The Vampire Prince goes to Hi...

By Mama_Kas

Twenty years ago, vampires emerged from the shadows and took their place among humans. With their King and th... More

Boredom
First Impressions
First time for everything
New Enrollment
Requirements
Acceptance
Proposal
Contract
Do's and Don't's
Stamped and Approved
Deeper into the Rabbit Hole
IceCreamEater
Warning Part 1
Warning Part 2
No Choice
Conference
Hunted
The Olive Branch
Rescued
Obsession
A Darker Past
Another World-part 1
Another World - part 2
Purists
Silence and Plans
Friends?
Consequences
To Believe or Not to Believe.
Help?
Plan D
The Spy
Phase One
Roommate
Sleepover
Unintentional Cause
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Choosing Sides
New Friends
New Bridges
Alliances
At the End
Termination
Taken
Terms
Reasons
True Intentions
A Mutual Pact
ANNOUNCEMENT
Haunting
Ghosts
Hidden Truths
Connections
Fissure
To New Beginnings
Confession
Trust
To My Displeasure
Demands
Revelations
Path
Date
Deal
Exquisite
Headlines
Guilt-Tripping
Audience
New Hope
Visitor
In a Different Light
Plan
In Motion
A New Kind of Deal
Breaking Radio Silence
Late Night Call
A Few Words
Aloud
Confrontation
Face-to-Face
All Things Must Come to an End
Epilogue
Announcement

Negotiations

47K 1.9K 76
By Mama_Kas

A/N: I hope you guys enjoy this chapter! Thanks so much for the support! 

I slept and slept some more. Every so often I would wake up, take a look at my alarm clock, and doze off once again. I didn't realize when Sonia left or anything else. My mom came in the room asking about dinner but I couldn't remember what I told her. Her lips touched my forehead and she was gone.

It was 3 am when I finally felt wide awake. Feeling hot, I kicked the covers off of me and just laid there. In the darkness, I stared at my ceiling without a single thought in my head. For the first time in a long time, I felt relaxed. There was no Prince around, no vampires, no one; it was just me.

At least I didn't have nightmares, I thought to myself. Even if I had, I didn't remember them. Everything was just surreal. Why did I have to get involved with vampires? Was the Prince that bored? Why didn't he just go back to sleep or whatever the vampires called it? That would solve everybody's problems.

"I don't want to do this anymore," I said aloud. "I just can't."

With a sigh, I rolled on my side. In the dim darkness, I saw my bag pack. The only leverage the vampires had on me was Carlos. I didn't want him to get locked up and punished for defending me . . . and just like that, lighting struck. I knew how to get out of the contract. The vampire lawyer had said if any harm came to me, I could withdraw. It hadn't been a month yet and I had definitely been harmed. Sure, I hadn't gone to the doctor but mental distress was definitely up there. I sat up quickly and felt my head spin.

"Too fast," I muttered.

Feeling my way around the room, I got my lamp to turn on. The light blinded me for a couple of seconds. It felt like an eternity before I could completely open my eyes. It shook me less than a minute to find the contract in one of the desk drawers. If I remembered correctly, he said it would be on page twenty. Squatting, I flipped through the papers and skimmed over the paragraphs . . . ah, there it was.

"Mom!" I cried out. "Dad!"

I stood and headed towards the door. There was a smile on my face. This nightmare was going to be over soon.

"Don't take another step."

For a moment, the Prince's command stopped me in my tracks. Then I reminded myself that I didn't have to listen to him any longer and kept walking. He suddenly appeared in front of the door with his arms across his chest. His jaw was clenched and his eyes stared intently at me.

"You're not the boss of me," I said. "Now, get out of my way."

Instead of listening to me, he took a step forward. It was a predatory step that made me want to run. Clenching my jaw, I stood my ground. He was not going to intimidate me in my own house. He stopped in front of me with a few inches between us. I willed myself to stay in place.

"I hear you hired some lawyers."

I felt my eyebrow rise. I had? When? I try to keep my surprise under control. How could he know this if I just came up with it a few minutes ago? Then it hit me. My parents. That's why they were acting weird. They had hired the lawyers and didn't tell me. For a moment there, I felt hurt. Why wouldn't they tell me? Didn't they trust me?

"Oh?" I forced out. I cleared my throat. "What of it? Did you come here to threaten me?"

The Prince narrowed his eyes at me. "Do you honestly think you can get away with this?" he asked.

It was my time to smirk. "It seems that this time you have underestimated humans," I told him. "Not only will this contract end, you won't be allowed to be anywhere near me when I'm through."

The Prince chuckled. "I can't wait," he said. "I hope you enjoy the disappointment."

"There's no need." I drew myself up to full height. "I hope you've enjoyed your high horse, your Highness because soon enough you'll be on the ground like the rest of us."

#

"What do you mean it can't be done?" I asked outraged.

My mom had to place a hand on my shoulder to prevent me from jumping out of my seat. Mr. Keys tiredly took off his glasses, rubbed his eyes, and placed his glasses back on his face.

"There is no evidence," he began.

"What do you mean no evidence?" I grabbed the bottom of my shirt and pulled it up. I let him get a good look at the bruises. "What are these then? Huh?"

Dad made a noise on my left and I pulled my shirt down. It hadn't been easy telling my parents what happened Friday night with the car accident. The scolding had gone on for what seemed like hours before I could tell them about my plan. It turned out that they had read the contract and had hired lawyers to see if they could find a loop hole. They actually refused after the consultation fee had been paid.

My mother was able to get a name of a lawyer who liked to volunteer his time to help people who had been wronged by vampires. So far, he wasn't doing a good job at helping.

I crossed my arms and at the so called lawyer. Technically, I should be glad his office was open on Sundays but my patience was wearing thin.

"What evidence do you need?" my mother asked. "Is it not enough that my daughter has told you about the accident? Is not there in the contract that if she got hurt, she could withdraw?"

"Yes, it does say that," Mr. Key confirmed. "However, a judge will want medical proof." He turned to me. "If you had gone to the hospital, you would have records of their diagnosis. Otherwise, the judge might rule that these injuries could have been self-inflicted."

I felt my eye twitch.

"That's ridiculous," my dad interjected. "How could my daughter do such injuries to herself? It's impossible."

They were both staying calm. Well, they sure were doing a lot better than I was. After everything I said to the Prince, I was all bark and no bite. What pissed me off the most was that he was going to be right.

"The Prince is a reckless driver," I told Mr. Keys. "He crashed a car with me in it. Shouldn't that amount to something?"

"Miss Borek," Mr. Keys said tiredly. "There is no proof this happened."

"Duh, because he is a prince. Do you honestly think the royal family was going to allow something like that to get on the media?"

I sat back in my chair. So, plan A didn't work. Plan B?

"Then how about a restraining order?" I asked. "He's been appearing my house without coming through the front door. I already have to put up with him at school. I want to be left alone in my house."

At this bit of information, my parents looked at me. Yeah, I should have probably told them of the unwanted visitor in my room.

Mr. Keys rubbed his eyes. "I'll see what I can draft up, okay?"

Something behind us caught Mr. Keys' attention. He quickly stood. "Gentlemen, I'm with some clients."

"Miss Borek."

A shiver went down my spine. I knew that voice. It was one of the Prince's lawyers. I had to force a pleasant smile on my face before turning around.

"Hello Mr. Kemler," I said. "What brings you here?"

He was accompanied by the same vampires as before. I never got their names.

"It seems like there are some issues to be resolved," Mr. Kemler said. His voice was devoid of any emotion but I was sure he was annoyed.

"Issues?" I asked. "Whatever could those be?" I tapped my chin. "Oh, right. The fact that I got hurt and I can withdraw from the contract."

"My, my," he said. "Allegations without proof –"

"Cut the crap," I said. "We all know why you are here." I jabbed my thumb at Mr. Keys. "Well, he might not know why but whatever." I cleared my throat. "The question remains, what are you offering?"

No one said anything for a while. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Mr. Keys stood behind his desk nervously fidgeting with his tie. Mr. Kemler turned his attention to Mr. Keys.

"Are you representing Miss Borek?" he asked.

My parents and I turned around to look at Mr. Keys. Would he be willing to help us? He hadn't done much that was for certain.

"Y-yes," Mr. Keys stammered out.

"In that case," Mr. Kemler said, "We are willing to renegotiate the terms of the contract and make a few amends."

I looked at Mr. Kemler right in the eye. "I want a restraining order," I stated firmly. "I don't want the Prince to pop in unannounced. Like I told Mr. Keys, I already see him at school, I don't want to see him at home."

Mr. Kemler stayed silent. Silence was his only answer to everything. If I couldn't get out of the contract then, in part, I was determined to keep my privacy and personal space.

"Alright," Mr. Kemler said. "Let's start the negotiations."    

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.6K 571 35
When Sabine's master decides to sell her as a magical slave, she thinks her life couldn't get any worse. That is until a terrifying dragon set his si...
836 41 30
"What in the world are you doing here?" His voice was stern, tinged with annoyance. "You should not have come. It's too dangerous." Elara stepped clo...
4.3K 159 122
In stories such as these, it always comes down to the two... the divine pairing, bound by destiny. THE DRAGON: Vladislaus Drฤƒculea has lost everythin...
408K 26.6K 53
After failing as a vampire hunter, 17-year-old Cleo is sent to an academy full of vampires as a false peace treaty. Her true objective is supposed to...