Shotguns & Sharp Teeth {The C...

By MissCreatureDoll

Nobody's gonna love you if, you can't display a way to capture this. Nobody's gonna hold your hand, and guide... More

Section l: The Rise - Introduction
Section l: The Rise - Chapter 1 • Harmony
Section l: The Rise - Chapter 2 • The Chase Begins
Section l: The Rise - Chapter 3 • Deep Wounds
Section l: The Rise - Chapter 4 • Fresh Air
Section l: The Rise - Chapter 5 • Trapped
Section l: The Rise - Chapter 6 • Prophecy
Section l: The Rise - Chapter 7 • Bitterness
Section l: The Rise - Chapter 8 • Mistaken
Section l: The Rise - Chapter 9 • One More Lie
Section l: The Rise - Chapter 10 • Used
Section l: The Rise - Chapter 11 • Trust
Section l: The Rise - Chapter 12 • The Ring, The Card, & The Plant
Section l: The Rise - Chapter 13 • The Horizon
Section ll: The Empty Coffin - Introduction
Section ll: The Empty Coffin - Chapter 14 • Finch
Section ll: The Empty Coffin - Chapter 15 • The Spark
Section II: The Empty Coffin -Chapter 16 • Brother Act
Section II: The Empty Coffin - Chapter 17 • Frost
Section II: The Empty Coffin - Chapter 18 • Angel of Strength
Section II: The Empty Coffin - Chapter 19 • Checkmate
Section III: The Resurrection - Introduction
Section III: The Resurrection - Chapter 21 • Programmed

Section III: The Resurrection - Chapter 20 • Mortal Wounds

84 4 0
By MissCreatureDoll

“I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up.” 

― Lauren Oliver, Delirium

1:20AM, April 6th, 2013

Undisclosed field, Netherlands, Holland

The sky was covered in a thick sheet of darkness, with beautiful stars sparkling like rhinstones on velvet. Seeing such a clear sky always reminded me of Viona. I sighed, pulling out my locket with her old photo in it. She had those gorgeous eyes, and she was wearing that silk dress. Not even my brother has seen that photo, considering for the time, it was very riskay.

Despite how racey she could be, Viona was always the picture of perfection. Her mind may drive her to some questionable chooses, but her heart is pure of good. It's unfortunate she rarely listens to that heart.

I felt the wind press against my skin as a wolf howled to the moon. If I don't reach shelter soon, I'll be his next meal.

1:50AM

There was more in these woods than a wolf. Hunters, they were everywhere. I tried to run without fear, but that was almost impossible. My fear was not of death, no. I dreaded never being able to see my brother and my angel again. I've come so close, I'm not about to give up.

As I heard the rustle of a bush, I quickly whipped around to block a hit from one, tossing him to the dirt. His body fell to the ground, enough of a distraction for me to get away.

The wind painfully hissed through my ears, forcing my head to start pounding. One of the many downfalls of super hearing is the agony in loud noises, and this wind would probably irritate normal ears. I tried to shake it off and kept going, until I ran into something, or rather, someone.

I pulled myself off the ground, preparing for a fight. Who else would I run into other than a hunter? Though, as I looked down, I was shocked to see an elf. Looking upon her, my heart stopped as I saw my family crest carved into the jewel of her necklace.

She groaned, looking up at me. "Colton, is that you?"

The pour thing couldn't see straight. Though, my brother and I could look one in the same if you were a little concussed.

"You know my brother?" I slightly gasped.

"Brother..." She wearily spoke to herself, then her eyes widened. "You're Colton's dead brother? Why are you alive? Oh my God, are you a zombie?"

The elf began to slightly hyperventilate. I leaned down, setting my hand on her back. "Calm down, Sweetie. I never died... It's a long story. The important part is, we need to get out of here."

"Oh, yeah." She replied as I helped her to her feet. "I'm Bell, by the way. I was just on my way to our safe house. You can come with, if you want. I mean, I'm pretty sure you would want to."

"Yes, of course. Let's just move quickly." I hastily urged as I could hear the hunters growing closer in the distance.

I'm sure we can lose them if we go fast enough. At least she's an elf, they're known for speed and agility. This one, however, seemed very frantic.

"Are you alright?" I whispered.

"Uh, yeah." Bell replied, lying straight through her teeth. "It's just... I was traveling with this guy, and we had to go our separate ways. Then there was some screaming, and I just kept running like he told me."

I provided her with a sympathetic smile, as I know the feeling of sacrifice. What she said, reminded me of Beau. He'd always act like he hated my brother and I, but when the time came, he'd put his life on the line for either of us. The most valiant part of it was, he never wanted to be acknowledge or praised for it. He just, did it.

Makes me wonder what ever came of him. Last I saw Beau, was the night my brother and I had a horrible fight, and Viona ended up crying on my shoulder, not his. I thank The Lord that I repaired things with Colton, or it could have been the last night I saw him, too.

The thought of leaving my brother on bad terms just eats me away. What if I never saw him again? Hell, we were on good terms when I disappeared, and it still has killed me for the last hundred years. It was a difficult choice I had to make, but for everyone's safety, it had to be done.

Bell slightly nudged me, muttering, "We're here."

I looked up to see a simple farm. This is definitely the work of my brother. He, like any smart man, figures no one would look for supernatural beings on a farm, in the middle of Holland.

The door creaked open, and a woman slowly came out, like a cat leaving her den. She studied me, her eyes welling up with tears. I heard her murmurer an 'oh my, God' before she ran up and wrapped her arms around me.

It was then, when I could smell her, that I knew it was Viona. She may look extremely different, but she will always smell of vanilla and sugar. I tightened my embrace around her, feeling tears kiss my eyes.

"Finch." She sobbed. "Oh, Finch."

I took her small hand into mine, intertwining our fingers as I whispered, "Shh, don't speak, just listen. My dear Viona, I'm sorry I ever left your side, but Angel, it was only to protect you. I promise, I will make up for lost time, starting with three words I've been waiting to say for a hundred years; I love you."

"I love you, too, Finch. I've missed you, I've needed you." Viona admitted.

"I know, I'm sorry." I sharply replied. Then, I pulled away a bit, wiping a tear from her eyes. "But, we all must make our sacrifices."

"Speaking of," Bell softly interrupted. "Beau split away from me. He... He said he'd be back, but I heard screaming, and, Viona, will he be okay?"

She ran her finger under her eye, then looked at me, as if I had the answer. "He's strong, stronger than most. I promise, he will return."

Guess good ol' Beau came back around after all. I never thought that lost soul of his would ever come home, but drifting must get old.

"Finch, I believe it's time you are reunited with you brother, once and for all." Viona said.

"I believe you're right." I replied, as my heart raced a million miles in my chest.

She lead me inside, where I saw an assortment of faces I didn't recognize. Suppose Colton has been busy growing his army. They were more than vampires though; there was everything, from werwolfs to sirens. Well, he always said we weren't alone, and I guess he was right.

As we went deeper into the house, I felt myself growing whole again. My brother and I have been apart so long, I wasn't even sure if we could fix the wounds left in our hearts.

Viona lead me to the basement, which was just as dusty as the rest of the house. It was creepy, too say the least. Surely my brother isn't here. She pulled me to an old storage shelf, where she pushed it back to reveal a passage way. A little cliché, but it works for me.

We soon entered what I presume to be the real hideout. This is more of what I expected from my brother; Elegant furniture, grand passageways, and of course, a Gothic decor. Viona's hand left mine as she signaled for me to wait.

Soon I heard my brother's voice, along with the distinct sound of the cane I crafted for him hitting the hardwoods.

"Babe, what's so important that you had to pull me out of bed?" He whined, typical Colton.

"I promise, it's worth it." Her silky voice replied as they turned the corner.

Colton, my brother, my blood. He hadn't changed a bit, and I finally felt my heart regain what it had lost. My brother starred in amazement as I approached him. We both suddenly fell into a hug, trying our best not to cry like little kids.

"How?" He asked, looking deep into my eyes as we separated.

"It's a long story." I replied. "But, I'd better like to know what ales you."

"I've been going through spells of weakness. It'll pass in a week's time." Colton explained, then gestured towards the black velvet couch. "Sit, we have much to discuss."

3:55AM

Colton and I went back and forth, comparing our notes on Mars. Once I had defeated Elliot's men in the seventies, I knew I could return home, but I had no idea where home was. At some point, I had run across the safe house in my search, but it had been abandon.

With Mars' new initiative, I knew the others would be flushed out, and forced to run for the safe house. Thank God I was right, because I got my family back. The others appear to be all Colton has told me; loyal, good people, trying to be accepted. I'm glad that it's no longer just the four of us against the world.

Unfortunately, the four is running the risk of becoming three. It's been hours, and Beau has yet to return. It seems, Bell has disappeared as well. I followed her scent out to the front porch, where she waited for her long lost love.

She looked like a puppy waiting for her master to come home. The poor thing was shivering, but wouldn't come inside. Sighing, I grabbed two cups of tea and a blanket, then walked outside to join her. She muttered a 'thank you' as I sat on the wood steps and handed her some warm camomile.

"So, how long have you and Beau been together?" I asked.

Her tired eyes shot open as she stuttered, "W-we aren't. I, um, I don't like him th-that way."

"Ah, I see." I responded, knowing she was lying yet again. "He'll come back, I promise you."

"I hope." She quietly said as she stared at her tea.

I know that feeling all too well. That 'hope' was slipping from her hands, and she had no way to catch it.

We sat in silence, with nothing but the stars and miles of field to look at. I'd offer to take her in, but it'd be no use, only wasted breath.

"So," She began. "You knew Beau?"

I smiled as I reminisced. "He and I are like brothers. He'd act like he'd hate me,"

"Then turn around and save your life?" Bell asked, finishing my sentence.

I laughed. "Yeah, that's him for ya'."

"That's him!" She expressed.

"Yeah, I know." I replied, not taking my eyes off my almost empty cup.

Bell pulled a bit on my shirt, saying, "No, that's him. Can't you hear the yelling?"

I focused my ears, soon hearing a very distinct cry of pain. "Stay here." I instructed as I headed towards the noise.

Did she listen? No. Bell followed me into the thick tall grass as I ran for the noise. We reached a clearing, where Beau had just finished putting a blade through a hunter. He stumbled back a bit, covered in blood. Whether it was his or theirs, I was scared to ask.

Bell instantly ran to his side, but she was too small to support him. I helped her, sensing that he was growing very, very weak. He had several open wounds, and blood running down every inch of his pale skin.

"Go ahead of me, alert the others." I told, well, more like demanded of her.

She nodded and ran back towards the house. Beau barely lifted his head to look at me.

"Guess it's true what they say; if you love something, let it go. If... If it comes back, it loves you too." He breathed out, still finding the energy for that cocky smile.

"I could say the same for you, but it's best you don't waste your air." I calmly replied, in the hopes my tone would soothe him.

I was half way back to the house when Sly came out and helped me drag Beau's almost limp body into the house. In the short time I've been here, the fox has already shown he has a very pure heart, but it's easily broken, like my own. I'm looking forward to the future we have with him.

He and I brought Beau to the basement, where a room had been prepped for us to save him. I may be a century old, but I still know medicine, and I practiced for many years when I was in search of my family. I'm sure Viona and Colton are still just as sharp in the field.

We laid Beau on a bed, immediately removing his shirt to assess the damage. His chest was covered in a series of deep cuts and wounds, even a bullet hole.

"Finch, hook him up on an IV." Viona ordered. "God, Beau, what did you get yourself into?"

He wanted to argue with her, but knew he was too weak. She began quickly dumping a bacteria killer into his lesser cuts, which made him hiss out in pain.

"He's losing too much blood!" She said. "Who has AB negative blood in this house?"

Colton and I exchanged looks, knowing neither of us did. He ran out of the room to find someone, anyone. My heart skipped a beat when he returned with Bell.

"Her, she's the only one." Colton sighed.

"No," Beau whimpered. "I won't... I won't hurt her."

"It's fine, Beau. I'd rather you don't die." Bell pleaded.

"No, Princess." He insisted.

Viona huffed. "It's now or never. Beau, you will die if you don't bite her right now."

"I swear to God, I will cut myself open and pour the blood down your throat if I have to!" She begged, half way to tears.

He took one look at her pitiful eyes, then whispered, "I'm sorry."

Beau grabbed her by the back of the neck, and her scream filler the room as he dug his fangs into her. I cringed, looking away as I was forced to hold her still.

He released his iron grip on her, giving her an overly apologetic look. Bell stumbled back, grasping her neck. She jumped with a gasp when my brother placed a hand on her, simply to just comfort.

Colton reached his hand out, gently prying her fingertips off the wound. The bite was lower, below anything vital, thank God.

"Come on, Bell. Seamus can help you with that, okay?" He softly asked.

"B-but, Viona is the only one that can heal wounds, right? Right?" She questioned with fear fogging her eyes.

"Seamus has the capability for it, and Viona's is a little... busy." Colton said, not a moment before Beau loudly groaned in pain.

Bell began to breathe heavily again. "He's going to be alright, right, Colton?"

"Yes," My brother replied. "But we need to get you well, too."

I sighed. "I'll take her, just watch over Beau."

Colton nodded, giving me look of abandoned dreams, and suffocating faith. I still hold onto my prayers, whereas I fear he does not.

I felt Bell cling to my arm like a child as she heard her love cry out again. Time to get her out of her! It took some force, but I managed to pull her out the door, and down the hall to the room Seamus, Sly, James, and Aleks all shared.

"Finch?" She began as right before I could knock on the door. "Have you ever been in love? True love?"

"Yeah," I sighed. "But I had to get her go."

"Oh, um... What's... What's it feel like?" Bell asked.

I looked at her a little shocked, and huffed as I rubbed the back of my neck. How do you describe something like that?

"Darlin', the best way I can explain it is, it makes you feel like a failure, because as much as you want to give that person the world, you know you can't."

She looked down at the ground, mumbling, "I guess I'm the world's biggest failure."

The poor thing was beside herself. I placed my hand on her shoulder in a reassuring manor. She lifted her head to look at me, revealing glassy eyes.

"I can tell you now, he loves you." I said. "I've never seen Beau look at a girl the way he looks at you, but the idea of love... It scares him. Give him time, okay?"

"You really think h-he, likes... me?" She questioned, hope sparking in those honey colored iris'.

"I know he does. Now, come on. We have to get that bite healed before it gets infected." I told her as I knocked on the bedroom door.

Sly opened the door, smiling a toothy grin. "Oh, hi! Come in." 

He moved past the door to allow them into the room. It looked like a glorified bomb shelter with concrete walls covered with black rugs to keep the heat in, two bunk beds across from each other, a small TV with a rack of DVDs stacked in the corner, and a wall of emergency supplies. They already had put their own touch on the room, with their things scattered about in the little space they had.

Sly jumped back on his top bunk, with Aleks under him. I looked across the room to see Seamus and James in the same position, except a little less interested. They were watching the first Fantastic Four. Guess Colton had enough time to upgrade this place every few years, but he couldn't get more recent movies, typical him. 

The TV sudden paused, earning a lot of disgruntled noises. 

"What the fuck, Sly?!" Aleks groaned.

"Sorry!" He replied. "But we have guests, geesh."

"Thank you, Sly. We'll be gone soon, we just need a hand... from Seamus." I said, which caused them to look at me strangely. 

"You realize he destroys more than he fixes, right?" Aleks asked, while Sly giggled. 

Seamus sighed. "I could say the same about you, asshole." 

"I never said I didn't destroy shit." He defensively responded, to which Seamus blew him off.

"What do you need?" He asked as he stood up. I drug my eyes over to Bell, as she stepped out from where she coward behind me. Seamus followed my stare, seeing the bite mark on her neck. "What the Hell happened?"

"It was to save Beau's life." She softly said. 

I sighed. "Advanced vamps with healing talents can heal others. Viona can't right now, I don't suppose you could?" 

"Viona taught me, but I've never done it on anything past a little scratch." He stressed. "That bite goes deep."

"You have to at least try." I replied. "If it gets infected..."

"I know!" He interrupted. "I know, but, if I do this, I want some answers."

"Answers?" I questioned, confused. 

Seamus paused, looking me dead in the eyes. "Viona never told you, did she?" 

I stopped, letting my mind turn for a moment. "Never told me what?"

I'm sorry for the long long hiatus on this story, but we're back in action!

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed, and if you did, I'd really appreciate if you show your support by leaving comments, voting, and all that magical stoof c:

I Love You, Outlaws!

~Meryl <3

Continue Reading