The Catalyst (GirlXGirl)

Od LBrooks23

~COMPLETED~ In a world that is overruled with corruption and a new incurable disease sweeping through several... Více

Chp. 1 "New Best Friend"
Chp. 2 "One Year Later"
Chp. 3 "Attraction"
Chp. 4 "A New Face"
Chp. 5 "Undeniable Feelings"
Chp. 6 "Change of Plans"
Chp. 7 "Close Call"
Chp. 8 "Realization"
Chp. 9 "Here's the Plan"
Chp. 10 "Good Guys and Bad Guys"
Chp. 11 "Finishing Up"
Chp. 12 "Oops"
Chp. 13 "Revelation"
Chp. 14 "Who Am I?"
Chp. 15 "What's Next?"
Chp. 16 "The Call"
Chp. 17 "Recruiting"
Chp. 18 "Last Day"
Chp. 19 "Rehearsal"
Chp. 20 "A Familiar Face"
Chp. 21 "And We're Off!"
Chp. 22 "A Friendly Chat"
Chp. 23 "Arrived"
Chp. 24 "Meet the Masons"
Chp. 25 "Eye Opener"
Chp. 26 "Close Call"
Chp. 27 "Home Sweet Home"
Chp. 28 "New Ability"
Chp. 29 "A Serious Talk"
Chp. 30 "Untimely Introductions"
Chp. 31 "Proper Introductions"
Chp. 32 "Preparation"
Chp. 33 "Convincing Lies"
Chp. 34 "Bad News"
Chp. 36 "Goodbyes"
Chp. 37 "Phase 1"
Chp. 38 "Finally Alone"
Chp. 39 "Deep Thought"
Chp. 40 "Doctor Henson"
Chp. 41 "Down Time"
Chp. 42 "Pursuing Phase 3"
Chp. 43 "Surprise"
Chp. 44 "Welcome to the Bureau"
Chp. 45 "The Lab"
Chp. 46 "The Truth Sucks"
Chp. 47 "Deep Conversations"
Chp. 48 "It's a Date"
Chp. 49 "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures"
Chp. 50 "Two-Sided Story"
Chp. 51 "Hard Work"
Chp. 52 "Great News"
Chp. 53 "Shocking Information"
Chp. 54 "Saving Avery"
Chp. 55 "Confessions"
Chp. 56 "Shocking Secrets"
Chp. 57 "Unexpected Call"
Chp. 58 "Old Wounds"
Chp. 59 "Training"
Chp. 60 "A Much Needed Talk"
Chp. 61 "Awkwad Introductions"
Chp. 62 "Business Meeting"
Chp. 63 "Late Night Talk"
Chp. 64 "Round Two"
Chp. 65 "Friendly Advice"
Chp. 66 "Forgive Me"
Chp. 67 "Morning After"
Chp. 68 "The Final Meeting"
Chp. 69 "The Plan's in Motion"
Chp. 70 "Mishap"
Chp. 71 "Plan B"
Chp. 72 "Escape"
Chp. 73 "The Final Chase"
Chp. 74 "Aftermath"
Chp. 75 "A Step Forward"
Chp. 76 "Welcome Home"
Chp. 77 "A New Beginning"

Chp. 35 "Secret Skills"

13.3K 469 34
Od LBrooks23

Chp. 35 “Secret Skills”

“So you and your friends will leave tomorrow around noon, correct?”

I answered swiftly, wanting to sound as professional as possible, “Yes Mr. Boyd.”

“Please, call me Agent Rogers. Now you and your friends will make it to South Carolina within 5 to 6 hours, it isn’t a long trip but it’s better to take this trip in stages. Phase 1 will be complete when you make it to the hotel and Agent Harris has briefed you on Phase 2. He’ll meet with you around 7:00.”

I felt the blood course through my veins furiously as I realized just exactly what was happening tomorrow. We would leave for the first Phase and head to South Carolina where we would meet Agent Harris who was going to brief us on Phase 2. He would have information for all of us and I knew once we started there was no turning back. I was just grateful that I wasn’t going on this trip alone, and I would have my two best friends by my side.

I glanced down at the address to the hotel that I had written on a piece of paper, knowing tomorrow we would leave.

“Andy, are you still there?”

Agent Roger’s voice snapped me out of my day dream and looked at Avery, causing me to smile slightly. “Yes sir, just mentally making sure we’ve covered everything.” I wanted to sound professional because I was getting involved with super confidential people and I was only 18. I didn’t want them to take advantage of me but they all knew I was just like my father, so I figured they wouldn’t try any funny business.

“Aright, well I expect to hear good things from Agent Harris.”

I responded quickly, “Yes sir.”

“I hope to see you in a couple days, good bye Andy.”

Then I heard a click on the other end of the phone, allowing me to exhale a deep breath I had been holding. I shoved my phone back in my pocket and looked at my three friends, “Everything’s set and ready to go for tomorrow.”

Gage stayed quite as he continued to map out the route to our hotel tomorrow, and Max was playing with his electricity. Avery seemed to be the only one genuinely worried and nervous, so I walked over to her and wrapped my arms around her waist.

Pulling her away from the two boys I gave her a reassuring smile, “It’s gonna be ok Avery, I promise.”

She sighed heavily as we sat on the hood of an old car, allowing the summer heat to surround us. I knew she was thinking of the worst possibilities but I couldn’t let her think negatively about this trip because it would only bring us down.

She spoke, “I don’t know Andy, I just have a bad feeling…”

I figured it was because we were leaving the state, traveling over a hundred miles up north to New York to find this Bureau. Of course she was going to have a bad feeling; she had never done this before. She was nervous, I was too, and I was sure we were having minor anxiety because of it.

There was really nothing to worry about.

I kissed her soft cheek as I hugged her closer, “If I’m around I promise nothing bad will happen, to you, Max, or Gage.”

This got her to soften and relax a bit, and she smiled into our next kiss. I wanted her along for the ride more than anything because if I didn’t have her with me I would be worried sick about her the entire time I was away. I wanted her in my life, and even though she didn’t have powers she could still be in it.

I whispered, “And just think of all the nights we’ll have alone, no interruptions…”

I heard her giggle slightly into my neck as she kissed my jaw, “That is a good positive…”

My left hand grazed over the smooth skin of her leg while my right hand gripped her waist. The sexual tension between us was obvious, but lately I had been feeling quite attached to Avery emotionally as well. I figured it was because it was a new relationship, and also I had never connected with someone so quickly. I loved this girl, I knew that much, but loving someone made you vulnerable, and loving someone in my condition, well, it could be deadly.

And as much as I tried not to think about it, the thought never failed to consume me on some nights when I lied awake.

I pulled back, taking in her face as she blushed slightly, either from my stare or the Florida heat. Her skin was golden with a summer tan while her light hazel eyes were completely pulling me in. She had decided to wear her hair down today despite the heat, but the humidity and sweat just made it look even more naturally beautiful. I grazed a strand of reddish brown hair behind her ear and smiled, “You’re beautiful.”

Her blushing deepened another shade as she leaned her head into my palm, “You’re not so bad yourself.”

I smirked at her response, knowing she was trying to get a rise out of me. I kissed her neck and began to get carried away when Max shouted, “Andy!”

I looked up in annoyance, but instantly I realized what he was going to do. The flashing ball of lightning in his hand was sparking, and I watched in horror as he raised his hand into the air. I had about half a second to react, and I stood, reaching into myself and pulling the “arm” to extend in front of me and Avery.

Max had sent the ball of electricity hurling towards us within the next half second, and I strengthened Avery’s side of the shield as I prepared for impact.

As soon as Max’s electric jab hit the shield I heard Avery scream, she had been completely caught off guard. The electricity scattered across the shield, which extended in a half-sphere kind of way. I instantly cursed Max, “What the hell were you thinking? You could’ve seriously hurt Avery!”

He walked up to us slowly, his toned and tanned arms exposed from his cut-off T shirt. His arms folded across his chest but I couldn’t contain the rage that had built up inside me within the last three seconds.

“Andy, I’m testing your reflexes.”

I realized he hadn’t done it to hurt anyone, but he had done it to teach me something. He wanted to see how I would react if I was caught off guard, and now we knew I could react quickly. I sighed, realizing he wasn’t in the wrong, “I’m sorry… I just, I was caught off guard and Avery was next to me-“

“Yea, and you react pretty well when you’re distracted, so kudos.”

I knew I couldn’t stay mad at Max, no matter how reckless or crazy he was. Max was good at teaching, and he had taught me everything I knew about my first power. He knew how to bring out the best in me, and it was usually when I was angry.

Gage had soon joined us and was looking at Max and I, and I wondered silently what he was thinking of. Then his attention turned to Avery, who was standing close to me, still shaken up by Max’s insane act. Then Gage spoke, “Avery, do you know basic defense?”

I looked at Avery, remembering some of the beginning fighting classes we had taken and how it had been quite useful. She shrugged, “Yea a little, why?”

He shrugged, “Because, considering Max and Andy can control and contain electricity, they can defend off people a lot easier than you.”

Then I heard constant crackling that sounded like static, and I averted my attention away from Gage and Avery towards Max. He had coursed electricity all through his body, and you could see all of the tiny electric currents running over his skin. The sight was amazing, and I knew I could do it too but I had never learned how. Max smirked, “Yea, no one’s gonna wanna touch a human lightning bolt.”

I spoke to Max, “How are you doing that?”

He shrugged, “I’ll show you later.”

Gage spoke, “So Avery, should we test out your fighting ability?”

I pulled her arm causing her to fall more into me, I didn’t want Gage touching her. Even though I knew he wouldn’t hurt her that much, I knew my strength better. I spoke, “I’ll be the test dummy, since technically I’m invincible.”

Gage crossed his arms, “You can do it for now, but Avery might have to go against larger opponents, like men, not girls her size.”

Avery looked at Gage wearily as I nodded, agreeing with his predictions. I pulled Avery off to the side, “Look, he’s right, but you can practice with me for now to get more confident, ok? Don’t hold back.”

She sighed, “I don’t want to hurt you.”

I tilted my head, smirking, “You can’t hurt me.”

Gage started, “I’ll teach you some things I learned in the police academy, and then we’ll go from there.” He stepped forward, directing me towards Avery, “Put her in a choke.”

I clenched my jaw, doing as he said and coming up from behind Avery swiftly. I brought my right arm under her chin and around her neck quickly, but Avery seemed to be one step ahead of me. I felt her tiny hand grip mine, pulling back and twisting swiftly under my arm, extending and straightening it behind me. The sharp pain continued through my arm and back, crippling me as I fell to my knees, completely under her command.

I had to admit, she was quick, and I hadn’t expected that.

She released me and helped me up, allowing me to look at her, “Nice.”

Gage agreed, “Yea, that was good,” then he turned to Max, “But wanna know another way?”

Max stepped up to Gage, moving to put him in a choke, but Gage began the same movements as Avery. Then, instead of twisting under Max’s arm, he gripped Max’s arm tight and flung Max over his back. I grimaced at the violence of it, and when Max hit the ground on his back he coughed from pain.

It was quick, all happening within two seconds but I knew this move would be a lot better than what Avery had done to me. This move could injure the enemy and give Avery time to escape.

Gage looked at me, “You ok with trying that?”

I shrugged, feeling a little nervous of the approaching pain but knowing I had agreed to be the test dummy. I sighed, “Yea, let’s try it.”

“I’m not ok with doing that to Andy!”

I looked at Avery who was crossing her arms in protest, I pushed forward, “Avery, just do it, its ok.”

I could see clear conflict in her eyes but I nodded, encouraging her not to worry about me. I mean, after all, I would simply heal if anything went wrong.

I approached Avery’s back quickly, wrapping under her chin and around her neck like before. I felt her grip tighten on me harder, and I braced myself for the throw down. I felt her lurch forward, throwing me off balance and over her shoulder. I landed hard on my back, knocking the wind out of my lungs as I felt Avery climb on top of me, pinning my arms down with her knees.

She threw me a sympathetic look as I tried to catch my breath, “I’m sorry…”

I shook my head, “Its fine…” my voice was forced and strained, but I was ok. Nothing seemed to be broken, although my wind was taking some time to come back.

Avery climbed off of me and grabbed my hand, pulling me off of the ground. She dusted her blue jeans off but I passed, figuring it wouldn’t be the last time today that I would hit to dirt.

Gage spoke, “How did you perfect that move already?”

Avery looked at me and then turned her attention to Gage. I knew she had done this before, there was no way she was born with this kind of skill. There had to be something else going on here.

“My brothers in the Army, Gage, he taught me a few things.”

POSTED: February 23, 2014

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

1.9K 69 15
Andy Warthorn is a bright light. And like a moth drawn to a flame, Jia Greene - closeted lesbian - follows her, hoping one day she'll get close enoug...
The Ally Od ESaraithewriter

Mystery / Thriller

137 7 17
It doesn't take much to set me off. I'm a ticking time bomb. I'm a black widow spider feeding on anyone and anything weaker than me. And I have power...
2.4M 82.8K 41
~COMPLETED~ GirlxGirl / TeacherxStudent. ~ ~ ~Being one of the most popular girls in high school, Kate Brooks thinks her life is perfect. She has mon...
24.3K 1.3K 27
What if Quynh wasn't the first immortal Andy ever found? What if there was another? Your name is Zosime of Cyclades...Zo for short. You and Andy fo...