The Golden Rule

By MissBonnett

James has one golden rule. Never date a werewolf. Sure, he'll date another wizard like himself, a vampire, a... More

Chapter One: Paper
Chapter Two: Cotton
Chapter Three: Leather
Chapter Four: Flowers
Chapter Five: Wood
Chapter Six: Iron
Chapter Seven: Copper
Chapter Eight: Bronze
Chapter Nine: Pottery
Chapter Ten: Aluminum
Chapter Eleven: Steel
Chapter Twelve: Silk
Chapter Thirteen: Lace
Chapter Fourteen: Ivory
Chapter Fifteen: Crystal
Chapter Sixteen: Silverware
Chapter Seventeen: Furniture
Chapter Eighteen: Porcelain
Chapter Nineteen: Aquamarine
Chapter Twenty: China
Chapter Twenty-One: Brass
Chapter Twenty-Two: Copper
Chapter Twenty-Three: Silver Plate
Chapter Twenty-Five: Silver
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Four: Opal

11K 811 111
By MissBonnett

ERIC

Eric didn't waste any time. He pounced, eager to pin Laurence into the ground and rip his throat out. From the moment he saw his mate underneath that beast, whose teeth were aimed for his neck, Eric saw red. He tasted blood. He wanted to gouge the life right out of Laurence. All the hair on Eric's body stood. James was right behind him and Eric could focus on his breathing and the rapid beat of his heart. He would always remember the way it skipped when James' eyes finally landed on Eric.

God, he loved that man.

Laurence, a dark red wolf thrashed in the snow on the way to his feet. He's sloppy, Eric noted. He had the coordination of a drug addict with erratic and unpredictable movements. Laurence rushed around the wrecked tree, growling and aimed at Eric like a loaded gun.

With a snicker, Laurence prepared his stance. He said, "So you've come? I never took you for an idiot, Eric. I've killed dozens of wolves just like you. Did you think you could leave these woods alive? What makes you so special?"

"Don't act surprised now before we've even begun," Eric stated. From the sky, fresh snow fluttered down. "Because I don't expect you to act surprised later when you're begging me to spare your pathetic life. I already warned you, Laurence. I gave you the chance to surrender. You've left me with no other option. Remember, you asked for this."

Eric's pack was fighting, battling the other wolves alongside Frances and a few of his bodyguards. It would be good if they could take out a few wolves from Black Timber, but at the end of the day, the only battle that truly mattered was this one. This was the duel that counted because the victor took all: the pack, the land, and James.

At once, Eric and Laurence lunged for each other. Laurence snapped his jaw once and created a clap like thunder. The Alpha in Eric burned, eager to dominate. It was a heat that wouldn't be cooled until Laurence was a whimpering mess. Eric's teeth sunk into Laurence's neck at the same time a pain exploded in Eric's own neck. He reacted, unconsciously digging his claws into Laurence's body and shoving him off. Both their wolves growled and snarled because the time to be human was over. It was the time for instincts to lead the conversation. This was the old way. This was the only way that was going to get through Laurence's thick head. Someone wasn't making it out of this fight alive.

As Eric shoved Laurence, he jumped and expected to pin the beast, but both wolves ended up rolling around in the snow, round and around as Eric snapped his teeth wildly at Laurence. He could taste the man's blood as he spat out junks of his red fur. Eric's bones were buzzing. This adrenaline gave Eric a taste of a high stronger than any mortal drugs. This was dominance. This was being a true Alpha.

Eric's paw suddenly slipped on a patch of ice and he landed with a heavy slam onto his back. It was the opening Laurence must have been waiting for and Eric cursed. Laurence's teeth bore into Eric's shoulder and Eric couldn't contain the cry that rattled his throat. Laurence shook his head, ready to rip a chunk out of Eric. His whole body tensed up, aching alongside the sharp pain.

"Eric!" James called his name and Eric amassed enough strength and clawed up Laurence's face, catching the beast's eye. Laurence roared, distracted long enough for Eric to escape. He drove his head into Laurence's chest and knocked him away. Eric stood but stayed low to the ground.

The two wolves circled each other, growling and anticipating the next move. Impatient, Laurence lunged again, but Eric saw it coming. He twisted, kicking Laurence with his hind legs and sending him into the air, through the branches of a tree. Before Laurence could even land, Eric charged. He flew past the woods and dove for Laurence. He sunk his teeth into Laurence's neck, locking down his jaw and when Laurence thrashed, Eric didn't let go. He wrapped his whole mouth around the beast's neck and suddenly, a loud snapping sound echoed through the woods and Laurence's body slumped.

Eric released him, spitting a mouth full of blood into the snow. He hadn't noticed before, but blood covered the snow in large revolting puddles and splattered the trees. He looked down at Laurence, listening for a heartbeat. He was met with silence.

In a flash, Eric transformed back into his mortal form and shouted, "ENOUGH!"

The wolves slowly stopped fighting. His family cornered the remaining Black Timber wolves. Eric clenched his fists, his skin buzzing. There was still so much power and energy coursing through his body that just wanted to be let out. He felt like an exploding star. His voice carried over the wolves, some were his own, most of them were not. No matter what, apart from his own father, the wolves bowed their heads.

He announced, "Your Alpha is dead. I will give you a choice just as I gave him. Submit to me and the Red Carnation Pack and you will be given a home. Reject me. Refuse to submit," he took a step forward, "Well, you better disappear or expect to share the same fate as your fallen Alpha. I will give you a week to decide!"

For a moment, the Black Timber wolves uncomfortably looked around. No one knew what to do first, but once one wolf ran, the others followed suit. Eric commanded a couple of the Gamma wolves. "Mitch! Carlos! Dispose of Laurence. Clear out his home. Spread the news."

And like that, they dispersed.

Eric looked down. He closed his eyes and tried to desperately control his breathing. Then, a cold, yet tender touch wrapped around his arm. "Eric," James whispered and Eric turned, meeting his teary-eyed mate. His cheek was swollen and while his eyes were pink, one was haloed by a dark purple bruise. He shivered, wrapped up in someone's jacket and the moment Eric noticed he wasn't wearing shoes, he gasped.

Quickly, Eric swept James off the ground and held him tight. He listened for James' heartbeat and suddenly, the tension in his muscles eased. James wrapped his arms around Eric's neck and they just held onto each other. Touching James just made it feel real. That the nightmare was over and James was really safe inside his arms.

"Eric," James whispered his name again and before he could speak, Eric kissed him. He kissed him quick with several greedy kisses before Eric held onto him again. James said, his voice trembling, "I thought- I didn't know if I was ever going to see you again-"

"I promise James, there's nowhere you could go that I wouldn't find you," Eric said, keeping himself from holding James too tight and crushing him. Eric sniffed, looking up to keep his own tears at bay. The relief flooded his head, putting pressure on the front of his face. He hated that his mate was frozen that he was soaking wet. He had to get James home.

"I'm sorry," James said quickly and Eric started to walk. He could sense his family behind him, itching to get closer. They were holding themselves back. They must have known Eric wanted space. Just for right now. He just wanted to be alone with James.

"Don't be sorry."

"But I am. I never meant what I said, that I didn't know why we were mates. I was just angry. That's all. Eric, you're-"

"I know."

"No, you don't understand." James leaned away, pressing his forehead against Eric's shoulder. He held onto his clothes. "Thinking about you, kept me sane. You are my heart, Eric Silva and I fall in love with you over and over again. When I'm with you... God," he gripped Eric's shirt tighter. "Everyone sees me as this Oracle or a matchmaker or an orphan, but with you... I just feel like James. I get to be James and that's enough. Life is no good without you anymore. It's tasteless and the color fades. I want to be with you all the time. I'm obsessed with the way you think and see the world and how you work so hard to make it a great and safe place for everyone, so-"

"James, James," Eric said to slow him down. He smiled, fondly and kissed James' forehead, but he didn't lift his lips very far. He whispered, "It's okay. I know you love me. There was never any doubt."

"I don't care if we have a wedding..." James took a deep breath and managed a steady stare. He shook his head. "I'm done making plans Eric. I just want to spend my life with you in any way I can and I want..." James leaned up and spoke softly into Eric's ear. "I want you to mark me. I want to be completely yours."

A primal growl tickled the back of Eric's throat. It faded into a chuckle as he whispered against James' neck. "You drive me crazy, James in the best ways." James smiled and rested his head against Eric's chest. Little by little, Eric's mate warmed up. He chuckled, "You talk too much, but eventually you land on the right thing to say."

"Shut up," James said breathlessly, hitting Eric's chest before he broke out into tears again. Eventually, the rest of the wolves caught up and Eric met eyes with Elias. Elias transformed back into a human and he was in the roughest shape. He could only stand with the help of Eric's father keeping him upright. Without a word, Elias simply bowed his head.

Eric would deal with him later.

"James! James!" Delphine shouted the second they were visible from the road. She had parked on the side. It was a long endless highway between endless amounts of trees. James perked up and melted when he saw Delphine. She was already crying, "My darling!"

Forgetting about the snow and how she was still wearing her evening dress, Delphine ran to James. When she was close enough, James practically flew out of Eric's arms to embrace her. She stroked his hair, crying into the crook of his neck. "Oh, thank God. Thank God. Don't you ever do that to me again, you hear me? I'll die, James Connolly. I will just die. You're frozen!" She pulled back with her narrowed brow.

On that, Eric carried James back the rest of the way to the car. Peter was inside, ready with a new set of clothes. Eric's father said they would follow them and climbed into Frances' car, along with Elias, who couldn't get away that easily. The other wolves, whom he could not thank enough also started the journey back home on foot.

So, they started to drive with Delphine at the wheel. Peter sat in the front seat, but his arm was reaching back and holding James' hand. This was how Eric found out Peter was half Fae. Peter was gently healing James, a soft light pulsing between their magical hands. Izzy and Leo sat in the very back while James leaned against Eric's chest in the middle seat. Just holding James helped speed up the healing process for Eric's wounds.

Resting on top of the seat, Izzy stared at James. "We're so relieved that you're okay, you have no idea." Her dark hair was tied up in a ponytail and she wore clothes so simple, Eric didn't know she had them. She already had her arm bandaged. Alex was back at the Black Timber pack, acting as Beta and in-charge until Eric could deal with them.

"Thanks," James smiled. The point was to let him sleep, but Izzy wasn't very good at following directions. At least he looked comfortable in Peter's sweat-shirt and sweatpants. It made him smell like flowers, like Peter. Eric couldn't wait to get James alone. To mix their smells and wrap James in Eric's personal brand of armor.

"Yeah," Leo laughed uncomfortably. It's the first time Eric heard him speak today. He didn't even fight them when Eric said Leo had to stay at the car with Delphine and Peter.

Leo sat up too. "Eric might go back to the way he used to be, all grumpy and mean."

"Okay," Eric sighed. This was his least favorite game.

"No, he'd be worse," Izzy laughed.

"And that's saying something," Leo agreed.

Eric just sighed again. At least they were making James smile. Eric placed a kiss on James' head, moving his hair out of his forehead. His skin was glowing slightly orange like a sunset from Peter's magical influence. James' snuggled against Eric, grabbing Eric's arm and slinging it over his body. Eric chuckled a little.

"James," Eric spoke up. He was suddenly nervous. It surprised even himself.

"Hm?" James hummed.

"Let's get married."

"What?" James let go of Peter's hand. He sat up, meeting Eric's eyes on the same level. He had a look like Eric asked him a riddle. Eric laughed and fondly caressed James' cheek. The whole car went quiet.

"James," Eric started but was quickly interrupted.

"Eric Silva, you never cease to amaze me and if this is a proposal," Delphine said, her voice quivering with excitement. She reached underneath the collar of her dress and took out a necklace. Hanging loosely from the chain was a simple gold ring. Inside, the infinity sign was engraved. She said, "you'll need a ring."

"Why do you even have that?" Peter quirked his head. He glanced at the other for answers that never came.

She said, "It was Nathan's ring."

"Delphine-" James began to argue, but she held up her hand.

"Think of it as a family heirloom."

"Thank you," Eric said. He turned his attention back to James. James with his face completely flushed and rosy red with slightly widened eyes. Eric smiled. "James Connolly," he said and James just started nodding as if he was just called-on in class and Eric just smiled wider. "You don't let me skip out on life. You don't and I doubt you ever will. Because of you, I experience life to the fullest. I have a life. A great one and it's all thanks to you. I was willing to miss it, but you never let me, so because of that..."

Eric took a deep breath. He hadn't realized he was holding it. Eric took the gold band from the necklace and held it up for James. "I'm not going to let you miss out on something that matters so much to you. James, I love you. I always will and I want to make that same promise to everyone we know. So, will you marry me?"

"Yes!" James said instantly and clapped his hands over Eric's cheeks, bringing him into a kiss. Eric chuckled into the next kiss, wrapping an arm around James' waist to pull him into a longer, deeper kiss. Around them, the car burst into applause. Izzy even had her phone out with their mother on speaker. Eric's mother was crying louder than anyone.

James leaned up and Eric wiped the tears from his cheeks. He held James' hand, kissing his ring finger before sliding the gold band across his knuckle. It wasn't a perfect fit. It was slightly loose, but it would do.

"I just want to skip ahead," James shook his head staring at the ring. "Let's just run to some chapel and get married there. We're all together, right? I just want to be your husband right now."

"Husband has a nice ring to it," Eric smirked.

"Well..." Delphine spoke up, sniffling the remainder of her tears. "I am an ordained minister."

"Of course, you are," Peter chuckled.

The car was quiet again, but there was a thrum of eagerness between them. They all met each other's eyes, manifesting the same idea six times. James smiled and asked, "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" He squeezed Eric's hand.

"Izzy," Eric turned to his sister, "Tell Mom and Dad to stop at the next town. We have a little detour."

Author's Note

There's only one more chapter left and a little prologue! You're cordially invited to the best spur of the moment wedding ever!

Remember to vote and tell me what you thought about the chapter! How does this proposal compare to the first?

If you'd like to support my working, you can here: ko-fi.com/missbonnett

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 3.1K 22
I was a human girl looking for a safe place from the supernatural creatures that had invaded our world. I never expected to be a mate to a powerful w...
4.1K 201 32
Reminder! If you haven't already, read the first book before this one! https://my.w.tt/xvQqWeLaI2 Since James had met Tera, his whole life was chang...
9.4K 299 37
A powerful witch collides with the primal allure of a dominant alpha wolf. Lilian, a fiery witch with a penchant for chaos, finds herself thrust into...
16.3K 2.9K 36
Erik's mate, Katharina, died eighty years ago. Werewolf mates are for life. There are no break-ups or second chances. On the night of the Blood Moon...