Life of Wren

By PSMalcolm

It started with a Starbucks drink, and it ended in a viral meme. Nineteen-year-old Wren Robinson had it all... More

Coming Soon
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY - THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
EPILOGUE

NINE

384 20 2
By PSMalcolm

"So, you're saying that the company you're doing the job trial at actually orchestrated Jade's baby scandal?" he repeated.

"Uh huh," I replied, munching on the salad sandwich I'd bought. Mmm, it was so good. I hadn't realised how hungry I was.

I was sitting outside the deli, under the shade of a potted tree and listening to the cars passing by. I didn't care if I was a few minutes late back— especially since I wasn't 100% sure if I was going to take this job yet. If Kara asked, I'd just say I took a wrong turn.

"Wow," Connor said, sounding like he was at a loss for words.

"I don't know what to do," I admitted, leaning forward in my seat and placing my elbows on the table. "I need a job. But I don't want to betray you guys. Especially if they're going to make me work at destroying Jade's career for the sake of Lana's. That's just so wrong!"

"It is," Connor agreed. "But it's also business. Honestly, I'm not really surprised. It sucks, of course, but this kind of thing happens all the time. If Wesley and Jade were to come back and say that the baby isn't Nathan's, that could still make the whole thing backfire, so you might not have to worry about it. It might fall apart."

"But what if it doesn't?" I asked, gripping the phone tighter. "What if I have to do something worse?"

There was silence, followed by a huge gasp.

"I just had an idea!" he said quickly. "What if you did take this job, and worked as a secret spy for us?"

"What?" I asked, not following him at all.

"Like, you tell us what their next moves are, so we can keep counteracting them before they're orchestrated."

I sat in stunned silence.

"You do realise that's a great way to get me fired again?" I replied dully, unable to believe he was this stupid.

"That's only if you get caught," he said, a hint of mischief in his voice.

I snorted. "The press would love this," I added. "Wren from Starbucks screws over second company! If I wasn't a dishonest worker before, I sure will be after this."

"Don't worry— we won't let you get fired," he promised. "Whatever happens, it won't backfire on you again. But if you do this, it would be so helpful! Lana's been steady competition since we formed the group channel, and she's nothing but hostile to us. It would be really nice to have the upper hand for once. Not to mention that having someone with social marketing skill in the house will be super helpful."

My eyes widened.

"You say it like I am moving in."

"Wesley's approved it," he confirmed. "I was going to tell you later tonight."

I didn't know how to respond to that. And after sitting there for a moment, I realised I should be getting back soon in any case.

"Sorry— I've got to run," I said quickly. "I'll talk to you later."

"Hey wait!" he said quickly. "Do you want one of us to come pick you up later?"

I froze. I hadn't even thought of that. I didn't even know what time the bus would get here, so having someone pick me up would be really handy. But I couldn't rely on the boys to keep running me around, either. And I had no idea what was going to happen once I was finished with work— should I move in with them, or should I keep living at the apartment? I needed some time to think all these things over, to be completely honest.

"No, that's okay. I'll call you later, alright?" I said, and hung up.

***

The rest of the afternoon passed exactly as Kara had said it would— we scheduled Lana's videos and tagged the appropriate keywords to help them get found by the right viewers. I did my best to stay enthusiastic and appear eager, but with everything weighing on my mind, it was hard. Thankfully, Kara seemed to brush it off as just tiredness.

"You did so good today, hon," Kara said, as we were finishing up for the day. She patted me on the back and added, "I'll put in a good word for you when Audrey comes to check over what you did. I know she's going to be impressed— you're a real natural at this stuff!"

"You think?" I asked, but my tone of voice was hollow. She let out a soft laugh.

"Go home and rest— you've earned it," she said, pushing me lightly towards the door. I bid her goodbye and headed down to the elevator. Deep breaths, Wren. Deep breaths.

Stepping into the elevator, I didn't know whether to be happy or upset. Under normal circumstances I'd be thrilled. In fact, I'd be practically bouncing off the walls— this had been so out of my comfort zone it was a miracle I'd lasted past the first hour. And now it looked like I was really going to get this job.

Yet all I could focus on was the pit of guilt and self-loathing building in my stomach.

The elevator doors opened again on the second floor, and Lana stepped in, making that sickness increase by tenfold. She eyed me curiously, and I tried to smile at her. I think it came across as a grimace.

The doors closed, and we stood in silence for a moment. But then,

"So..." she said casually, admiring her nails as the elevator doors closed. "You're that Starbucks girl, aren't you?"

My blood ran cold, and I let out a nervous laugh.

"Uh, what?"

She gave me a pointed look.

"Don't play dumb with me— my entire life is the internet," she replied smoothly. "Did you really think no one was going to recognise you here?"

She smirked, and that sensation in my stomach got worse.

"Why are you bringing this up? Why does it matter?" I asked, trying to handle this maturely.

"It matters... because the video that sent you viral also sent the JAWCK boys viral. Now, they're about 5 million subscribers off passing me, which I simply can't have."

She narrowed her gaze, and the hint of a cruel smile appeared on her perfect, pink lips. Planting her hands on her hips, she backed me slowly against the elevator wall. I hadn't even realised I'd been moving until I felt the cold, glossy mirror touch my back.

"You take this job... then you work for me, got it?" she said slowly, drawing out each word. "Any ties or relations you have to those boys... cut it. Because all I have to do is tell Audrey who you are, and she'll get rid of you as quickly as she got rid of Brielle."

Brielle?

Wait... could that be... that girl who left?

"You and I don't have to be enemies. I can help you, as long as you're willing to help me," she said, reaching to stroke my hair. I shrank back, avoiding her delicate fingers, and eyed her warily.

"When did you decide we were enemies?" was all I said in return. She raised her eyebrows, then her lips curled upward in a mysterious smile. She let out a single, breathy laugh, just as the elevator doors dinged open. Turning on her heel, she walked away, like we hadn't even spoken.

I had to fight the urge to slump against the elevator with relief, and somehow found the strength to follow her out. I kept my distance behind her, and the receptionist waved to both of us as we were leaving. Lana smiled dazzlingly at her, before floating through the glass doors and out onto the street.

I, on the other hand, barely managed a smile in my hurry to get the heck out of there.

***

It was strange returning home to my tiny, shoebox apartment after spending the previous night in such a large house, with so many personalities. The was no sound except for the clink and clatter my fumbling hands, as I retrieved what should have been my dinner last night from the fridge.

I turned on my small, second hand TV before curling up on the couch, and eating my dinner. There wasn't anything good on, but I had little else to occupy me. And I was tired of spending time in my head after today. I just wanted to stop for a while— pretend like I wasn't going through a whole lot of major changes.

But of course, TV failed to distract me after a while.

A part of me wondered what it was, exactly, that had drawn me to this place. Had it been the stunning buildings? The fantasy of going to the beach every other day? The vast range of vegan options that made going on a health kick look as easy as breathing air? Had it been the prospect of getting to see the occasional celebrity? Or just living in a town that was both endlessly exciting and a tropical paradise?

Because so far, I'd spent 99% of my time at work, and hadn't had any spare time or money to do any of the things that I thought I'd be doing here. I was struggling to live.

Once more, I flashbacked to what it had been like doing my degree. I hated the life I'd been living. I thought moving towns would solve half of my problems— that not having to slave away at a degree would give me more time to explore the world around me. That was always something I loved doing with Daniel— on the rare days that I did have free time, we'd go hiking, swimming... everywhere. I craved those times back then— they'd fulfilled me, kept me sane.

I wondered what it was going to be like five years from now. Would I still be living in this tiny apartment? Would it still look so scarce and empty? Would I have any friends to go and do things with?

Or would I be the same as I was now?

A queasy feeling developed in my stomach as a worse thought occurred to me— would I be lying dead in a ditch somewhere, having gotten mugged on my way home again?

Something like that is going to happen again, for sure.

The words echoed through my head, and I cringed. I was suddenly seeing a very big problem with having to rely solely on public transport.

I'd been a strange teenager. I'd never bothered to get a car— even though my parents were well off and could have bought me one, I just never needed one. They always drove me where I needed to go, and if they couldn't, I had Daniel. Sometimes I even just drove his car. There wasn't a point to me having a car. It would be a worthy investment now, of course, but even if I got one now, I didn't have anywhere to park it. And besides, there's no way my parents would help me get a car after what I'd done. They wanted me to come home— they would never support me in any endeavour that would help me stay here.

And I was determined to stay here.

As I flicked lazily through the channels, I wondered if maybe it hadn't entirely been a coincidence that I'd crossed paths with Kurt and Connor, in Starbucks. That maybe the universe had heard my plea, and send the two people who could change my life forever.

I thought about the JAWCK boys. I thought about their videos, and their personalities. They were always seizing life by the moment, exploring places, doing fun and crazy things. That was the life I'd been chasing when I'd come here. That was the kind of person I'd wanted to become. The kind of person I couldn't be back home, with perfect, proper Daniel.

He would never have understood it.

And I could never have allowed myself to grow into who I'm supposed to be while playing his soon-to-be-wife. Though he'd cared for me, and loved me wholeheartedly, he hadn't been the right person for me to spend forever with. I would have become miserable, living in a small town, in a plain house, working a plain job. Enjoying the occasional, adventurous day and calling it a 'treat'.

Everyday should be exciting and well lived. Everyday should be like a day in the life of the JAWCK boys.

Maybe I should move in with them. I wondered what my life could be like if I did.

But then it all hit me again, and I found myself drowning in doubt. The job... Lana... Jade...

I couldn't do that.

I couldn't pretend every day. I couldn't work for Lana, who could ruin me with a single word. I couldn't hurt Jade when I knew she was a decent person, who didn't deserve it.

My thoughts overwhelmed me, and I was about to switch off the TV and go to bed when my phone rang. I frowned, wondering who was calling me at this hour, and my stomach turned when I saw that it was an unknown number.

Oh boy. What now?

"Hello?" I said cautiously.

"Wren?" a voice echoed. "It's Jade Cortez. Where do you live?"

I was slightly stunned for a moment, unsure if I'd heard her correctly.

"Jade? What— why?" I stammered.

"Cause I'm on my way to get you. We need to talk."

I was tempted to just keep asking why, but at this point I was tired from the events of today, and not in the mood for games. You know what? I'm just going to roll with it, I decided, and promptly gave her my address. She told me she'd be here in ten minutes, so I locked up the apartment and went downstairs to make it easier for her to find me.

A sleek, white car pulled up shortly after, and I pushed off the wall, heading towards it. She rolled down the window.

"Hey!" she hollered from the driver's seat. "Have you been to the Santa Monica Pier yet?"

I cocked my head at her.

"No..." I trailed off, and she smiled.

"Good— cause that's where we're headed. Get in."

I did as she said, and she pulled out from the curve. The car was so smooth, and the inside was so nice. Leather seats, cool air, and an impeccable sound system blaring the latest music. If not for the impressive ride, I'd be totally freaking out right now— I barely knew Jade, and I had no idea why she'd come all this way just to talk. About what, exactly?

And why were we going to the Santa Monica Pier?

"Connor told me about the phone call," she said finally, her eyes trained on the road and all the blinking, bright lights in the darkness. "He told me about Lana— I knew she was behind this."

I didn't know what to say, so I sat there and nodded awkwardly, completely forgetting she wasn't even looking at me. She was dressed in a black band shirt, with ripped jeans and blue tips in her black hair. A statement look, and she was killing it.

"I want to thank you, by the way," she added, sparing me a quick glance. "For taking my side. It means a lot."

"Oh, of course," I replied. "I just didn't feel right about it when I heard."

"Look, none of us want to put you in a bad position," she said. "And the last thing Connor wants is for you to lose your job again. We're not trying to pressure you into anything, okay? But I actually liked Connor's plan. You know, to be our spy? And if you do take this job... I won't hold it against you."

She glanced at me again, as we stopped at a red light.

"If you were to consider his proposition... and spy on Lana... everyone in the house would be thankful for it. I know it sounds so wrong... but if you knew what she did to Asher, I'm sure you wouldn't have to twice about it."

"Why?" I asked. "What did she do to him?"

She let out a slow, steady breath, and hit the gas as the light turned green.

"Well," she began. "It was back in high school, and they were petty little kids back then. But Lana never really grew out of her games. What she did was so unforgiveable."

After encountering her today, I could just imagine what she had been like.

"Go on," I prompted quietly. I wanted to know. Not just because of curiosity, but because I wanted to know who I was dealing with. If I was going to be working for Lana, I wanted to be prepared.

"Lana was the Queen Bee at school. She was Homecoming Queen, Prom Queen— all of that stuff, you know? And up until junior year, Asher was her high school sweetheart. Everyone thought they were going to graduate together, get married, blah, blah, blah," her tone went sour at the last part, and she scowled.

"Anyway, they weren't just a normal couple. They were a serious power couple. They were hot, popular, and they knew how to play off of each other's strengths. Heck, even I was convinced at the time that they were destined to be together. They were both interested in filmmaking, and planned to attend UCLA together, do the same degree and all of that. But Lana had a secret side to her that nobody saw straight away. It was Asher who uncovered her true nature, and he could never forgive her for what she did. He loved her deeply, and she hurt him badly."

I was hooked onto Jade's every word. Her eyes were cold as she thought back on the memory.

"You see, Lana's manipulative," she continued, and I snorted.

"Somehow, I figured that out," I replied dully. "When I met her today, she cornered me in the elevator and threatened me."

"Well, yeah, she's that kind of person. But she always acted so sweet and innocent around us. Our parents adored her, you know? That kind of behaviour is how she grew such a large following online... through lies and manipulation."

"What did she do to Asher?" I asked, trying to steer her back to her point.

"She lied about her entire life, for the entirety of their relationship. They dated for three years, and Asher had gotten to know a completely fake person. It started when she told him she was getting abused at home, and he wanted to help her."

I could see the pain in Jade's eyes as she told me the story.

"He believed that he'd been the one to save her. He contacted a helpline on her behalf, and she said he gave her and her mom the courage to kick their dad out. After that, they started talking, and they fell hard for each other. But Asher didn't realise Lana was just using him to look good. She lied about having curfews and would often brush him off when they weren't at school. He never went to her house, though he always wanted to meet her family. Eventually, Asher realised there was something weird about it. One time he ran into her at the mall with a man, and he introduced himself as her dad. When she confronted her about it, she said he was just visiting and he was trying to guilt trip her with presents. But that was a lie too. He'd never left."

I frowned. "So, she's a compulsive liar?" I questioned, trying to follow along. "I mean, that's totally shitty, I get it. But are they seriously still feuding over something as small as that?"

"That was just the beginning," Jade said. "You see, they dated for three years, but they never... like, you know, did it. He wanted to, and she was always saying that she wanted to, and they'd send sexts and all sorts of dumb, immature stuff. She'd do this with dates too— say they were going to hang then bail at the last minute. This went on for months— constant teasing and being led on by her. Eventually, Asher snapped, said they either needed to talk about it or stop, because he couldn't take it anymore. So, Lana finally came over, but she chickened out at the last minute. They fought, she left... then she broke up with him a week later."

Jade took a deep breath.

"And then, he found out what had been really going on. All those texts and pictures I mentioned? She'd been using them to boost her popularity at school. She'd spread rumours around school that they'd been having passionate sex every week, using the sexts as proof, which isn't a big deal but back then it was, you know? And it made Asher mad, because he felt like he'd been used by her. And all this time he'd been trying to make it work with her, and she'd been the one messing him around. But she got the last word— she got to tell everyone a complete lie, and they all believed her."

"That's awful," I said, imagining how it must have felt for Asher.

"The lying was all just manipulation— to get noticed, to gain sympathy. None of it was real. In the end, Asher didn't know what to believe. He didn't know what part of those three years had been real and what hadn't been. It was a terrible relationship, mind you— I don't understand why he tried for so long. But at school, it always looked perfect from the outside. Maybe he was just as fooled by that image. I think he was so hopelessly in love, he was taking whatever scraps Lana threw his way and savouring them, in an attempt to salvage what he knew was a failing, one sided relationship."

"But if Lana got what she wanted, why does he hate Asher so much now?" I asked, completely confused.

"Well, Asher then retaliated," Jade replied, with a grimace. "He was confused and hurt at the time. He wasn't thinking straight— Lana had been working on a short film, which she was going to submit to a film festival. Asher knew this... and to get revenge, he stole the entry, submitted it from under her, and won. He received a ton of money, and got to go on this paid road trip, where he did a heap of vlogging. That's actually how he met Wesley— the two developed a genuine interest in vlogging, and Wesley introduced Asher to YouTube. Winning that film festival is what started Asher's career."

Realisation hit me.

"So Lana's angry because that should have been her," I said slowly, and Jade nodded.

"I mean, personally, I think it's karma. And I don't know why she's still so mad— as much as I hate the girl, she's got talent. She's got more subscribers than any of us, good content— she's doing well. And she started on YouTube after Asher did. So, I don't know what she's got to complain about, or be jealous about. But then again, I don't know why I expected any normal behaviour from her either— the girl is mental."

Jade sighed loosely.

"Anyway, that's what happened. The two have been competing ever since, and Lana's repeatedly tried to sabotage anyone who's aided Asher's success. She can't directly touch our videos, so she can only do publicity scandals. Though I have to say, she's done a number on us this time."

She looked down at her belly and grimaced.

"I was so stupid for getting involved with Nathan. I should have known better— should have seen it coming. But I didn't."

"Can I just ask—" I said quickly. "How did he get you pregnant? I mean, did you guys use...?"

"Of course we did!" she blurted quickly, her face incredulous. A sheepish expression crossed it, as she added, "But I'm not on the pill— I really struggle to take pills, and I've had bad reactions to other forms of contraception, so we only used condoms. Except Nathan really didn't like them, and one day he convinced me he'd stop in time... and then he didn't. And like I said, I can't take pills, so I couldn't take the morning after pill. He told me not to worry, that it was so rare that I'd get pregnant anyway— but of course I did, because that's how the world works."

She shook her head, like she still couldn't believe it, as we pulled up in a parking lot. My gaze flew to the Santa Monica Pier— it was so beautiful and dazzling against the night sky. A thrill went through me just looking at it, but I then remembered how horribly empty my wallet was.

So much for going on rides.

Jade stepped out of the car, and I followed her. We headed up a path towards the pier, our feet plodding on the weathered planks. There were so many people, and so many attractions, it was hard to focus on both Jade and the sights around me. This was my first time going to an attraction in LA.

"So, do you think you'll move in?" Jade asked suddenly. But I was distracted by the dazzle of the pier, that I didn't hear what she'd said, and it was only when I saw her questioning gaze that I realised.

"What?" I blurted, my cheeks burning up.

I almost expected her to be annoyed, but she laughed.

"You look like a child at a fair. I should buy you some candy floss to complete the look."

My mouth watered at the thought of candy floss, but I refrained from asking her to actually go and buy some. Besides, it was probably far too similar to that Dragon Frappe...

No— I wasn't going to start thinking about that. Not tonight.

"You know, I avoid that suburb you live in like the plague. You got some guts living in a place like that, " she added as we walked. We strode further to the left to watch two kids play whack-a-mole. Personally, I didn't find the kids all that fascinating, but maybe Jade's maternal instincts were kicking in or something.

"I didn't really realise it was that bad," I replied, in a small voice. It was a total lie— I'd known the second I'd gotten there that I was going to want five locks on the door, minimum, and had totally freaked out when I only found two. But the way she was looking at me... there was some kind of desperation there. I finally gathered enough courage to ask what had been on my mind for the past half an hour.

"Jade... why did you bring me all the way out here?"

She smiled widely.

"Because I wanted to go and have a fun night with someone," she replied, with a grin. "Also, my pregnancy cravings are kicking in and I'm desperate for some hot, greasy food."

I had to laugh. The two kids moved on, and the guy tending the game looked over at us.

"You ladies want to have a try?" he asked, and Jade winked at me.

"Two games, please," she replied, handing him some cash. She gave me an encouraging look, so I stepped up to play. He gave us two hammers, and a timer began, ringing shrilly in my ears.

The damn moles were fast— every time I thought I had one, it would slip away. Before I realised what was happening, a huge tension released from inside of me, and I was laughing right along with Jade, totally caught up in this insignificant game.

Neither of us won anything, but Jade didn't seem phased. She flicked her dark hair over her shoulder and pointed to another game.

"Come on— let's try that one!"

Two hours later, we'd played almost every game and been on several rides (only the ones Jade could get on while pregnant-- she paid my way, which was super kind), and it was nearing midnight. The two of us came stumbling off the pier in a fit of laughter, and I felt happier than I had in weeks.

I'd really missed having friends. More than I'd realised. It had been so long since I'd done something like this.

We walked back to her car, and she paused beside it, turning to me.

"We should definitely do this again sometime," she said. I smiled widely, and nodded.

"For sure!" I replied, and I meant it. "I had so much fun tonight!"

She hesitated, then offered me a sheepish look.

"You know... every day could be like this if you moved in with us. I swear, I'm not trying to pressure you— well, okay, I am. But look, the boys really like you. And I like you too. Especially after what you told Connor— anyone who's willing to give up a job opportunity when they're on the verge of eviction, just to defend me... they're a friend, without question. I would hate for something bad to happen to you living in that suburb."

I breathed out, but it was a slow, steady breath. The truth was... I did want to move in. I did want to have more nights like this. I wanted to be around Jade, and Connor and Kurt. I liked them, too. I'd been determined enough to stick it out on my own here, but not knowing anyone... and being completely alone... it wasn't easy. I was used to living with Daniel, or my parents.

I hated to admit it, but I was kind of lonely.

"What about the job?" I asked quietly. She rolled her eyes.

"Take the job, Wren," she insisted, with a smile. "Only if you want to, of course. But I'm not going to hate you. If anything, it would be helpful to have a heads up every time they plan a sabotage tactic. And I promise you, we will all have your back. No matter what happens. Ultimately, we want to keep you in that job, so we'll do whatever it takes to avoid you getting caught. But if they do catch you, and fire you, then don't stress. We'll support you, and if no one else hires you, you can babysit for me or something. We'll work something out, I swear it to you."

I couldn't help the smile that formed on my lips, as relief sagged through my body. Slowly, the weight of my problems lifted, and I felt free as a butterfly.

I almost started crying, it was that overwhelming.

"Now come on— let's get you home," Jade said, opening her car door. "And tomorrow, I'll send Asher to help you with your furniture."

"What about my lease?" I asked. "I've got a three-month contract. Unless, you know, I get evicted."

"We'll break it. Find out how much it will cost, and we'll put some money together to help you."

"I'll pay you guys back," I promised, but she waved off my comment.

"No, you won't, because spying on Lana is payment enough as far as we're concerned. Seriously— we're in your debt."

***

Thank you so much for reading!

The next update will be on the 14th February <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...