Match made in a boardroom

By anonymousgg16

Rory's controlling grandmother is at it again, trying to set her up with one of Hartford's biggest playboys... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Author's note on missing chapter
Chapter 35
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 12: Scheming

4.4K 104 36
By anonymousgg16

A/N: I have gotten a couple of questions about the end of chapter 10.  It appears that in my attempt not to be graphic I was a little too vague.  Go figure!  So, yes, Logan and Rory did the deed in chapter 10 (and 11).  The conversation they had at the basketball court was them agreeing that they didn't need the full two week trial period because they both knew that they definitely wanted to be together for real, so they also decided that since that decision was made they could go for it in the bedroom as well.  They're definitely an unconventional couple.  Remember, this whole thing is AU.  I suspect Rory would have been a very different person had she been raised in Hartford with both parents.  Now, onto the story!

Rory and Logan walked into the Gilmore mansion, her arm tucked into his, and almost immediately every eye in the room was on them.  They may have just begun their relationship, but word had obviously gotten around quickly.  There were hushed whispers around the room as the couple proceed further into the sprawling estate.

"They're all looking at us, Logan," Rory lamented quietly, society smile still plastered on her face.

"Just keep smiling, Ace.  Unfortunately, we represent three of the most powerful families in Hartford; that's why our families wanted this.  Just remember, we play by our own rules, right?  This is about us now, not about our families," he reassured her quietly.  "Speaking of which, your grandparents and my parents just spotted us.  Are you ready to deal with them yet?"

"God, no!" Rory exclaimed quietly.

"Well then, may I have this dance?" he asked as he turned toward her.

"You are brilliant!  They'll never bother us if they think we're out there selling this relationship to the press," Rory replied as she took his hand and allowed him to lead her onto the dance floor.  He took her in his arms and the couple fell easily into a graceful waltz.

"You know that they're all smug as hell over there right now," Rory grumbled as she jerked her head toward their families.  The Huntzbergers, the elder Gilmores and Francine Hayden were all standing together watching the young couple with glee evident on their faces.

"They're probably choosing our china pattern and flowers for the wedding as we speak," he shot back quickly.

"I'm certain that the wedding invitations will be printed by the end of next week."

"I guess I should start on planning our honeymoon, right?  That seems like a good job for the groom," he continued their banter.

"I'm sorry, did Logan Huntzberger just refer to himself as a groom?  Someone call a doctor, quickly!" she teased.

"I must say, I myself am surprised that I didn't pass out when I said it."

"All of those blonde bimbos will be so disappointed," she tutted.

"I'm giving up all of the blondes and the bimbos, because you are neither, Ace," he whispered seriously suddenly.

"I must say, I'm glad," she teased lightly, but he could tell that she really was happy that he was.  "After hearing the rumors I never thought I would see the day, but I'm glad."

"Well, perhaps I'd just never met someone worth giving up the playboy ways for.  It's only been a week, Ror, but I can certainly see that you're one hell of a woman, and if I want to be with a woman like you, I need to make some changes."

"Just...always be honest with me, Logan?" she asked quietly.

"I promise, Ace.  We both need to always be honest with each other.  And Ace?"

"Hmm?"

"There won't be any need to be discrete about any indiscretions, because there won't be any," he told her as he looked her in the eyes.  Rather than answer, she moved in closer to him, taking comfort in having his body close to hers.  They danced in silence for a few more minutes before finally deciding that it was time to face the families.  Mitchum was the first to speak as they walked up to the group.  Logan had his arm tightly around Rory's waist.

"Rory, Logan, so good to see you two this evening,"

"It's lovely to see you as well, Mitchum, Shira.  Hi, Grandma, Grandpa.  And it's lovely to see you as well, Grandma Francine," Rory greeted.

"You two look like you're getting along quite well," Emily gushed, looking back and forth between the young couple. 

"Yes well, that is what you guys wanted it to look like, is it not?" Logan asked tersely.

"Now now, there's no need for that," Richard cut in.  "We simply wanted what's best for you two."

"We're both intelligent adults; certainly we could figure that out for ourselves, no?" Logan shot back.  "Now, if you'll excuse us, I believe that I see some friends."  With that, Logan led Rory across the room to the bar where Colin, Steph and Finn were waiting for drinks. 

"Ah, if it isn't Hartford's newest power couple," Colin teased as they approached.

"Ooh, yes!  They need a name," Stephanie jumped in.  "You know, like Brangelina?  Yes!  We'll call them Rogan!"

"Oh, God," Rory groaned as she rolled her eyes.  "Your friends are crazy, Logan."

"They are, but I've known then too long to trade them in.  Besides, they always keep things interesting."

"That's the truth," Rory scoffed in mock exasperation.

The group of friends took their drinks and settled into conversation finally.  Of course, Logan's friends had to continue to lightly tease him about their status as a power couple, but if they were honest they were all happy to see Logan in this relationship.  It was a shock at first when he'd introduced Rory, but it was glaringly obvious to those around him that Rory was really good for him.  She called him on his crap and could actually keep up with him.  Rory and Logan finally broke away to mingle, as their families expected of them.

Logan proudly introduced Rory to those he spoke with, and he was particularly gratified to note the look of shock on his father's business associates' faces as Rory not only kept up with the conversations about the family business, but actually shared brilliant insight and ideas.  She wasn't just stunning; she was brilliant as well.  Damn his parents.  She was a perfect match, but he would never admit that to them.  He and Rory had decided to keep the elder Gilmores, the Huntzbergers and Francine Hayden in the dark about the actual status of their relationship for as long as possible.  The last thing they needed was additional pressure from their families; that's why they had come up with the hair-brained idea of turning the tables on their families in the first place.

Frankly, watching Rory charm everyone in the room with her beauty, wit and intelligence left Logan dying to kiss her, so eventually he excused them from their current company and led her out into the gardens behind the Gilmore estate.  As they reached the garden, he pulled her into his arms.  He held her close and whispered to her.

"You have been amazing in there tonight, Ace.  If I'd known that you could have made these events tolerable I would have wooed you long ago," he teased.

"Ah, but you lost out, my good man.  You'll just have to settle for having me at them now.  Look on the bright side, you're guaranteed that I'll be there next to you at all of them for the next year and a half."

"Damn, I should have had the foresight to try to sneak in a later expiration date for the arrangement in there," Logan tutted.

"Hindsight is 20/20, Huntzberger," she replied as she curled closer into him, inhaling his intoxicating scent and enjoying being in his arms. 

They could hear the music from inside, and Logan began swaying quietly with her in his arms.  This wasn't a waltz for show; this was a quiet, intimate moment with his girlfriend.  Rory closed her eyes and laid her head on his shoulder, content to be in this moment.

"You know," Logan finally whispered, "I've been dying to kiss you since we walked into the party."

"Well, there's nothing stopping you now, is there?  I mean, we're outside all by ourselves..."

Logan didn't let her finish her sentence before he leaned down and kissed her tenderly.  He placed his hands on either side of her face and held her gently as his lips found hers.  They melted together for a few minutes before reluctantly breaking apart and walking through the gardens hand-in-hand for a bit.  Neither knew that their families had seen exactly what had happened since they walked outside.

"Yes, I think things are coming along quite nicely," Mitchum said as he saw the young couple embrace and interact tenderly with each other.

"Indeed, much better than we could have anticipated.  I thought it would take them much longer to form a relationship," Richard replied.

"Oh, Shira!  Can't you just see our grandbabies now - with his blonde hair and her blue eyes?  They'll be just stunning," Emily cooed.

"That they will, Emily," Shira responded warmly.

"Now, ladies, let's not let them get wind of our plans.  If we want to have any hope of getting them to agree to the arranged marriage we need to let them get to know each other without pressure from us.  Our jobs will be much easier if they begin to have feelings for each other.  We mustn't interfere," Richard warned.

"Richard is correct; we must proceed as we discussed.  Let's leave them alone as much as possible.  Let them be college students and sow their wild oats together now.  We'll just gently encourage them to enjoy things for now, jetting around the world or living kept lives.  We need them to get that all out of their system now so they'll agree to the marriage contract and business mergers when Logan graduates," Mitchum continued.

It was a night with many secrets, and neither party had any idea what the other was up to at the moment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Kidnapped By

Fanfiction

811 47 12
Logan wants to propose to Rory. Will she say Yes? Will he get cold feet? Will he not show up? If he/she doesn't[ show up, will it be because of cold...
23.2K 766 97
It's been several months since Logan walked away from Rory at her graduation. What happens when they run into each other again?
70.2K 1.7K 52
This story takes place 7 years after Rory turned down Logan's proposal. What happens when Logan and Rory run into each other in New York City? Loga...
44K 1K 24
Logan and Rory haven't spoken since that fateful day 8 years ago when she refused his proposal and both of their hearts were broken, but neither of t...