The Song Remains The Same

By amfryed98

Katherine Sutton vowed to never return to hunting the supernatural after watching her mother die before her e... More

Playlist
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chatper 1

12.4K 339 122
By amfryed98

The storm rolled across the sky, lightning  illuminating the room and thunder shaking the windows with it's almighty roar.

I sat in the study, fanning myself with the morning paper. The inn I ran out of my mother’s house was nearly full, and yet I was the only one up. That is, until they pulled in the driveway.

As I heard the car on the gravel, I got up and peeked out the window to see who could possibly be out in the storm. It was an older car, one that seemed unfamiliar to me and yet pulled at some distant memory in the back of my mind. It looked like it was from the early 70’s, and had it not been for it’s headlights that shone brightly in the dark, I wouldn’t have noticed at all. It was all black, with silver chrome trim. A flash of lightning illuminated the car and I could clearly see that it was an old Chevy.

Two broad shouldered figures approached the door. I silently wished that that I had my handgun. I wasn’t scared of the two men, but it was nearly midnight and everyone else had gone to bed. If the two men wanted to overpower me, they probably could. I’d be defenseless. Hopefully, if anything happened, I’d be able to scream and wake someone up.

“Can I help you?” I asked through the screen door.

“Are you Katherine Sutton?” asked the taller of the two.

My brows wrinkled in confusion. How could they possibly know who I am?

“Yes, that’s me. What business do you have with me?” I demanded. It was a little late to be swinging by for a chat.

“My name is Sam Winchester and this is my brother Dean. Our father-” Sam stopped, choosing his words carefully. “Our father told us that you can help us.”

Winchester. The name sounded so familiar yet I couldn’t place it.

“Well, what’s your father’s name?” I asked.

“John Winchester. Your mom and him were really good friends,” Sam replied.

That was enough to spark the memory.

I was 10. Mom and I were sitting on the porch. She had a brush in hand and was french braiding my hair. She was just about finished when the car pulled in, and out came a tall man and two boys my age. My mom stood up immediately, as if she’d forgotten about my braid, and rushed down to the man.

“John Winchester it’s been too long,” she breathed while giving him the biggest bear hug I had ever seen.

John soon broke off the hug and gestured to his sons. “This is Dean,” he said, gesturing to the oldest one, “and Sam,” he said, gesturing to the youngest.

“They’re so big. It seems like just yesterday that Sammy was a baby,” my mom said, her eyes beaming at the two boys. I rushed from the porch down to them and stood beside Mom.

She chuckled. “John, this is my daughter Katherine,” my mom said, introducing me.

“Hello Katherine. I’m John. These are my sons, Dean and Sam. How old are you?”

I looked at John fiercely. I still didn’t like mom’s male friends coming around and it had been four years since my Mom and Dad had separated.  “I’m ten,” I said, staring at him with wild eyes..

“Oh, well you’re in between Dean and Sam then,” John said. “Sammy here is eight and Dean is 12.”

I smiled at Sam. He gave me a small wave. Dean just stood next to his father with his arms crossed over his face, scowling. Most of my memories of Dean when we were little include him scowling.

Mom invited John inside and suggested that the three of us go play in the backyard. We had a vast backyard, with peach trees nestled in the back corner. That was my favorite place to go.

“Wanna have some peaches?” I asked. Sam nodded vigorously. I turned and headed around the side of the house. Before turning the corner I looked back to see Sam still planted in the same place as before, Dean still standing in the background scowling.

“Well c'mon then,” I told Sam. He ran to catch up.

We walked slowly towards the back corner of the yard. My mom really didn't like me going back there, but it was my favorite place on the plantation to go. It was quiet; the sounds from the house hardly ever made it this far back in the yard.

“Promise you won't tell my Mom that we went back here, okay?” I asked of Sam when we were halfway to the peach trees.

“I promise. I don’t think Dean will tattle either,” Sam said, throwing a sideways glance over his shoulder. Dean was following a few yards behind us, still wearing a scowl but looking extremely curious..

“I bet it's nice to have a big brother. I've always wanted one, but my mommy says that she's always wanted one baby, and she wanted it to be a girl. So I guess that means I don't get any brothers or sisters,” I told Sam.

He nodded his head like he understood. Maybe he did. Maybe John had said the same thing to him once.

We were a few yards away from the peach trees now. “Through here,” I said, pointing at the peach trees.

“Looks kinda creepy,” Sam said hesitantly, stopping in his tracks.

“You'll be fine, Sam,” I said to him.

He nodded and we headed towards the trees. But before we could even get to them, Dean cut in front of us and strode up to the trees, taking a peach from the tree and taking a huge bite out of it.

“Hey!” I yelled, my voice laced with anger. “Who said you could do that?”

“I did,” Dean said, his voice cocky. He smirked at me condescendingly.

“Well they're mine so if you want another bite you’re going to have to fight me for it!” I warned, my face getting redder and hotter by the second.

“Oh really?” said Dean, and then he took a second bite from the peach.

I lunged at him, knocking the peach out of his hand and landing a huge punch to his stomach. Dean looked stunned for a minute before his eyes turned dark with anger and he lunged at me.

I jumped out of the way just in time, avoiding a blow to the stomach myself. Dean became even angrier. He didn't like being beat by a girl.

He lunged for me again, and this time, I didn't get out of the way in time. He hit me in the stomach and I doubled over in pain. My eyes watered and my stomach pained me, but somehow I managed to stand up straight and I threw a punch at his face. I felt a satisfied crunch under my fist as I made impact.

Before Dean could react, John and Mom came and pulled us apart. We both thrashed, wanting to finish what we started, but it was no use. Our tiny bodies were no match to those of our parents.

When our parents finally got us inside and calmed down, we each got the same spiel.

“Haven't I taught you not to fight anyone unless they're going to hurt you Katherine?”

“How many times do I have to keep repeating myself, Dean? You're not allowed to hit girls. Or anyone for that matter, unless they're threatening your safety.”

“Katherine, I want you to apologize to Dean.”

“Dean, I want you to apologize to Katherine.”

We made our apologies through gritted teeth and avoided each other for the rest of the week while John and Mom did research on how to kill whatever John was hunting.

I snapped out of my memories and Sam and Dean looked at me expectantly.

“I remember you two,” I said with a smile. “I beat Dean's ass because he ate one of my peaches.”

Sam snorted with laughter and Dean scowled. Some things just don't change.

“For the record, if our parents wouldn't have torn us apart I totally would've won,” Dean defended.

“But they did pull us apart, and since I broke your nose I think it's safe to say that I won,” I teased.

Dean huffed. “Look, we don't really have time for this. We need your help.”

“The most I can do for you two right now is give you both a place to sleep. Anything else will have to wait until morning,” I told them.

“Look, this really can't wait until morning,” Dean said.

“Then I guess I can't really help you,” I retorted.

Dean pinched the bridge of his nose. “Sammy, try to talk some sense into this girl, will ya?” Dean asked.

Sam rolled his eyes but turned to me anyway. “Look, we were hoping you'd help us figure out what we're up against on our hunt,” he said.

“No. Absolutely not. I gave up hunting when I watched my mother murdered in front of me. I'm sorry but I can't help you,” I said, turning away from them.

“I'm sorry for your loss. I didn't know,” Sam said somberly. “When the townspeople said that your mother was gone we thought she was on a hunt.”

“Well she's not,” I said harshly, turning around and staring at Sam and Dean with my eyes narrowed. “I suggest you two leave unless you are staying the night. In that case, follow me,” I said.

I watched Sam and Dean exchange glances in my peripheral vision. Dean shrugged and they followed me up the stairs.

I led them down the hallway to one of the empty rooms. It was the last room empty with two twin beds. I opened the door and turned the light on, ushering them inside.

“Two beds. There's a TV, dresser, alarm clock, and a sink. The toilets and showers are in the basement and first floor. There's two keys in the bedside stand. Breakfast starts at  7 and lasts until 10. Don't be late or you won't be fed. If you need anything, let me know. I'll be around,” I told them.

I turned around to leave but had a sudden thought at the last second. “I'm usually up until midnight so if you are out hunting and know you aren't going to make it by then, let me know. I'll leave the door unlocked,” I added.

Sam and Dean nodded and I went back downstairs, making sure to shut their door behind me.

The next morning I woke bright an early; 5:30 am. I hadn't gotten much sleep but I was used to that. Since my mom died, I'd had a harder and harder time sleeping. Some nights her death replayed in my head, the nightmare from hell. Other nights, I just couldn't find sleep.

Around 9, the boys came downstairs for breakfast. I had to fight a smile. They were both still half asleep, and Sam's hair was sticking up at odd angles. I dropped the plates I was carrying off into the dirty dishes bucket and walked up to them.

“Still tired I see,” I teased.

“What gave us away?” Sam asked.

“Oh, you know, the fact that you look like zombies walking in here. And you haven't even brushed your hair yet,” I said, reaching up and ruffling his hair.

“So where's this food you talked about last night?” Dean butted in.

I rolled my eyes. “In there,” I said, gesturing to the dining room. “It's buffet. Take a plate and fill it up. You have to git a clean plate every time but that's the only rule we have in there,” I said.

“Alright, thanks,” Sam said.

“No problem,” I said, giving him a smile.

Sam and Dean went into the dining room and I turned around to go back into the kitchen. Before I could, however, I was intercepted by by Tori, a girl I'd grown up with and who helped me run the inn.

“Who are they?” Tori asked.

“Sam and Dean Winchester. Their father and my mom were good friends,” I told her. She fanned herself with her hand.

“They are H-O-T,” she said breathlessly.

“I guess,” I said. They were attractive, but I looked at Sam like a brother and I couldn't help but make jokes at Dean's expense, so I'd never really thought about them that way before.

“You guess?” Tori asked incredulously.

“I've just never thought about them that way, ya know? Sam is like a younger brother and Dean is... Impossible,” I said finally.

Tori winked at me. “I like a challenge,” she said, before disappearing down the hall. I rolled my eyes. Tori loved men. I sometimes joked that she changed boyfriends as often as she changed her underwear. She knew I was joking but there was some truth behind it.

I went into the kitchen. Our hired cook, Marcus, was at the stove, a big vat of gravy in front of him. I grabbed a spoon and took a bite.

“You're definitely the best cook I've ever met,” I said to Marcus. He smiled at me and gestured to the biscuits.

“Mind taking those out to the dining room?” Marcus asked.

“Not a problem. I'll also check to see if there's anything else we need out there,” I said, grabbing the biscuits and exiting the kitchen.

When I walked into the dining room, I glanced around the room and saw Tori leaning on the table in front of Sam and Dean, her cleavage obviously showing. Sam wasn't paying any attention to her but Dean's eyes kept drifting down.

I set down the biscuits and walked over to the table. “I see you've met Sam and Dean,” I said with a sweet smile on my face.

“I have,” said Tori with a questioning look on her face.

“How long are you two gonna be in town?” I asked them.

Sam looked up at me and gave me a pointed look. I knew that look. It was the same look John had given me when I asked too many questions about what he and my mom were hunting.

“A week or so,” Sam replied. Then he smiled. “Or until you get tired of us.”

I chuckled. “I hope you both are both enjoying breakfast,” I told them. “We don't serve lunch but we'll have granola bars and snack foods out until an hour before dinner which starts at 4pm and goes until 7,” I told them. Sam nodded.

“Well I've gotta get back to Marcus in the kitchen,” I said, giving them all a smile.

“Give my best to the cook back there,” Dean said, finally taking his gaze off of Tori. “Those were the best damn biscuits and gravy I've ever had in my entire life.”

I chuckled. “It's his mother's recipe. Can't get better than good 'ol southern cooking.”

Dean nodded and I made made my way back to the kitchen. “How's the quantity of everything?” Marcus asked.

“Almost everything is half full or over. I really don't think we need to put much more out though. Not many people haven't eaten yet so we'll have plenty of food left at the end of breakfast,” I told him. He nodded.

“I planned on making peach pie for later but there aren't any fresh peaches in here. Could you go pick some?” Marcus asked.

“Of course,” I said with a smile. I grabbed a bucket and some napkins. I couldn't pick peaches without eating one or two and that meant I was going to get sticky. “I'll be back in a bit.”

Marcus just smiled and shook his head. I headed out the back door to the peach grove still residing in the back corner of the yard. I sometimes came out here when I needed time to think, or when I just needed a sweet fix.

The fruit hung heavy on the trees. It was time to harvest them. I immediately regretted not getting more than one pail. When peach season started, people were lining up down the driveway for our peaches and peach pie. Marcus had made a name for himself with that peach pie. Peaches were the reason we stayed open all year.

I began picking them, one at a time, throwing out the ones with flaws or, more often, eating them. I hadn't even filled the first bucket and I was already so full that I knew I probably would skip dinner if I kept up the pace.

I heard the sound of a twig snapping underfoot behind me and I whipped my head around. Dean was standing behind me, a bucket in hand and an eager look on his face.

“Need any help?” he asked. I was a little shocked that he was offering help but I didn't protest. I did need another hand.

“As a matter of fact, I could use an extra hand,” I said. “If there's a flaw, go ahead and throw it out. Or eat it. But we only sell the best so make sure they're as flawless as a peach can possibly get,” I told him. He nodded.

“So, why aren’t you inside with Sam trying to crack the case?” I asked.

Dean chuckled. “I’m not the book type. I leave that to Sammy. Besides, this gives me an excuse to eat as many peaches as I want.”  I rolled my eyes.

We worked in silence for a while. Sometimes one could hear the occasional squirt of juice as a bite was taken out of a peach, but otherwise, the only noises were those that came from the woods around us.

“I’m sorry about your mom,” Dean said while we were picking peaches from two adjacent trees.

I took a sharp breath in. I usually avoided the topic of my mother at all costs. It was painful talking about her. The few times I did I would always start to feel the sinking feeling in my stomach and the tightness in my chest that I had experienced when I watched her be murdered in cold blood…

“Katherine, are you alright?” Dean asked. I nearly jumped out of my skin.

“I’m fine,” I said, forcing a smile.

“You sure because I could finish if-” Dean began, but I interrupted him.

“I’m fine Dean. Really,” I told him. He nodded.

“I just… don’t talk about Mom that often. It hurts,” I said while plucking a peach from the tree.

I dusted my hands on my pants and picked up my bucket. It was heavy, but nothing I couldn’t handle.

Mom had enrolled me in karate the moment I turned four. It didn’t take long for me to earn my black belt and after that I just kept climbing as high as I could. When I turned 16, I gave it up so I could hunt full time with my mom but I haven’t ever forgotten what I learned. And it’s also had an impact on how fit I am; even though I was a small child, I would carry and lift some things that even Mom wouldn’t attempt. And even though I’d quit eight years ago, I still kept my body toned and strong. Even if I wasn’t using it to hunt anymore.

“We should head in. I’ve gotta help Marcus make the peach pie for dessert tonight and you’ve got something supernatural to hunt,” I said. Dean nodded in agreement.

“I can take that,” Dean said, reaching out and trying to grab my bucket of peaches. I pulled my hand away.

“I am capable of carrying this myself, thank you very much,” I said. Dean chuckled.

“You are a pistol,” he said.

“I have to be, don’t I? I’m a woman, and I was a hunter. People have a hard enough time taking women seriously, let alone women hunters,” I replied.

Dean didn’t have much to say to that, which surprised me. He had to know I was right. I’d seen men harass women hunters just because they could.  Heck, there weren’t even that many women who hunted by themselves in the first place. Most women hunted with their husbands, or their immediate family members if they were hunters. Women solo hunters were pretty much nonexistent.

The walk back up to the house was a silent one. Dean dropped the peaches off in the kitchen and then went to see if Sam had found anything. I’d assumed he hadn’t, though. He would’ve told Dean already.

Marcus and I got busy peeling peaches. It was an arduous task that took most of the afternoon. Halfway Marcus dropped off to prep for the pie, which he placed in the oven just before dinner. I sighed and wiped my brow as I finished my peeling my last peach. It was a long day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

320 21 5
"He wanted to run to her, he wanted to make sure she was okay, but he couldn't. That wasn't his place...it was Sam's, he just had to let go" :-: Aft...
47 3 12
-Supernatural (TV show) fanfiction story- Someone has murdered Missy's sister in hard cold blood. Now, she is in search of who is responsible. Missy...
1.5K 39 27
A lot like the brothers, Sam and Dean, Kaya and Kate travel together, saving people and hunting things, carrying on the family business. After the g...
28.1K 443 104
She's survived demons, death, and all sorts of creatures that haunt the night. She's pretty sure she's seen it all... or has she? She found love. Sh...