Eva's Expedition

By LadySerein

Sit up straight. Cross your ankles. Cover your freckles. Only have straight A's. Don't speak unless spoke... More

Chapter 1: Evangeline Rivers
Chapter 2: Damien
Chapter 3: Tired
Chapter 4: Runaway
Chapter 5: Breakfast
Chapter 6: Roadtrip
Chapter 7: Maid Of The Mist
Chapter 8: Truly American
Chapter 9: Gone Fishing
Chapter 10: How I Like It
Chapter 11: Logan's Baby
Chapter 12: Beach Day
Chapter 13: Pizza & Aloe..
Chapter 14: The Date
Chapter 15: Go Wild
Chapter 16: Buzzed
Chapter 17: Hangovers
Chapter 18: Rainy Days
Chapter 19: Haunted Hotel
Chapter 20: The Reading
Chapter 21: Stay With Me
Chapter 22: Boozey Bonfire
Chapter 23: A Quick Dip
Chapter 24: Lazy Sundays
Chapter 25: Plans Over Takout
Chapter 26: The Bean
Chapter 27: Flexibility
Chapter 28: Nixed
Chapter 29: 3 Day Stay
Chapter 30: Why?
Chapter 31: The Wildlife
Chapter 32: A New Eva
Chapter 33: His Zone
Chapter 34: Jump
Chapter 35: Brainfreeze
Chapter 36: Tree Huggers
Chapter 37: Infected
Chapter 39: Trail Riding
Chapter 40: Rise N' Shine
Chapter 41: Rainy Day Activities
Chapter 42: Movie Date
Chapter 43: Chocolate and Wine
Chapter 44: Girls Day
Chapter 45: Arrival
Chapter 46: Moving Out
Chapter 47: Happy Birthday
Epilouge pt 1: After
Epilogue pt 2: Two -> Three
New book!

Chapter 38: Chicken Noodle Soup

789 35 2
By LadySerein

We did not leave after we got back from the ER.

I got back to that loft bed and promptly went to sleep. Logan thought nothing of it and crawled right back into bed with me.

The thought of him being sick because of me still swirled in my mind, but Logan was convinced he'd be fine.

If not, we'd see the symptoms and know what it was anyway. I woke up peacefully, finally not feeling like throwing up.

I still didn't feel like myself, but it's not like I was dying or anything. It was mostly achy exhaustion that was dragging me down to the bed like a weight.

Regardless, I had to pee.

So I got up and slowly climbed down the ladder. Logan was playing with Nix in the kitchen, trying to pull a shirt from her teeth.

"Ah, the beast awakens," Logan whispered to Nix, glancing at me with a smile.

I stuck my tongue out at him and went to do my business. Logan caught me as soon as I walked into the kitchen.

"How're you feeling?" He asked, tugging me to his chest.

"Hmm, better. Just sickly," I hummed tiredly, my voice still crackly, "What time is it?"

"Twelve thirty," Logan chuckled as my eyes widened. Looks like I'd slept in longer than I thought.

"You need the sleep," he shrugged, leaning down to my level.

I put my hand between us before he could go any further, "I wouldn't kiss me if I were you. I'm sick?"

Logan grinned at me, "You know I don't care. If anything, we'll be sick together."

I smiled against his lips as he kissed me. As sweet as that was, he's totally going to get sick.

"I like you being sick anyway," he said as he pulled away.

I made a face, "I don't. Why?"

"I get to take care of you," he cooed at me, making a baby face.

I laughed and shoved him away feebly, "I'm not dying. It's like a cold now."

"Either way," Logan turned and grabbed something off the counter, "Here's your meds."

I rolled my eyes but took the medication the doctor had prescribed me. I went right back to bed, settling down to just watch tv.

"You hungry?" Logan called from the kitchen.

I chewed my lip, nervous that if I ate anything, I would just throw it up, "I dunno. I'm not sure if I could hold it down."

"Well I'll just make something that's easy to throw up then."

I chuckled and sat back in the soft pillows. I was half asleep when something warm was settled in my lap.

I blinked and looked up at Logan, "What's this?"

He smiled and handed me a spoon, "Homemade chicken noodle soup."

I looked down at the bowl full of curly noodles, chunks of chicken and a steaming broth. It smelled amazing.

"Careful, its hot," Logan said as I raised a spoonful to my mouth. I blew on it and took a sip.

The broth coated the back of my throat and the chicken and noodles went down easy. It tasted as good as it smelled. Just eating it seemed to make me perk up a little.

"This is great, I feel a little better," I said to Logan as he sat on the edge of the bed, "How'd you know it'd work so well?"

He grinned, "Mom used to make it for me when I was sick. There's just something about chicken noodle soup when you don't feel well."

I could see the look in his eyes, regardless that he was smiling at me. He was remembering her and I didn't blame him. You don't forget the little things like that.

I grinned at him, "Well I think you're right."

I scooted over and patted the blankets beside me. Logan started to climb in next to me, but paused when Nix began to whine downstairs.

"Hold up," he chuckled and disappeared down the ladder.

He came back with Nix and dumped her on the bed. She stumbled around, rolling over and jumped on my feet happily.

I chuckled and scratched under her chin, keeping her away from my food.

Logan and I sat in bed for a while. I ended up finishing off two bowls of soup without feeling like I'd see the contents again.

Logan fell asleep against my shoulder as another tv show ended. Nix lay in between my legs, also snoozing peacefully for a mid afternoon nap.

I glanced at Logan and looked down at the gentle grip his hand had on mine while he slept. I smiled to myself. No one had really taken care of me like this.

If I was ever feeling sick back at home, mom wouldn't believe me unless I had a fever. If I did have one, she'd lock me in my room and tell me to keep away from her and dad because they couldn't afford to get sick.

The maids would come in and out to see if I was still breathing and to bring me food or medicine.

No one really held their hand to my forehead, or asked me if I was feeling better. I couldn't recall anyone ever making chicken noodle soup just to make me feel better, or sitting with me for comfort even though they were at risk of getting sick too.

I frowned as I wondered how I never noticed that as a kid. At the time, I had no idea I wasn't receiving the average type of love parents were supposed to give to their children.

Looking back now, I could see how careless my parents were and how they never really paid me any attention. I was too old to have a pity party over it now, but it still stung.

I had always thought they were too busy to tell me goodnight or that I had to work myself harder to reach their standards for them to kiss me on the forehead when they left every day.

I never realized that they had always put work and status before their own daughter. Until now. It made me want to hate them. I wanted to scream at them for leaving me in the dark and compensating with money that never worked.

For keeping me from having real friends and for thinking I wasn't good enough for them.

But the anger was pointless really. They weren't about to change and they were certainly too proud to apologize or even agree with me. My parents will always be the way they are, and it killed me that I had no faith in them to change whatsoever because I knew it would never happen.

When I eventually have to go back home, I hoped that they could at least understand why I was going to leave again. And why I would not be coming back.

If they didn't care now, they aren't about to care later anyway. I'll send them a Christmas card or something so they know I still think of them, if it doesn't get buried under the piles of documents and files on their desks.

I felt Logan shift around next to me, his warmth comforting me and my swirling thoughts. I knew he had shown me more love and compassion in the few weeks I'd known him than my parents ever had. There was something wrong there.

I knew Logan's dad wasn't the greatest, but his mother must've been the kindest woman there ever was- judging by the way he talked of her. It was Jenny that had taught Logan what love really was, and I was jealous.

I wanted to know what that felt like, to miss someone because they meant so much to you. But I was also thankful, it was her who gave such a caring man to me. I wished I could personally thank her and even hug her for raising Logan right. He's still teaching me what love can really be.

"For someone so sick, you shouldn't be thinking so hard."

I jumped a little as Logan's deep voice brought me out of my zoning. I looked at him as he sat up and wrapped an arm around my shoulders, "Whatcha thinking about?"

"Nothing," I shrugged off the heavy feeling and smiled. I leaned forward and kissed his cheek softly, "Thank you for taking care of me."

Logan smiled and tucked a strand of tangled hair behind my ear, "Always, Eva."
---------------

"Oh I'm fine. The medicine is really kicking in and I'm already feeling better," I said into the phone reassuringly.

"I'm just wondering if you should start traveling again so soon," Louise sighed through the speaker.

"I'm serious, I'm fine now. Its been a few days and I'm ready to keep on. Plus, the quicker we get to the next destination, the closer we'll be to seeing you," I grinned, carrying Logan's hoodie over to my backpack and stuffing it in.

"That's true," Louise giggled excitedly, "How are you and lover boy anyway?"

I chuckled, "We're doing just fine."

"And the puppy?"

"Nix is getting a little fat," I mumbled looking down at the fluffy white fuzzball dancing around my feet as I packed, "But I think that's just her fur."

Louise laughed, "The fatter the cuter."

I shrugged in agreement and gently nudged Nix away with my toe as I zipped up my bag, pressing the phone to my ear with my shoulder.

"Well it was nice talking to you. We're about to get on the road soon, so I'll have to call you later," I said to Louise, swimming my bag onto my back.

"Okay, call soon, I miss you," she said and I smiled.

"I will."

We hung up and I placed the cabins phone back on the stand. I stooped and grabbed Nix, carefully going down the ladder.

Logan was piling things up in the truck bed and making sure we were all set to go.

"Ready?" Logan took my bag as I got to the truck.

I nodded, "Let's go."

We both jumped in and Nix settled on my lap. Logan directed the truck out of the cabins driveway and we were back on the road.

Now, we were headed to the twelfth and final destination on my list. It felt like Niagara Falls was just a distant memory now.

I couldn't believe that my trip was nearly over. I had almost accomplished everything I had wanted to happen on this trip and more.

I was amazed to say the least. I didn't want this trip to end.

"So, what's the plan for the Grand Canyon?" Logan looked at me with a grin.

"Um, hike," I chuckled, "I want to take this certain path."

Logan nodded, "I assume we're flying by the seat of our pants as per usual?"

I giggled, "Oh yeah. Do we travel in any other way?"

He shook his head and laughed, "I think it's our own kind of style."

I nodded in agreement, "Just imagine what sort of pictures you can get there."

Logan smiled as we got onto the interstate, "I would love to have a sunrise picture on the edge of a cliff."

"We can do that," I said, picking up his camera and studying it.

"Good thing we're near the end of this trip, my memory in that thing is starting to dwindle," Logan chuckled.

I had been wondering how long it would take for that to happen. Logan loved snapping pictures left and right, I was amazed this hadn't happened on our sixth destination.

I leaned back against the seat and watched the scenery outside quickly roll by. I cracked the window open for Nix and she stood on my lap, happily sticking her nose in the air to catch a whiff.

It would be about a twelve hour drive for us. I planned on switching off with Logan further down the road. We'd reach Arizona around eight o'clock tonight.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

285 20 75
Evangelene (or Eva, as everyone calls her) is a normal young girl who lives in Winnipeg with her mother and younger sister. Her best friend, Tami, is...
261 0 11
I was close to dying if not from my sister. I went from bitches at school to my alcoholic, addict abusing mother. Then my best friend decided he want...
2.9K 355 34
Riley's P.O.V I'm starting my first day of my senior year today. I'm 17, moved 46 times, and I have to keep my head down because of my dad's mistake...
Altered By Luella M Opal

General Fiction

169 30 30
Have you ever met someone who alters the course of your life? For good or for bad, they've come in, given and taken, and then- BOOM! Your life was...