The Cheerleader And The Nerd

By _ayeesha98

Meet Riley Pearce! She's in her senior year. She's the head cheerleader and she has the star quarterback begg... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 21

5.8K 69 24
By _ayeesha98

It had been exactly 2 weeks, 6 days, 11 hours, 27 minutes and 45 seconds now since I had kissed Jayden on Valentine’s Day. And to say I was feeling rotten would be the understatement of the year. Jayden had done everything he could to avoid me. If he saw me coming, he’d turn and hightail it out of there. When I tried to catch his eye, he’d always turn away. Even in English class, the one class we had together, I tried talking to him, but he just ignored me as if he couldn’t hear a word I was saying.

I tried once again, and looked at the table he was sitting at with his friends, only there was another brunette sitting there now, laughing with the rest of them. For a second, I let myself be jealous and imagined her burning at a stake before I blinked and my very vivid vision vanished. I turned back to my own table and slumped down in my seat, and just stared at my lap, wringing my hands together.

‘’Riley?’’ Kat asked. I looked up and gave her a confused look when she shot me an incredulous glare.

‘’Hmm?’’

‘’You have to get out of this slump of yours, honey,’’ she sighed, leaning her head on my shoulder and wrapped her right arm around my slim waist. She chuckled but it was void of humor. ‘’You haven’t even touched your milkshake. I think it’s the first time I’ve ever seen you not completely drain your milkshakes.’’

‘’I don’t feel like it, Kat,’’ I grumbled. ‘’Actually you know what, I need some air.’’

I stood up abruptly, causing a few eyes to stray in my direction but I ignored them, sending Kat a small, barely there, smile. ‘’Riles, do you-‘’

‘’I’m fine,’’ I told her as confidently as I could, straightening my shoulders. ‘’I’ll catch you later.’’

And with that, I walked out, my 2 inch heels click clacking as I made it out to the courtyard. Our school had this huge courtyard connected to the cafeteria which was a great place to hang out when the sun was shining down but today had been cloudy and there was a cool breeze in the air so most had opted to staying indoors.

I pulled down the sleeves of my shirt, from where I’d rolled them to my elbows, and grabbed the ends in a fist before stepping out, hugging myself. I felt a shiver wrack my body as I stepped out and felt a breeze whoosh past my face. I took slow and cautious steps around the yard, making my way to the big oak tree at the end. It had huge branches with it being the spring season, full of beautiful green leaves, which if you sat under, almost shielded you from the outside.

I just stood with my back to the trunk, closing my eyes, and hugged myself tighter.

Usually being around my friends – moreover my best friend – tended to help me through a lot of tough times but I lately I couldn’t even do that. Why? Because being around Kat and Sam and seeing them act all lovey-dovey and shit was annoying the hell out of me. Yes, after that party at Amanda’s place, Kat and Sam had finally gotten together.

I felt happy for them, I really did, but it just got a little creepy to hear them finish each other’s sentences, feed each other food and always be touching. I could hardly go up to them and say ‘Since my relationship is currently non-existent at the moment, can you please refrain from going out with each other. Please, for my selfish reasons?’

Of course, there was only so much a girl could take so I tried to keep away most of the time. I think Kat understood that, she wasn’t stupid. So she just refrained from talking too much about what he had done and how much she loved him in front of me.

I sighed. I was distancing my best friend too.

I gave up on clearing my thoughts. It clearly wasn’t helping clear things any bit. Pushing myself off of the tree, I walked back to the hallways. I kicked an imaginary stone in my way, chuckling as I imagined it hitting something. Pathetic, I know.

Just then I heard a few hushed voices. My ears perked up as I recognized Kyle’s voice. What the hell was he doing in the hallways when everyone was at the cafeteria? Curiously, I snuck myself closer and hid behind a wall that completely concealed me. I poked my head out, testing it out, and in the shadows my dark hair blended right in so I was sort of camouflaged. Perfect. Feeling more excited than I had in weeks, I poked my head out again and saw the little scene in front of me.

Only it wasn’t what I expected… at all.

‘’Huh? Gonna mess with my girl, are you? I’d like to see you try after this,’’ Kyle said menacingly. ‘’You. Will. Stay. Away. From. Riley. Got it? She’s mine!’’

No, everything wasn’t in slow motion and everything wasn’t blurry. I could see the scene unfold in front of me in perfect clarity.

 I immediately felt all color drain from my face as I saw Kyle throw a punch to Jayden’s stomach. Followed by Kyle’s best friend, Blake, who kicked Jayden in his shins repeatedly, and Daniel completing the trio, threw a punch to Jayden’s face and then pulled at his hair and banged his head repeatedly into the lockers behind as Jayden’s body shielded itself by covering his hands over his body as it automatically took a defensive formation, curling up into a ball.

I was frozen. My eyes widened but my body didn’t – couldn’t – move.

‘’Had enough yet?’’ Dan and Blake laughed, as Kyle shot them a grin. Jayden glared at them which caused Kyle to laugh out. ‘’Ooh, the eyes? Trying to scare us? Boys look, I’m just so terrified!’’

Another punch and another kick followed after they finished laughing. I gasped, seeing Jayden spit out blood and cough violently. Tears sprung to my eyes and I immediately ran out – my body finally responding at seeing Jayden so hurt and in pain – not caring I almost tripped in my heels.

‘’Kyle!’’ I screamed, staring at him in disbelief.

He paled and turned to shoot me, what he hoped for, was a breathtaking smile but just looked cheap to me. ‘’Hey babe. What are you doing here?’’

How fucking dare he?!

‘’W-what-t w-were y-you…’’ I said, as I dropped to my knees in front of Jayden. He averted his eyes from me, as I covered my mouth to stop a sob from escaping at seeing him so battered and bruised.

‘’Nothing,’’ he shrugged, as if it were a normal thing to beat someone up like this. ‘’Just teaching this nerd his place.’’

My eyes shot to his – I didn’t miss the way his friends scurried out faster than bullets out of a gun, at my appearance – and I gave him a look of pure repulsion.

‘’How dare you, you-you monster!’’ I cried out in rage. Kyle had just crossed the line here. ‘’His place!? The only douche that needs to learn his place here is you. You and I are nothing. How many fucking times do I have to say it to get my message across?!’’

I was practically screaming now, as I saw complete red. How fucking dare he?! He needs help… serious help.

I heard Jayden cough below me, and I almost burst into tears there and then at how broken he looked and sounded. He already had a dark bruise forming on the right side of his face. I tenderly stroked his hair, loving how soft it felt under my fingers. ‘’J-Jayden?’’

The only response I got was another cough as he tried to sit up properly, leaning his back on the lockers behind him. I helped him sit, thanking someone up there that I’d chosen to wear full skinny jeans today and not a skirt or dress. My screaming had caught quite some attention and I saw a few people gather round out of the corner of my eyes.

‘’Oh please!’’ Kyle exclaimed, letting out a bitter laugh. ‘’You know the freak’s name? This is even more hilarious.’’

‘’Kyle, for the love of all that’s holy, shut the fuck up!’’ I yelled out, as I took Jayden’s face in my hands. When his eyes seemed to not focus, I yelled at a group of frightened freshman students towards the front. ‘’Call the nurse. Now!’’

One of the boys nodded, and scurried away just as I heard a loud gasp and several shouts of Jayden’s name. I looked back, seeing Ryan, Darren, Brooke and the other brunette all hurrying towards us.

‘’Darren, Ryan, help him up! Please!’’ I practically begged as his eyes drooped once. I lightly slapped the left – uninjured – side of his face. ‘’Jayden, stay with me. Look at me. Focus!’’

I moved out of the way as Darren and Ryan each grabbed one side of Jayden’s shoulders and slowly pulled him up. He let out a few grunts and groans but didn’t lose conscious or anything. That, I was thankful for. Wasn’t it better for the person to stay conscious just in case of a concussion? I wasn’t taking any chances with Jayden.

‘’Out of my way, out of my w- Oh my!’’ Nurse Jackie gasped, taking one look at Jayden and rushing forward, the swarm of students parting for her like the Red Sea. ‘’We have to take him to the infirmary immeaidately.’’

Ryan and Darren helped Jayden, well more like half and half carried him. Brooke, the brunette I still didn’t know, and I followed behind them, my hands automatically patting my cheeks to make sure they weren’t damp.

Once we got to the infirmary, Jayden was placed in one of the two beds there. Nurse Jackie ushered us all out to the waiting room while she tended to Jayden, saying she needed to make sure if his wounds were too bad that Jayden would have to go to the hospital.  I was sincerely hoping he wouldn’t have to go. Sitting on the plastic chair, I couldn’t help it as the dam finally broke loose and I burst into tears, the tears flowing down my rosy cheeks like a endless waterfall.

I buried my face in my hands in guilt and shame.

This was my entire fault.

All my fucking fault.

It was because of me that Kyle and his friends attacked Jayden. God forbid, if I hadn’t been there… I covered my mouth as a sob broke through. What they could have done? What lengths was Kyle willing to go to?

Now I was one hundred perfect sure, he wasn’t right in the head.

No sane person did shit like this.

A pair of arms squeezed my shoulders in comfort, and I looked up to see it was Brooke. She gave me a wobbly smile which I couldn’t even return as I just hid my face back in my hands.

‘’All my fucking fault, all my fault…’’ I mumbled through my wet lips, over and over again.

‘’Honey, it wasn’t your fault,’’ she murmured, rubbing my back.

‘’Yes it was,’’ I said, looking straight in her eyes. ‘’Kyle only beat him up because he thought Jayden was stealing me from him. As twisted as he is, his motive was clear. Jayden got beat up because of me. Me! It was intended to be a warning to stay the hell away from me.’’

She stayed silent after that, only sitting next to me, and soothingly rubbing my back. She probably didn’t have anything to say back to that. Perhaps, she too hated me now. I wouldn’t blame her, to be honest. I was the reason for her one of her best friend’s distress. They’d all be better off without me.

A few more minutes later, I heard quick footsteps. I looked up, blurry eyed to see our principal, a good friend of my father’s actually, headed out way. Mr. Schmitt was a short man, probably only 5’5 at the most with a balding head and beady charcoal like eyes. You could always catch him in a different tie each day. Today it was yellow with blue polka dots.

‘’What has happened here? I’m hearing all sorts of rumors going around the campus that Mr. Walter beat up Mr. Andrews? Is this true? And why wasn’t I immediately informed?’’

All of us nodded solemnly as Mr. Schmitt pulled out a handkerchief and dabbed at his forehead. ‘’Oh dear, oh dear. Who was there? Who stopped the fight?’’

‘’I was, sir,’’ I said, my loud and clear voice ringing out confidently despite my inner turmoil. ‘’And it wasn’t a fight. Jayden didn’t throw a single punch. It was Kyle and his friends Blake Richards and Daniel Fitzpatrick who attacked Jayden.’’

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Ryan and Darren clench their fists and square their jaws but I kept my gaze fixed with Mr. Schmitt.

‘’Are you sure of this, Miss Pearce?’’

I felt the immediate need to correct him that I was no longer a ‘Miss Pearce’ but refrained from doing so. That would complicate things to a much larger scale. Instead I found another reason to voice. ‘’Are you calling me a liar, sir?’’

I raised an eyebrow at the elder man as he wavered under my gaze. ‘’O-of course not, Miss P-Pearce. But I m-must be sure.’’

‘’I am sure.’’ I stated, in a voice that said no bullshit. He nodded slowly and cocked his head to the door.

‘’Well I’ll be on my way then. I have some expulsion forms to fill in. Give my best to Mr. Andrews. I am really sorry this happened.’’ And with another nod, he turned on his feet and left, the way he came. The minute he was out of earshot, Darren and Ryan exploded.

‘’They were three against one?!’’ Ryan yelled.

Darren beat his fist into his palms. ‘’I’m gonna beat the living daylights out of them! They messed with the wrong person.’’

They were just about to take a few steps when Brooke grabbed their hands. ‘’You can't fight them now. If the principal sees their bruised, he’ll expel you as well.’’ Seeing their hesitant faces, she added. ‘’Not now. I promise, you’ll have your chance to beat the living daylights or whatever… just not now. Please guys. Right now, Jayden needs us.’’

For the first time, since I’d met her, brunette girl spoke. Her amber colored eyes bore daggers into mine as she smoothed down the dress she was wearing. She leaned more to the chubby side, not exactly fat or big but not exactly skinny either. She still had a bit of baby fat that made her seem… cute, I guess?

‘’You’re Riley, right?’’ She asked. I nodded mutely. ‘’I’m Amber.’’

‘’Nice to meet you,’’ I said politely though I was in no mood to make small talk with this little girl. She looked like she was freshman, maybe sophomore; no more.

‘’Sorry I can't say the same about you,’’ she shrugged as she flashed me a grin which made me uneasy.

‘’Excuse me?’’ I asked, needing a topic change. If I let my thoughts linger on Jayden for more than a minute, I was sure to burst into more hot tears.

‘’Amber, that’s enough,’’ Brooked scolded Amber who shrugged it off and remained silent. It was like they were having a silent eye conversation. Weird. Finally Brooke looked back to me. ‘’I’m sorry, Amber’s my cousin. She’s very straightforward.’’

I nodded, accepting it for an answer as I didn’t know what else to do or say. A few moments later though, the shrill bell of our school rang, signaling the end of break and back to classes. Though all of us sat fixed in our seats, I could see them all fidget a bit.

‘’You can go. He probably won’t be up for some time anyway,’’ I told them, not looking away from the door in case Nurse Jackie suddenly flung it open, my voice sounding so… weird even to my own ears. Hollow and empty.

‘’No, we’ll stay,’’ Brooke argued, though I knew she was second guessing it. I looked them all straight in the eyes.

‘’Go. I’m sure you have tests and all that shit. I can get away with it, you can’t.’’ I deadpanned. They hesitated a little before nodding slowly and getting up.

‘’Call us, if anything okay?’’ Ryan confirmed with me. I nodded back and gave them a wave as all four of them went out of sight. I sighed as I rubbed my eyes tiredly. I curled up in a ball in the uncomfortable plastic chair I was sitting in and just closed my eyes, trying to clear my thoughts.

It didn’t work but I tried, doing what Sarah had told me worked for her whenever she wanted to clear her mind. Create a colored dot in your mind and just keep staring at it. If any other thoughts come to you, brush them away. Focus on the dot.

I did just that and in the beginning it was hard, as I got so many various thoughts buzzing around in my mind but after a few minutes, it got easier. And I slowly, slowly lost myself in my own darkness but just before I went completely under, I heard the click of a door. More importantly, the infirmary door.

A/N: Hey guys! So… a little late yeah, but I had my report distribution today and I passed with flying colors! Oh yeah baby! And my soccer team – if any of you actually watch soccer and are following the Euro Cup, you’ll understand – Spain made it to the finals !!!!! *happy dance*

Okay so not really a happy chapter and though there was Jay… not what you expected right? Well most of you wanted drama, so here it is! I hope you loved it as much as I did.

Yes, I know it’s a bit rushed but that’s because I tried to show how Riley is seeing things. And she’s not really paying attention to much details, just that everything is rushing past her.

I hope you like it, and if you please, please, pretty please with cherries on top,

VOTE !!!!! COMMENT !!!!!!!!! FAN !!!!!!!!!  [Ps: Can we try for 20 votes and at least 5 comments again?]

And now I'm gonna crash since its reallllllly late here!

I love y’all! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7M 129K 59
BOOK COMPLETE - EDITION ONGOING. This work is intended for an 18+ audience. I stop searching for it and stand in front of him, perplexed. Is he sayin...
458 91 25
Felicia Simmons is a woman that just wants her freedom. After her divorce with a real estate mogul, she sets out to raise her teenage son and find th...
487K 9.9K 47
Sequel to This Time I'll Hang, Close the Door. Summer Quinn has been through a lot. There's been secrets, lies, changes, and promises. Finally some...
3.8M 94.2K 64
IF YOU WANT A WELL WRITTEN GANG STORY: READ MY OTHER BOOK "RIDE OR DIE" This book is not well written, contains grammar errors, and overall super cli...