The Golden Rule

By MissBonnett

James has one golden rule. Never date a werewolf. Sure, he'll date another wizard like himself, a vampire, a... More

Chapter One: Paper
Chapter Two: Cotton
Chapter Three: Leather
Chapter Four: Flowers
Chapter Five: Wood
Chapter Six: Iron
Chapter Seven: Copper
Chapter Eight: Bronze
Chapter Nine: Pottery
Chapter Ten: Aluminum
Chapter Eleven: Steel
Chapter Twelve: Silk
Chapter Thirteen: Lace
Chapter Fourteen: Ivory
Chapter Fifteen: Crystal
Chapter Sixteen: Silverware
Chapter Seventeen: Furniture
Chapter Eighteen: Porcelain
Chapter Nineteen: Aquamarine
Chapter Twenty: China
Chapter Twenty-One: Brass
Chapter Twenty-Two: Copper
Chapter Twenty-Three: Silver Plate
Chapter Twenty-Four: Opal
Chapter Twenty-Five: Silver

Epilogue

14.7K 952 230
By MissBonnett

Six Months Later

"Eric, I'm home!" James called as he exited through the portal from the office. As soon as his feet touched the mansion floor, James felt his second wind. Just being home was electric. The four grocery bags in his hands felt weightless. He ended up on the second-floor closet, already smiling.

He couldn't help himself, talking a mile a minute, "Today was incredible! We had two people come in today. They apparently just had the same feeling to finally come in and guess what?!"

"James," Eric answered back. It was like a game. The louder Eric's voice grew, the warmer James became.

"They were a match!" James announced as he rounded into the upstairs kitchen. It was smaller than the one downstairs, a private space for just the immediate family complete with a fridge covered in family pictures, which included Izzy's most recent sonogram of their future niece and one of James and Eric's wedding pictures, kissing under the gazebo.

"James-"

"Oh!" Still calling out to Eric, James sat the bags down. No sign of Eric here either. "Oh! And I'm sure you'll be happy to know Macy quit! She got into Harvard! So..." James stuck his head out as Eric called his name again. It was then James realized the house was empty. "So! I thought that maybe if Leo wanted extra money, he could be our temp-"

"James!" Eric said a little louder this time, followed by one of his exasperated laughs. James did a full turn, finding the stairs. His hurried steps slowed to a hesitant creep as he approached the front door. There was the faintest glow, not from the porch light, but something else. Cautiously, he pushed the door opened and walked outside. There was a trail of rose petals that began at the front door to the steps. Candles of all colors, what must have been the collection of candles found at the home were placed on the railing. They flickered and swayed from the night air. They looked like hundreds of huddles stars.

"Sorry," Eric said at the bottom. His scruff lined his jawline and his dark hair wasn't styled. He wore the clothes from the day, dark jeans and a baseball T-shirt. It was James' favorite look. It was sexier than if he threw on a Tuxedo.

Eric shrugged his shoulders. "It's a little cliched."

"Who are you and what did you do with my husband?" James asked, hesitant to leave the top steps. This felt like a song he loved from a long time ago, a story he had heard before, but he couldn't quite put his finger on the words. James' brain couldn't buffer fast enough.

With his soft smile, Eric wiped his hands on his jeans. The great Alpha laughed nervously. "I'm still not very good at this stuff but... but I'd do anything to make you happy."

"What are you..."

"Six months ago," Eric said and his deep voice was a magic spell that lured James down the stairs, slowly like in a dream. Eric said, "We got married and that was the happiest day of my life, but I know it wasn't what you wanted."

"No, Eric," James shook his head. "It was perfect-"

"It wasn't your dream wedding."

"But it had my dream groom," James smiled as he closed the space between them. His heart raced, knowing Eric could hear it. Eric became close enough to touch and James cupped his husband's chin, giving him the quickest kiss on the lips. He didn't lift his head, resting against his forehead.

"Still, I think you owe that little kid still inside of you the best wedding this world has ever seen," Eric backed away. Lowering onto his knee, Eric reached into his pocket and James' heart jumped up to his throat.

James gawked. This really wasn't what he expected. This was Eric. He did little romantic things. He brought lunch to the office. Sometimes, there'd be flowers waiting at home for James. This was a grand gesture!

"What are you doing?" He questioned the man.

Eric took out a small velvet box and James just raised his hands. He didn't know how to handle this. What to do with his hands? What to say? What to think? He was not prepared. Definitely not prepared. With nothing else to do, he just stared wide-eyed at Eric revealing a small gold band to match James' wedding ring. It was rose gold, something that would match Nathan's wedding ring. At the top, there was a rose and inside was one small diamond.

Shaking from laughing (probably from James' reaction), but trying to keep a straight face, Eric continued, "For our first anniversary, will you do me the honor of marrying me all over again?"

James' chin quivered. Tears unexpectedly pricked his eyes as he was overcome by the moment. Quickly, he nodded and laughed, forgetting all about the ring. He jumped into Eric's arms, knocking the werewolf into the ground. The couple rolled until James was lying on top of Eric, kissing him. James leaned back and fingered back Eric's bangs. He asked, "How do you still manage to surprise me?"

"I'm full of surprises."

Suddenly, James straightened his arms. "Oh god! Are you saying I only have six months to plan a wedding?!"

"I already picked out the venue and I promise, you'll like it."

"I'm almost afraid to ask..." and yet, the control freak in James said otherwise. James sat up and narrowed his eyes. He was somewhat annoyed at Eric's knowing smirk. "Where are we getting married?"

Eric followed James upright and took the ring out. "I picked out an agreeable place. Logically, it makes sense and I was given Delphine's approval. It's the only right place for our first vow renewal."

"Our first? Will there be a next time?"

"Certainly," Eric stood and offered his hand.

James accepted the help. "But where?"

"Where else, but where it all began?" Eric tilted his head, wrapping one arm around James' waist. He used his free hand to stroke James' cheek. The look in his eyes told James how much Eric loved him more than words could ever describe. Eric smiled. "The Grand Mystic Hotel."

James laughed. He littered Eric with kisses and dragged him upstairs. They spent the night discussing plans and who they'd invite, though Eric admitted he already sent the invitations. They talked about the cake, the food, and the music. They talked for hours. Even when they went back inside, they talked in bed until they passed out.

In six months, they'd be married again.

A year after, they'd travel to the beach and elope.

And then, the year after, they would be a little late renewing their vows to ensure their bouncing baby girl, Audrey could attend the ceremony. Year after year, James and Eric would return to their vows with their growing family and their friends for their anniversary and get married all over again. They did this once a year, but every day for the rest of their lives, Eric told James he loved him and James told him the same just as his golden rule demanded. 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

So, here we are, at the end. The very end. I can't believe I finished my very own werewolf book. It's taken a while and I really couldn't have done it without the support of you guys. I know that's what everyone says, but your comments have really pushed me to finish (and not be so lazy. They were like lovely little guilt-trips, haha).

If you have any questions about the book or if you have questions about another character, don't hesitate to ask here! I will answer them all! Also, you can read Peter's story now in "Sunflowers" AND you can read all about Frances's own romance in "Til Death". 

Please consider donating to my ko-fi (ko-fi.com/missbonnett) And! If you had fun reading, check out my other novel "Somewhere", which will start updating weekly now that I'm done with "The Golden Rule".

Thanks again,

XOXO

Miss Bonnett

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.7K 421 13
Kate's always been an alcoholic. Hates being sober and doesn't dream of love. James is in love with another girl and doesn't want his mate. What wil...
42.4K 3.1K 6
(This is a side story based on two characters from my novel "The Golden Rule". I would HIGHLY recommend you reading that first) Peter has given up on...
2.8K 104 49
Alpha Cameron of Apache tribe is still unmated and single at 40. He has to find a new mate before he turns 42 else respectfully step down from his po...
45.6K 1.6K 31
Being Mates could be so easy if it weren't for the fact that Viktor and George are as different as night and day. It also doesn't help that one is a...