Cinderella's Tears

By annadrawshere

Sometimes the Cinderella life isn't so glamorous. The road to love and royalty is dirty and bloody. More

Cinderella's Tears ~ Prologue
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 1
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 2
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 3
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 4
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 5
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 6
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 7
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 8
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 9
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 10
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 11
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 12
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 13
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 14
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 15
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 16
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 17
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 18
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 19
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 20
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 21
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 22
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 23
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 25
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 26
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 27
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 28
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 29
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 30
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 31
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 32
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 33
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 34
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 35
Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 36

Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 24

2.4K 40 19
By annadrawshere

The next morning, Magdalena and I set out for the town. We dressed in long dresses and she helped comb my now amazing hair.

"Here, cover your hair with this," The old woman handed me a large handkerchief. I felt it in my hand and stared at it. Slowly I placed it over my head and tied it. My long hair trailed behind me, chocolate curls.

Magdalena handed and  forced me to carry large baskets filled with embroidered cloth and different fabrics. There were other stuff as well, items that she would trade or sell. Among them were a few of my possessions that I had kept in my gypsy chest.

As we walked, I noticed different birds flying near Magdalena.  She stared ahead, gliding forward like a queen. She turned to me and met my stare.

"Straighten your back." I followed her orders and looked straight forward.

I couldn't help thinking how different we were. She seemed like a royal and I, a mere servant. How can I be her granddaughter? How is Katherine my mother? I seem like a failure.

I sighed.

"Diane, you have changed."

I looked at her, "What do you mean?"

"Physically and mentally. Your shape is more filled out, no more bones. And your face seems softer, you smile more and your eyes are more relaxed. The way you talk is softer and sounds nicer too. Not to mention your hair. God, your hair is amazing." She smiled at me, "You've changed. Your spirit is lighter. The half-dying cow that I found at my doorstep and the woman beside me now are two different people."

I laughed softly. I couldn't help smiling.

"I'm being serious! That crazy, strange woman would not be able recognize you anymore!"

I looked at Magdalena, "I am really happy to hear that."

"Of course its all thanks to me."

I laughed.

After walking for a bit, we reached town.

"Huh, its closer than I thought," I chuckled. We walked through town, to the center, the marketplace.

Passing by all the stalls, I recognized the people from my part of town. People were laughing and talking loudly. Crowds gathered by the stalls, demanding for goods. Servants from everywhere came and chatted happily, masters only few feet away discussing. The atmosphere seemed different. A world I did not know.

"Why is everyone so busy and cheerful?" I asked.

Magdalena looked around, "Isn't it usually like this?" She shrugged, "Have you been living in  world of darkness? Besides its the ball is upcoming. Why shouldn't they be happy?"

"I suppose." At that moment a woman blocked our path.

"Magda"

"Elle!" Magdalena smiled at her and they hugged each other.

"It's so good to see you!"

"It's been to long, dear."

"Come, come!" The woman took Magdalena's arm and guided her through the crowd. She looked at me and smiled. I followed obediently.

Elle took us to the tailor shop, the one Rachel always shops at. She went to the back of the store. 

"You can put down the items," Magdalena said. I nodded and carefully placed the baskets on the nearest table.

Elle came back with two tall wine glasses and a bottle of wine. When she saw me she smiled, "Oh? And who is this?"

I opened y mouth to speak but the old woman beat me to it, "Allow me. This is Diane, my granddaughter. You remember Katherine? This is her daughter. Diane, this Ellen, an old friend of mine."

"Pleasure," Ellen stuck out her hand.

I shook, "All mine." I smiled at her.

"Ah. Should I get another glass?"

"Please do," Magdalena answered for me.

I looked t her, She smiled and shook her head. Ellen returned with another glass and opened the bottle of wine. She handed us glasses and poured the purple wine.

"Cheers," Ellen declared. Magda and me nodded. Both of them took a sip of wine. As a first time drinker, I hesitated.

I took the chance as the woman and drank and talked to observe.

Ellen was a short woman but has a good figure. Magda was the same except taller. Ellen had her in a tight bun and wore much makeup while Magda wore her hair down and limited her makeup. Both f them were very elegant.

I swirled my wine in the glass. The old woman noticed and yelled at me, "Diane! That is rude! Drink your wine!"

I looked at her uncertainly. She stared back own at me. Finally, I took a sip.

Bad idea. Bitter. I nearly spit it out. The taste was so foul in my mouth.

Magdalena scoffed, "Might as well get use to it."

I glared at her. The old woman returned to her conversation.

"The fabric is ready. I'll need measurements."

"How is the design of the dress?"

"It, its different but it will work."

"When will it be done"

"If we can put it together now, then you can take it how and sew it together."

"Is there a possibl-"

"No, with the masqurade ball coming up, I'm flowing with orders."

"And the cost?"

"For you? I'm cutting the price down, besides the goodies you have here will add to it."

"Anyway to cut it down even more?" Magda asked hopefully.

Ellen eyed me, then she turned to Magdalena, "Listen if you help out in the shop the rest of the day and perhaps get Diane to come tomorrow too, the dress will be free."

"You got it!" Magdalena replied cheerfully, "Diane, work!"

Few minutes later, I found myself wearing a simple apron, listening to Ellen's instructions.

"Cotton, satin, velvet, silk and the others are in rows here. The colors are marked so it should be easy to find. Try to help a client as much as you can. If anything goes wrong, call me other. Understand?"

I nodded, not understanding one bit. She smiled and left me to address a client. I stared around the room awkwardly. The shop was filled my customers, buzzing around everywhere. Most people seemed to know what they needed.

"Excuse me?" A small voice behind me asked.

I turned to find a small girl behind me. She had short, curly reddish-brwn hair, a tiny nose and a huge mouth. Cute as a mouse.

"Yes? Hi! I work here," I smiled at her. She giggled.

"I'm looking for my dress," She whispered.

"Okay. Your name?"

"Cherry Sam."

"And your dress? How does it look like?" I asked.

"Oh, Its a small dress, leafy green on top and a warm brown on the bottom."

"Wait one moment, please." I left her to go to the back of the store. There was a large store room filled with extra fabrics and dresses. The room was filled with dress form mannequins wearing each dress. Cherry's dress was easy to find. It was the smallest of all. I took it of the the mannequin, along withe decorations and took it to Cherry.

She covered her face with her hands. Then she looked up at me and squealed, "It's beautiful. Isn't it mom?"

Her mother who appeared at her side smiled. She was a bit taller but also had mousey features. she agreed, "Let's put it on, shall we?"

I guided them to a dressing room and had the mother stand outside of the room. Inside the dressing room, Cherry took off her dress. She stood in her garments on the pedesal that stood in the center of the room.

I helped her step in the dress. Next, I pulled the dress up and tied dress back together. Fixing thee dress helm while Cherry pulled it up. The dress was short, only to her knees. It flared out at the waist, giving her a bigger body. I put her hair up and stuck d=some pins in it. There was a small hat ornament that was suppose to be pinned into her hair I struggled with it but managed to place it well. I handed her the hand held masquerade mask and helped her off the pedestal. Together we exited the dressing room.

Her mother gasped when she saw the sight of her daughter. Cherry could not stop smiling. Her big white teeth blared at me.

"How is it?" she asked eagerly.

"You look amazing!" her mother answered happily.

I brought a full body mirror. Cherry turned and gasped at her reflection. She tured and looked at her dress. Touching her hat, she burst into a series of giggles. I spotted tears in her eyes.

"I never looked better!"

She hugged her mother. Then, Cherry stared at herself in the mirror. Her mother stood back and admired her. I found myself smiling.

Cherry turned to me and skipped into the dressing room. I followed and helped her take of the dress. She stared at it then hugged it tightly.

"Ahh, don't want to ruin the dress," I warned gently.

"Thank you," She whispered without even glancing at me.

The rest of the day, I helped many customers, most girls but a few guys were there too. The sun was low by the time the shop closed.

"Diane!"

I turned to find Magda smiling at me, her arms were filled with different purple fabrics. 

"Come here."

She guided me to the side of the shop. The wall were lined with mirrors and supplies. 

"Step on to the pedestal."

I did as she asked. She then stripped me of my dress. My face flushed in embarrassment but she as too busy trying fabrics on me.  Magdalena took a light purple fabric out, she cut and tied it around my waist. After a moment of thinking it over, she took it off.

"Ellen!" She called.

Ellen hurried in.

"I'm not sure if I should have her wear an elliptical cage crinoline or a just a cage crinoline. What do you think?"

They both studied me carefully. My face flushed underneath their stares.

Ellen broke the silence, "a cage crinoline,"

"Really?"

Ellen gave me a second glance, "For sure."

She brought one and they fastened it on to me. The light purple fabric was draped over it. Ellen handed Magdalena a very familiar fabric with black and silver embroidery at the edges.

I clutched it in the hands, "This.. You have  worked on it while you were taking care of me."

Magdalena didn't say anything but smiled at me. She took the dark, purple fabric and placed it around my waist. She pinned it with a small pin.

"I have an idea for the top," said Ellen.

She took a silk fabric, the same dark purple color as the other. She folded it and wrapped my torso and chest.

"There perfect," Ellen smiled in satisfaction.

Magdalena took a few hair pins and pinned some of my hair and placed a feather. Ellen placed a simple mask of my nose.

"There!"

I looked in the mirror.

"Is that me?" I stared, shocked at my appearance.

My body had slender curves and my hair was smooth and soft. My face was pretty. My eyes were no longer so harsh but just as dark. The dress was amazing and beautiful.

"You are so much like your mother," the old woman stared into my eyes with pride.

"Magdalena," I started.

"You don't even know how much you resemble her. Both so violent yet beautiful."

She wrapped her hands around me. I don't know how long we embraced each other but somehow it felt so right. I felt safe.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 387 30
A kingdom's secret is protected down through generations of two families who must unite to keep estranged members of the bloodlines from attaining th...
The Devil By emmi

Mystery / Thriller

560 212 20
darkness night would turn into horror for an innocent girl when she gets married to the worst man of all ' The devil.'
23K 2.3K 32
A story about the great Langa Royals. Greed, love and blood makes a family.
18.5K 1.2K 28
Rule my heart, ruin my life. Two enemies learn that before the sweet taste of revenge, comes the bitterness of love.