Trying Our Best - Carl Grimes...

By timeofjuly

COVER BY- XFINITYBIEBER |||| WARNINGS: STRONG LANGUAGE [DISCONTINUED?] tell me if you want to have it conti... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
A/N
@Tagged@
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
@Tagged@
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Fan Account
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 20

132 6 4
By timeofjuly

Chapter Twenty:

The rain was still pouring from the darkened grey sky that seemed to roll and rumble with the wind. I lifted myself up from the wet metal surface of the truck and started to climb out using the large tire. Before I let myself drop, I grabbed my soaked bag  As soon as my sneaker clad feet hit the asphalt ground, feeling the loose pebbles rolling underneath, I looked back from where we came.

The old house was almost fully visible from where I stood or it could have been any of our old neighbors. My body was tugged towards the main focus, a three story building. Most likely a house at some point during the baby boomer era but it has since become an apartment building.

"This building isn't really on the list but we're hoping to find something in the rooms. I assume there are three above floors obviously but a place like this would most likely have a basement. So, I think I should take the upper most floor, Sasha takes the second floor and then Carl and Y/N take the ground level. Wait for the basement if there's one." Michonne assumed the position the leader and less is on it the old building.

Trying to avoid my past just down the street, I rushed towards the door assuming it was open. It wasn't and the momentum of me running into the door threw me down, almost down the few stone steps that led to the doorway.

"Oof." That was the only sound that was heard from my body while the rest was laughter from the others.

"Following in my footsteps I see. I did the same thing while we were on the road." Carl chipped in through the laughter, reminiscing his past.

"I don't remember you ever doing that Carl." Michonne said as she grabbed my right forearm, allowing me to get up.

"It was, what, a day before you found my dad and I." While the three out of four was focusing on my mishap, the fourth was working on the locks of the door.

"It's open. Be ready." Sasha stated.

I saw Michonne grab hold of her katana, Carl grasping his gun in his hands while Sasha aimed her sniper at the door. I grabbed my gun from my waistband but still felt unsure. Shooting was still not in my books of talents. Michonne and I were placed on the duty of opening the door, while the gunning experts of the group were placed in front of the doorway. Carl and Sasha waited for whatever was near the doorway to come out as I opened the door slowly.

As nothing came from within, not a dead one or not even a noise, I opened the door fully peaking in. The door just lead into a small space that occupied another door. Still wanting to avoid what laid down the street only a few minutes walk away, I went to open the latter door that would let us enter the building. This time the door opened without a budge and it revealed an empty hallway. The only things that littered the hall were old papers and various household items.

I cocked my gun as I entered the door, turning my head only to be brought to another door. After I entered the building, the others piled in quickly.

"What the fuck was that Y/N? Do you know what could have been- Nevermind we can talk about this later." Carl whispered harshly as he joined me near the steps. The stair case sat in the middle of the hallway. And there about three doors on each side of the walls.

"Carl, Y/N away from the stairs. You're doing the ground level. Check the rooms together or at least stay near each other. We'll meet up back here unless there's complications. Good? Good." Nothing else was said as Sasha trotted up the stairs and Michonne one more than Sasha.

The only noises heard were the sounds of doors opening, creaking stairs and a few low groans. "They sound weak. But I can't tell we're they're coming from. They could be down here or they could just be coming from the vents."

Carl agreed, "Yeah so do just want to rooms separately but the rooms be next to each other?"

I nodded as I headed towards the nearest door, which happened to be on the right side. "See you in a few." I grasped the door, jiggling it a few times before the door opened.

The door opened to a small living room area, that had a quarter of it taken up by a small kitchen area. I headed over to the small strip of countertop that was included in the kitchen. There was a glass bowl that had brown tiny lumps, nine outdated paychecks for water bills and an envelope opener. Inside the cabinets that were above held only useless things compared to what I needed. Cups, bowls, and plates was all that I found.

I searched through the lower cabinets, found one can of sliced pineapples and two cans of kidney beans. I placed the cans I got in my still soaked bag and continued to search the apartment. The living room held nothing of value so I moved on through the two other rooms. One bedroom and a bathroom.

As I thought, the bedroom held nothing of value either so the bathroom was the last hope for some more supplies. I gripped the doorknob, only to turn it and have nothing happen. I took a small breath as I prepared to shoulder hit the door. The door groaned opened soon after the second try.

I emerged into the small room only to find blood stains cover the walls. Small hand prints plastered on the wall, all leading to the bathtub. Instead of finding what horrible things that lay inside the tub, I open the cabinet under the sink. I took a quick note of what was inside and grabbed what deemed necessary to take. Just as I pulled the door open, the mystery behind the bathtub wouldn't leave my head.

I sauntered over, I slowly grabbed the blood soaked shower curtain and tugged it to the left. Without realizing my eyes were closed, I opened them. Wishing I never had the trait of curiosity, I screamed at the sight and ran out of the bathroom and the whole apartment itself. I slid down the wooden wall in the hall and just sat.

I let myself catch my breath before I walked further down the hall to the last apartment on the right side. This door was already open when I reached it. I secured my bag onto my shoulders, cocked my gun once more as I step foot inside the area.

I turned the corner into the kitchenette area only to run into a body. With neither of us falling to the ground, I hurriedly tried to back away only to have familiar hands grab a hold of my waist. "Was that you that screamed? I was just going to see where you were actually."

"Yeah it was me Carl. I just saw something quite unpleasant to the eyes. I'd rather not talk about it right now and I would not suggest you go and see it either." I stuttered out, still surprised by running into Carl and what was rotting away inside the bathroom.

"I'll take your word for it. I already went through this dump, nothing expect for a can of pinto beans. And some dry throw up next to a knife. Didn't grab the knife though. We should finish up the rooms, you wanna do the next one together?"

"Yeah- yes. Sure sounds great Carl. Thanks." I kept the sentence short still having my head focused on what I saw. "No problem."

The one eyed beauty lost his grip on my waist, but then places his left hand with my right. As we both walked out of the confined and messy area, our arms started to swing gradually. We reached the first door on the left side and had to do little to open the cracking door.

This apartment was no different than the others, a small living room followed by a smaller kitchen, one hallway that lead to a bedroom and a bathroom. We split up, Carl taking the living room and the bathroom leaving me with taking the rest.

I scoured through the cabinets in the kitchen, finding nothing but dirty dishes. The bedroom held nothing of desire to me other than a poster of an old favorite show of mine, F.R.I.E.N.D.S. But I left the wilting piece of paper behind and met up with Carl outside in the hall.

"Hey Y/N we could split up for the last two. So we can get this done and count what we have you know?"

"Yeah sure. It's a plan, I'll see you in a bit then." I walked over to Carl, turning his head slightly and kissing his cheek. "Don't hurt yourself."

I spun around and headed towards my last room, leaving behind a smiling boy. The last door jolted open as I pushed on it with my weight, almost bringing down my body.

I really need to work on opening old doors. Damn I suck.

The vibrant yellow walls of this apartment contrasted greatly towards the normal color of brown of the others. Despite the decorating differences in this apartment, the kitchen and every other room had no difference compared to the others.

As I finished the last apartment, I waited out in the hall just as I was told to by Michonne. I moved my bag off my shoulders and poured out my loot for the three rooms I went through. I placed four cans together, one roll of toilet paper, one box of female toiletries, and a box of most likely stale wheat animal crackers.

I got up from kneeling and walked out the building itself, checking on the truck. It looked to be untouched until I saw a body emerge from the front seat. The body wasn't one of of my group and looked odd. It didn't take very long until I got my gun ready once more and ran towards the truck, slightly kneeling. The rain wasn't as strong as it was before, slowly coming to a stop.

Just as I heard the Chevy start, I reached the passengers side door and tugged at the handle. But it was of course locked. I kept my body low, hopefully avoiding the unknown person seeing my head. Then a low voice rumbled from within the truck, "Get away from my car, girlie. I really don't wanna shoot some innocent child but I will if I have too."

I didn't answer the person that sat inside the car but instead turned my head up to the sound of a squeaking window. Inside of the apartment window, a figure held a gun and seemed to be aiming for the truck. Before I could duck down some more or the possible man in the truck could drive the vehicle away, a single loud shot rang.

Instead of feeling a bullet pierce my skin, only shattered glass scratched the surface of my body. I stood up so fast, trying to get away from the truck, confused and somewhat dazed. Until I realized that the figure was Sasha. She used her infamous sniper to kill the person who had tried to take away our supplies for Negan and ourselves.

I perched my head to the side to view what the inside of the truck looked like now. I carefully walked over to the drivers side door and opened it. It revealed a bleeding out women who had a chest wound, no doubt from Sashas sniper. The lady weakly tried to grab my shirt as a sign of fighting back but only caused her to roll out of the seat and onto the hard asphalt.

"What the fuck is wrong with you Y/N today? You have been acting so damn stupid. First with the standing up in a moving car, then entering a unknown building and now going outside almost killing yourself." Michonne scolded as her motherly side came out. "Sorry. I didn't mean to blow up at you but you you need to think through things. What is wrong with you?"

"Nothing. I'm fine." But everyone knows that means nothing of what it should mean, merely the opposite. But no one verbally fights back.

Carl started towards the building and then myself and the others followed. I trudged over to my small pile of newly found supplies and sloppily placed them back inside my bag. I kept the bag in my hand as I walked outside of the building with Sasha.

"The other two are searching some sub basement. They'll be done soon probably so just hop in the back." Sasha stated as she started to go through the dead ladies bag.

"Thanks for you know, shooting the women." I walked around the truck once more, heading towards the dead body. I grabbed my knife that sat along my left thigh and slid the blade into the skull, preventing the turn. Then as I was previously told to do so, I climbed into the back and situated myself. As I awaited the return of Michonne and Carl, I started to sing along with her another song I remembered.

"Don't ask my opinion
Don't ask me to lie
Then beg for forgiveness 
For making you cry
Making you cry
'Cause I'm only human after all
I'm only human after all
Don't put your blame on me."

I couldn't recognise what song I actually was singing to, but knowing that I sounded like shit. The rain subsided to nothing but a mist. The thunder and lightning had returned though, as if there were people above having a party in the skies. Celebrating where they were and that they weren't stuck living through what life was these days.

The thunder got so loud that it completely masked my singing and the slamming sound that came from Michonne shutting the buildings door. I sat up straight as I felt the Chevy shake, signaling that some one had entered the car. I saw Michonne already seated in the car and Carl climbing up the side. He held something in his hands and it turned out to be another tarp.

Carl stood up with the black tarp and tied it to the handles on the left side of the car, myself then doing the same on the right side. "What's this supposed to do?" I tried to ask over the thundering sky.

"Well when it rains, hold it over our head. We each hold one edge." That makes sense.

"Oh. Yeah that sounds right." I slid down and tried to find a comfortable spot but failed to do so. The truck has since started as I continued to try and find a spot to fall asleep in. Apparently Eugene misinterpreted the maps and we still have one hour until we reach our primary destination.

"Come here Y/N." I looked over to see Carl using his hand to beckon me over. I slid my way over to him, my legs being placed on either side of his calves. "Turn around." He laughed.

I turned my body the best I could, which meant I almost couldn't and I scraped my arm on some package somehow. I faced the same direction Carl's body faced as I felt his hands wrap around my waist. He then tugged me over until I was situated on his lap, my back against his chest.

"You didn't seem too comfortable over there so I thought this would be better." I could just feel the smirk on his face and then as I shifted my head to see his face, it not only contains a smirk but a bright pink blush. I turned my view back to where it was and placed my edge of the tarp under my right leg, letting it cover our legs. Then Carls half of the tarp proceeded to cover our upper bodies.

Not even sleeping, I just kept my eyes closed and let my mind wander. But lately that never ended good for anyone. This time was different. The bloodied bathtub from the building came back. The horrible thing that sat inside the tub, the stained walls and curtain. The tiny hand prints that slid towards the tub. Inside the tub laid a rotting child. The bullet wound evident in the middle of his forehead. Each limb separated from the torso and the head almost halfway detached from the neck.

Whoever did that to the child, was a sadistic little shit. I just hope that that person, whoever they are, are long gone. But the body wasn't that decomposed. Just stop. Shut up mind. No.

Instead of thinking about the tub, I just replayed past events. But before I could think too much, I heard some country song start coursing through the Chevys speakers. I cautiously opened my eyes, seeing really nothing but black tarp. I turned my head to see Carl already looking down at me.

"Why?" I was confused as to why he asked that question. But that ended when I felt his coarse thumb run along my cheekbone. He was attempting to dry off the few tears that had escaped my closed eyes.

"Just what I found in the bathroom. It was sadistic." I stared into his blue eye, loving how it was twinkling with different emotions. But behind that was a never subsiding darkness.

"What happened?"

"I'll spare you the details. But it was a little boy, he was dead but his body wasn't all connected." Carl got the hint that I wasn't going to share anymore right now.

I ignored the looks that were given to Carl and I by the two ladies up front. I started to think about what happened once again but I stopped it.

One of these days I'm going to break. Break because I won't deal with what I've seen. Then i'll just hurt those I care about. I will blow up with anxiety and fear about what happened and then it'll fall apart. I need to share and deal with things. But that's hard. I need to deal with what happened with Pete, with Milia and then anything else.

3rd Point of View

Carl looked down at the girl in his arms, worrying for her. But he will never guess that Y/N was currently going through her dilemma that has always been there with her. Keep it in or share.

Rick laid waste on whoever messed with him wherever he currently was. Not only did he have an unbearable amount of anger and pain but he didn't have to make sure he would not hurt his son during a rampage. So while Michonne and Carl were gone, Rick went on a crazed rampage for Negan.

Word Count: 3236

A/N: Sorry that it has been like two months since the last update. I was just busy and the had very little motivation I guess. Or I was just lazy. But as you can tell, Ricks fight against Negan is happening earlier in my adaptation sorry for the confusion.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.9K 875 54
"Remember the first time you kissed me? It was on the cheek, outside of Hershel's quarantine zone. I remember feeling conflicted, because, I couldn't...
1.6K 37 37
'you could have died' 'it's not a big deal' *** 'ive been on my own before and its not a big deal.' *** 'you guys are dating?' 'it's not a big deal' ...
51.7K 3K 21
βπ’πžπœπ¨π§π π–π’π§πβž ― In a world taken over by walkers, ten-year-old Elodie fights to survive each day. But she's not just any survivor-she's a g...
1.6K 92 17
Death like a door, To a place we've never been before - Would you live forever, never die? While everything around passes? When the going gets to...