World's Apart

By klutzy17

All Jack knew was that he loved her...and one day, any way he could, no matter what it took, he'd make it bac... More

Here In Your Arms
A Long Way From Home
In His Wake
Yesterday's Tomorrow
The Two Of Us
Unexpected
Together Again
For Old Times Sake
A Night To Remember
Farewell Kisses
The Wheel Keeps Turning
Back To Square One
Bye Bye Birdy
The Waiting Game
As The Snow Falls
Christmas Kisses
One More Good Day
Right Back At It
Auld Lang Syne (Part 1)
Auld Lang Syne (Part 2)
Yesterday's History
The Phone Call
Fools Gold
A Mother's Words
Through The Rain
Complication
I Will Love You
A Lesson in Love
The Last Time
Till Death Do Us Part
Old Friend
Into War
Flight Of His Life
An Ocean Of Blue
Forgotten Shoes
Living Nightmare
No News is Good News
The Love Of Two Hearts
The Long Night
J Is For...
By And By
Jack
Jack II
Jack III
Love, Lies And Death
In Minds Eye
Her
New Beginnings
*Sequel*

Winter Wishes

1.1K 38 1
By klutzy17

The next morning they had awoke and found themselves still laying on the sofa from the night before. Their legs were entwined and Jack's arms still held Ali close to him.

As they rose from their sleep, their bodies ached from the night spent on the sofa. It was still early, his parents were still in bed and the house around them was quiet.

"Good morning," Jack yawned as Ali sat up and stretched.

"Good morning," She hummed back sleepily. 

Jack stroked his fingertips up and down her back as he lay on the sofa. A warm tingle shivered through Ali and she smiled at him lazily as she adjusted to waking up.

"What are we doing today?" Ali asked.

"Anything you want my love," He leaned up and craned his neck to see through the window as he brushed the curtain aside. "A day in the snow perhaps?" 

Ali grinned "You read my mind,"

It was white all around them as they walked hand in hand through their favourite field. The long grass and wild flowers had gone for the winter and instead a cold white blanket of snow lay before them. It was quiet outside, not even the familiar shriek of the seagulls could be heard today. When they reached the middle of the field Ali, still clutching Jack's hand, did a twirl. He smiled adoringly at her as she twirled round and around.

"You're crazy Ali," Jack laughed, his hand holding hers above her head as she continued to spin.

She thudded against his chest and he caught her just as she lost balance. The two of them tumble backwards, Ali landing on top of Jack. They shriek but break into laughter as they hit the soft ground.

Ali's hair falls in front of her face as she laughs. Her musical laughter captivates Jack and he watches her, tucking her blonde hair behind her ear. Her eyes meet his as his fingers caress her cheek.

"Why are you staring?" Ali whispers.

"Because you are beautiful Ali Dawes," 

Ali blushes and casts her eyes down, her cheeks reddening at his words.

"And because I couldn't wish to be anywhere else with you right now," he adds.

Ali nods before she lays down beside him in the snow. His arm curls around her, hugging her close as she drapes her leg across his.

"Do you remember the first time I told you I loved you?" Jack hums from beside her. His eyes are fixed on the pale blue sky above.

Ali hugs herself close to him, her head against his chest "How could I forget," 

"Come on Ali, it's your turn!" Charlie called.

Ali groaned as the other three laughed. She plodded towards Charlie, her knees lifted high as she waded through the tall grass. 

"Turn around," he grinned as he tied the black piece of material around Ali's face, covering her eyes. "Can you see?" he asked and Ali shook her head.

"Okay, give us ten seconds,"  she heard Emily shout as the three of them rushed off through the long grass.

"Okay, ten, nine, eight..." Ali counted out loud. The sound of the rustling grass grew more distant as the others ran and hid.

"Seven, six, five, four..." Ali pivoted on the spot trying to listen out for any of them nearby. 

"Three, two, one. I'm coming!" Ali called out in a playful voice.

Without removing the blindfold from her eyes, Ali stretched her hands out in front of her and slowly padded across the field. The long grass brushed and tickled the skin on her legs. Ali moved slowly as she listened for the sound of her friends nearby.

A rustle of the grass to her right.

Ali turns sharply and walks more quickly in that direction. The sound is getting closer and she hurries. She has definitely found somebody because she can hear them scurrying away from her.

"Hey you're not allowed to move, that's cheating!" Ali protests.

She continues to hurry before suddenly she collides with a thud into another body. She falls down onto the ground, landing on the soft body of the person underneath her. Ali whips off the blindfold to see Jack grinning up at her. His bright blue eyes are playful and his crooked smile sends the butterflies in her stomach soaring.

"I found you," Ali teases.

"Yeah and tackled me to the floor,"

"Hey that was your fault for running away and cheating," Ali laughs, playfully slapping him as she slides off him and sits down amongst the tall grass.

"Oh so I'm a cheat am I?" Jack grabs Ali by the waist and tickles her sides.

Ali shrieks and uncontrollable giggles escapes her as she falls down and rolls around in the grass. Jack is laughing too, he continues to tickle her, her sides, her neck, her stomach. 

"Jack....stop....stop," Ali chokes, her words coming out in short gasps.

Jack stops and lays on his side beside Ali, his head resting on his hand. Ali's face is flushed red and her blonde hair is wild and messy. Her breathing is quick as she pants through lingering laughter.

Jack watches her with amusement in his eyes. She turns, her eyes meeting his.

"I hate you," she pouts, but a smile plays at the corner of her lips.

"Oh you hate me?" Jack muses as he raises his eyebrows at her.

Ali huffs "Yep, I hate you Jack Collins," the smile is now wide across her face.

"I don't believe you," Jack says, grinning at her.

"And why's that?" she challenges.

"I think you're in love with me really," 

Ali's eyes widen and she laughs lightly "Please, and why would you think that?" 

Jack's eyes search hers, he laughs lightly but then a serious look becomes him "Because I love you," 

"What?" She breathes.

"I love you," he repeats, his face moving closer to hers.

"Really, really?" her eyes alight as she watches him.

"Really, really," he says again before gently pressing his lips to hers. 

The feeling is strange to Ali but it fills her with a sweet tingling sensation and she smiles against his lips before kissing him back.

When he pulls away he hovers above her, his face inches from hers. Her sea green eyes twinkle as they fall upon his face.

"I love you too Jack," Ali breathes and Jack's eyes widen in disbelief.

"Do you really?" He says in awe.

Ali nods "Really, really..."

"Do you really remember that day?" Jack asks from beside her.

Ali lifts up and leans over him, her eyes meeting his as she places a hand against his chest "Really, really," she whispers.

Jack smiles brightly at her, his eyes glinting against the white snow as he watches her face. 

"Now get up Collins, I'm frozen here!" Ali nudges him playfully as she stands and helps pull Jack to his feet.

"Yes Miss Dawes," Jack salutes her as she dusts the snow off her coat.

Ali looks all around the field before placing both her hands on her hips and looking back to Jack "Shall we build a snowman?"

The two of them stayed in the field all afternoon. The undisturbed snow was now a mess of footprints and uneven mounds as snow had been scooped, shovelled and compacted. They had rolled out Albert the snow man and he was standing tall in the centre of the field. They had found two big stones for his eyes and several smaller ones of his mouth and Jack had tied his red woollen scarf around his neck. Afterwards they had engaged in a very serious and competitive snowball fight which ended in Ali receiving a snow ball directly to the face. The melting snow had dripped down her coat and she had screamed when it hit her skin, chilling her instantly.

"I'm sorry Ali," Jack had laughed as he rushed over to assist her.

Ali scowled at him "It got inside my coat!" She squealed. 

Jack laughed then "Can I make it up to you?" 

Ali shrugged "Maybe," she teased.

Jack thought for a moment before he hurried away from her. Ali watched him in confusion as he dragged his feet through the snow, he moved in a circle around her, dragging his feet hard as he moved.

"What are you doing?" Ali quizzed.

"Showing you I'm sorry," he laughed. "There," He held his arms out proudly.

Ali eyed the ground curiously and turned on the spot looking all around her. Jack had drawn a huge heart shape in the snow around her.

She looked back over at him as he walked towards her. His arms snaked around her waist and he pulled her close to him.

"Am I forgiven now?" he hums as he leans his forehead against hers.

Ali purses her lips "Hmm," she teases "I think I can manage it," 

A playful crooked smile plays on his lips before he leans down and kisses her gently. Ali leans into the kiss, lifting up onto her tip toes.

"You're forgiven" She whispers once the kiss has broke apart.

As the two of them walk back towards Ali's house arm in arm a comfortable silence falls around them. The afternoon was drawing to an end and the evening sky was starting to roll in.

"I don't want today to end," Ali says breaking the silence.

Jack gives her hand a comforting squeeze "Me either," 

"Must you go back tomorrow?" Ali whines softly.

Jack sighs and nods "Yes my love. Although I fear I am to return tonight," 

Ali stops walking, her eyes fixed on Jack who has turned to face her "Tonight?"

Jack nods slowly "I've managed to get a lift back to the Base, save getting the train again in this weather," he explains.

Ali nods slowly, a sad expression consumes her face.

"I'm so sorry my love. If I could stay, I would," Jack touches a delicate hand to her cheek.

A single tear rolls down Ali's cheek and his thumb sweeps across her cheek, wiping it away.

"Oh my dearest Ali, please don't cry," 

Ali squeezes her eyes shut, forcing the tears back. She takes a deep breath before opening her eyes again. They are glossy and wet but she manages a smile and squeezes Jack's hand reassuringly. 

"I'm not crying my love," she says back quietly and starts walking again.

Jack stands still watching her for a few short moments. His hand fiddles inside his pocket and butterflies turn wildly in his stomach as he watches her trudge through the snow.

"Ali!" he calls after her, jogging to be beside her.

She stops and looks at him, now suddenly in front of her. He takes her hand in his and smiles brightly.

"Ali," he breathes.

"You and I have known each other since we were children and I loved you even then. These last few years with you have been so special to me and I cannot picture my life in this world with out you. Being away from you these past months has driven me crazy and it has made me realise even more how much I need you-" 

"Jack what are you doing?" Ali stutters.

"I guess what I'm trying to say to you Ali is, I love you more than anything," Jack reaches into his pocket and bends down onto one knee "Ali Dawes will you make me the happiest man on Earth and marry me?" 

Jack opens the small black jewellery box revealing the dainty gold band with a singular diamond.

Ali pulls her hands to her face, her eyes wide and watching Jack. She nods, slowly at first but then quickly. 

"Yes!" She breathes "Yes of course!" 

Jack stands and Ali jumps into his arms, lifting her feet from the ground. She hugs her arms around his neck and he wraps his arms around her.

When he sets her back on the ground he gently pushes the beautiful ring onto her finger. Ali holds out her hand, admiring the diamond as it twinkles against the snow. A wide grin of amazement is plastered on her face.

"I love you Jack Collins," she breathes.

He flashes her his beautiful crooked smile "Do you really?"

Ali takes his hands in hers and kisses them both "Really, really," 

A/N: Ahh this makes me so happy! Ali and Jack fluff! Thank you all again for the reads, means a lot! I didn't think anybody would read this haha!     R.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.2K 5.1K 50
| COMPLETED | ~ | Chapters are being Edited | #Wattys2020 ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•~~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~• He was a soldier, running towar...
79.8K 1.3K 27
In which two young souls vow to protect one another from the wrecking endurance known as war.
70.5K 5.1K 62
I survived the war, but I'm afraid I've entered another one just by making it home. *** Warning: Strong Language, Mature Themes and War Violence thro...
150K 5.4K 42
*COMPLETED* 1941-1945 A two-part story about love in times of war. * "It is still you... It has always been you, Grace"