Living the Moment ♡ Nathan Sc...

By MrsNOBrien

Lucas Scott's best friend Claudia Stone has been staying with him for a year now after her parents left to go... More

♡C H A R A C T E R S / Book Cover ♡
♡ PLOT ♡
Prologue ♡
Winner Takes All ♡
The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most ♡
Are You True? ♡
Crash Into You ♡
Every Night is Another Story ♡
Life in a Glass House ♡
The Search for Something More ♡
With Arms Outstretched
You Gotta Go There to Come Back
The Living Years
Crash Course in Polite Conversations (extra long chapter + A/N)
Hanging by a Moment, I Shall Believe
Suddenly Everything has Changed
The First Cut is the Deepest
Spirit in the Night
Movies and Romance?
To Wish Impossible Things
How Can you be Sure?
What Is and What Should Never Be
The Leaving Song
The Games That Play Us
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
100k READS
(it's giving Nathan and Claudia) My Pride Dies In The End

All That You Can't Leave Behind ♡

10.5K 177 31
By MrsNOBrien

Claudia went to the kitchen to get herself some chocolate, but as she walked past Lucas's room, he stood at the door waiting for her.

"Claudia. How long are we going to do this?" Lucas asked as he followed Claudia into the kitchen. Claudia didn't look at him as she opened the cupboard.

"Do what?" Claudia asked, trying to sound oblivious.

"Avoid each other." Lucas replied and Claudia closed the cupboard door and turned to face him.

"You tell me. You're the one upset." Claudia asked placing the chocolate on the counter before she folded over her arms.

"And you're the one who lied to me." Lucas replied, he was smart.

"I don't know what to say to you, Luke." Claudia confessed.

"Just explain to me why you were with Nathan. Huh? I mean, considering the past few weeks and what he's done..." Lucas rambled on before Claudia cut him off.

"I can't." Claudia admitted, she didn't want to tell Lucas she was doing it for him. She never wanted him to find out because she felt it would make him want to stop basketball.

"You know how I feel about him, Claudia." Lucas said as he started to leave the kitchen.

"Lucas, fine! Yes. I know how you feel about him. But there is something you don't know." Claudia shouted dramatically causing Lucas to turn around. "I promised him I'd tutor him if he left you alone." Claudia whispered slightly, Lucas raised an eyebrow at her.

"What?" Lucas asked, he was shocked by what Claudia had just said, the tears were streaming down her face. 

"I'm doing it for you, Luke." Claudia said before she walked up to the backdoor. She slammed in behind her. She took out her phone and wrote a text message.

To Nathan:

I can't tutor you anymore. It's not you, it's me.

Claudia 

'It's not you, it's me? Really Claudia!' She mentally thought to herself as she deleted the message and continued to walk down the street. She ended up in Haley's bedroom.

"Why is he so annoyed with me?" Claudia groaned as she flopped down on Haley's bed. Haley was sitting at her desk laughing at her friend.

"Might be because you are tutoring his half brother and worst enemy?" Haley suggested sarcastically and Claudia groaned louder. Haley turned around to face her best friend. "Look Claude. He will forgive you." Haley said comfortingly. Claudia shook her head.

"I told him I did it for him and I don't know how he took it." Claudia replied fidgeting with the bracelet Nathan got her. Haley sat on the bed beside her and picked up Claudia's arm where the bracelet was.

"Tacky bracelet, who gave you it?" Haley asked and Claudia sat there silently. "You are wearing a bracelet Nathan got you!" Haley shouted and Claudia came up silently smiling at Haley. "Stop digging yourself a hole and speak to Lucas!" Haley shouted pointing to the door. Claudia gave her a pleading look and Haley shook her head. "You know I love you." Haley smiled as Claudia reached the door.

"Weird way of showing it." Claudia replied jokingly and Haley laughed along.

Claudia's shift was ending at Karen's Cafe. After the shift she had dreaded cheer practice. Lucas was sitting at the counter reading a newspaper. Claudia walked to the counter and stared at Lucas.

"I'm an idiot." Lucas stated and Claudia nodded her head as she poured coffee in his cup.

"I know." Claudia replied laughing a little.

"I'm sorry." Lucas said smiling slightly, before pausing. "I miss hanging out with you, Claudia." Lucas confessed and Claudia nodded her head.

"Yeah. I miss hanging out with you too." Claudia replied smiling at him.

"Listen. I appreciate everything you did for me. I do, Claudia, but- how about you let me handle the team from now on, okay?" Lucas asked and Claudia nodded her head.

"Okay." Claudia said before walking over to a table to collect the money, Lucas spun on the chair so he was facing her.

"So you can... stop tutoring Nathan now." Lucas suggested and Claudia shook her head before walking over to him.

"Um, no. I, I can't." Claudia replied like it was obvious. As she walked over to the cash register and stuck the money in. Haley walked in through the door, to cover the rest of Claudia's shift.

"Claudia." Lucas stated and Claudia shook her head as she took her apron off and grabbed her bag from under the counter.

"Lucas. I can't. I promised him. If I break that promise, I'm, I'm just as bad as... you think he is." Claudia explained before smiling at Haley. "Thank you for covering you are a life saver!" Claudia exclaimed at Haley before leaving the cafe.

They had been practicing for about an hour, before the boys came in to play basketball. Claudia kept on trying to catch Lucas's eye, but he refused to look at her. Before the actually began to practice Nathan walked up to Claudia. Lucas watched his every move.

"Hey Claudia, I thought for tutoring I could just give you a lift to my house, make it early so I can get more practicing in?" Nathan suggested, everyone looked over at her.

"Yeah sure. I can watch friends whenever." Claudia replied, acting like it was nothing. Nathan just nodded his head, he was away to continue the conversation and talk about the almost kiss but Whitey walked into the gym.

"Scott, stop flirting with the cheerleaders! Get your ass over here!" Whitey shouted and Claudia just laughed.

"You better go take your flirtiness over to Dim. I think he would like that." Claudia joked, Nathan smirked before Nathan leaned in a little.

"If I can recall, you were the one who wanted to kiss me." Nathan replied smugly before he ran over to join the other boys. Lucas scoffed as he looked over at them. Claudia turned her attention to Brooke.

"From the top!" Brooke shouted and the girls got into position.

"Here we go! Ravens, lets score!" The Cheerleaders began to say in unison but Brooke stopped them.

"Wait! Hold on, Peyton, you've got the arms wrong." Brooke corrected, everyone looked at Peyton.

"It's not brain surgery, Brooke." Peyton retorted and Claudia started to laugh but she stopped.

"Okay, what's with the attitude?" Brooke asked offended. 

"What's with your life? Seriously, aren't you embarrassed that the most important thing in your world is some stupid cheer?" Peyton scoffed, Claudia decided to stand still and just listen. Normally she would have jumped in but she thought it wasn't her place.

"Look, I'm really sorry things didn't work out with you and Nathan, but don't go all Mariah on me, okay?" Brooke asked in her usual bitchy tone.

"You think this is about Nathan?" Peyton shouted. "You're not even close! You're not even in the neighborhood of close!" Peyton screamed dramatically, Claudia stood there awkwardly. Claudia really just wanted to leave, but she didn't know how to. She wondered if Peyton found out about the almost kiss.

"Okay, then, what's wrong?" Brooke asked sternly, it wouldn't have mattered if Peyton told Brooke because at this point it would go out one ear and out the other.

"What's wrong is how... pointless all of this is." Peyton shouted.

"Stop saying that!" Brooke shouted obviously annoyed, Peyton's sudden outburst had everyone in the gym looking at her- even Whitey. 

"No! Because it's true. What difference does it make if you sleep with a popular guy, or you go to the right party, or you know the moves to some moronic cheer to do with some lame-ass game I could care less about!" Peyton rambled angrily before storming off, Claudia looked at the boys who were staring.

"Should we continue practice?" Claudia asked and Brooke nodded her head. 

"Let's go Ravens!" The cheerleaders shouted as Claudia kicked her leg up high.

___

(Claudia's Outfit and Hair)

Practice was over and Claudia had changed back into her actual clothes. Nathan was standing outside the girls locker room. 

"You actually waited?" Claudia asked smiling as she threw her bag over her shoulder. Nathan laughed walking up to Claudia.

"You're surprised." Nathan laughed and Claudia laughed. 

"I guess you learn something new everyday." Claudia replied as they walked out of the school together. They reached Nathan's car. "So you excited for the father sons basketball thingy?" Claudia asked as they got into the car. Nathan just shrugged.

"I mean we are going to win anyway." Nathan replied as he started the car.

"Ahh that's the Nathan I know." Claudia whispered jokingly. "It must be fun playing with your dad." Claudia stated and Nathan just laughed.

"Have you met Dan Scott?" Nathan asked jokingly.

"Sadly." Claudia laughed.

"You see what I mean." Nathan replied and Claudia turned up the music. She accidentally left a mix tape in Nathan's car. "Also you seriously need to stop leaving your things in my car." Nathan replied and Claudia just laughed.

"No." She replied. "I mean you should listen to my music it is great." Claudia laughed as they got to Nathan's.  She jumped out of the jeep and they walked into his house. Nathan did a test and Claudia graded it. She had a weak smile on her face.

"The good news is you did better." Claudia said cheerfully and Nathan looked at her. "And the bad news is better is a D." Claudia then said and Nathan just looked at the paper.

"Yeah. I guess I didn't really give this one my best shot." Nathan muttered, he was obviously down.

"What's going on with you?" Claudia asked, one it could make him feel better and two she was just nosey.

"Well. You know me and Peyton broke up." Nathan replied illiterately.

"Peyton and I." Claudia corrected.

"Oh. She broke up with you too?" Nathan replied and Claudia smiled at him. "Just... I didn't know she was going to take it this hard. She went off on Brooke at practice. I'm kinda worried about her." Nathan continued in a concerning voice. Claudia exposed a subtle laugh.

"Well, maybe you should've worried more about her when you were together." Claudia confessed and Nathan gave her the 'look'. "I'm sorry, but come on, it's true." Claudia exclaimed.

"No! You don't know the first thing about Peyton and I." Nathan shouted back and Claudia couldn't help but correct him.

"Me and Peyton." Claudia said which just ticked Nathan off more.

"Whatever." He replied, Claudia grabbed her books and stuffed them in her bag.

"Okay so we are done for today. This has been not bad but not fun." Claudia stated as she walked to his kitchen door, she was away to leave but Nathan spoke up.

"God you know how to make a guy smile." Nathan muttered sarcastically, Claudia opened up the front door.

"It's a blessing." She laughed before walking out of his house. Claudia was thanking god because it was not awkward and Nathan did not bring up the almost kiss. It meant nothing to Claudia and was just a semi-drunk mistake.

It was the next day and Claudia was sitting with Nathan in his kitchen, she graded his test. She looked up at Nathan who sat their silently.

"Still in denial?" Claudia asked starting a conversation.

"About what?" Nathan asked oblivious, Claudia continued to mark his paper.

"Missing her. It's okay that you do." Claudia replied in a comforting voice.

"What... are you my tutor or my shrink?" Nathan joked around and Claudia looked at him smiling.

"Whatever you need." Claudia replied.

"I treated Peyton pretty bad. She had every right to walk away. Okay, yeah, it was my fault. I screwed up. I just wish I had another chance." Nathan confessed as Claudia placed the cap lid back on the pen.

"Nice work." Claudia smiled and Nathan scoffed.

"That was the truth." Nathan replied and Claudia laughed before showing 

"No. On your practice exam. 81." Claudia replied and Nathan just smiled at his score. Claudia placed her books in her bag before she stood up.

"You know, it's funny. I think we've actually talked more than Peyton and I ever did." Nathan said looking at Claudia who was walking towards the kitchen door.

"Peyton and I... good job." Claudia smiled, she felt happy with herself.

"Yeah, you too." Nathan said as Claudia reached the door. "Hey... are you coming to the game?" Nathan asked and Claudia turned to face him.

"Um, well, it depends on how you do on your English exam. Anything less than an 81, I'm staying home and write some songs." Claudia laughed and Nathan smiled at her cuteness.

"Alright, you write songs?" Nathan asked and Claudia nodded her head. Claudia opened up the door. "Claudia?" Nathan asked and Claudia turned back around to face him. "I know this hasn't been easy for you. I just wanted to say thanks." Nathan said, a warm feeling blossomed in Claudia's stomach.

"Good luck." She blushed before closing the door behind her.

Lucas was sitting in the living room as Claudia walked in from tutoring Nathan, she dropped her bag on the floor and climbed over the couch so she was sitting next to Lucas.

"Hey." Lucas said awkwardly. Lucas saw that Claudia was not wearing any shoes. Claudia hated the concept of shoes, she loved walking around barefoot. If she could all the time then she would.

"Hey." Claudia stated looking in front of her. She turned to face Lucas putting on leg under the other. "I really don't want to be like this, Luke." Claudia said looking at Lucas sad.

"What is that?" Lucas asked.

"This." Claudia stated pointing at the both of them. "Us skirting around each other. I mean, we're friends. You know, when you wanted to join the team, I didn't understand it and I told you that, but I supported you." Claudia explained and Lucas nodded his head.

"I know." He said and Claudia pointed at him.

"So... support me!" She exclaimed trying to get Lucas to understand it from her point of view. "When I'm tutoring someone, and they get it, and that light goes on, I feel good! I feel worthy. The same way that you feel when you play basketball. Besides, having things gotten better for you? The team's left you alone, the hazing's stopped?" Claudia asked and Lucas stayed silent. "Yeah. So, that's worth the risk for me. What's not worth the risk it us. We're friends and that is important to me." Claudia smiled and Lucas raised an eyebrow at her.

"You're just tutoring him?" Lucas asked and Claudia nodded her head frantically.

"I am just tutoring him. That's it." Claudia replied and Lucas smiled at her.

"Okay." Lucas said and the best friends hugged.

___

Claudia and Haley were walking into the gym together. Claudia in her cheerleading outfit with her hair in two pleats and Haley in her everyday clothes. Nathan ran up to the pair of them. 

"Got a sec?" Nathan asked looking at Claudia. Claudia looked at Haley.

"She's all yours." Haley stated before walking away from them.

 "What's up?" Claudia asked looking up at Nathan, since he was considerably taller than her. 

"Check that out." Nathan exclaimed, he was filled with pride. He held up the test so Claudia could see.

"An 84! That's so great." Claudia exclaimed and Nathan held out his arms for a hug. "Yeah, hey, congratulations!" Claudia smiled embracing in his warmth. Nathan looked straight at Lucas as they hugged. Claudia was completely oblivious.

Claudia was standing on the sidelines of the court. She looked over at Lucas who was practicing.

"Luke!" Claudia shouted, no reply. "Lucas!" She shouted again, Lucas didn't look at her. "Hey, Scott!" Claudia shouted smiling , both Scott brothers turn to face her. Lucas looks angry and Haley gestures to him, "What is wrong with you?" A whistle blows and they run to the side.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome to the Tree Hill Ravens' father and son charity basketball game. Tonight the fathers battle the sons and the winner gets bragging rights. Coming soon tonight, Ravens son league MVP Nathan Scott. And for the father's, the all-time even scorer in the history of Tree Hill, and state championship runner-up, put your hands together for Dan Scott!" The Announcer shouted, the crowd roared when Dan ran onto the court. The game had started, Claudia continued to cheer alongside the rest of the cheerleaders.

"Under a minute remaining now and the Ravens' sons are putting on a show. They've made a mockery out of this one. 28 point lead and they're running it in on the fathers... Lucas Scott spins the ball on his finger... over to Hamilton... Hamilton disgraces his father. Nathan Scott tries... scores and is left with an even 30 points at halftime." The Announcer shouted again, everyone laughed as the boys made the dad's look stupid. It was half time and they walked to their changing rooms. Claudia started to walk into the boys changing room's so she could speak to Lucas but Keith stopped her.

"Claudia Stone, last time I checked you weren't a boy." Keith laughed as Claudia held the door half open.

"Well you learn something new everyday." Claudia laughed as she quickly slipped into the locker room before Keith could stop her.

"Claudia Stone!" Keith shouted as he followed Claudia into the locker room. All the boys wondered why she was there, she leaned on the lockers, they stared her up and down. "Claudia Stone come on, get your english behind out of this locker room now." Keith stated as she walked in to see an angry Dan. "Hey. Come on, relax, little brother." Keith said to Dan, who wasn't happy.

"This isn't your place, Keith." Dan replied and Claudia watched.

"Well, it's not your place either, Dan. It's their game now. We should be proud they're so good." Keith supportively said.

"Like you had anything to do with it." Dan remarked.

"He had more than you." Claudia scoffed from the background, Dan turned to face her. He walked up to her.

"What did you say?" He asked pissed off, Claudia didn't flinch. She was away to talk back to him but Keith cut in. Lucas stood up from his seat and Nathan stepped closer to his dad. Claudia looked straight into Dan's eyes, she wasn't scared.

"You walk away, Danny." Keith stated sternly, Dan turned to face Nathan.

"Lets see what you got." Dan stated to Nathan before he walked out of the locker room.

"Any of you give me your best game and, uh, I'm gonna hurt you." Keith joked around with the team, everyone laughed, everyone loved Keith. Keith turned to face Nathan. "Hey, you're doing fine." Keith stated as he patted Nathan's back. "Now Claudia leave the locker room, your dad will kill me." Keith joked around and Claudia pointed to Lucas.

"I just need to speak to Lucas." Claudia stated and Keith laughed slightly. He loved the determination and drive this girl had.

"You have two minutes, Lucas hurray up and speak to her." Keith warned and Claudia pretended to salute him. "Also Claudia put on shoes!" Keith shouted as he left and Claudia laughed. Claudia walked past all the boys and grabbed Lucas's hand. They walked out of locker room and into the hallway.

"Luke. Are you mad at me? What's going on?" Claudia asked frantically, she hated how Nathan was getting in between them.

"I don't want to talk about it right now." Lucas stated and Claudia shook her head.

"Okay, can you just tell me what I did, please?" Claudia begged looking at Lucas.

"I saw you with him." Lucas replied coldly.

"Who Nathan?" Claudia asked and Lucas stayed quiet. "God, he got a good grade on that math quiz. It was nothing." Claudia exclaimed as they boys ran out of the locker room. 

"I want to believe you, Claude. I do. But I don't think you're telling the truth." Lucas replied and Claudia looked sad.

"I'm am telling the truth Lucas. There's nothing going on." Claudia replied, she herself didn't know fi she was telling the truth or not. Lucas looked at the bracelet.

"Nice bracelet." Lucas remarked before he ran off. Claudia grumpily stomped to the cheerleaders. 

"Well folks, an impressive showing for Dan Scott. The kids are just too much. What do you say we make this interesting? Lets make the score 0-0, and the next basket wins." The Announcer, shouted. Nathan had the ball and he ran up to the basket. Dan knocked him down on the ground. Claudia gasped loudly. Lucas helped Nathan up which made Claudia smile. "Well, good news, folks. Nathan seems to be okay. And the Ravens sons still have a crack at it... Lucas Scott hands the ball to Nathan. He drives- ooh! He drops the ball. It's moving. That will create a turnover. The fathers have a crack at it. Looks like its payback time." The Announcer commentated. Nathan stepped back and allowed Dan to shoot, which he does. Everyone is stunned.

"You didn't beat me, Dad. You never will." Nathan said loud enough for everyone to hear. Nathan stormed off past the shocked faces. Claudia felt bad for him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.6K 1.4K 12
ONE TREE HILL / i'd be home with you, i'd be home with you book 1/1 - on hold w/ writers block season 1-3 ©-aaronhtchnrs
66.8K 1K 22
A lot has happened to Nathan and Claudia in four years, six months and two days. Nathan came so close to the NBA, Claudia won a Brit and hasn't recor...
4.3K 114 27
One tree Hill is a small town in North Carolina. Nathan Scott is a juinor at the local high school and plays on the star basketball team his best fri...
1K 24 17
Ricky Scott is son of Dan and twin of Nathan. Ricky however has a relationship with his half brother Lucas. Unlike Nathan. Ricky plays basketball wi...