World's Apart

By klutzy17

All Jack knew was that he loved her...and one day, any way he could, no matter what it took, he'd make it bac... More

Here In Your Arms
A Long Way From Home
In His Wake
Yesterday's Tomorrow
The Two Of Us
Unexpected
Together Again
For Old Times Sake
A Night To Remember
Farewell Kisses
The Wheel Keeps Turning
Back To Square One
Bye Bye Birdy
The Waiting Game
As The Snow Falls
Christmas Kisses
Winter Wishes
One More Good Day
Right Back At It
Auld Lang Syne (Part 1)
Auld Lang Syne (Part 2)
Yesterday's History
The Phone Call
Fools Gold
A Mother's Words
Through The Rain
I Will Love You
A Lesson in Love
The Last Time
Till Death Do Us Part
Old Friend
Into War
Flight Of His Life
An Ocean Of Blue
Forgotten Shoes
Living Nightmare
No News is Good News
The Love Of Two Hearts
The Long Night
J Is For...
By And By
Jack
Jack II
Jack III
Love, Lies And Death
In Minds Eye
Her
New Beginnings
*Sequel*

Complication

882 32 18
By klutzy17

Her shoes click clack along the paving stones as she hurries to the end of the road and turns right. St Georges Hospital is half way down the road on the right hand side. When she reaches the front step she see's James holding a newspaper over his head at the top of the stone staircase. He waves happily when he see's her and jogs down the stairs.

"Evening Ali," He kisses her cheek and steps under the umbrella with her.

"Sorry I'm late," Ali says as the two of them start walking further down the road.

James shakes his head as he flips his wrist checking the time "Hardly late," he smiles. "How was your day?" He asks as he takes the umbrella to hold over them both.

Ali loops her arm around his "You first,"

James chuckles "Okay. My day was busy, more and more wounded men arrive every day. I had to amputate both legs off a twenty-three year old man today. It's a cruel thing war, it's a wonder God allows it," he sighs as they round the corner and wait to cross over the busy road.

"At least God spared his life," Ali says quietly.

James hums in agreement "Yes but at what cost? That man will never walk again. His whole life will be different now,"

"But a life he has," Ali counteracts. "My father told me that the first great war was like an ocean. You had to keep swimming to stay at the surface, to stay in the light. If you stopped swimming you'd sink and the darkness would drown you,"

"I guess you're right," James pats her arm as they cross over the cobbled road. "So tell me about your day,"

Ali pauses for a moment and bites her lip, unsure of what to say.  "I saw Jack earlier," she confesses.

James turns his head to watch her as they walk, his eyes wide.

"He was waiting for me after work," Ali adds.

"How did he know where you worked?" James asks.

"My mother told him," Ali rolls her eyes.

James nods once and clears his throat "What did he have to say?" 

"He was sorry," Ali stares ahead, her voice flat. "They're sending him to France,"

James' eyes soften and he places a comforting hand over hers "I'm sorry Ali,"

A single tear rolls down onto Ali's cheek as she stares blankly at the path ahead. The rest of the walk continues in a comfortable silence. Ali's mind works through every moment of the past eight months. How things had changed. She wished for nothing else but to go back to the wildflower field and lay in Jack's arms again; but this time she wouldn't let him leave, he would stay and he wouldn't have to make stupid promises to her. She remembered walking down the country lane with Emily and she remembered running through the storm and being saved by James.

Ali gives his arm a comforting squeeze and James smiles at her. What would she do without him?  She'd known him for eight months but it felt like a life time. James was a good man, a kind man; he was reliable and safe and deep down Ali knew how he felt about her, but it was something they continuously overlooked. She looks at his face from the corner of her eye. His blue-grey eyes are bright and loving and it makes Ali smile to know she has somebody like him in her life.

"We're home," James announces happily as they reach the large town house.

They hurry through the small iron gate and up the steps to the large black wooden door. The house keeper, Mrs Moore opens the door and the two of them hasten inside out of the rain. James shuts down the umbrella before shutting the door behind him. 

"Allow me," he reaches for Ali's coat and helps her out of it before hooking it on the coat rack and removing his own jacket.

The town house was large and grand inside. Before the war Ali might have thought this place to beautiful, but now there were reminders of the war all around her. The large airy white windows now had strips of tape fixed in crosses on both sides of the glass and on the inside, heavy wooden boards were fixed in place, limiting shattering glass should a bomb be dropped. Heavy curtains with black lining framed each window and were drawn each night to disguise the city lights from the enemy above. 

"Dinner is nearly ready for you both Dr Harrington," Mrs Moore announces before leaving the hallway.

"Thank you," James says politely.

"Shall we wait in the dining room?" He asks and Ali nods. She follows him into the dining room. Candles are lit on the table and the places are set as always. Ali sits across from James. A few minutes later, Mrs Moore and Catherine Epps the maid, serve their food. Tonight was chicken, potatoes and vegetables.

"You're quiet tonight," James comments as he takes a bite of his chicken.

Ali sips from her wine glass and looks over at him "I'm just tired," she says setting her glass down.

"Thinking about Jack?" James asks as he looks down to cut up his food.

"Partly," Ali admits "And other things," she says, her mind distant again.

"Are you still feeling unwell?" James looks up at her now "You know maybe you should see a doctor," he suggest, setting his cutlery down.

Ali chuckles then "Why would I go and see a doctor when I have one right in front of me," 

"You might not want me knowing your private business Ali," James says with an air of professionalism about him.

Ali waves her hands nonchalantly "Nonsense, it's probably nothing. Just a bit under the weather,"

"Are you sure, it's been a few weeks now," James eyes her worried.

Ali rolls her eyes and sets down her own cutlery "Fine, lets pretend I've come to see you. Pretend I'm your patient, what would you ask?" 

A playful smile tugs at James' lips and he sits back in his chair clasping his hands.

Ali stands, walks to the corner of the room and back to her seat again where she clears her throat.

"Dr Harrington," Ali says in a playful voice.

"Miss Dawes," James smiles and gestures to her chair where Ali takes a seat. "How may I help you today?" 

Ali makes a face and clutches her stomach "Well," she teases "I've been feeling nauseous and I keep getting pains in my stomach,"

"I see," James stands from his seat and walks slowly around the table. "Maybe it's wind," he eyes Ali from the corner of his eye and winks at her with a grin plastered on his face.

Ali's mouth drops open "How dare you sir, I'm a lady," she flutters her eyelashes and the two of them laugh loudly.

James coughs with laughter and then clears his throat "Hmm, not wind you say," He walks around the table slowly with his hands clasped behind his back.

Ali giggles "Definitely not," her bright eyes watch him moving as she holds her wine glass and takes another sip.

"Have you travelled abroad in the past few weeks Miss Dawes?" James asks.

Ali shakes her head "I'm afraid not," her smile is wide as she enjoys the game.

"I see," James shakes his head "And you've not eaten anything funny?" 

"Not unless you call rations funny," Ali jokes back. James laughs then too.

"Hmm well it's not food poisoning or a bug picked up whilst travelling and it's not wind-" he eyes her curiously.

"No!" Ali exclaims laughing.

"Just checking," James winks playfully. "Well then, if it's none of them. I have to ask Miss Dawes, are you pregnant by any chance?" 

As the words leave his lips they both burst out laughing. Ali throws her head back, still clutching the wine glass and James steadies himself, holding onto the back of one of the dining chairs. Tears of laughter pool in her eyes as she takes another sip of her wine. James' laughter rings in her ears, her own laughter subsides into chuckles and then slowly stops all together. Pregnant?  Ali chuckles once, an awkward sound as the glass rests on her lips. Her mind runs in circles trying to figure out the dates and suddenly there's the sound of smashing glass.

The wine glass had fell from her hand and had shattered into a hundred tiny pieces. The white wine pooled on the floor and Mrs Moore rushed in.

"I'll sort it," James holds his hand up  "Leave us please," he waves Mrs Moore out.

"Ali?" He hurries towards her concerned. She is on her hands and knees trying to gather up the fragmented glass.

"I'm sorry about the glass James, I'm so clumsy at times," her hands shake as she tries to scoop up the broken pieces.

"Ali," he says again as he crouches to her level, but she doesn't look up at him.

"Do you have a brush-"

"Fuck the glass!" James raises his voice and Ali jumps "What is going on?"

Ali looks up at him, her eyes wide. She had never heard him curse before. She blinks slowly and takes a deep breath. "I think I'm pregnant," 

James sits back heavily. His back resting against the back of a chair "Ali you have to-"

"Have sex? I'm not an idiot James," her words are harsh and James is surprised by her bluntness.

He nods slowly and then his eyes widen with realisation "Jack," he says unsure "It's Jack's," he sits forward, his voice more sure now.

Ali's face falls but she nods. Tears falls from her eyes as she watches James stand and pace up and down the room.

"Do you hate me?" Ali cries out.

James runs a hand through his hair and loosens the tie around his neck "No Ali I don't," 

"I hate me," she cries "I'm a tart, I'll bring shame to my family,"

James watches her on the floor.

"Ow," Ali lifts her hand and pulls a shard of glass from it. It's bleeding as she cradles it with her other hand.

James hurries over to her, he whips a napkin from the table and wraps it around Ali's hand. He holds her hand comfortingly "I don't hate you Ali," he says quietly.

Their eyes meet and tears run down Ali's cheeks "What am I going to do?" she sobs.

James swipes the wetness from her cheeks using the pad of his thumb "You need to tell him. He might still do the right thing," He stands and pulls Ali up with him.

Ali nods slowly "I'll leave tonight," she looks around the big room sadly.

James makes a face "Why on Earth would you leave? This is your home, no matter what," he smiles lightly at her.

"You're not ashamed to have me here?" Ali asks meekly.

"You could never shame me away Ali," James says touching a hand to her cheek "Now, lets go and see to this hand," 

He wraps his arm about her shoulder an the two of them leave the dining room.

A/N: Ooooh Jack what have you done? Thought on this chapter? Thank you for the 2k+ reads, so soo grateful! Love reading your comments. You guys are all great!! ✌️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.9K 194 10
Editing 💫 A compelling story of an RAF pilot and a Red Cross nurse during the Battle of Dunkirk that finds hope and love in the midst of war ☁️☁️☁️ ...
2.2M 41.2K 25
How far would you go to protect the ones you love? A successful architect with a promising career in London, Brian's world spins out of control when...
2.4K 95 36
Will they be together? Will the military tear them apart? Will it ruin Luke's career? Will make them come closer together? Will it make them love eac...
1.2K 158 30
"And as I hold my crying, broken girl in my arms at the doctors office, I realize the true meaning of unconditional love. There isn't anything that...