My Kind Of Perfection(EDITING)

By hein_girl

Kasei Asugh had the perfect life, set to be the next big name in ballet until everything pirouette's off her... More

MY KIND OF PERFECTION-welcome!
1. Perfection is key
2. My Crazy Best Friend
3. Job Searching
4. Hired Pt1
5. Hired Pt2
6. No Longer a Newbie
7. Going to the barre
8. Family Dinner
9. You're always working
10. Going to be a Problem
11. Jake's POV
12. I'm Stealing This
14. The Gym
15. Gym//Jake's POV
16. First Time For Everything
17. Pizza Hut-Jake POV
18. My Hero
19. All these boxes
20. Intense Game of Hide and Seek
21. House Party
22. Let's Go Clubbing-Dakota POV
23. Jake's Girl
24. Date With Jake
25. Genius-Dakota POV
26. Phone Call
27. Mushy Heart
28. Who Knew Shopping Was This Fun
29. Supper With Em
30. Talk It Out
31. Girl Time
32. Or Eat Me?
33. Only You
34. Happier(DPOV)
35. Why Do I Associate With Y'all?
36.Parent Introductions
37. The Harsh Truth
38. Answers
39. California
ā†“ā†“ Exciting news y'all read this ā†“ā†“
40. Room Service
41. Talk with the Scott's
42. Audition Realization
43. Unexpected Visitor-DPOV
44. Quick Visit
45. Finally Home
46. Dress Shopping
47. Why Else?
48. Business Dinner
49. The Race
50. The sober, smart one
51. M.I.A
52. You need help
53. How's He Doing?
54. Don't Mess With The Redhead
55. Make a difference
56. Trouble
57. Busy, busy
58. Finally
59. How It's Supposed To Go
60. Breaking Ground
61. Chicago
62. Girls Night Out
63. Meeting Her
64. Walk Through
65. Dysfunctional
66. Cloud Nine
67. My Kind Of Perfection

13. I'm Moving Out

2.1K 65 2
By hein_girl

"I'm home!" I call. My mother walks past me.

"We know that Kasei. You scanned your key-card into the front gate." She rolls her eyes.

"Yeah. I know."

"So what did you do today?" she asks in a tone that suggests she doesn't care.

"I went to work." I say, slipping off my jacket. And hit on a hottie, spilled a drink and made out with him, then wandered around for the rest of my shift in a confused/conflicted daze.

"I don't understand how I am making millions and you still choose to work and some low-down diner place that probably goes against all health code regulations."

"It does not!" I get defensive. "You need to go there once and you will see what a lovely place it is." I snap.

"While you are still living under my roof, I expect that you don't tarnish reputations working at some diner."

"Well then it's a good thing I won't be living here for long!" I sass.

Emmaline appears beside my mother and they both gasp. "What?"

"Me and Dakota found a nice townhouse to rent this morning, and once she finishes going over all the legal stuff with her Dad, we're moving in. Our official date of possession is the 1st of July, but since nobody is living there right now, we're thinking this weekend." 

"You can't rent a place with your best friend if you're going to be living in new york in 3 months." Mother can't hide her disgusted expression.

"Obviously we thought of that, we're doing a month-by-month renting with a 6 month term for now." 

She scoffs at me, pale blue eyes glaring daggers. "What does Richard and Ainsely think about that?" 

I bite my lip. "She's telling them now, but we're adults who can make our own choices." 

"That's ridiculous." Mother snorts. 

"Are you going to have a housewarming party? Can I organize it?" Em completely ignores what she's saying, unable to hide her excitement. "It can be a fourth of July party!"

"Of course you can, Em." I chuckle. "That will be fun, I'll just put out feelers on my story and see who wants to come." 

"Si. Let me know the guest-list, so I can prepare the food." 

My mother crosses her arms, looking between the two of us, unimpressed. "It seems like a waste of time and resources and I won't attend." 

"I'm sorry for just springing the news on you guys, but this is something we've thought about for a while. We've never been independent, and I really think that this is something we need to do. We can't just live under our parents' wings forever, you know?"

"You are right. I understand mia cara." Em says.

"I don't understand, but I'm not going to waste precious brain thought trying to figure it out. I'm flying to LA tonight, so I'll probably not see you for a while. Alondra also wanted you to know that you have to get there at 5 instead of 5:30." Mother flicks her hair and walks towards her room.

"Merda! That means I have 15 to get ready." I huff, rushing up the stairs to find my pointe shoes and workout wear.

*******

"You are late, Kasei." Alondra snaps as I run through the door.

"I'm sorry. You were the one to bump up my appointment, though." I counter.

She narrows her eyes. "If ballet is the most important thing in your life, you won't be wasting time on anything else." 

"I'm not saying it's not the most important thing, but me and my best friend just got a new place and we're trying to figure out moving an-" 

Alondra cuts me off with a wrist flick. "I do not care." She flips the switch to turn on the music and snaps her thin fingers, pointing at the floor. 

"But I didn't warm up..." I startle, quickly stretching my legs out as I walk to the center. 

"Then you'll be sore, dance." 

I shut my mouth, willing all the angry words I have for her to stay hidden as the music starts and I count off 5, 6, 7 and 8 in my head and begin. 

The light melody grabs me, taking control of my body as I sway through the steps that are so familiar to me, dancing as my body aches and my muscles protest until finally it stops. 

"Good, now your NYCB routine. And Kasei..." 

"Perfection, I know." I catch my breath as the new tune starts. I spin and jump, going through the steps I've practiced a billion times. My palms start to sweat as I nervously await the Grande allegro in the middle

Here it comes. Perfection is key. 

I land it! My pulse is pounding in my ears, the perfectly crafted smile pulling into a real one as I continue. Before I have time to register her clapping, and my excitement, the music fades to a close and I execute the triple pirotte.

I finish, panting and dripping with sweat, but with pride coursing through my veins. 

I did it!

"Kasei!" She's beaming, a rare look for her. "I can't believe it. You did a perfect routine there!"

"Thank you." My bun is tight, too tight and my feet feel like little needles are pricking against me, but at least I was perfect. 

 "If you can do that exact thing again, you'll get into honors Ballet in that school quickly. 2 weeks till the big day, hey?" Alondra claps. When she's excited, her Russian accent becomes thicker, and I try to match her enthusiasm when I think about her words. 

I did it, I reached perfection on this routine, and I'll do it again and again, wowing the teachers, the judges but for what? 

"I'm super excited." Then why did that sound hollow? 

"Have you been practicing as much as I told you to?" She frowns as I sit on the bench beside her.

"Um...Yes..?" no.

"You hesitated."

I massage my sore scalp, remembering how good it felt to have Jake's hands here instead of mine. 

"Do you have an excuse?" She's pissed. 

"I've been super busy, Alondra. I have work, and I just got a house..." I trail off. "I practiced the routine a couple times this week, and have done barre every day."

"Well that is good, it helps you stay flexible, but clearly you have not danced every day." Alondra looks down at my feet.

"I..." I follow her gaze. My right foot is bleeding through my pointe shoe. "Dammit!" I unwrap my foot as she gets up with a sigh to grab the first aid kit.

"You know, Kasei. Sometimes I wonder how passionate you are about Ballet." She comes back and I take the shoe off my foot, the air immediately stinging my open wound.

"I am!" I hiss through my teeth as she cleans it out and redresses it.

"Not like some girls are." 

If this bitch is talking about Abby Banks again.... "What do you mean, Alondra?"

"I mean, you clearly know the dance very well, yes?"

"Yes."

"But you do not practice every day."

"That's because-"

"I do not care. Katherine is passionate. She had been dancing for decades, and still. Everyday you can find her working on the very routine that started her journey. She does this because she loves it. She makes time in her busy days, to do so." 

"She's also-" 

Alondra cuts me off again. "Age does not matter. Abigail Banks." 

I can't stop the snort that escapes me and her facade breaks for one second, she chuckles. "I know you love to hate that girl, but she has passion. She doesn't have the status or the wealth that you do, but she works hard so she one day can have. I know you hate being compared but your age is not your hindrance. Your drive is." 

I sigh. "I do want to dance, it's just..." The words don't come out and I don't know who I'm trying to convince. 

"These blisters are a few days old. One of them broke today, because you have not practiced enough during the week and the sudden stress against it caused it to. If you are really passionate about your dance, you will make sure that you do practice every day, so this doesn't happen."

"Right. I'm sorry." she's right. I need to work harder to care about this. It's my future.

"I know, Kasei. But you need to try harder. I believe you can do this, I'm just not sure if you do." 

I stand. "I do. Let's go again." 

She watches as I limp to the center floor, an unreadable expression on her face as she stands as well.  "You know, I think you've practiced enough for today." 

"But I-" 

"We're done here. Have a good night, Kasei." Alondra's words are final and I feel the shame cover me as the lights turn off and I slowly leave the studio. 

the worst part is, I'm relieved that we're done. 

____________________________________________

Cassi

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.6K 745 40
Jace Kingston is president of a notorious outlaw MC, the Furious Basterds, and a single father with three little girls to raise by himself. Addy is a...
511K 15.8K 45
From the outside, it looks like Ivy Stephens has the perfect life. At 21 she is living with her boyfriend of 2 years, and he is a cop. After another...
8.4M 448K 61
Hamilton Academy of the Arts. The school Sydney Acosta moved to all the way from Toronto, Ontario in a barely known city. After the divorce between h...
221 15 7
Tia Roberts. 22, natural sunshine moving to a new place for her work. Not sure what Houston has to offer, but she's ready for it all. Alexander Wrigh...