Eva's Expedition

By LadySerein

Sit up straight. Cross your ankles. Cover your freckles. Only have straight A's. Don't speak unless spoke... More

Chapter 1: Evangeline Rivers
Chapter 2: Damien
Chapter 3: Tired
Chapter 4: Runaway
Chapter 5: Breakfast
Chapter 6: Roadtrip
Chapter 7: Maid Of The Mist
Chapter 8: Truly American
Chapter 9: Gone Fishing
Chapter 10: How I Like It
Chapter 11: Logan's Baby
Chapter 12: Beach Day
Chapter 13: Pizza & Aloe..
Chapter 14: The Date
Chapter 15: Go Wild
Chapter 16: Buzzed
Chapter 17: Hangovers
Chapter 18: Rainy Days
Chapter 19: Haunted Hotel
Chapter 20: The Reading
Chapter 21: Stay With Me
Chapter 22: Boozey Bonfire
Chapter 23: A Quick Dip
Chapter 24: Lazy Sundays
Chapter 25: Plans Over Takout
Chapter 26: The Bean
Chapter 27: Flexibility
Chapter 28: Nixed
Chapter 29: 3 Day Stay
Chapter 30: Why?
Chapter 32: A New Eva
Chapter 33: His Zone
Chapter 34: Jump
Chapter 35: Brainfreeze
Chapter 36: Tree Huggers
Chapter 37: Infected
Chapter 38: Chicken Noodle Soup
Chapter 39: Trail Riding
Chapter 40: Rise N' Shine
Chapter 41: Rainy Day Activities
Chapter 42: Movie Date
Chapter 43: Chocolate and Wine
Chapter 44: Girls Day
Chapter 45: Arrival
Chapter 46: Moving Out
Chapter 47: Happy Birthday
Epilouge pt 1: After
Epilogue pt 2: Two -> Three
New book!

Chapter 31: The Wildlife

843 39 0
By LadySerein

I woke up to the smell of food. Last night after my breakdown, Logan took me to bed and got me to sleep off any more anger I felt for my parents.

I wasn't asleep long when some wolves began to howl outside, which was as unnerving as anyone would think. As if that wasn't bad enough, Nix decided to join them.

I sat up and rubbed my slightly swollen, slightly crusty eyes. I probably looked like hell after that cry fest. I felt a little embarrassed that I broke down like that in front of Logan.

My heart fluttered as I remembered what he told me. My parents couldn't love me, but he sure as hell did. It came to my attention last night that I loved Logan just as much as he loved me.

I sighed and looked out the big window. Sunlight streamed in and warmed my bare legs. I could hear the birds singing and I felt better. It was a release last night. My chest felt less tight and I could breathe freely.

I threw my legs over the side of the bed and wandered out of the bedroom.

"She wants to wear my shirt to bed, she wants to make every stray a pet and drive my truck around with no place to go. But she needs to feeeel that fireeee. The one that lets her know for sure, she's everything I want and more- a reallll desireeee. Does she know I'd walk out alone on the wire, to make her feel that fire," Logan was singing in a deep voice while he stood in the kitchen.

I smiled as I quietly watched him stand at the stove, stirring around scrambled eggs, turning bacon and flipping pancakes while sneaking bits to Nix. The windows were open and a cool breeze blew into the cabin.

"She wants a cabin in the woods, she wants to stand where nobodys stood, and someday she wants a couple kids of her own," he sang happily, flipping a pancake with ease.

I walked up behind him and wrapped my arms around his torso, kissing the nape of his neck, "Morning."

Logan stopped singing and turned around, smiling, "Good morning gorgeous."

I chuckled, knowing full well I looked like I'd been run over by the bus we rode yesterday.

"Breakfast?" He gestured to the cooking spread.

I nodded, "Yes please, I'm starving."

"It'll be done in a bit, but there's coffee," Logan pointed behind me and I walked over to the Kureg to pour myself a mug.

I stirred some sugar into my coffee, walking around the island to look out the window.

I wandered up to the sliding doors that led out to the deck. I pushed the glass aside and looked out the screen door, smiling as I studied the forest.

Nix ran around the corner and crashed into my legs gracelessly. She just couldn't get used to this hardwood floor. I chuckled and bent down to pet her, "Silly girl."

She stood on her back legs to paw at me. I took her paw and shook it, "Shake hands Nixie."

She dropped down and her ears perked up. I raised an eyebrow as her fur fluffed out and she began to growl, rather viscously instead of playfully.

"Nix?" I straightened up and watched her lower her head and snarl, her ears laying back.

I turned around and shrieked, sloshing my hot coffee all over my hand and onto the floor, "Logan!!"

I heard a clatter and Logan flew into the room as I slammed the glass sliding door back into place, locking it.

"Oh my god!" He gasped, grabbing my waist and pulling me back.

A huge brown cat was prowling around on the deck, it's face pressed against the screen. I set my mug down on the table and hurried to grab Nix.

I jumped as the big cat outside snarled and wrinkled it's face up, raising its paw to swat at me. I snatched Nix up and cuddled her as she growled fearlessly.

My eyes were on the long claws that were entangled in the screen. I felt my heartbeat quicken as they shredded the material all the way down, "What is that?"

"I think it's a mountain lion, a cougar," Logan said, wrapping an arm around my waist. I couldn't help but think that only seconds ago, all that was between me and that cougar was a flimsy screen door that it just ripped through.

The cougar opened its mouth and hissed deeply, causing Nix to struggle in my arms and bark. I watched its huge teeth scrape the door.

"Why is it here?"

"I had the windows open, I think it smelled the food. It's awful brave," Logan muttered and kissed my temple, "Sorry Eva."

"It's okay, we're fine," I smiled reassuringly.

Logan let go of me and walked up to the window, clapping his hands, "Shoo! Get out of here!"

The cougar flinched away from the door and growled, showing its teeth as it backed away. Logan raised his arms and yelled at it. It finally turned around and leapt off the deck.

"Wolves and now mountain lions. I feel less safe now," I sighed nervously, setting Nix down, who ran to the window to look.

She was a brave little thing.

"I won't let anything get you," Logan chuckled, pulling a towel out of his back pocket to wipe my hand and the floor.

"That was good coffee too," I said sadly, looking into my half empty mug.

"I'll make more," Logan promised.

I followed him back into the kitchen and closed all the windows so the cougar wouldn't be lured back.

Logan and I dove into breakfast until everything was gone. Nix was forced to eat her own dog food when Logan refused to feed her too much 'people food' because it wasn't good for her.

After that, Logan asked what I wanted to do today.

"Nothing," I smiled at him, taking his plate.

He raised an eyebrow, "Nothing?"

"Yup," I nodded, turning on the faucet to wash our dishes.

I soaped up all the pans and plates that Logan used to cook with and scrubbed them clean.

Logan took a clean plate from me, rinsing it and wiping it with a towel, "Like sit in the couch and watch tv or?"

I nodded, "Uh huh. Let's just be lazy today. We can wander around tomorrow."

"Fine by me," he grinned, setting aside the dry plate.

We finished up washing dishes and I went back to the bedroom. I put on some shorts and threw my hair up into a bun. When we first got here, I'd discovered a little fold open closet that had a washer and dryer behind it.

I scooped up any dirty clothes we had and started separating the loads.

Nix kept messing up the piles so I eventually just had to do them on the bed.

"Can I help?" Logan asked, leaning against the doorframe.

"You made breakfast," I shook my head, waving him off.

"So?" He chuckled grabbing a pile of clothes from me and walking towards the washer.

I rolled my eyes and followed him, starting the first load of laundry. We went to the living room and turned on the tv, flicking through the unfamiliar channels and avoiding the news.

I found a channel called Boomerang and became interested in an old school show called Scooby-Doo.

I giggled as I heard all of the characters catchphrases. Daphne's was my favorites.

"Cartoons?" Logan raised an eyebrow, smiling at me.

"Oh hush," I said, laying across his chest, "I never got to watch cartoons."

"Well this was one of my favorites, along with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles of course," he said, his hand under my shirt as he dragged his fingertips over my skin soothingly.

"What the hell is that?"

Logan just sighed heavily.

I ruffled Nix's fur as she flopped down next to us, tired from whipping her teddy bear around in the kitchen.

The buzzer for the washer eventually went off and I got up to go throw the clothes into the dryer and start a new load.

I was coming back when I turned the corner and Logan jumped out at me, shouting.

I jumped and yelped in surprise, "Hey!"

Logan laughed when he realized he'd succeeded at scaring me.

"Rude," I chuckled, pinching his side.

"Oh you wanna play that way?" He raised an eyebrow and I stepped back.

"Come 'ere!" He growled playfully, lunging for me.

I giggled as I ran around him and into the kitchen. Logan hurried after me and I hid behind the island.

He was on the other side, moving when I moved.

"C'mon Eva," he chuckled as we circled the island.

"Nope," I laughed as I turned and sped into the living room.

I squealed when hands wrapped around my waist and pulled me back, lifting me up off the ground. Logan threw me over his shoulder and patted my rear end, "Gotcha."

"Hey!" I wriggled around and pounded on his back with my fists, "Put me down!"

"Okay," he chuckled.

I gasped when he lifted me and tossed me into the air. I landed on the couch with a grunt and laughed when Logan landed on top of me.

He didn't squish me but he was easily holding me down.

"Hey!" I giggled.

Logan pressed his lips to mine and I smiled against his kiss. I slipped my tongue past his lips to deepen the kiss and wondered if we could do something other than laundry today.

Logan's hand rested on my bare hip as he pushed my shirt up a little.

A wet nose suddenly got between us and Logan growled in annoyance as he pulled away. I laughed as Nix shoved her way between us, fighting for a spot on the couch.

"Awww, Nixie's jealous," I giggled, rubbing her ears.

"I don't like sharing," Logan said, lifting Nix by her scruff and moving her off the couch.

"So mean," I chuckled, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"I was here first," he declared, picking me up and running towards the bedroom as I laughed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 593 104
~Her words were my poison. I used them to consume myself. Disturbingly honest. Painfully strained. Carefully penned down. Dangerously addictive.~ A...
48 6 4
NOTE: This is a preview for my book that is published and sold on Amazon. I will be posting the first four chapters on here and if you'd like to fini...
10.5K 534 14
|CROSSROADS x LEAP YEAR | Eighteen-year-old April Lewis flees her troubled home, desperate to escape her emotionally distant, controlling mom, and se...
3.9K 47 22
It was all unexpected. A secret trip, enemies to lovers, and it all started with a project. Ali Scott is a 17 year old girl in High School. She has...