The Golden Rule

By MissBonnett

James has one golden rule. Never date a werewolf. Sure, he'll date another wizard like himself, a vampire, a... More

Chapter One: Paper
Chapter Two: Cotton
Chapter Three: Leather
Chapter Four: Flowers
Chapter Five: Wood
Chapter Six: Iron
Chapter Seven: Copper
Chapter Eight: Bronze
Chapter Nine: Pottery
Chapter Ten: Aluminum
Chapter Eleven: Steel
Chapter Twelve: Silk
Chapter Thirteen: Lace
Chapter Fourteen: Ivory
Chapter Fifteen: Crystal
Chapter Sixteen: Silverware
Chapter Seventeen: Furniture
Chapter Eighteen: Porcelain
Chapter Nineteen: Aquamarine
Chapter Twenty: China
Chapter Twenty-One: Brass
Chapter Twenty-Three: Silver Plate
Chapter Twenty-Four: Opal
Chapter Twenty-Five: Silver
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Two: Copper

10.2K 748 113
By MissBonnett

ERIC

From out of nowhere, James' scream hit Eric's ears like a clap of thunder. His mate's cry rattled Eric's skull and brought him to his knees. He gripped the side of James' desk, bowing his head as the ringing sliced through his ears. His claws went right through the wood, taking out a corner of the desk.

Delphine called his name, but Eric could hardly make out her voice. It was a dull plea as if Eric was submerged under water. James screamed again, and Eric did everything to repress his sharpening canines. Even his bones ached, eager to shift. His mate was hurt. Eric had no idea where he was.

Eric was useless.

Finally, Delphine's voice broke through the haze. She shouted, shaking his shoulder, "Eric! Get a grip! Eric!"

"I'm..." Eric swallowed as the world faded back into existence. "I'm sorry." He didn't feel comforted, even though his headache softened, and the ringing faded. James' stopped screaming and that could have meant anything. Eric pressed his hand to his forehead, pulling himself up by what was left of the desk.

"Don't be sorry," Delphine sighed, tearing the feathers out of her hair. There was nothing she could do to take the wrinkle out of her forehead. "Just don't fall apart. You're supposed to be the sensible one here. What was that?"

"I can..." Eric started, unsure if he wanted to be totally honest. "I can feel James."

"And?" Delphine held her breath.

"We need to find out who Elias Baines is and more importantly, who he's working for."

Delphine nodded, sucking her lips in. She turned back to her desk, searching through her endless stacks of papers and unorganized business cards. Eric glanced at the broken piece of the desk by his feet and the explosion of wooden splinters. He had to get a grip.

Eric's phone rang only once before he answered, "What did you find out?"

"Well," Frances grunted. Behind him, Eric could hear a car door slamming and the sound of an engine revving to life. "Mr. Baines seems to be a popular guy in crowds with deep pockets. The guy specializes in finding people, protecting people, but also making people disappear. What's good for us, is it seems he has no alignment to any house or family."

"What do you mean?" Eric asked as Delphine gasped. He quickly walked around James' desk, walking behind her to spy over her shoulder. With a grin, she held up a business card. In silver writing, it said The Black Timber Wolves.

She whispered, "These were the pricks from a couple of months ago that wouldn't take no for an answer."

"I remember," Eric whispered back and tried not to show Delphine that his stomach twisted. The Black Timber wolves were known for being vicious, for starting fights and ending them with as much violence as possible. This was the kind of pack that couldn't grow in numbers because there weren't many wolves that could survive the lifestyle. They were still stuck in the old world with duels, punishment by public execution and harems of multiple mates. These wolves would not be above kidnapping. The thought of James being among them gave Eric a sour taste in the back of his throat.

Frances explained, "I'm saying the guy is a werewolf, but without a pack."

"So, he's a Rogue?" Eric's brow scrunched. If that was true, Elias would be unlike any Rogue Eric had ever seen. Elias was civilized with an air of caution. This man operated with charm and intelligence. Eric would have never guessed he was a Rogue. The kind of wolves that were more monsters than men, who were stricken from society. The Black Timber Wolves were just one step up from Rogues.

"From what people have said, they think he's an Alpha or a Beta. He's not like the average Gamma."

Eric took the business card from Delphine and then, told Frances, "We'll talk more when you get here-"

"Wait," Frances spoke up. "It's important that he's a Rogue. Do you know Alpha Madison?"

"Yes," Eric confirmed and from the corner of his eye, a thought dawned on Delphine. She hummed and started rummaging through James' drawers. Eric moved out of the way and said, "She's from a pack by the coast."

"Yeah, well she hired Elias before to find a long-lost brother. He brought the kid back and Madison said he didn't outright ask, but he had made it clear he was looking for a pack. She wasn't sure if it was safe to let another Alpha into her back so..."

"Really?"

"Yeah. She said he looked tired."

Eric considered it. "Thank you, Frances. I need you to call my parents, tell them to hurry and get over here with the militia."

"You got it. Eric..." France paused and Eric was so distracted by the business card, he hardly noticed. When Frances spoke up, it jarred Eric slightly. He stood straight as Frances said, "It's going to be okay. James is tough."

Eric blinked, thrown by the sincerity in Frances' voice, but he nodded. This didn't rid of his tension, but his shoulders felt a little less heavy to carry. With a small smile, he said, "thanks, Frances. You're... you're a good friend."

Frances snorted. "I'm like your only friend."

And he ruined it.

Eric hung up the phone and held up the Black Timber Wolves business card. On the other side, someone had written: you'll want to change your mind. Eric crumbled the paper. He dialed the number as heat crawled up his neck into the back of his head. Eric licked his lips, already counting to ten. For now, he had to think with his head and muffle his emotions to the back. If he spoke from his heart, he'd vow to rip these people apart with his teeth. Eric closed eyes and counted all the way to twenty before someone answered the phone.

"Who is this?" A man answered.

Narrowing his brow, Eric started strong. "This is Eric Silva, the Alpha of the Red Carnation pack and I don't really care who you are. Put your Alpha on the phone right now or your neck will be the first one I snap..." So much for being delicate. After a lull, Eric growled, "I also don't want to be kept waiting."

The man on the other line said, "Uh, one second." Eric only heard rustling after that. Eric stayed perfectly silent and still. He focused, listening for any sign of James. There were two muffled voices talking to each other, but Eric couldn't make any of it out.

Eventually, the Alpha, Laurence spoke. He always spoke like he had ripped vocal cords as if his throat was filled barb wire. "Alpha Silva, I'd say this is a pleasure, but I hate surprises."

"As do I."

"But I'm intrigued. What in the world could be the reason you called me? Well, one of my Gammas to be more specific and you even threatened them? I dare say, Alpha Silva, you're playing with fire."

"Laurence," Eric said, purposely dropping the title. "I'm only going to give you one chance. If you cooperate, I'm willing to go easy on you..." Laurence only laughed in return, but Eric continued, "Admit to me that you have an Oracle in your possession."

"What? Who?" Laurence laughed again. "Alpha Silva, I don't know what you're talking about."

"Okay," Eric gritted his teeth. "Are you sure that's your answer? You can't take it back Laurence. If you force my hand, there's no saving your pack. There's nothing I won't do. I don't care who gets hurt in the process."

"You're sounding awfully Rogue-ish, Eric. I thought you were above that and I don't like being accused of lying. I've never met James in my life-"

"I never said his name," Eric said, straightening his shoulders. Suddenly, Eric was hyper away of everything. "Laurence."

Again, the wolf cackled on the other end. "Come now, Eric. The Oracles are famous-"

"When I asked, you said who? Stop playing games. Tell me where James is."

Seconds went by without an answer and Eric gripped the phone tighter. Finally, Laurence spoke and Eric could just feel the smirk across that fucker's face. "You don't have to worry about James, Eric...." Every time he said James' name, Eric's chest constricted just a little tighter. His head wasn't just hot anymore, his whole body was set on fire. 

"He's happy in his new home and won't be needing you anymore. He mentioned a mate, but I just couldn't believe that an Alpha could resist biting such a pretty neck. Didn't have the balls for it, Eric?" He laughed again. "I doubt I'm going to have the same problem."

"If you touch him-!" Eric's yell went unheard as Laurence canceled the call and, in that instant, Eric crushed his phone inside his hands. Sparks flew out of the small metal case, pricking Eric. Shards of the glass stuck to his skin, but he dropped his hand and let the mess fall to the floor. Eric cursed and kicked James' chair over. His wolf clawed at the walls of Eric's chest, shredding Eric's skin. He wanted out. Eric wanted to let it out. If anything happened to James. What was happening now was killing Eric and if he lost James.... Eric doubted he could go on anymore. This was the first time Eric ever wished he wasn't a werewolf.

No, he couldn't think like that.

It was because Eric was a werewolf- an Alpha, that he was going to get James back.

"I think I'll handle the next phone call," Delphine said and took out her phone.

With a long sigh, Eric settled his nerves just enough to remain human. He asked, "Who are you calling?" As he asked, Eric's nose hairs tickled. He could smell home and immediately, his eyes stung. In a flash, Eric was downstairs, running to his mother and father, his siblings and other members of the back on the street. His mother's eyes were gold and furrowed in a harsh scowl. Eric never saw her this way.

Her shoulders were rolled back. She stood defiantly, her chin up to the sky. "Don't worry," She spoke like she could see the future too. "Eric. No one takes a member of our pack and gets away with it."

"Do you have any leads?" Eric's father asked.

"Leads?" Eric smirked. "I have a plan."

#

JAMES

James turned over, convulsing. His body was drenched in sweat. Everything hurt, especially his face. James had an inkling that it wasn't just a vision, but Magnus did punch him in the face. James could hardly open his eyes, they were so sensitive to the light.

Suddenly, someone was beside him and James flinched. Barely able to move, he scooted away from the body, even though he was still gagging. James covered his mouth. He couldn't do it. He didn't want to have to live with the smell of his own vomit or a pool of it on this bed. It'd just make everything worse.

"It's okay, it's okay," it was Elias again and he carefully laid his hand on James' back. "I have a bucket, let it all out."

James didn't need to be told twice.

James threw his body over the bed and heaved into the bucket. His muscles constricted as he shook and had to throw up again. He convulsed a few more times until his body realized there was nothing more to vomit. Groaning, James rested his heavy head on the bed. Just resting took too much effort. His body still trembled and when he managed to open his eyes, Elias' handkerchief was there.

Reluctantly, James took it. "Why?" He croaked and rubbed the sewage off the corner of his mouth. "Why don't I see anything when I touch you?"

"I think the drug's effects are wearing off," Elias said and sat the bucket on the ground.

"No, I mean you rubbed my back before, didn't you?" James shook his head. He straightened his arms, noticing the bruise blooming inside his elbow where the needle pierced his skin. James shuddered. "Before," he grunted and slid his legs over the side. He wavered, but Elias wrapped his arm around James' shoulder to keep him steady.

Elias didn't say anything at first. Finally, he admitted. What was the point of lying anymore? "I asked a witch to bewitch me. In my line of work, it's better to leave no trace. So, no matter what I do, where I go or where I'm going, magic obliterates my existence."

"That's..." James said as the room started tilting. Quickly, he closed his eyes and fought the haze of nausea. "That sounds lonely."

"Yes," Elias said a bit quicker this time. "I doubt even the great matchmakers like you Delphine could find me a match."

James chuckled, weakly. "Be careful, don't challenge us because we would take you up on it-" James flinched as a headache smacked the front of his skull. James dropped his head into his hands, pressing the ache back.

"Lie back down, James."

"No. I have..." James couldn't say it that he needed to escape. Elias at his bedside was nothing but pity. There was no way this guy was just going to switch sides for no reason. Elias did this to make himself feel better. James opened his eyes. He glanced up at Elias, unable to keep from wincing. "If you want to help, go get me some water. Maybe... maybe something I can hold down."

Elias nodded as if he was going to salute James. He hopped up and thankfully took the bucket with him. That was too easy. James lifted himself off the bed, fumbling into the round table. He threw himself off that and into the wall. There were colorful orbs of light still flickering in and out of James' vision, which just made him dizzy.

James managed to hobble to the door. He rested his head against the wood and held onto the knob. "Please be open," he whispered and when he twisted the knob, the door opened. Elias must have thought James wouldn't be able to even reach the door. James peaked between the crack and saw no sign of a guard.

Glancing back, he knew there wasn't anything in that room that would help him. After one of the prisoners used the glass from a picture frame to slit their wrists, there hasn't been any glass. Not even a mirror. James' eyes stung from the memory, from feeling the same soul crushing misery. He wore that vision like a coat made of lead.

James crept into the hallway and took the opposite way from that board room. He kept himself pressed into the wall and then, took a sharp turn when he found the stairs. That was when it hit James. They could smell him. James closed his eyes and used the last of his strength to cut off his smell. His legs trembled as he took the steps one at a time. He finally reached the bottom that led into another hallway and just like the other, it was empty aside from doors and a few windows.

James couldn't imagine people actually living here.

Further down the hall, James heard voices, two men were talking. James bit back a curse and reached for the nearest door. He stumbled into what looked like a storage room. It was dark, lit only by a small window and there were three metal shelves holding boxes. James dipped his hand inside. He found vases wrapped in paper, picture frames and the kind of junk people are too lazy to just donate.

Nothing that could knock a werewolf out. James walked to the window. Frost crowded the corners, but James could see an ocean of trees covered in a fresh layer of snow. Snowflakes were still falling. His stomach sunk to his toes. Even if he managed to get outside, without a coat and without shoes, how long could he last?

The voices from the men grew louder and James froze. He waited, his heart pulsing as they approached and the door handle cried as it twisted. James dropped to all fours, crawling towards the shadows in the corner of the room.

"I'm not gonna question Magnus," one man said. They left the door open, letting in more light and James swallowed the lump in his throat. He pressed himself deeper into the wall. The man was of average build and size with a buzz cut. He lifted a box and dropped it on the ground before he started rummaging through it. He said, "Dude has been revved up since that Oracle mentioned Jessica."

His friend, a smaller guy sighed. "You never get over your mate dying. Usually, these witches can't survive the shot of those magical steroids, but I think this one's not gonna survive Magnus." He laughed, trying to lighten the mood and started searching a different box. James licked his lips. Maybe he could crawl out of here without them noticing.

"Even the Alpha wants to take a bite out of him."

"Humans got it tough. Their smell is a killer."

"Especially that one. You think it's because he's an Oracle."

"Either that or..." The first guy started to say when he straightened his shoulders. James froze. The guy looked around. "Who's there?"

Without a second thought, a yell ripped out of James' throat as he threw his body into the closest shelf. With a groan, the shelf tipped, and the other guys yelped as it and all the junk on top crashed on top of them. James dashed out of the room. He looked back and forth and that hesitation was the last nail in his coffin.

Magnus rounded the corner and the moment he set his eyes on James, they flashed red. James darted the other way. He fumbled, still weak in the legs, but pushed off the wall. He went through a random door, into a lounge and went through the door across the room. He locked every door behind him and James could hear a bang. He heard a slamming noise repeat over and over, until there was a loud crash. The doors must have been ripped off its hinges.

James hurried through a guest room, then through a patio where a gust of wind nearly floored James. Wincing, he held up his arm as the wind and the snow whipped right through him. He lowered his arm as Laurence appeared at the next door. James backed into the snow-covered railing. The ice burned his hands and his bare feet. James glanced over his shoulder at the roof, debating if he could survive the drop.

"Nu-uh-uh," Laurence shook his head. He grabbed James' arm, yanking him away from the edge and against his chest. "You know, you're really testing my patience."

"Good," James grunted, twisting around Laurence hold. Maybe he could survive that fall. Maybe he'd break an ankle. A broken ankle would not help his already slim odds out there, but anything was better than here.

"Stop fighting me, Jamie," Laurence warned, grabbing James' other arm and twisting them around his back. James whimpered, his arms crying out that they were not made to bend that way. Laurence spoke directly into James' ear. The chills crawled up James' arms like spiders. "Or I will come up with ways to make you more complicit, whether that be pumping your veins full of my serum or..." He smiled against James' neck. James cringed, bending his neck away just so Laurence could lean against James' cheek. "I can just give you my mark and you wouldn't be able to live without me."

"Don't you dare-" James reeled back, but Laurence' hands didn't budge. He chuckled, enjoying the way James squirmed. All the alarms in James started blaring and spinning. The thought of another man marking him sounded like a fate worse than death. Laurence' mouth was full of poison and James' name was on his lips.

"The first option, then?" He decided and spun James around, leading him back into the mansion. Standing in the middle of the guest room was Magnus with a syringe full of that same magical steroid. Panic flooded James' veins as he thrashed, kicked and screamed and did everything, but get away.

Author's Note

Bam! Another update! I had to quickly upload before work, so I'm sorry about the mistakes! But, despite the angst, I hope you enjoyed the chapter! The conclusion is so close I can taste it!!

Remember to vote on the chapter and tell me what you think! How do you think James and Eric are handling their situations?

See you soon!

If you'd like to buy me a coffee (which basically sends me to a place with little distractions and better work ethic): ko-fi.com/missbonnett

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 54.9K 66
The day I turned 18 was supposed to be the happiest day of my life. The beginning of my future with my mate but it all turned to hell when I was reje...
121 0 9
The story of two vampires in a somewhat arranged marriage A incubus vampire who dislikes blood, and sex? Gay smut Both pov's "Satan? Is that you?"...
122K 5.7K 17
This is a fantasy love story. I am going to be bringing back some of my characters from my first series but as very minor characters. This is Jacob P...
42.4K 3.1K 6
(This is a side story based on two characters from my novel "The Golden Rule". I would HIGHLY recommend you reading that first) Peter has given up on...