NCIS: Ages & Stages: Growing...

By HarmonFreak

This story is a continuation and alternate ending to McBaby. What if Tim's regression was permanent and he wa... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 13

1.2K 25 1
By HarmonFreak

Tightening his grip on the steering wheel, Gibbs' knuckles whitened as he navigated through the streets of his hometown. He was angry, disappointed but above all, outraged at his father's reaction. Even at the height of their disagreements, Gibbs had never heard Jack spew such venomous comments. As he drove, the malicious remarks repeated over and over again in his mind. How do you expect to raise a child at your age, Leroy? I choose not to accept it at this time! Try to be around more for this kid!"

The adrenaline coursed through his veins and he floored the gas rounding a sharp curve on the two-lane road. The car fishtailed after hitting a patch of ice and he barely avoided colliding with an oncoming pickup truck. Laughing maniacally, his face suddenly crumpled when he looked in the rear view mirror and saw a terrified Timmy staring back at him. The little guy was trembling and tears were rolling down his chubby, red cheeks. Sighing, Gibbs ran his hand down over his face and found a safe place to pull over on the side of the road. Putting the car in park, he slumped back against the seat and sat quietly for a moment. Damn, Jethro, pull it together! Geez, I could have killed both of us if that truck was an inch closer! Timmy doesn't understand what's happening and my number one concern should be comforting my little boy.

He shivered and choked back tears as the severity and possible consequences of his actions sank in. Timmy relied on him to keep him safe and his emotions were impairing his judgment. Gibbs' hand shook as he reached for the door handle and slowly pushed it open. Checking for cars he pushed the door the rest of the way open and climbed out. Walking around to the back he climbed into the passenger's side and closed the door. Timmy's tears had turned to intermittent sniffles and he leaned forward, burying his face against Hero when Gibbs slid closer to the car seat. The older man's heart ached when he laid his hand on Tim's neck and felt the toddler flinch.

Speaking softly he gave his neck a gentle squeeze, "Sweetie, I'm so sorry." He paused, hoping for a response from his little boy. Timmy sighed deeply, but kept his head buried against the stuffed dog.

"I didn't mean to scare you my boy. I love you and you're the only person whose opinion matters to me right now. I know it might take you time to forgive me, but I'll wait." He paused and took a deep breath before adding, "You mean the world to me kiddo and I would do anything to keep you safe."

Gibbs rubbed his thumb over Tim's tiny hand and was relieved when the youngster turned his hand to clutch the callused digit. Slowly Tim leaned back in the car seat, slid Hero down from his face and clutched him against his chest. Sighing, Gibbs cupped Tim's tear stained cheek and lightly brushed his thumb across it. "Aww Timmy." The older man's voice cracked and he blinked back tears as he continued, "Daddy shouldn't have done what he did. I was angry with Jack and I wasn't thinking about you."

Tim's eyes widened as a tear slid down Gibbs' cheek and he tenderly reached up to dab it off. "Kay Dada?"

Gibbs nodded and pressed a kiss to Tim's forehead. His son's empathy toward others at such a young age was mind blowing and he made a mental note to continuing instilling that in him. "Daddy is going to be just fine, kiddo." Gibbs drew in a deep breath and soothingly stroked Tim's chubby thigh, "Are you okay? You should have never heard that argument and I apologize that Jack scared you. I won't let it happen again."

"Cwazy!" Tim mumbled and hugged Hero tighter to his chest.

Chuckling, Gibbs responded, "It was crazy! I have an idea to take our minds off it though." He knew the road they were on would eventually lead them to Fishing Creek, a tributary of the Susquehanna River where he'd spent a great deal of time fishing when he was a child. It was the perfect, peaceful location needed to clear their heads and spend some alone time together. Pressing one last kiss to Tim's temple he patted the toddler's knee and said, "Ready to go on an adventure?" Tim looked at him thoughtfully and grinned.

"That's what I thought!" Gibbs laughed, climbed out of the car and headed back to the driver's seat. With a renewed energy he buckled up, checked oncoming traffic and got back on the road. A few minutes later they parked in a small abandoned field that was near the Stillwater Covered Bridge. It was the same bridge he'd crossed many times to get to his favorite fishing hole. He didn't know how old the bridge was, but there was a small sign that said it had been added to the register of National Historical Places in 1979. Although it was winter and there was snow on the ground, he was glad it was warmer than it had been previous days. They couldn't stay out in the cold for too long, but he wanted Tim to see where he had spent a lot of his childhood. After donning his watch cap, zipping his coat and grabbing his gloves he hopped out of the car to get Tim bundled up. Once he was satisfied his baby was protected from the elements he gathered Tim in his arms and shut and locked the car.

Inhaling the perpetual coal smell that he loved so much, he was a few steps away from the car when he realized he'd forgotten the camera and turned back to get it. Finally feeling fully prepared he started walking toward a small path that had been cleared by others. He was happy that he'd worn his hiking boots as the snow and ice was thick in some areas. Tim was in awe at the majestic winter wonderland and pointed out birds and squirrels that were foraging for food. When they reached the bridge, Tim squirmed in Gibbs' arms trying to get a better view of the creek below.

"Dada!" The youngster whined and yanked on the older man's coat sleeve.

Jamming the camera in his pocket, Gibbs lifted Tim above his head and onto his shoulders. The toddler giggled and clapped his mittens in delight at the spectacular view he was treated to from up above. Wrapping his hands around Tim's ankles, Gibbs walked closer to the railing so they could see the creek below. Most of it was iced over, but there were a few areas where water was trickling through. They stood for a moment enjoying the peace and quiet until a strong breeze rattled the tree branches and a limb crashed down into the creek.

Gibbs squeezed Tim's legs in reassurance when he felt his boy tense up and soothed, "It's okay, sweetie. Nothing to be worried about, just an old branch that fell." Continuing down the bridge to the other side there was a path along the creek that had been cleared by foot traffic. Carefully maneuvering through the snow to a patch of sunlight, Gibbs noticed there was a woman walking toward them with a tripod slung over her shoulder. He hoped she'd be kind enough to snap a picture of father and son and removed his own camera from his pocket. Taking a few shots of his own, he said, "This is where Daddy used to come and fish when he was a little boy."

"Dada ish?"

"Fish, Timmy." Gibbs laughed and continued, "Used to catch all type of trout in that creek and bring them home for dinner. When you get older, Daddy is going to teach you how to fish, would you like that?"

"Yesh!" Tim squealed loudly, his voice echoing amongst the trees.

Suddenly there was rustling between two bushes and Gibbs instinctively reached for his Sig. Realizing he hadn't brought it, he took a step back and grabbed the knife strapped to his belt. With one hand securing Tim and the other poised with the knife, he waited with bated breath. They were out in the wilderness so there was a good chance it was an animal, but what kind of animal? The noise was louder than what a squirrel or bird could make and he wasn't taking any chances with Tim's safety.

"Dada?"

"Shh...hang on, kiddo."

Gibbs looked over to see the photographer had finally caught up to them and was setting up her tripod. He held his finger to his lips and motioned to the bushes. She smiled and continued setting up her gear. There was additional rustling and Gibbs took another step back, anxious to know what was making all the noise. Suddenly a fawn's head popped out from between two bushes allowing Gibbs to release the breath he was holding. All his years as a Special Agent had taught him to be prepared for the worst and he was relieved to see that it was only an innocent baby animal that was the cause of his concern. The photographer was snapping shots as the fawn moseyed completely out of the bushes seemingly unaware of her audience.

"Doggy?" Tim whispered as two larger deer that were not as brave watched closely from behind the bushes.

Muffling the laughter threatening to escape his mouth, Gibbs shook his head at the innocent question his boy had posed. "It's a baby deer, Timmy."

They sat quietly watching the fawn explore the surroundings, eating a few leaves, with her protectors close by in case of danger. Gibbs had managed to get a few shots on his own camera and was excited to add them to Tim's scrapbook. Suddenly the deer were spooked and took off back into the woods just as fast as they appeared.

"Pretty amazing." Gibbs whistled in approval and startled when he heard footsteps behind him.

"They're amazing creatures as long as they don't collide with your car or eat your garden." Gibbs turned to see the photographer walking up from the creek. He'd been so enthralled with the deer he'd forgotten the woman was even there.

"It's been a long time since I've been that close to one." He patted Tim's leg gently, "It's the first time my son has ever seen one!"

The women smiled warmly, "Lucky kid! I hope you don't mind, but I couldn't resist taking a few shots of a son perched on his father's shoulders as they admired all that nature has to offer." Gibbs shook his head and extended his hand, "Of course not, as long as you'll send me a copy. You can call me Gibbs and this is my little guy, Tim."

Grasping Gibbs' hand the woman shook it, "I'm Linda Stevens a photographer for The Press Enterprise." Gibbs raised his eyebrows slightly and slowly nodded. Linda chuckled, "It's a newspaper that serves Bloomburg, Pennsylvania and some of the surrounding areas." She paused, her eyes darting between Gibbs and Tim before continuing, "Let me guess, you're not from around here are you?"

"Actually I grew up in Stillwater, but have only been back a few times since I joined the Marine Corps almost forty years ago."

Linda smiled shyly, "Well you certainly don't look that old."

Cheeks flushed, Gibbs smirked and diverted the conversation, "What brings you out in the dead of winter to take pictures at Fishing Creek?"

"The newspaper is doing an article on how to keep active during the winter months. Especially for parents who have kids who only want to sit inside and watch television or play video games."

The older man was about to respond when a fierce gust of wind blew through the area causing Tim to cry out in discomfort. Gibbs gently squeezed Tim's leg, "We're going to go in a minute, kiddo." Digging the camera out of his pocket he turned to Linda, "I wish we could talk longer but Timmy has already been out in the cold long enough. You mind snapping a few photos of me and my boy?"

Taking the camera from Gibbs' outstretched hand, Linda smiled sympathetically, "Of course not." She reached up and patted Tim's foot, "You need to get this little cutie pie warmed up before he becomes a popsicle."

Gibbs turned so the creek was the background, while Linda took a few steps back and framed the shot. "All right, on the count of three, everyone say cheese!"

She waited until the pair looked like they were ready and started the countdown. "One...two...three..." She snapped several pictures of father and son smiling and then made a suggestion, "How about I take one with you two making silly faces?"

"That sounds like a good idea. How about..." Gibbs grabbed hold of Timmy, lifted him above his head and back into his arms. Seeing the toddler's red, irritated nose he grimaced, "You're going to look like Rudolph soon if we don't get you out of the cold, son." Tim shrugged his shoulders and rubbed his nose with his mitten. Turning to Linda, he added, "You mind taking a few more and then we have to leave. Timmy has been out in the cold way too long."

"I'm sorry, that's my fault. I kept you out here way too long with my blabbering and carrying on." Gibbs only smiled, Linda reminded him of Ducky in that she could talk all day if given the opportunity. It was amusing, but when it came to Tim's health and safety he couldn't take any risks. Raising his hand to politely interrupt her, she blushed and readied the camera.

"How about one nice picture of you two cuddled together and then we'll do a few silly ones."

Timmy wrapped his arms around Gibbs' neck, pulled him close and giggled as the older man's stubble tickled his cheek.

"Aww that's perfect...hold it right there..." Linda announced, snapping a few photos before lowering the camera.

"All right, how about a few silly ones and you two can be on your way."

Gibbs nodded appreciatively and adjusted his grip on Timmy. Sticking his tongue out he mumbled, "Timmmmmy" to get the baby's attention. The toddler giggled when he saw the silly face his Daddy was making and immediately started emulating him. Linda was already snapping pictures as the interaction between father and son was too adorable to pass up.

"Look over here."

The pair turned their heads so Linda could get a straight shot of the two of them with their tongues sticking out. Gibbs continued with a barrage of funny faces, Timmy imitating the best he could and soon Linda was giggling so much that she couldn't keep the camera focused. "I think I managed to get a few good shots." Linda choked out breathlessly as she handed the camera back to Gibbs.

"Thanks." Gibbs responded and wrapped his arms around Timmy as the youngster started shivering.

"It's time for us to go, but it was nice meeting you."

Linda smiled, "Nice meeting you too. The sun is about to set and I think I'm done for today as well." She motioned toward the direction of the abandoned field and continued, "Did you park up there?"

Gibbs nodded, "Only place around here that you can park." Linda slung her tripod over her shoulder and smiled, "I parked up there too. We can walk back together."

As they walked the wind started picking up and Gibbs was glad he'd made the decision to pack it in. He hadn't planned on being out in the cold for so long and hoped he'd be able to warm Tim up fairly quickly. On the hike back to the cars, Linda asked Gibbs if the newspaper had permission to use the pictures she'd taken of father and son watching the deer. He complied under the condition that neither of their names were used in the captioning. The last thing he needed was for people to start asking questions about Tim.

When they returned to the cars they exchanged business cards and Linda promised to email him copies of the pictures she'd taken. Gibbs thanked her for snapping the pictures on his own camera and they bid each other goodbye. Once the car was warmed and Timmy was comfortably snuggled under a thick blanket, he asked for a bottle. Gibbs frowned when he opened the cooler and remembered he'd only brought three full bottles of milk. When he'd packed that morning he didn't expect the meeting with Jack to go terribly wrong and leave them with limited food and looking for a place to stay that night. There were no hotels in Stillwater so he decided to drive the twenty minutes to Bloomsburg.

"BABA!" Timmy whined and pounded his tiny fists on the side of the car seat.

Gibbs sighed and turned toward the backseat. Although Tim had taken a two-hour nap earlier, he was exhausted and starting to get cantankerous. "Sweetheart, I'll give you a bottle, but I have to warn you that it's very cold."

Tim huffed and folded his arms across his chest in displeasure. Gibbs reached into the cooler and held up the bottle, hoping that once his son saw it, he would have a change of heart. Unfortunately, Tim wanted nothing to do with the ice- cold bottle and kicked his legs in defiance.

"Sorry, kiddo. This is all I have until we find a hotel. You want some fruit or cheese instead?'

"No!" Tim snapped back as tears threatened to fall from his haggard, green eyes.

"Fine with me." Gibbs replied wearily and turned back around, ready to get on the road to find a place to stay for the night. He felt bad for Tim, but knew there would be times when he couldn't give him everything he wanted. Life didn't work that way and the sooner Tim learned that the easier it would be on both of them. He hoped the movement of the car would lull Tim to sleep and buy him some time to find a place to hunker down for the night. Reaching for the seat belt he was pummeled in the face by the heat that was blowing at full blast.

Suddenly he had an idea and reached for the bottle on the seat next to him. With one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding the bottle up to the warm air vent, he checked over his shoulder for cars and pulled out onto the road. As they continued on to Bloomsburg, Gibbs occasionally peeked in the rearview mirror to check on Tim. The little guy was unhappy and kept his arms folded and a scowl on his face as he looked out the window. Ten minutes into the drive while stopped at a stop sign, Gibbs checked to see if the bottle had warmed at all. He was surprised that most of the chill was gone and decided to offer it to Timmy one more time. There wasn't a lot of traffic on the road so he quickly turned toward the backseat and held the bottle out to Tim.

The youngsters' eyes narrowed at the offering and he was about to refuse when Gibbs spoke, "I've been trying to warm it from the heating vent, Timmy. It's not going to feel like it came from the microwave but it shouldn't be ice cold either." Skeptically, Tim took the bottle and slowly brought it up to his lips. "Give it a try, what's the worst that could happen?" The older man encouraged as Tim stuck the nipple between his lips and sucked. Smiling around the nipple, Timmy sunk back into the car seat and closed his eyes. Relieved his plan worked, Gibbs turned his attention back to driving and they continued on their way. Who was to say he wouldn't be a good father and keep Tim happy?

Along the way he'd noticed a few signs for hotels and was debating on which one to stop at when he saw a lovely sign for a Bed and Breakfast. Although they tended to be a bit more expensive, that would be the logical choice as they were more likely to have a microwave he could use. Following the signs down a long gravel driveway there was a large Victorian style home that sat on acres of land and was absolutely stunning. A large porch wrapped around the front and was decorated with red, white and blue ribbons. There was a glider tucked under the awning of the porch and Gibbs figured the other furniture was put away for the winter. There were a few other cars parked in the make shift lot and even though he didn't have a reservation he hoped they still had room. His cell phone rang as he put the car in park and unbuckled his seat belt. Sighing, he dug it out of his pocket and was surprised when he read the Caller ID.

"Yeah, Gibbs." He answered gruffly and waited for the upbeat voice of his Senior Field Agent to respond. Instead there was a gravelly, almost hoarse voice that responded, "Hey Boss."

Tony sounded terrible compared to twenty-four hours ago and it pained Gibbs to know one of his kids was sick. "DiNozzo, you sound like hell! What's going on?"

"Ducky thinks I have the start of bronchitis." Tony paused and coughed harshly causing Gibbs to wince at the uncomfortable sound. He could hear his good friend in the background and then Tony as he took a sip of water. Gibbs decided to speak before DiNozzo got the opportunity again. "I hear Ducky in the background. You need to do what he says and don't worry about work, I'll call and let Vance know you're not feeling well. He can take our team off the roster until you feel better or I come back, whichever comes first."

Tony sighed and softly cleared his throat, "Thanks, Boss, but the reason I'm calling isn't because my cold has gotten worse. I wanted to tell you that Ziva and I talked about what you asked me yesterday..." He paused and took a sip of water as a tickle started in the back of his throat and threatened more coughing. "Sorry, Gibbs. I know I'm taking time away from you being with Jack, but I wanted to tell you that I've decided to be Tim's guardian in case anything ever happened to you. I guess I was a little scared to say yes at first, but I know I would be a good Dad if the situation were to arise. I have a heck of a role model to learn from."

The corner of Gibbs' lips curled up into a smile, "I knew that all along, Tony, but you had to make that decision on your own and I'm glad you did. I'm proud of you. When we get back into town, I'll have my will changed and you'll need to sign the appropriate paper work."

"Sure thing, Boss." Gibbs could hear Ducky fussing over DiNozzo and couldn't help but smile at the older man's love for each of their kids.

"Tony, I'm going to let you go and get some rest. Will you put Ducky on before you hang up? I'm going to give him permission to head slap you if you don't follow directions. Feel better, Son."

Gibbs looked in the rearview mirror to find Tim still sucking contentedly on the bottle. He figured he had five minutes until the toddler finished and would be wanting out. There was a bit of rustling when Tony passed the phone and soon Ducky's cheerful voice emanated from the other end of the line, "Hello Jethro. Are you having fun with your father?"

"How's DiNozzo?" Gibbs asked, deflecting Ducky's question. The older man was taken aback and knew by the tone of his friend's voice that something was bothering him.

"I've put Anthony on antibiotics along with some codeine cough syrup to allow our boy to get some sleep. If he follows my instructions and gets some rest he'll be good as new in no time."

"That's good, Duck. I told him I'd give you permission to give a few gentle reminder smacks if he doesn't adhere to your instructions."

Ducky chuckled, "Don't worry, Jethro. Between me and Agent David we'll have him feeling better in no time." The older man paused and thought he'd try his luck again, "So you never answered my question, how is everything going with Jack?"

Gibbs huffed, he really hadn't had an opportunity to process what had gone on between him and his dad and wasn't sure he wanted to divulge that to Ducky at this moment. On the other hand it might be nice to hear with the older man had to say about it. Taking a deep breath he began, "It didn't go well at all, Duck. I explained Tim's regression, kidnapping and our subsequent dealings with the McGees. He was sympathetic at first, until..." Gibbs' voice trembled as he thought back to earlier that day and the hurtful comments his father had made.

"Take your time, Jethro." Ducky stated softly and waited for Gibbs to compose himself.

The younger man cleared his throat, "Sorry, Duck. It's been a long day." Sniffling, he continued, "Once I told Jack that I signed the adoption papers and Tim was now my son, he went ballistic. He asked me how I expected to raise a child at my age. That he chose not to accept it at this time. Even went as far as to say that I should be around more for this kid."

Ducky was rendered speechless by the malicious words that had come out of Jack's mouth. He'd spent time with the older man and while he didn't know him that well it was still hard to believe he would say such things.

"I'm sorry, Jethro. Those are terrible things to say to another person, especially when that person is their son and is just doing what he feels is right. Do you have any idea as to why he acted the way he did? You have to remember that it's a lot for anybody to wrap their mind around the fact that a grown man was regressed to a toddler. Perhaps, he was in a state of shock, but I don't think everything he said is untrue."

"Excuse me?" Gibbs could feel his blood pressure rise as it appeared Ducky was siding with his father.

"All I'm saying is he has a right to be concerned, Jethro. I'm sorry that Jack said those cruel things to you, but I can see where he's coming from as well. If you ask me, there's something deeper going on here and you two need to figure it out together. I can't say I wouldn't be a bit skeptical if my son came home with a toddler and told me he was going to adopt and raise him."

Gibbs clenched his fists and grit his teeth. He couldn't believe what was coming out of his friend's mouth. This conversation was supposed to make him feel better not worse. Taking a deep breath, he bellowed into the phone, "Well it's a good thing that you're not my father either, Doctor Mallard!" Not waiting for a response from the older man he hung up and slouched back in the seat, trembling with anger and frustration.

Continue Reading