The difference she made!

By dreamyvoice

Synopsis Can Fajr prove to Khalid and her other relatives that being brought up in a western environment does... More

His view
Her view
The encounter
Family atmosphere (1)
Family atmosphere (2)
Grandfather
More about him
In the mall
Angry
Him again
The secret
His decision
A step closer...
Shocking news!
A challenge
Memories
The engagement
The wedding
Bossy
Unpredictable
The feast
care
Improvement
His unnoticeable smiles
His ex-wife
Trust
In Makkah
Together
Caring
"Feel me"
It's love
Her effect
"Share"
The way to the man's heart...
Planning for a special night
The accident
Healing Touches
His confession
A dose of love
A wife, not a foreigner
Unexpected worktrip
Khalid In Riyadh
A pleasant surprise
A turning point
Shattered and broken
A heart break
A wordless farewell
Longing
Friends in need
Crossing border
Bridging the gap
A final farewell (1)
A final farewell (2)
The End

His rules!

436 28 5
By dreamyvoice

ولأنه يعلم أن عينيه تربكني يطيل النظر

For he knows that his eyes fluster me, he keeps staring!

She was alone in the bedroom of his apartment after Um Khalid  and Huda left. Her eyes couldn't help flitting around to the surroundings of the classical-type bedroom. The ground was covered with engineered oak wood floors and a grey shag rug soften up floors look. The walls and ceiling were plain white with a large black elevated platform bed which had a white leather headboard. Small modern lamps mounted to the wall which had perfect art form for lighting with unique especially glow at night.

One of the walls was hid behind the black wardrobe which had large mirrors for its doors, with horizontal strips of frosted glass sticker. Across the side of the bed there was a black console table between a pair of white chairs with a large artwork above. The aroma of burnt incense, which Um Khalid had placed in the room still whirling in the air.

Everything was perfectly amazing except for the atmosphere which was unusual, so awkward as if it wasn't a wedding night of a normal couple. She heard his steps return after he walked Fatima and Huda to the apartment door.

He leant against the door for a moment, braced his arm on the door frame, observing her nervousness. With a quick look, he leveled her with his eyes, she looked beautiful more than what he'd expected. Although she wasn't looking at his direction, but she could feel his eyes on her and that made her even more nervous. She was not of those shy girls as far as he knew her, accordingly he wondered why she was muted the whole day, keeping her eyes glued to the floor.

Anyway, he knew how to make her talk!

Eventually, he took further steps in the room, took off his black Bisht and hanging it on the black clothes hanger snugged in the corner. After he closed the door, she heard his footsteps getting closer and his whole figure appeared in front of her, his Ghutra that he took off was still in his hand.

Withholding his smirk, he bent and said, "I think I won." His tone was calm and flat.

She looked up to meet his eyes, her eyes wide and jaw dropped, not sure if she heard him right. Still no words left her mouth. Shortly, he straightened up and took a seat on the bed next to her; "the challenge I mean!" he clarified. She definitely didn't expect to hear something like this, at least not now, but this was Khalid she would never predict what he was up to. 

She eyed him and arched an eyebrow; "what's this supposed to mean? you married me to win a challenge?"

Finally...She said something!

He thought she would speak up if he'd just provoked her, that was how he helpped her loosen her nervousness. He titled his head a little and replied; "although it's not the only reason but yeah."

Again she looked to the floor for a brief moment to wash away any expression on her face. "that's ridiculous." she said it in a low voice, but he heard her and confirming her statement, "ridiculous?! I guess so..."

Her eyes moved to him again as he put his Ghutra on the bed and folded his arms; "but I really want to know what made you change your mind?"

Although she suspected this question would probably come up, but she hadn't prepared an answer. Picturing all the circumstances in her mind. Unconsciously one word left her mouth, summarizing her thoughts; "Destiny!"

He reflected on that for a quick moment, moving his thumb under his chin; "Indeed it is." He paused; "any way the fact is; we are married now and we are a couple... you have become under my guardianship and everyone will be relieved now"

The way he talked with her, had slowly built up her rage, she didn't understand what he was exactly referring to by "be relieved" why did he talk about her as if she was a burden and he "the hero" was there to carry it?"

The type of their conversation, the conversation of a groom and his bride was rather an awkward one.

"for Allah's sake, don't start talking like this. I'm neither a child nor an insane that I need to be under someone's guardianship. And who do you mean by being relieved? Had anyone complained to you??"

After uttering the last words, a thought jumped to her mind "could it be really so? Had her father..."

He didn't let her think further as he cut the train of her thoughts by a short explanation; " no one complained, but those who care, worry a lot about you"

That's where the conversation took the wrong turn.

"and you "the poor man" forced yourself to take a risk and marry me to remove the worries" she was the one who smirked now.

"woman, weigh your words, no one can ever force me to do something if I don't want to." The confidence he felt inside extended to his face and his sharp eyes.

Fajr leapt to her feet, thinking of getting away out, but soon enough her wrist caught in an iron-like grip. It was not the first time he touched her today, but this touch was rough; "where to?" he asked in a very calm tone. "We are not done yet"

Fajr turned and looked at him, clenching her teeth; "what else, Khalid?"

The way she said his name in such a casual way got his attention, she pronounced the first letter of his name fluently in perfect Arabic style, she sounded Arabian, simple and spontaneous.

"some things that you, as a wife, have to know" He summoned her to sit with a motion of his hand; "sit down."

Not having so many options, she took her previous seat on the bed, not knowing where this whole thing was going to take her as he began stating his rules; "first of all, whenever we talk or even fight, you must not walk away before we finish our talk, and the very thing you have to know is that I am a very Arabian man. Our culture is very strict and conservative. You are not to go or leave anywhere without letting me know, and never share any part of our personal life with anyone"

He pointed at the walls of the room drawing a circle in the air with his index finger; "this place that we are sharing, whatever happens between us shall not be out of its walls." he paused, studying for signs of a negative reaction, but surprisingly he found none, all what he could get was a nod. He wanted to hear her voice, a verbal confirmation.

"Understood?" He asked more harshly than he intended.

"Pretty well!" Again she nodded, unreadable. Her expression was sober, but the look in her eyes had a strange impact on him, he tried to read her thoughts, but he couldn't and didn't figure the reason that made him feel uneasy.

One question kept roaming in her mind; "if he intended to treat me this way, why did he marry me?" Some time ago she was nervous, she thought they might start a new chapter of their life together, she might get time to understand him better, but those positive thoughts that she was trying to comfort herself with earlier, were all to no avail now.

Silence took over the place until he rose up and left the room. that was the time she allowed herself to release the breath she was holding.

what has she gotten herself into?

She remained at her place for a long time, her whole being turned numb.

By hearing the call for the Dawn prayer. She finally moved walking over to the dresser. She removed the pins from her hair, rubbed the make-up from her face with tissues then looked in the linen closet to get a suitable nightgown. During the process of searching, she kept murmuring;

Unbelievable! Not a single long outfit here!

God! Where have they put my long gowns?!

I am sure this is Ruqaya's doing!

At last, she picked up a flowered gown that at least covered her knees.

After taking a shower, she took the prayer mat from the bottom drawer of the bureau, realizing she didn't know the direction of Qiblah. She should have asked him before he left.

She got out of the room, the hall too dim to see the details of the whole place. Except, a thin bead of light came from the living room suggesting he must be there. She walked in with a pink towel wrapped around her head at the exact moment he got busy with the phone that buzzed in his pocket indicating an incoming text message and dragging him out of his thoughts.

He reached for his mobile before hearing her slippers flip flop around and he raised his eyebrows, asking unsaid question. What?

She cleared her throat; I want to ask about Qiblah direction.

"sure" He pointed to her left side; "this direction."

Driving his attention back to the message, he glanced at the preview to see it was from unsaved number, not hearing the whispered thanks she uttered before returning back to the bedroom.

He pulled up the full text to read;

I can't believe you could move on this easily and forgot everything about me! This is the second time you broke me apart, Khalid.

His eyes widened as he read the short message silently; Reem!

<><><><><><>

After saying her prayers, she dried her hair instantly until it floated down around her shoulders in a glossy curtain then climbed into bed thinking she might not be able to sleep here, but the comfort of the bed was exquisite. Besides, she needed to sleep, every single damn cell in her body did.

Some hours later, her eyes flew open as she felt a heavy weight laying on the right side of the bed. She was still hazily unconcerned when she turned and almost jumped as she saw him sleeping beside her. He was wearing a black T-shirt and pair of gray pajama pants, sleeping there so peacefully. She gasped against her lips, not knowing the time he got in the room and slept.

It was weird the feeling she got upon seeing him sleeping in the same bed. She swung her legs off the bed and slid into her cotton slippers. Although it was only a little after eleven in the morning, the room was as black as midnight, the rays of the sun were prevented from entering the room by the blinds and the reflective glaze.

After freshening up in the bathroom, she exited the bathroom and walked around the apartment and couldn't help but to admire his taste. She wondered how could he manage to mix simplicity with style and modern?

Now she could see every detail of the open living room which had comfortable furniture and a screen in the corner. at one corner a mini library with floor-to-ceiling shelves stood against the wall with a single fabulous armchair which turned out to be his favorite seat. This was where she saw him sitting at dawn time.

She took a seat on the L-shaped sofa that divided the living and dining spaces reflecting on how her life suddenly changed. She glanced at the ring on her finger and the dark brown patterns of Henna in her hands she wondered and silently wished; "Just if mom was here, I might..."

She sat in the living room for a while, not feeling easy to go back to their bedroom. She rested her head back on the sofa, closed her eyes and eventually she fell asleep.

Her eyes snapped open at his voice; "why are you sleeping here?"

He was in front of her, in his white thobe fastening his watch on his firm, flat wrist. Obviously he was getting ready to go out.

Fajr straightened up, using both hands to gather her  hair behind her head; "I am not sleeping."

"Clearly!" he said in an ironic tone.

Before he took any steps away, he told her; "I left your breakfast in the kitchen."

"Thanks. I am not hungry."

"Suit yourself!" he shurgged, heading to the entrance.

She glanced at the clock on the wall, it was already thirty past twelve. Perhaps he was going to the mosque.

************

Assalam Alikum, readers!

If you like the chapter, please don't foget to vote and comment.

Love

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

613 34 14
It's twenty years later and now the children are all grown up but you know what they say, like mother like daughter. Ismail is 24 and Ayesha and Mot...
62.4K 4.9K 47
Call it infatuation or just a passing phase, school newcomer Zaheer believes he has just experienced 'love at first sight' when he encounters the bea...
522 13 11
It's a love story with no name, so it could be you and the person in your mind. Pre-marital relationships are normal nowadays but are still taboo for...