Why us? (Pokemon fanfic)

By shinymewgirl

Everyday for as long as she can remember Emma has forced herself to face everything alone. She wants to belie... More

Prologue
1- A way back home
2- Stalling
3- Home sweet home
4- This should be good
5- Promise me
6- Good luck with that
7- Getting ready
8- Descoveries
9- Find a weak point
10- Nightmares become real
11- Break down
12- A new companion
13- I will stand my ground
14- such a joyful pain
15- unbalanced battle
16- when will it stop?
17- how much worse could things get?
18- a bad guy?
19- desperate reach for freedom
20- experimentation
21- not a second time
22- The Guardian Angel
23- rainy night camping
24- together at last
25- Fighting back
26- Not a peep
27- Nightmares come true
28- Be proud of me
29- Burning hatred
30- The key to Purity
31- Stalkers, stalkers everywhere
32- The balance of three
33- A series of unfortunate events
34- Family reunion
35- Extended family tree
36- The Legendary Plan
37- One down, two to go
38- An electrifying match up
39- Battle bonds
40- Battle with angels
41- Does anyone understand Shadow anymore?
42- It begins
43- Twisted memories
44- A new Dark Room
45- Whispers in the dark
46- A day off
47- Sweet dreams
48- Bad turns
49- The Testing Continues
50- Old habits
51- The testing ends
52- It will be okay
53- Escape
54- Almost home
55- Conciquences
56- Too much damage done
58- Trust in me
59- Closing the rift
60- Comatose
Epilogue
Final thoughts on the 'Why?' series

57- The Ultimate Wepon

250 23 66
By shinymewgirl

~Emma~

I watched through half closed eyes as Serenity milled around the room, keeping herself busy. Every few minutes she'd be by my side, checking on the drip attached to my wrist and other such things. She was most worried about damage done to my knees though, often checking my legs and tutting to herself. Serenity had explained that human knees weren't supposed to stay bent with the weight of the human body on top of them for long periods of time and the damage caused could-- well she didn't actually say what damage it could cause, she just cut herself off and went back to her work. I'm not sure if I was more scared without knowing then what I'd be if she would.

Serenity simply told me I had to stay lying down and still. She was scared, her aura told the truth there but she wouldn't say a word about it so I didn't either. Instead I simply shut my eyes and let her work. She tested my muscles, inspected the cuts and bruises left by the cuffs previously attached to my wrists and ankles as I'd put up quite a struggle to get myself out of such a predicament. Needless to say, it didn't work and only served to add to the pain I didn't realise was too come. She added ice packs to my knees and although I wasn't a fan of the chill they brought, they helped numb the pain somewhat so I just accepted them in the end.

So far, according to Serenity, I'd been in Team Rift's infirmary for five days. I never saw much of anyone human in that time. A grunt to bring me food and that was it. No Shadow. No Cyrus. No Kathrine. No admins. Just a sinisterly blissful silence. It was really the only thing I disliked about this room other then the fact that me being in here meant I'd been injured in some way or fainted due to exhaustion. 

I felt a tiny hand stroking my head and I opened my eyes, noting Serenity standing above me. ~How are you doing Emma?~

"Everything hurts." I replied horsely. "It just really hurts."

Our conversation was interrupted by Kathrine entering the room, bringing an involuntary squeak from me. Serenity flinched slightly but didn't move from my side, instead she kept close to me, stroking my hair with her fuzzy paw. For just a brief moment, she glanced down at her clip board before moving her gaze to me.

"So I hope I've made my point that you are to remain here crystal clear." She stated, not a trace of concern or pity in her tone. "You running away when you feel like it will not be tolerated and you are incredibly lucky I didn't put a bullet though your precious Claire's head for your infraction."

I visibly flinched at that. "How do I know that you didn't just shoot her when I left." I snarled. "For all I know you've already killed her and Silver and Red, it certainly isn't below you."

Kathrine rolled her eyes, reaching into her pocket and pulling out a phone. "A simple phone call would do the trick now wouldn't it?" She teased the device in front of me. "But first I think you are entitled to a brief explanation of what will happen from here. Tomorrow you will be moved to a new location where Project R.I.F.T will commence. You will be given one night's rest before the beginning of the operation. It is quite unfortunate it couldn't be done from here but the machine needed to absorb and use the power inside you seems to have already existed before Team Rift had even begun, so while it will be troubling moving you, it saves both time and money so the risk will be well worth it, if you could even call it a risk."

"I don't care." I hissed, my eyes too focused on the phone to care about anything she just said. "Can I make my phone call now?"

Kathrine rolled her eyes, giving a heavy sigh before handing me the mobile device. "This phone is incapable of calling the police so don't even try it, any attempt to give out information about Team Rift's goals will result in immediate termination of the phone call. Do you understand?"

Snatching the phone from her, I briefly nodded. "Yeah whatever."

"The phone will beep when you are to wrap up your conversation and will automatically hang up after I've decided you've had long enough whether you've said your good byes or not."

"Yeah whatever." I repeated. "Now please leave!"

Kathrine glared at me firmly for only a moment before leaving. I waited for a few moments before thinking about who it was I'd call. Claire never answered unknown numbers so she probably wouldn't answer me. Red had told me his phone was destroyed when he was first captured by Team Rift so again it would be a waste. My only chance would be Silver. I gently hit the buttons to call my brother. The phone buzzed once, then twice. Tears gathered on the third as I silently begged for Silver to pick up. He did.

"Who is this!?" Silver snapped into the speaker, obviously not recognising the number.

For a few seconds I stayed quiet, tears in my eyes - simply unable to be contained- before I managed to stutter out my words. "S-silver-- It's me... I-it's Emma." For a few moments Silver was quiet and I'd thought he might have hung up or something. "Silver?"

"Yeah, sorry I'm here." Silver replied, sounding worried and somewhat flustered. "Did you escape again? Claire told me and Red everything."

"No, I'm still here."

"Are you hurt?"

"Yes..."

"Where does it hurt? Is it bad?

"Everywhere. Silver when she bought me back here, Kathrine chained me up on my knees and I had to stay like that for days and now everything hurts and I don't think I can walk because it just all hurts." I burst into tears, sobbing to myself as I clutched the phone to my ear. Serenity put a hand on my shoulder and gently rubbed the spot in effort to calm me. "I'm scared Silver, I'm so scared. I want to go home."

"Hey, it'll be okay Em." Silver replied, sounding very much concerned. "Do you know where I am? I'm right outside with Red and Claire and pretty much a whole army. We're trying our best to get to you and we will, I promise. Okay, we'll be there soon. Everything will be okay."

"I'm still scared Silver, please hurry and please don't get hurt."

"Hey, calm down. Don't worry about me, I'll stay safe okay. I was actually just taking a break to heal my Pokémon when you called..." Silver explained. "Actually, Red would be around here too." The sound of Silver moving around came muffled though the speaker. "So if you're still in Team Rifts Headquarters how did you get a phone? Did you steal it or something?"

"No, I'm going to be moved tomorrow and whatever Team Rift is planning, it's happening soon and--- and this is the last chance I'll get to speak to you before then so Kathrine said I could make a phone call..."

"Oh... sorry give me a moment. I found Red." The mic went muffled for just a minute before speaker phone was turned on from Silver's end. "Hey, Red can hear you now."

"Hey Emma." Red greeted. "How you holding up?"

"I don't know... Red I'm just so scared, more scared then I've ever been before and I hate it! I hate being weak and I hate being so vulnerable. Anyone could do anything to me and I just would not be able to stop it at all. My legs are so sore and weak then I need to get Serenity's help just to walk anywhere."

"We'll get to you as soon as we can Emma... Do you know where you're being moved to? We might be able to intercept."

"Even if I did Kathrine is probably listening and wouldn't allow me to say it." I replied. I did know but I'd wait for as long as possible before saying so. "Listen, Silver and Red I just wanted to let you know... just in case the worst happens that I love you both so much and--"

"Emma we are not letting anything bad happen to you." Silver interrupted firmly. "We are not going to let you die."

"Please guys, just listen, please. I don't know what's going to happen and if that worst happens, I just want to so thank you both for everything you've done for me. I know things haven't exactly been easy. I know that with everything messed up between Team Void, then Team Plasma and now Team Rift that it's been hard but you both have always seemed to be there for me. I hate being the damsel in distress but sometimes it just seems impossible for me not to be and all my life I've always had to protect myself. From Cyrus and from everyone that wanted to exploit me for what I am but you both always saw me for who I am and other from Claire you two were the first who really drew that part of me out. You protected me from what I couldn't protect myself from and I never would have been able to do this without the both of you." Tears streamed over my cheeks as I clutched the phone tightly. "Red, I never would have thought myself able to love in the ways you taught me to. I never thought that level of love possible yet you did it. That's something I don't think anyone else could have done yet you did it-- and Silver, even though you're a total over protective snowflake, it was nice, you know, having someone looking out for me and even though I really don't like to be parented, you always had my best interest at heart. I love you both so much and-- and---" I failed to hold back a sob as I cried into the microphone. "I'm sorry guys, I'm so so so so sorry. For everything. All the messed up shit I had to put you through but you put up with for me. I love you both. But, I want you to promise me that if the worst happens and-- and I don't make it, please don't be sad. At least, not for long okay. Please move on and look after my Pokémon if I can't. Please."

"We love you too." Silver replied, sounding as if he had real difficulty from keeping himself calm. "And I want you to promise me something. Promise me that you will never give up. We will rescue you Emma, you'll get to go home and you'll get to see them all again and us and Claire. We will never stop fighting to bring you home, just promise me you won't stop fighting for yourself. Okay?"

Nodding my head slightly, I sniffled back a wave of tears. "I promise Silv."

"Attagirl!" Red cheered, earning a slight smile on my part. "And when we get you back home and you're all better, we'll go on the best date ever, and that's a promise!"

Red could be such a cinnamon roll at times. "Okay, I'll hold you to that." I replied as the phone let out a beep, only a few more minutes. "I'm almost out of time so again, I love you both so much."

"Love you too." Silver replied with a slightly deflated sigh.

"Love you forever and ever Em." Red followed.

"One more thing guys," I continued, swallowing had as I did. "Geosenge Town, they're taking me to Geosenge Town." That was all I got out before the line cut but the damage was done. They knew where I was going and  they were going to rescue me. I knew it.

Or at lease, I hoped it.

~*🌸*~

Unlike what I'd believed, I didn't get punished for telling Silver and Red exactly where I was going. Kathrine believed her plans couldn't be stopped and I wasn't sure if I should be worried by her confidence or reassured. I was knocked out with a needle while being moved from Team Rift's main headquarters to Geosenge Town. It at first was just a guess that Geosenge Town was where I was being moved to but it was the only place I could think of where the pure energy Team Rift needed to generate from me could be held and used.

Kathrine had put me in the quarters of the last owners of this place had used. Team Flare's previous leader has strange taste of orange and blacks. The attached bathroom was luxurious to say the least, it actually had a bath and working hot water! I soaked in the hot water for hours, until my hands and feet were all pruney from the water. The water did a lot too soothe my aching muscles.

I lay now snuggled into the silky material of the sheets and bedcovers, waiting for dinner to arrive before I slept. Serenity had been taken from me which is really to closest think to a 'punishment' I got for tell Silver and Red where I was but small details to be honest. Kathrine wouldn't do anything to me now, not when she was so close to getting her way. So I was safe I guess, alone with nothing more then a blissfully eerie silence that had consumed me ages ago. The room has been striped of anything useful. Cupboards and draws now empty, light patches cover the walls where pictures or art would have once hung and similar patches marked the floor from where removable furniture once sat. The bathroom was in a similar state, leaving me with only a toothbrush and toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner and body wash. Kathrine had told me that tonight I was supposed to relax and that no one would bother me. I knew I didn't have a voice in the matter. Whatever sedative I'd been given while being moved  from Team Rift's main HQ still lingered in my system causing me to feel regrettably calm and at ease.

Sighing softly to myself, I sat up, slowly as my legs were still very sore. As I did, the door opened. Although it didn't lock, I knew the door was heavily guarded. I probably couldn't get far on my own, leaving me completely dependent on Silver and Red to rescue me. It surprised me when Shadow walked in holding my food tray in his hands. I sighed to myself, too emotionally exhausted to deal with him. Hanging my head to force myself not to look at him, I waited for him too gloat or tease. I'd been reminded an agonising amount of times that after Kathrine was done with me, I'd be handed over to Shadow without a thought and the thought of whatever he might want me for chilled me to the bone.

"So, you're just going to wait until it happens then?" My opposite stated, setting the tray down on the bedside table.

With another sigh, I refused to raise my head. "I don't have a choice. Stop saying things as if I had a choice in the matter. If I did have a choice, I'd be at home in my own bed with my family that loves me. Not an alcoholic, a deranged lunatic that thinks she's still my mother and the embodiment of darkness itself."

Shadow seemed to only take amusement in my response. "Is that so my dear. You know, Purity once gave me a very simple piece of advice, there is always a choice."

"Didn't you murder her or something?" I inquired with a raised eyebrow.

"That was... a more regrettable choice on my part, but still a choice all the same." Shadow shrugged.

"Well what choice do I have? I can't walk on my own, my knees might be permanently screwed and for all I know, I'm never even going to see my family again... There's no choice left for me to make." I spat, looking up at my adversary. "And if you have one I'd love to hear it, otherwise shut up and leave me alone."

The Voice of Darkness just raised an eyebrow, turned around and left. I stuck my tongue out at him as he did, purely to make myself feel better before looking over the food, feeling a deep bitterness well in my throats as I did. Kathrine, or someone who decided to tease their glory in my face, had put nacho's on the menu and anyone who knows me knows that nacho's are my favourite food.

I spent a minute looking at the tray before sighing deeply to myself, at least I could take satisfaction in knowing that no nachos are better then Claire's nachos. Taking a curled Dorito chip from the bowel, I scooped up the meat, sour cream and melted cheese and ate it. As expected, it didn't meet the expectations given with being my favourite meal so I eventually pushed aside the dish, instead eating the chips alone and guzzling the water.

I rested against the headboard until a grunt came for the remaining food, after taking away the leftovers he left without a word as I was used to with the grunts. From here I would be left alone to sleep. It took several minutes for me to ease myself down and onto my side. Unfortunately it would take ages for me to sleep as anxious as I was. I wished that I could talk to Silver or Red again, even for just a moment so they could ease me into sleep but I doubt Kathrine would allow it so with a tired sigh I simply decided to lay still with my eyes tightly shut for what promised to be a very long night.

~*🌸*~

I was woken by Serenity's gentle nudges the next morning. She seemed upset but didn't say anything about it as she guided me up into a sitting position. ~Sorry to wake you Emma but I have been instructed to get you ready.~ The Audino explained softly, her eyes downcast sadly. ~Kathrine wants you ready in just a few hours.~

Sighing to myself, I nodded. I held none of this against Serenity as she made it clear she hated being apart of any of this but simply did what she was told as refusal lead to punishment in her case which for a Pokémon that is as disposable as paper (purely in Kathrine's eyes that is) would be a scary thing. "It's okay." I reassured her, knowing that realistically, it was anything but okay. "What do you have to do?"

~Make sure you eat, have pain medication and are as mentally stable as you could be right now.~ She explained. ~If you wish, you may shower and change but that's completely up to you.~

Nodding my head, I cast aside the warmth of the blankets. "I think I will shower..." I sighed, shutting my eyes for just a few seconds with a tired sigh. "Can you give me a hand to get up." I really had become quite pathetic.

Serenity nodded without a thought, standing close as I carefully moved my feet over the side of the bed. She took hold of my arm before I tried to stand. Although I didn't feel as much pain in my legs as I did a few days ago, I still couldn't stand or walk by myself and moving in general could pose quite a challenge when it wanted to. The Audino held on tight as I stumbled into the bathroom and took hold of the towel rack with my spare hand for additional support

"I have it from here Serenity." I muttered, letting her go to grip the towel rack with both hands. "Where are my clothes?"

After a moments pause to make sure I was alright standing, Serenity left the room. She returned in just a few minutes, carrying a folded pile of clothes in her paws. ~Here you go Em.~ The Healer Pokémon offered a sad smile, one that was obviously forced but one I forced myself to return.

Serenity left my clothes on the vanity before turning to me with another concerned frown. ~Do you need anything else Emma?~

Shaking my head, I let myself down to sit on the seat of the toilet - after letting the lid down of course. "No, I think I'll be fine. I'll call you if there is an emergency."

There was a few moments in which Serenity paused, quite obviously hesitant to leave. "Promise." I confirmed.

Serenity nodded. ~Okay, but what would you like to eat?~ She questioned. ~I was told to take your request into account.~

"Is there a not eat anything option? I already feel sick, eating anything will just make me throw up." I sighed in reply.

~Is there something light you'd like to eat, I can try to get you out of eating but just in case...~ Serenity shifted uncomfortably. ~I don't want things to be made worse for you. Not now.~

"Just some fruit or something then but make sure Kathrine knows if I throw up, I'm doing it on her." I grumbled.

Serenity just nodded firmly as she left, a tight frown over her features as she shut the bathroom door. I let out a sigh as she did. Pulling off my top shirt I took a moment to hold it, leaving me in my tank top I always wore beneath my clothes. It smelled like home. The flowery sent of Claire's detergent and woody pine smell of the air freshener. Running my fingers of the fabric, I frowned when I came to a strangely stiff spot. Flipping the shirt inside out I found a strange piece of metal on the inside collar of my shirt with a small blue light illuminated in the centre.

A tracking chip.

Claire you clever cookie! I thought to myself. Leave it to her to take every precaution possible including putting a tracking chip on my shirt in case we got separated again. Setting aside my shirt, I prayed the chip had worked in letting Claire know where I was and she was on her way to rescue me now.

I showered with slightly higher spirits then I'd been in a while. Rather then putting a clean shirt on afterwards, I put the same one on, the one with the tracking chip. It was cleverly hidden where my hair falls, even when up in a ponyta-tail. After leaving the bathroom, having to use the wall for support of my weakened knees but Serenity quickly came to my aid when I opened the door. She helped me stumble over to my bed and sit me down.

~Why didn't you change your shirt?~ Serenity questioned, cocking her head to the side.

I didn't hesitate to reply, having thought of an excuse while I showered. "It smells like home and it's... I dunno, comforting-- I guess."

The little Audino smiled softly. ~That makes sense... I'm sorry things didn't work out with you getting home..~

"Don't worry about it, better just be done with this." I sighed. "At least Silver, Red and Claire and everybody else it safe..."

Serenity sighed, giving me a look of pity as she removed the lid from a food tray I hadn't previously noticed. It was relatively empty. It had a small fruit salad, a chocolate bar and a water bottle. ~Kathrine said the chocolate is optional but you must eat the fruit salad.~

"And if I don't?" I huffed.

Nothing was said so I assumed nothing would happen. Nothing really could happen if everything was beginning today, so, I simply curled up beneath the silky covers of my bed. Serenity sighed slightly, holding out two tablets for me to take.

~At least take these Emma. I'll get in trouble.~ Serenity pleaded.

"Fine." I huffed, sitting quickly. Though I moaned and winced as the sudden movement caused my body instant pain. After taking the pills I eased back down and let myself drift into semi sleep. Though it only lasted a minute or two before Kathrine burst into the room, slamming the door open with a bang that made me jump.

She didn't even give me a movement to recover before she snapped at me. "Come along Emma." Kathrine ordered, her tone sharp, yet somehow forced. Serenity came to my side, ready to assist me if needed.

With a tired sigh, I pushed aside my blanket. I took my time getting up, trying not to hurt myself as I did. It took a while but Serenity managed to properly guide me to my feet. Even with the heavy pain killers Serenity had given me, I was unable to hold back the wince that came with standing and I was unable to fully straighten my knees. My little Audino friend helped me limp after Kathrine who'd slowed her normal hurried pace so I was able to keep up. She walked me into a room that seemed emit it's own sense of deep depressing dread. All sorts of different machinery flared with a robotic life, creating a deafening racket of buzzing, beeping and a variety of other noises I couldn't even identify over everything else. Glowing green tubes connecting to the large centre pedistool which I was being lead too.

Kathrine grabbed my arm, taking me away from Serenity who was pushed toward a grunt. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat to little success. My arms were raised above my head and handcuffs were attached to my wrists that held them in place where I couldn't pull them down, I didn't even have the strength to resist anymore, I could do nothing but stand there pathetic and weak. Tears burned in my eyes as Kathrine hovered above me, making sure everything was in proper place. I shut my eyes hiding my head behind my arm to the best of my ability, holding up my final stand by simply not allowing Kathrine to see me crying in her victory.

"Emma." Kathrine called, her tone sickeningly soft, but I refused to look at her. She sighed in response. "I'm going to inject the syrum now, once I do, the restrictor around your wrist will be removed and the containment unit will be lowered immediately so we can begin. Do you have anything you wish to say before I do so?"

"Go to hell." I hissed, knowing the cliche term of final words but I was unable to think of anything else to say.

Kathrine simply sighing before a sharp jab in my arm caused my body to jerk and my knees to collapse, putting the strain of my entire body weight onto my wrists. I fought off a cry of pain, dulling it down to a harsh whimper but the pain of the syrum that had been injected into my system was all to familiar and I knew I couldn't fight it off for long. The device around my wrist was pulled off, I cracked my eye open a little as it did so but all I could do was watch as the glass cylinder was lowered, sealing me inside.

"Oh and Emma, I thought you might want to see who we found sneaking around this morning." Kathrine snickered, catching my attention as I searched the room for her face. I was forced to watch as Silver was dragged into the room, bloody and bruised. He was pushed the ground as I shouted his name, pleading for him to be let go. "He's become quite bothersome and simply far more trouble then he's worth." My heart dropped and my fight faltered. I shook my head a few times absently, my eyes pinned to my older brother.

"Silver!" I found myself crying, straining myself to be free. "Let him go, please let him go! You have me, you don't need Silver just let him go!"

My cries fell upon empty ears. I was helpless to stop Kathrine as she kicked him in the ribs. I was helpless to stop her pulling a gun from it holster. I was helpless to stop two grunts from grabbing hold of my brother. I was helpless to stop her lining the barrel with Silvers head. Most of all I was helpless to stop Kathrine from pulling the trigger and killing the only family I had.

A scream rung through the air, ear piercing  and endless. It took a few moments to realise that I was screaming, fighting, kicking and yelling. Just trying to get to my brother, with the band gone, I could heal him. I just wanted to get to him but I was stuck. My pain released itself in a variety of uncontrolled attacks the machine that held me simply absorbed, with a sickeningly warm hum.

~*🌸*~
~Kathrine~

I forced myself to watch as Emma fought against the strength of her cuffs, small tears of crystal running over her cheeks. I somehow felt almost bad for her. She was terrified, visibly shaking as she cried out in a mixture of physical and emotional trauma that had been brewing inside of her for more then two months. She struggled and her body jerked this way and that. She twisted and pulled sharply at the handcuffs holding her in place but they would hold. They were built for this, to hold her and secure her and there was simply nothing she could do about it.

"Madam." A one of the many scientists in the room called for my attention. I didn't know his name, very few of my underlings were significant for me to remember such an insignificant detail. "The power being generated by the subject is exceeding expectations-- it may be too much madam."

Giving a forceful glare I replied with my tone sharp. "Keep it going, do not stop for any reason."

This proved to be a mistake, with another cry from my daughter a wave of pure energy rippled though the room, unable to be contained within the small area Emma was confined within. It happened again and again until a loud crack rung though the air like a and for a brief moment everything froze, quiet and still before with a shattering of glass, hell broke loose.

~~*🌸*~~
Word count: 5099

Well, that's a thing now... hehehe...
I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter, this took my forever to write and I couldn't quite decide where I wanted to end the chapter so I just kept adding to it and adding to it and now it's a 5000+ word chapter... hehehe...

Anyway, please remember to vote and comment and I will see you guys next week!
Ps, I just published the first chapter of my TorD!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 164 41
A Silver x Reader Story Sometimes good people do bad things. Who's to say they can't turn things around and make up for things of the past. F...
8.9K 326 24
~(This book is under heavy rework. 07/21 Chapters reworked. Be aware, chapters will not line up with each other during this period.)~ Kalos. A place...
44.2K 1.3K 17
A female Ash Ketchum is faced with being unable to fulfill her dreams with prejudices against her gender, and realizing that the world is a dark, ugl...
7.3K 136 13
Pokémon: Betrayed-Chosen+Prime What happens when you come home after saving the Kalos Region? What happens when most of your friends, family, and Pok...