A Voyage Within Qalb

Av reverieofthestars

There are some things you just don't get over. No matter how hard you try, some memories just don't fade away... Mer

A Voyage Within Qalb
[ epigraph ]
graphics (part I)
graphics (part II)
[ preview ]
00 | Prologue
Chapter 01: Perfect, Or So I Believe
Chapter 02: Racing Against Time
Chapter 03: The Surprises of Blood Work
Chapter 04: Ey Sevgilim (Oh My Love)
Chapter 05: When Words Seem Sharper Than Swords
Chapter 06: Seedlings of Love
Chapter 07: Maghrib In My Heart
Chapter 08: One Step Forward
Chapter 09: Rewards of the Patient
Chapter 11: New Feelings
Chapter 12: Conquering The Two Worlds
Chapter 13: Blurring The Lines
Chapter 14: Preparations Out Of Time
Chapter 15: Breaking Through Anger
Chapter 16: Poetess, And Her Prayers
Chapter 17: Homesick For A Feeling
Chapter 18: Set Sail On A Voyage
Chapter 19: The Wrong Moves
Chapter 20: Gatekeeper Of All Hearts
Chapter 21: Ancient Scars, New Souls
Chapter 22: Saving Darkening Skies
Chapter 23: Moonlit Tides of the Night
Chapter 24: Fate's Perfect Timing
Chapter 25: Aligning Paths With You

Chapter 10: Stories of Love

10.2K 978 572
Av reverieofthestars

5th April, 2020

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr: "A person asked Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) . "What (sort of) deeds in or (what qualities of) Islam are good?" He replied, "To feed (the poor) and greet those whom you know and those whom you don't know."" Reference: Sahih al-Bukhari 2

Chapter 10:

Stories of Love

Walking out of the orphanage, Leila felt a little sad for the girls she had just visited. Though she tried her best to make them feel loved and wanted, the fear that overshadowed their happiness was too heavy for her to bear. Every two weeks, she would find the time to sit with the little munchkins in the girls' dormitory and tell them about things they needed to know. This time was no different, and as she climbed into Laith's car with a salaam, she remembered their eager faces as she had spoken.

"There was once a princess who lived in a castle." Leila started, as the little ones listened with fervour. "She was so beautiful that her parents worried for her. They would keep her locked up in her room because they were scared they wouldn't be able to protect her. Little did they know that the princess was protected by the Lord of the Worlds. The princess didn't mind, as long as she was given what she wanted. They lived for many years in a faraway kingdom, and everyday, the princess looked out of her window on the seventh floor and saw birds flying free atop the beautiful forest.

One day, she heard the most peculiar sound coming from a distant land. It seemed to call her from farther than her eye could see. It was a beautiful sound, and she heard it five times every day. She tried saying it, word by word, and had finally learnt it in a few weeks. But she knew, if she told anybody about it, they would distract her with other things and convince her that the castle was her home. They would plan to increase the security around her room. She was sick and tired of the castle, she only seeked to find the peace the birds did everyday. She wanted to be free, and it seemed that the voice calling to her was her only hope.

On a dark, moonless night, she tied a rope to her window and climbed down the castle wall. She had covered herself with a black cloak and scarf, knowing that it would keep her well hidden. She mounted her horse and took off into the forest. It took her very long to reach the other side, but her patience was rewarded, because she heard the peculiar sounds nearby.

It was a masjid, with a beautiful green dome and white walls. After a few hours, she mustered up her courage to go inside. Again, she was rewarded with a book that was the Word of God. It promised her the peace she was looking for, for when we take a step towards Him, He takes ten steps towards us. Things took their turn for the worst when somebody recognised her and vowed to return her to her parents. She did not want to be caged anymore, she wanted to learn and learn for eternity, and thus, she fought with anyone who dared to send her back."

"Does it have a sad ending?" Halima asked, her eyes round.

"No, it has a happy ending." Leila smiled at the six year old who seemed reassured enough to continue. "Then the day came when somebody from the castle informed her parents. The princess was now scared, she thought they would take away all the books she had read on her beautiful religion. Horsemen, caravans and tribes plotted against her, and she fought for her rights until the very end. And one day, she died a beautiful death with the shahadah on her lips."

"You said it wouldn't have a sad ending!" Halima complained as the other girls cried out in sadness.

"But it does not." Leila shook her head. "The Princess now lives in the Gardens of Jannah, she is happier there. Don't you think her struggle to find and learn the Truth was worth it if she found herself in eternal bliss at last?"

"But she died." Rumaisha shuddered.

"Death is not the end for a Believer." Leila said, gently. "It is the end of trials and the beginning of happiness."

"Then why don't we all just die now?" Halima asked, a little excited.

"Because this life is a gift." Leila explained. "It's a blessing from Allah, a present to prove that you deserve the treasures of Jannah. We all will die one day, you don't have to be afraid of it. Death is when you can meet your Lord, you can meet the One Who Created all the beautiful things around you. But are you in the state to meet him yet? Have you done enough good?"

"Then we have a lot of good things to do, we shouldn't waste time!" Rumaisha, another seven year old, spoke urgently.

"You're right, we shouldn't." Leila agreed. "Just like the Princess, we have to go through tough times with patience, we should never lose hope. We should search for the Truth and be firm in it. Because one day, we will die and meet our Lord. And finally, everything will fall into place."

"Leila Di, now I just want to get over with this world's life and go to Jannah!" Sumaiyyah exclaimed.

"In Shaa Allah." Leila laughed. "May you meet your Lord in a state which pleases Him."

"Ameen!" The girls cried, for Leila always ended her storytelling session with a du'a.

"Whose story did you tell them this time?" Laith asked as Leila pulled the seatbelt over herself.

"Ruhina Di's story." Leila told him, and he cast an apologetic glance her way.

Ruhina was none other than the maid who worked at their house for over ten years. In the process, she had heard Laith's qira'at, seen Leila pray, heard their mother teaching them values. At the end, it had taken a toll on her heart, and she had arrived one day with a hijab on her head. Leila always marvelled at the strength she showed to reach the Truth that was written for her, even if her family was against it. It was recently that they had heard about her death. Leila couldn't help but think that her story of love must be told to inspire those who needed to hear it.

"Inna lillahi wa Inna ilayhi raji'un." Laith spoke solemnly.

"Indeed." Leila sighed. "Hey, where are we going?" She asked as he had taken a turn that diverted away from their house.

"Mum asked me to confirm the order we gave them..." He said, pointing to a baking studio. "You stay here, I'll be right back." He told her before parking in front of the internet-book café, and climbing out of the chair.

To her surprise, she recognised Laeeq sitting on one of the coffee tables, typing away at the laptop in front of him. He instinctively looked up and Leila almost thought he caught her staring through the glass partition before she turned away. To distract her thoughts about the beautiful brown eyes gleaming in the evening sun, she switched on her phone. The email she had read a few hours ago was still open.

To: leila.m97@ksinternational.com

From: admin@vitalsgroupofhospitals.com

Good Morning Ms. Leila Muhammad,

We are writing to inform you that you have been selected for a job transfer from K. S. International to the Administrative Department in Vitals Hospital, Inersaw.

It has been reviewed that your expertise in Financing and Accounts has surpassed the levels we were looking for. Your company has forwarded us the necessary documents. We hope you will take this opportunity to rise in your career, and we wait to welcome you at Vitals Hospital, Inersaw.

If you decide to reply in the affirmative, please visit K. S. International to collect your Transfer And Referral Card. You will find further instructions therein.

Thank you.

Administrative Head,

Vitals Group of Hospitals,

Inersaw, Renefseth.

She was equally excited and disheartened at the same time. Stuck with the same group of friends since childhood, it had never occurred to her that the day she'd have to walk on her own path would be so near. She didn't take too long to adjust, her nature was optimal for the changes in life, but changing constants was something she wanted to do herself. Perhaps she was too much at ease, and perhaps this was the means to outwork and expand her comfortable zone.

Somehow, she knew she'd accept the offer. She was ready for change, in more ways than the definition offered. Not because hospitals had her thinking about a certain pair of eyes on a certain someone... Or maybe they did. If she was thinking in the right direction, he worked at the same hospital. Though that did not guarantee her the changes she suddenly seemed to desire, it was a step towards where she wanted to be.

It was days since the Charity Camp, she hasn't seen him since until today. It was dampening her almost non-existent hopes until she came across the coffee shop. She was starting to get used to her old normal, until life decided she'd better not go back on her decision that he had the cutest smile ever.

Aaarrgh. Leila thought, half-amused at herself. You're such a dumb dumb.

With Ramadan around the corner and Kareema's eight month pregnant sister arriving, Leila had almost forgotten about Laeeq. But it took only a few moments, certain words and a wave of the evening breeze to unlock multitudes of memories. Even if it had been a passing glance, her brain seemed to register every move as his fingers tapped the keyboard.

She tried ignoring all of it like it was no big deal, but it seemed like her heart just wouldn't listen.

Maybe it is true, women do think too much. She thought, smiling a little as she imagined her and Laeeq sitting at the coffee table together.

Laith walked back to the car past Laeeq, and soon, they were at their house. Leila's mother still had quite a lot to do as Husna and her family were coming for dinner that night. Hikmah ordered her children around, hurrying the process. It was after Leila had freshened up and worn a new dark green dress with a matching hijab when the doorbell rang.

"I'll go check!" She called out before rushing to the door to welcome one of her best friends... Until, it wasn't.

"Assalam Alaykum!" The girl in the abaya spoke, looking like she was out of breath. "Miss. Leila Muhammad?"

"Wa Alaykum Assalam, I'm sorry I don't recognise you." Leila answered.

"I'm Aunty Asma's niece." The girl said. "I'm here to deliver the cake you ordered." She held up a box.

"Aah, jazakillahu khairan." Leila thanked her as she handed the box over. "Do you want to come in for a bit?" Leila asked, as the girl was still panting.

"Sure, if you don't mind." The girl grinned. "The elevator wasn't working, and I had to climb up here."

"Come on, I'll get you a glass of water." Leila said, closing the door after the girl had walked in.

"What's your name?" Leila asked.

"'Aisha Abdullah." The girl said, after drinking the water. "You honestly just saved my life, jazakillahu khairan."

"Wa iyyaki." Leila laughed a little.

"No seriously, your neighbour turned out to be my classmate. That guy was just walking out of his door with his elder sister." 'Aisha spoke.

"What's wrong with them?" Leila asked.

"Nothing, but his sister keeps saying that she wants me to marry her brother." 'Aisha rolled her eyes.

"Woah, that's creepy." Leila's eyes widened.

"I know right?" 'Aisha shook her head. "I told her whoever I marry would be her brother anyway, so there's no need to make a fuss."

"Oh wow..." Leila laughed as 'Aisha grinned at her.

"I should get going." 'Aisha said after a while, handing Leila the empty glass. "Thanks for the water."

"You're welcome." Leila replied. "I'll just come down with you, I'm just waiting for the guests anyway."

"So Aunty Asma is your real aunt." Leila said, referring to the lady who owned the baking studio as they climbed down the steps.

"Yup." 'Aisha nodded.

"You're lucky, Ma Shaa Allah. I would like to walk into a baking studio and eat whatever I want." Leila grinned.

"Lol." 'Aisha said, out of habit. "Not really. I prefer sending my brother there, she likes him better anyway."

"Why is that?" Leila asked.

"I'm kind of really talkative." 'Aisha admitted sheepishly. "I avoid her because she might get annoyed at me. And everybody knows that an Annoyed Aunty Asma is not someone to be messed with."

"You're cute talkative, not annoying talkative." Leila reassured her.

"You're only saying that because you're nice." 'Aisha laughed. "My brother will tell you how much it takes to keep me shut. He's the guy with the few meaningful words, the one who knows what, when and how you're supposed to talk... I'm the opposite."

"Well, you sure give too many details to a stranger you just met." Leila pointed out, as they reached the parking.

"Oops." 'Aisha smiled at her. "But you sound trustworthy, so I'll take my chances."

"If you say so." Leila chuckled.

"Okay, Assalam Alaykum!" 'Aisha waved as Leila replied and she walked away to the black car that awaited her.

It was when 'Aisha opened the car door that the inside of the vehicle lit up with a soft golden glow, making Laeeq look up. And for the second time that day, Leila's hazel eyes clashed with his brown ones, sending her heart into a frenzy. He held her gaze for a little longer this time, surprise turning into curiosity before he turned to look ahead.

She was his sister. Oh my God. Her mind spoke, it suddenly seemed like that little piece of information made all the difference in the world. Isn't this too much like a story of love?

***

"You're already at the airport?" Fatima spoke into her phone. "I'll see you guys soon, In Shaa Allah. Is Khadijah sleeping?" She paused. "Okay, Assalam Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu, Mum." She said, ending the call.

"Are you ovulating today?" Dr. Lily Pullsey asked, smirking a little at her friend.

Fatima looked at her across the room curiously before clicking on the print button on her computer.

"What?" Fatima raised an eyebrow. "Is that your way of saying I look beautiful today?"

"Mhmm." Lily nodded, with a chuckle. "It's apparently a proven theory, women look prettier when they're ovulating."

"What an amazing in-built privilege for the survival of mankind." Fatima said in a dramatic tone.

"I know right." Lily laughed. "Here we are, talking about love all the time." She shook her head.

"Hey, all kinds of beauty isn't objective." Fatima said, filling the printer with blank A4 sheets.

"You're saying love encompasses all kinds of beauty?" Lily questioned.

"Maybe." Fatima shrugged. "All I'm saying is that the definition of love is so vast that people can opt to blur out and refocus on specific segments. That's what makes it subjective."

"That's actually true." Lily nodded. "For example, attractiveness is a major part of love for me. It might not be for others, but it's in the definition."

"Oooh, look at that." Fatima grinned.

"I'm just saying that I find attractive people more attractive. Isn't that natural?" Lily defended.

"It is, that's why we have beauty standards." Fatima agreed.

"What are your beauty standards like?" Lily asked, a suggestive glint in her eyes.

Samir.

"I've been avoiding this topic for far too long, haven't I?" Fatima sighed after a while.

"Yeah, you have." Lily agreed. "You're lucky he hasn't married anyone yet."

"It is just that I feel I am so done. I've only made a few wrong decisions, but they were the ones that mattered." Fatima spoke, the words leaving from the wound in her heart.

"You'll be okay, Fatima." Lily engulfed her in an embrace, and Fatima hadn't even noticed when Lily had left her chair to come and hug her.

She had been telling herself that for as long as she could remember. Samir had once said he worried less for her because of the hope she carried in her heart. She hadn't understood him then, but she had listened to him talk to her with such ardour that his words seemed to be etched on her soul.

"You know why your hope keeps me afloat?" He asked her. "It's your undenying belief that everything will be okay. The fact that you know it might get harder to deal with things, you might be stuck in a desert for a little longer, getting distracted by the mirages that promise to quench your thirst. The storms may get stronger, the winds may tear at the seams of your heart, the earth and the moon might collide, but at the very end of this realm, your rewards will reach you."

"I only said 'you will be okay'. You're the one who gives more meaning to my words." The nine year old Fatima said with a smile.

"I don't, this is you." Samir spoke. "I can't de-code anybody else's language. It's just your face, when I look at you, it's like magic."

"I'm such an awesome magician." She grinned, and he let her get away with it.

I wish you hadn't let me get away with it. Fatima thought ruefully. I wish you'd made me believe how much you meant every word.

It hurt her to see him at the hospital everyday and not be able to do anything about it. But really, she was to blame because she was the one who had suddenly disappeared after graduation.

Even if she had a reason for it...

Sometimes, it felt like he had given her all his heart and yet, she'd still managed to make him feel like it wasn't enough. She hated feeling that way, it was like her life had stagnated. Why did it feel like this was where she would drown if she didn't find him? Why did she feel like she was tied to a boat out in a storm, that has its anchor buried in the Earth?

...your hope keeps me afloat... She heard his voice again.

It's okay, Fatima. It's going to be okay. She told herself again. Yours is a story of love, and love wins one way or the other, in this world or The Next. It's going to be okay.

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

341K 18.5K 58
(Book 1) Completed: February 13th 2016 Highest rank: #05 on the what's hot list 12/1/15 Tuesday Reached 100k: 3/2/16 Wednesday Reached 200k: 7/12/1...
187K 6.7K 43
"I'm not your personal doctor. And why the hell you want me to bandage your forhead when you have long list of girls to do it for you." I said glarin...
5.9K 320 16
❤MAGICAL LOVE STORY❤ ⛦82 for general fiction _ feb 2018 22nd for general fiction-june 2018 To love is nothing, to be loved is something, bu...
662K 54K 55
[wattpad featured story] For Rabail her entire world revolves around the ideals, traditions, and honor of her family, but fate brings her face to fac...