Buried Love Of The Riches

By Raathi07

Adam Clarkson lived an easy life as the Managing Director of his Family business. At a young age he's been ha... More

Author's Note
1: Easy as pie
2: Jeans or Dress?
3: Scheming
4: Her Office
5: Playing Him
6: Black & White
7: Look With Ecstasy
8: Curious Man
9: Stay Positive
10: Frenemy
11: The Elevator
12: The Past
13: Leave In Awkwardness
14: I'd Still Choose You
15: Lucas is Loving Every Bit of This
16: Just Like Your Father
18: Ego and Self-respect
19: Viola Martinez
20: She Notices Everything
21: Good Time
22: Women
23: Our Imperfections
24: The Best Friend
25: The Things We Don't Say
26: She Won't Be Easy
27: Spring Break
28: Cuba
29: Came For Love
30: Spur of the Moment
31: The Frustrated yet Confused
32: Those Chestnut Eyes
33: The Smiths
34: The Engagement
35: Wrong Meeting
36: One Too Many Drinks
37: Old and New Relationships
38: The Ex
39: Invitations
40: The Dinner
41: The Big Day
42: Afraid
43: Fancy Dressing
44: Engage With The Audience
45: The Last Supper
46: The End
≥ MUSIC USED ≤

17: Those Words

1.1K 48 7
By Raathi07

Song: What Do You Say?

Artist: Holly Throsby feat. Mark Kozelek

Those Words

I was back in Paris at the working sight for this one hotel's renovations and the deadline is soon. I sat in the front as everyone discussed yet I couldn't focus. What Gabriella said back in New York has bothered me ever since. Clearly if I can't find Julianna there's a zero per cent chance that she'll ever find her. Yet I couldn't get out of my mind as to why she wants to help me. I get that she's committed to work and getting things done but this...

"Mister Clarkson." Nick snapped me out of my senses. I glanced up to see everyone at the meeting staring at me. I cleared my throat then straightened my posture. I glanced up at Nick who sat there with a questioning look. He quickly glanced down at his iPad then spoke again.

"Your approval on everything?" he questioned then shifted his gaze at my iPad. I looked down at all the documents.

I let out a sigh and let myself focus as I read over everything. This was just a day visit to see how the team is going. Last time I remembered I yelled at half of the staff for lack of work. Now looking through these signed papers, prints and graphs it seems like they've buckled up. I was impressed to be honest and with this evidence of work we might have a date.

"So, all that's left is the exterior designing." Someone spoke as I nodded.

"Do we have a date?" I asked looking at the building manager.

"Yes sir, we've written up a few dates." He said quickly going through his file and grabbing a paper. I took it from him and scanned through it. The dates were adequate for before the fall. I handed it to Nick who would check it and see if it fitted everyone's schedule.

From there we wrapped the meeting up. It was our last meeting till the opening, and from now onwards we'd just be keeping contact through phoning, email or skype. Our flight back was only this evening so Nick and I decided to have coffee in the park.

The Eiffel tower was visible in the distance. We were sitting on a bench, cups in our hands and a box of chocolate croissants separating us. The sounds of birds were chirping, people walking past while talking and the rings of bicycles surrounding us as we sipped our beverages.

"How was the event, sir?" Nick asked after a while.

"It was...satisfactory." I nodded then took a sip of my strong coffee.

"Congratulations on winning Servicing Entrepreneurs of the year, I saw an article online this morning." He said. Out the corner of my eye, I saw him taking a croissant.

"Thank you, Mr. Forbes." I turned giving him a short nod. I continued to sip my coffee while looking forward. I found a safe of ducks pestering this one family, rather amusing than wanting to talk. I shouldn't be snorting at the crying toddler who has a potato chip in her hand yet is too afraid to eat because the duck is coming closer.

"I also saw a photograph of your family with the Smith's." Nick pointed out.

"Yep, they're a big family."

"Oh, yes but isn't the rest of your family scattered around the world?" he questioned, and I couldn't help but smile.

"Yes, yes they are. Just cousins and mom and dad's siblings." I said.

"I also saw photographs of you talking to Mrs. Montero and Gabriella." He said, and I could hear in his voice how he wanted to know what happened.

"Yes, her grandmother is a lovely lady, somehow she kept saying I'm just like my father." I pursed my lips then turned to him. "Am I?"

"Well you do have similar physical features, but your personalities are entirely different sir." He replied honestly.

"Really?" I raised a brow while staring him dead in the eye.

"Y-yes...I-I don't—well sometimes you're manipulative as him or arrogant." He mumbled then blinked continuously at me through his glasses.

"Manipulative and arrogant." I slowly nodded, letting the words sink in. I could hear Nick taking long slurps of his coffee while nodding his head.

"You always said sir, 'working with me requires to be a hundred per cent honest...even if I don't like it, that way I'll know what people think of me and be one step ahead'...your exact words sir," he said. "The guys in the Marketing Department the other day sent an email to everyone, of you saying that but as a meme."

"It was funny actually; I can show yo—"

"Well your opinion on me is irrelevant," I cut Nick off then turned to him. "saying that in the kindest way possible though."

"Yes, sir." He mumbled while staring at the ground.

I faced forward again noticing that the family with the crying toddler has moved their picnic away from the ducks and to a spot underneath the tree. The toddler was now happily eating her potato chips while laughing.

"How's Gabriella?" Nick asked, and I closed my eyes for a brief moment wishing he wouldn't have asked that.

"She's fine," I said but started talking more as the memory of the night came up. "She was a bit drunk which I guess was the only time she would be so friendly and talkative."

"Speaking of her sir..." Nick cleared his throat then continued. "I was talking to Gabriella's secretary, Miss Morgan and she said if we have one more meeting then we can finalize things then go to California."

I placed a hand on my chin, tapping it for a few seconds then took one last sip of my coffee. Once I was done, I set it aside on the bench next to me. I shifted a bit so that I was facing Nick. He pushed up his glasses then helped himself to another croissant.

"That could work, plus Gabriella is an engineer, most of her work is practical," I said causing Nick to purse his lips.

"Indeed sir, we've done our side, and once we get there, we'll all be able to do more. Plus, you and Gabriella have a meeting with the investors." He said, and my brows rose seeing how he finished the croissant so quick. Then again, from the airport, we came to the meeting.

"Yes, and even though the hotel is under construction, I'm sure we'll be able to stay in it. I mean, it's only the bottom section being remodeled." I shrugged then folded my arms.

"Oh, no sir, Gabriella's uncle, Mr. Jacob Smith insisted that we stay in his self-catered apartments," Nick said as I raised a brow.

"She never mentioned anything the other night," I stated then pressed my lips.

"Well sir, if I do recall you said she was drunk," Nick pointed out. "and well, I'm pretty sure nobody wants to be talking about work on such a night."

"You're right Mr. Forbes," I said then stood up. "Come on, we've wasted enough time sitting here, let's go, or we'll be late for our flight."

...

I was back in Washington DC, and when I went to visit my parents one night, it seemed the news about Mr. Forbes and me staying at the Smith's self-catered apartments has spread. My father is so competitive saw it as a chance to get to 'know' the Smith's further.

I refused to be his spy yet he didn't mind and wanted to ask Nick, well command him to but I told him that Nick is my assistant. He takes orders from nobody, only me. When that didn't work, my father wanted me to take Alicia or Nikita with but I refused. I got fed up and just left their house.

The following morning Mason asked for a gym session, and I gladly accepted, wanting to take out all my frustration on him by being my punching bag. The pressure of my father, Gabriella, and Julianna. I just wanted to rant to Mason how it was all so absurd.

Therefore, being the best friend that Mason Taylor was he listened while we were boxing. He did an uppercut but I was fast and blocked it then took it as a chance to strike back. When I punched him in the face he staggered back. I got ready to do a back kick but he shook his head then called for a time out.

I exhaled deeply then took off my gloves. Mason did the same as I offered him a bottle of water from the fridge. I let the cold water tickle my throat and tilted my head back taking as much as the cold liquid in as I could. Once we gained our breath I saw him staring at me.

"So, she just wants to help you find Julianna...just like that?" he snapped his fingers.

"Yeah man, it's kinda' weird, don't you think?" I pointed out.

"Of course, and this is the first time you've mentioned Julianna to her. It's odd that she decided to help you on the spot." Mason said and I watched as his forehead creased, which meant that he was thinking.

"Well, when she came to my apartment she saw the room and a photo of Julianna, so maybe then she has been suspicious of the women in my life." I chuckled.

"Yeah but what if she's just doing it for her own benefit? Or she's being told to by her father." He said then walked over to the bench. I watched as he took a towel and put it around his neck.

"Yeah I was thinking that too, but she wouldn't find Julianna anyway. I've searched for so long, so there's a low chance of Gabriella finding her." I said then shoved my hands in my pockets.

"Did you check Julianna's birth place?" he asked.

"Yeah the Castillo family was very known in Cuba but when she left it's like her whole family became nonexistent," I said raising a brow.

"That's just weird, and they were a cool family...everyone got along with them," Mason said then folded his arms.

"Yeah but I guess Gabriella wants to find them, and I'm not stopping her, I'll just focus on the project in the meantime while she wastes her time trying to find Julianna," I muttered then threw my bottle in the trashcan.

I picked up my towel and gloves thinking of Gabriella. We have a meeting today and as Nick said if we get things going we'd be on our way to California soon. I was about to walk out of the gym but noticed Mason hasn't moved or spoke.

I looked over my shoulder to see him staring at the ground. When I opened my mouth to speak, he looked up at me. There was a strange look in his eye as if he just discovered something.

"What if you can't find Julianna Castillo because she doesn't want to be found?" he asked as the corner of his mouth rose.

"Mason that's ridiculous." I scoffed then turned around. As I twisted the doorknob, I looked back at him. "Nobody can hide from me."

...

I was having another meeting with Gabriella and the rest of the team. Everybody has been reporting back what they've done over the past few weeks. I went first naturally since we used my building and because I wanted to get it done and over with. Nick was recording everything and since this project is similar to the past ones we've done and comparable to the one in Paris he has gained knowledge of this type of situation.

I was day dreaming mostly, thinking what Mason said this morning about Julianna not wanting to be found. That's just absurd and thinking beyond the line. I know Julianna even though I haven't seen her in five years she couldn't have changed that much, could she? If only I saw a picture of her now I could read her like an open book because the eyes, they say it all.

I crossed my arms over my chest and looked up to see Mr. O'Neil, the primary architect for this project explaining something on the projector. My gaze moved to Gabriella who sat across the table chewing her gum. I squinted my eyes thinking how professional she can be but she looks childish.

My thoughts drifted off to when she told me about her ex-boyfriend. Either she must've been hurt to become so dedicated and mature for this occupation, or she really loved him.

I didn't realize that I was staring at her and that she had noticed. She lifted an eyebrow then mouthed the words 'are you okay' to which I nodded. It's like after our date that Friday night we've become more comfortable around each other and talking more about our lives that isn't just our jobs.

She nodded in response then returned her gaze to Mr. O'Neil. I did too finally focusing but I could still feel that chill of when she would glance at me.

Once the meeting ended we came to a conclusion that since everyone has been working hard and that we've gotten approval from the hotel in California, we should be flying there soon. Gabriella was surprisingly excited and then I remembered that this is her first assignment in which she is doing without her brothers help.

I was still in the conference room gathering papers when I saw her approaching me. The regular tap of her heels echoed against the marble floor. I glanced up to see her wearing her regular black heels, tight jeans and black button up that was tucked in loosely.

"Mr. Clarkson, you zoned out a lot during this meeting." She said giving a lopsided grin.

"Was it that noticeable?" I chuckled.

"No one else could tell as far as I know but I noticed it." She said giving me a once-over. "Are you genuinely okay? Is it because we're going to California too soon? Your assistant Mr. Forbes told me about your project in Paris..."

"Oh, no the...the date is fine." I smiled.

"But..." she trailed off as her eyes bored into mine.

I let out a sigh then stuff my hands in my pockets. I looked out the glass window to see people walking and talking quite oblivious to the two individuals in the meeting room. I turned my gaze back to Gabriella who was now standing closer to me.

"Have you found anything on Julianna?" I asked.

"Aren't you a curious man...it hasn't even been a week." She chuckled then flicked her hair over her shoulder.

"I've searched everywhere for her Gabriella; there's a low chance that you'll find her...even if you do, what do I say to her?" I asked.

"Well if I remember correctly, Clarkson's and Smith's do not like losing let alone giving up." she pursed her lips. "And what do you want to say to her? Do you still love her?"

I stared at Gabriella with my lips drawn into a straight line. My jaw clenched, and I suddenly felt my eyebrows lowering. I let out a huff then licked my lips.

"I don't know...ever since you told me how you just changed like that," I snapped my fingers. "Makes me eager if she'll be the same Julianna Castillo that I fell in love with."

"Wow...if she's making you talk like that and act restless then maybe you do still love her." she said causing us to laugh.

"Unless..." she cleared her throat then approached me. I looked down to see that she was fiddling with my tie. I felt her fingertips against my shirt as she pushed my tie up. She looked up and stared at me with those hazel brown eyes. "other women in your life are making you have second thoughts."

"Like that Rolling ginger haired girl or the other models, you men drool over." She said then moved her hands to rest her palms on my chest.

"Just say the words Adam, and I'll drop all the information I have about her and stop looking." 

___________________

Back on regular updates, sorry for the wait :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.8K 814 15
"I know that there is more you're not telling me. It bugs me not knowing everything, Gabriella." I roll my eyes. "I know. We've been over this many...
587 118 26
Hannah Taylor is a bedraggled, constantly tired single mum. Her entire reason for living is for her young daughter, Bea. After she caught her ex chea...
4.6M 106K 31
THIS IS ONE OF MY FIRST BOOKS ON WATTPAD. "Get out", he shouted at me "get out now and never come back" I wiped at the tears that were streaming dow...
41.1K 1.5K 53
Completed. Zoe Hunter is used to getting by on her own. She's used to bearing the weight of the normal responsibilities that should fall on a parent...