms, in perfect tandem with Greninja before they brought them to their sides. "This is everything we have, putting it on the line for everyone!"

"Greninja!" Their arms split apart to their sides before crossing forward, like every pose for the Z-Moves began. Then Ash's arms flew out to their sides, and Serena could see the blue and red crystal shining powerfully. Greninja followed his movement and two whirring shuriken appeared, siphoning off of the one on his back, the water rippling outward like a cyclone momentarily before revealing the liquid blades. They were orange.

"That's..."

"The move he used in the Kalos League!" Bonnie roared. "Go, Ash! Go, Greninja!" Ash slammed his hands together as the shuriken combined before raising it above his head. The orange shuriken spun powerfully, whirring around in their open hand.

"Let's go, Greninja! We're doing this together! Kiawe, hope you're ready!" Kiawe's eyes widened and he opened his mouth to give a command for Shell Trap. "Scorching...SHURIKEN!"

"Niiiiiinja!" Greninja heaved the giant shuriken. From where they were, Serena could feel its power emanating through the arena, feel the wind force pushing off of it, feel all of its power and potential as it soared forward. Nothing Kiawe could call would stop it. Before Turtonator could even move away from it, the shuriken struck his center and exploded.

Dust flew everywhere, the heat colliding and washing over all of them. Clemont covered his eyes, Rotom flew back and Lillie held on to her hat. Serena just kept watching, wondering if the move had actually succeeded this time. Her heart was pounding, waiting, and as the smoke cleared, she could finally see the result.

"Turtonator is unable to battle! Greninja is the winner! Therefore, Ash clears the Trial of Kiawe!" the trial guide called. There was a moment of stunned silence in the wake of the battle, especially when they seemed to notice that Turtonator's half of the arena had been completely demolished by Greninja's attack. Then...

"Greninja! We did it!" Ash cried, running forward to happily embrace his partner. Pikachu ran with him and they fell in a heap as Greninja's form faded away, laughing happily. Kiawe approached Turtonator, patting the passed out Totem kindly on the head for a good battle. There was a moment more of silence from the crowd before they erupted in cheers, and Serena noticed they had already changed their tune, even if the girls rooting for Kiawe were crying.

"He was so amazing..."

"What strength!"

"I guess he's...okay..." Keoni spat out, as though it physically ailed him to say so. Serena just shook her head, her blonde locks bouncing as tears pricked at her eyes. So much time working on Z-Moves and all of that, and here, he had finally mastered it. Even if he seemed so confused, he had moved forward and managed to complete the trials on Akala.

"That's it folks! The trial is over and Ash Ketchum completes it!" Maika could be heard, her own voice still struggling with the awe. Serena stood, looking down on Ash and Kiawe below her. The two boys approached each other and clasped hands.

"That was a burning battle, for sure," Kiawe said, grinning. Ash nodded; the two had truly forged their bond together and pulled out a fantastic battle. Knowing that, they pulled each other in for a hug. That made the fangirls cry even harder before they drew back. "You really figured out how to use Z-Moves. And I look forward to the day we battle again."

"Me, too," Ash noted, nodding with Pikachu. To this, Kiawe reached into his pockets and pulled out the familiar looking box case, opening it to Ash. Her boyfriend grinned, clasping the wedge and crystal inside; the former was placed on his amulet, while he held the other one high. "All right! I got a Firium-Z!"

"Pipikachu!" Pikachu called out, leading all of his team to cheer as they popped out of their pokeballs. Serena could only smile, feeling a renewed sense of self inside her. It didn't banish her doubts or some of the heaviness she had been having, but still...

If Ash could move forward so spectacularly, then what was to stop her from overcoming her own issues and doing the same.

Author's Note: And so the Trial of Kiawe is over! You know what comes next. That's right: Olivia. Of course, there are still some struggles going on here, especially when it comes to Serena, who lost...again. Naturally, there's a point to this, even if I'm taking a while to get there. More importantly, Ash has showcased his newest Z-Move, Scorching Shuriken! Yes, I named it. Of course, in Japanese, we all know it would be "BURASTO SHURIKEN!". But for now, Ash seems to have mastered most of his problems...well, except for the big one. More on that later, though. Give me your thoughts on the battle (since that's most of what the chapter was).

Before heading off, of course, it's time to thank everyone continuing with the story: Citylover96 and The Aura Gardian for favoriting; jgirl22, InfernapeXD203 and ShadowHero1923 for following; plus those really great thanks to Armorshippingfan, Gehatik, FantasyLover88, Vivian Gray, AdvancedAlto, Cottonmouth25, Tenzalucard123, aliensinnoh, Omegaz, The Wind God of the Leaf, AmourshippingCanon, ultimateCCC, RenegadeReviewer, jlogan2748, ChE clarinetist, potat lasaro, PokeGirl Crossovers and More, David Wilsberg, CommanderAwesome3 and 1 guest for reviewing! We're nearly done with Akala, if it isn't obvious, but there's still more to go. Please stick with me. So, until next time, please Review and Dare to Be Silly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.3K 1.1K 22
Ancienverse Book One. Once every seven years there was a tournament celebrating the bonds between people and Pokemon. Of course, Serena expected Ash...
15K 455 50
Serena has been on her own for about two months in the Hoenn region, when she is suddenly attacked. She learns her attack is connected with mysteriou...
12.7K 114 14
Ash had just returned from the Alola league after losing to Gladion's incredible Silvally. He goes to his house only to find a not so good surprise a...
36.7K 670 10
As our heroes continue their journey, they have encountered Jimmy. A trainer who after battling Serena, took a very big interest in her. Although, As...