Buried Love Of The Riches

By Raathi07

Adam Clarkson lived an easy life as the Managing Director of his Family business. At a young age he's been ha... More

Author's Note
1: Easy as pie
2: Jeans or Dress?
3: Scheming
4: Her Office
5: Playing Him
6: Black & White
7: Look With Ecstasy
8: Curious Man
9: Stay Positive
10: Frenemy
11: The Elevator
12: The Past
13: Leave In Awkwardness
14: I'd Still Choose You
15: Lucas is Loving Every Bit of This
16: Just Like Your Father
17: Those Words
18: Ego and Self-respect
19: Viola Martinez
20: She Notices Everything
21: Good Time
22: Women
23: Our Imperfections
24: The Best Friend
25: The Things We Don't Say
26: She Won't Be Easy
28: Cuba
29: Came For Love
30: Spur of the Moment
31: The Frustrated yet Confused
32: Those Chestnut Eyes
33: The Smiths
34: The Engagement
35: Wrong Meeting
36: One Too Many Drinks
37: Old and New Relationships
38: The Ex
39: Invitations
40: The Dinner
41: The Big Day
42: Afraid
43: Fancy Dressing
44: Engage With The Audience
45: The Last Supper
46: The End
≥ MUSIC USED ≤

27: Spring Break

803 46 3
By Raathi07

Song: Good News

Artist: Ocean Park Standoff

Spring Break

After what David Smith said, I left. My mother tried to stop me, but I said I was exhausted from California and wanted to be in my bed early when in fact, on the way to my apartment I cussed and banged my fists against the wheel repeatedly.

Again I have faced an unfortunate encounter with another Smith. Out of all of them, I tolerated Federico Smith. I haven't gotten to know Cole or Jacob Smith, but they gave off an odd feeling. Gabriella's aunt, Madeline was humorous, so she was okay.

It was Monday afternoon, and even though I was cramped with work that I missed out, even though I tried to do them in California, Nikita decided to visit the office. She spoke on and on about an important even I apparently missed, so she updated me on everything that happened and what everyone wore.

I guess she didn't mind that I didn't pay attention, she just wanted someone to be there while she spoke. From our past conversations, I've learned that I could do work while she spoke. I decided to go through the documents I had to sign later when I met up with my father.

Finally, we'd put a stop to Mr. Bloyd's company. We didn't need his services, but I guess since, the Smith's had him, my father wanted him. Lucas told me that over the years that, whatever David had, my dad wanted and vice versa. It was foolish how grown men performed toward each other just for the wealth and recognition of their family. I always assumed there was always more to the story.

"I hope I get to meet the wealthy bastard soon." Nikita snapped me out of my thoughts as I raised my head.

"Who?" I raised a brow. She sat in front of me with her leg folded over the other, we locked eyes, and she tilted her head.

"The mystery man my mother has been seeing, Adam!" she gasped then leaned back in her seat. "I've been going on about him for the past ten minutes...have you been listening?"

"Oh yes." I deeply sighed then went through the papers once more.

"Great so I asked her when I could meet him and she said that he's quite busy at the moment and I'd only see him at like...the end of the Spring." Nikita shrugged her shoulders then sighed.

"How unfortunate," I said.

"I know right! He must be a well-off middle-aged man to be so busy." She said then rolled her eyes. "Rich and single...my mother's ideal type. She always looks fo—"

Nikita stopped, and I raised my gaze to see her back toward me. I followed her direction of sight to see my sisters walk in. Alicia held her Louis Vuitton bag which matched her black dress while my poor younger sister gripped onto many shopping bags. I rose to my feet and walked toward them.

"Don't you ever knock?" I asked as I took a few bags from Claudette. "Or doesn't Mr. Forbes say anything?"

"Ugh, that guy with the glasses is like...no help." Alicia pursed her lips. "He kept saying you're busy when in fact I know you're not because Nikita texted me that she's here."

I looked over my shoulder and stared at Nikita. She sent me a sheepish grin as her cheeks turned red. I let out a huff as I put the bags on the sofa. Nikita walked to Alicia, and they greeted while Claudette collapsed onto the chair.

"This is not how I imagined a sister's day," Claudette stated as I returned to my seat. I laughed when I finally took in how many bags there were. Claudette took the hair tie from her wrist and tied her hair up into a high ponytail. She let her brunette locks hang over her right shoulder as she smiled at me. Alicia scoffed and stepped toward her.

"Look who's talking, all you do all day is whine and complain." Alicia placed her hands on her hips. "You've barely bought anything Claudette...you're going to New York soon, and you need an upgrade in wardrobe."

"I do all my shopping online, right Adam?" Claudette tilted her head at me.

"Don't involve me please." I sighed as I stared down at my work.

"This is not how I want to spend my Spring break...I want to do something fun, and you're boring Alicia!" Claudette exclaimed as my brows rose.

"Err...I can see this is turning into a sibling fight, so I'm just gonna' go." Nikita chimed in as she grabbed her purse from the table.

"NO!" Alicia, Claudette and I exclaimed as Nikita froze because we knew well enough that if we were left alone in the room, we'd kill each other. We might have been grown up, but we still acted like kids toward each other.

"Why don't you go visit a few cousins or hang out with your friends?" Nikita suggested as she looked at Claudette.

"Ugh, most of them are on Spring break, and most of our cousins are busy around the globe so..." Claudette huffed as she slouched in her seat.

"Have you finished packing for New York?" I asked as I avoided eye contact. Even though she'd only be a plane ride away, I'd miss my younger sister. The one who had a bigger perspective when it came to family issues.

"Yeah I spoke to Henry last night, and he said that some people are gonna' pick up my other thing, so all I have to bring is clothing." Claudette smiled at me.

"Which you barely have..." Alicia trailed off.

"I do!"

I gave Nikita a look as Alicia and Claudette argued over the amount and type of clothing. Nikita giggled as she rested her hand on Alicia's shoulder.

"Listen I have to go, but I'll visit soon," Nikita said and hugged my sisters. She turned to me with the corner of her mouth raised and smiled. Once she was gone, I tried to get back to work, but from the corner of my eye, I felt my sister's grins.

"What?" I demanded as I looked at them.

"Is there something going on between you two?" Claudette asked. "I didn't know you were into redheads."

"No, nothing is going on between Nikita and I...we've learnt to become enjoyable friends."

"Friends," Alicia emphasized as she collapsed on the sofa. I sent her a glare to which she laughed.

...

It was a warm evening, and I had Mason as well as my father over. Mason arrived earlier and brought dinner because I came home late. Dad came over because we had to sign a few forms regarding Mr. Bloyd and once we signed those papers, he'd finally be gone, and the Clarkson Hotels and Resorts would return to its normal pace. I'm glad that we've picked it up now rather than later when it's Summer Vacation because of that and Winter, was our busiest time of the year.

Dad and I were sat at by the island as we signed off the last papers. In the background, I heard the laughter of Mason Taylor as he watched TV. My maid came in today and did a basic clean up.

"Why was David at the house on Sunday?" I asked as the maid placed two cups of coffee in front of my dad and me.

"Just catching up and discussing future events," Dad answered straightaway then sipped his coffee.

"Did you invite him or did he just...show up?" I shrugged my shoulders then sorted the papers. Dad never answered, and I raised my head to see his gaze on me. His lips were drawn into a straight line as he stared at me with his cold eyes.

"Does it matter?" he raised a brow. I opened my mouth to speak, but dad cleared his throat and straightened his posture as he continued, "It shouldn't matter anyway, you're my son I don't need to answer to you."

My jaw went slack as I stared at my father. I knew he was right and I couldn't disobey him, I am a grown man, but I've been raised correctly. I lowered my gaze at the papers again as I put them in the folder. From the corner of my eye, I noticed Mason looked at us.

It only occurred to me then that the television was turned down. The only sound to be heard was the slurps of my father when he'd drink coffee and the distant murmurs of the television voices.

Mason was dressed in his gym wear and said he'd wait for me, but at the situation that we're in, I'd prefer that he be in the gym rather than down here with my father.

"So, when are you going on that trip with mom?" I asked since I've never heard about it before. When dad told David, it's the first time I ever heard of it. When I asked my siblings, they were surprised too.

"Oh, in a couple of days. Your mother and I have a few things we have to sort out here then we'll be gone for a week or two." Dad responded as he took the file from me.

"That's great; it's been long since the two of you have been somewhere alone," I said because if my parents went anywhere, it'd be for work or a function.

"Indeed, your mother is very excited," Dad said as he rose to his feet and gathered his things. Simultaneously Mason stood up as I did.

"Well, I'll be loaded with work, so I don't think I'll be able to see you," I said as I looked at my father. "Hope you enjoy your trip and tell mom too."

Dad nodded then turned to Mason who approached us from the living room. He shook hands with my father with a smile plastered on his face. Dad turned around, and we hugged. Something about the hug made me uncomfortable since it was longer than our regular hugs and that he was stiff.

When dad left, I noticed he didn't drink the rest of his coffee. I drank the little remains of mine as Mason went up to the gym and set things up for us. My maid lingered around and cleaned from dinner. I had her for a few years, so I trusted her as I went upstairs to change.

Since it was a long day, I decided on a black pair of Nike shorts, muscle tee, and runners. We only did warm-ups then boxing. Once I was done, I went downstairs and grabbed two bottles of water and my phone.

When I checked my phone, I was surprised to see that Gabriella tried to call me a couple of times. The last time she tried to call was ten minutes ago. It was strange that she called but didn't even leave one message. I decided to leave a little message in case if it was anything urgent.

Adam: Everything okay?

She didn't reply straight away, so I went to the gym and joined Mason. As I walked down the hall, the music got louder. When I entered the room, I noticed him by the punching bag. His brunette locks bounced with every punch he made.

I put my phone and the water bottles down then walked around the room. He noticed me from the corner of his eye and slowed down his movements. I stood on the opposite end and held the punching bag as he repeatedly hit it.

After five minutes, we switched, and I put my gloves. My eyes were on the bag, but my mind was on the several phone calls Gabriella sent. It was odd that she'd call but not leave at least one message.

"Whoa, there." Mason's laugh snapped me out of my thoughts. I blinked and realized I'd hit too hard as he gripped on the bag. He tilted his head and raised a brow. "I think we should take a break."

I laughed and sat down on the bench. I checked my phone once again yet there was nothing. Mason turned the music down then sat beside me. He drank the water as I took my gloves off.

"So, how was California?" Mason asked. I turned to him and noticed how he wiggled his brows.

"It was good." I nodded as I thought over what happened the past week. My brows knitted in frustration as I thought of that one day when Gabriella and I walked on the beach. "She's a smoker."

Mason didn't seem phased as he set his bottle down then stared at the ground. His shoulders slouched as he made a steeple with his fingers and spoke, "Huh, I would've never thought."

"Same here, but I caught her smoking with the workers," I said and sighed at the memory.

"How long?"

"I don't know but her assistant Dominique told me that, that's why she chews gum all the time. To resist the temptation to have a cigarette." I said and remembered the kiss we shared at the apartments. When she had gum in her mouth, and I got annoyed and took it out.

"That explains a lot." He said then let out a chuckle. "I thought it was to release stress or not go out on you."

I playfully rolled my eyes to which he laughed. I was about to tell him about her uncle until I heard voices downstairs. Mason must've known it too when he turned to me with a raised a brow.

"Your maid still here?" he asked as I rose to my feet.

"Yeah, she's just cleaning up," I said then listened in further. Suddenly we heard taps that bounced off the walls as they got louder. I looked over my shoulder at Mason who seemed as confused as I was since he shrugged.

When I turned to the door, I was surprised to see Gabriella Smith walk in with a smile plastered on her face. She let out a squeal as she stopped and kicked off her heels then ran toward me.

My eyes widened as she raised her arms then jumped onto me. I staggered back as my arms wrapped around her while her legs locked around my waist. It was odd to hear her laugh as I looked up at her.

"Why are you so happy?" Mason asked as Gabriella finally pulled away and landed on her feet. I noticed she couldn't suppress the smile on her face as it only grew. Gabriella's eyes flickered from Mason, then to me.

"We got it!" she squealed as I raised a brow. "The investors, they're signing the contract as we speak!"

My eyebrows rose, and I let out a laugh as she jumped up and down and squealed. From the corner of my eye, I noticed Mason rose to his feet then stood beside me as we watched Gabriella.

"Congrats, you two," Mason said as he rested his palm on my shoulder. "This calls for a celebration."

"Indeed, Mister Taylor!" Gabriella said then turned to me. "We did it!"

"No, you did it," I said as she tilted her head at me. "I don't know what you did that day to persuade them, but it was all on you."

"Thank you, Adam." She said, and I noticed how her features softened. Gabriella turned to Mason as the corner of her mouth rose. "We're gonna' have a real celebration and vacation...pack your bags boys, we're going to Cuba for Spring Break." She announced and although I was happy I couldn't help but think why she chose Cuba of all places. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.1K 552 37
Alexander Agnor, the haughty and heartless tyrant with a perfectly sculpted face. As its CEO, he runs the Agnor Industry. In public, he wears the mas...
27 7 19
Harry Cooper serves as the CEO of a prominent American company. Emma Anderson, working diligently as his assistant, inadvertently stumbles upon Harry...
5.4M 223K 75
Hate at first sight, revenge at next and then comes total chaos! ∆∆∆ "The ones you love the most have the power to hurt you the most." Vanessa Cather...
2.1M 61.5K 56
''There is only one thing crossing my mind right now. If he hates me so much, then why the hell is he kissing me back?'' ----------------------- Emma...