Chapter 25

A/N Greetings my friends! I know I said I'd have this chapter for you last week, but sometimes things don't work out the way you planned. Anyway, thanks for all your reviews and I hope you enjoy.

XXX

When they reached the family room Gibbs handed Tim off to Sarah. Signaling to the building blocks tucked away in the corner he said, "No reason why you can't play with Tim while we chat." Sarah smiled, crouched down to place Tim on the floor and reached for the blocks. Gibbs stoked the fire, adding a few more logs before gingerly sinking down on the floor. "I'm never going to be able to get up from here," he groaned, "still a little sore from sledding yesterday."

Sarah laughed, "There's plenty of us to hoist you up if you need help." She popped the lid on the container of blocks, pouring them out on the floor. "Here you go, lil' bro." Timmy bounced up and down excitedly as the blocks tumbled out in front of him. Immediately picking up a few of them he began stacking one on top of the other. Sarah watched intently and commented, "I'm impressed; he's got good hand-eye coordination for a one year old."

"That's my boy." Gibbs stacked a few blocks on top of Timmy's creation and continued, "I never got a chance to thank you for believing in me and convincing Maggie that I was the right person to raise Tim."

Swallowing past the lump in her throat the younger woman nodded, "It doesn't take a genius to realize that you're the perfect person to raise him. He deserves to know what it feels like to have someone who loves him no matter what, supports his dreams and protects him when he needs it the most."

Gibbs glanced over at Timmy, "He's a special kid; I've known that since the first day we met. I'll always be here for him and you too if you'd like." Confused, Sarah raised her head to make eye contact with the older man, "What do you mean?"

"I know it must have been difficult for you to lose your father and essentially older brother all at the same time. I just want you to know that if you ever need anything you can come to me."

Sarah blinked back tears as the realization that she'd never see her father again sank in. After the Admiral's death she'd jumped right back into school and work, which left her no time to grieve. Now all of Gibbs' paternal sentiments were opening up old wounds she had worked hard to push past. "I'm sorry," she sniffled, "It's been tough losing two of the most important men in my life and dealing with my mother. This hasn't been an easy year for me." Gibbs scooted closer and wrapped his arm around her shoulder, "No need to apologize kiddo. I know from experience how hard it is to lose the people you love the most. The good news is that your brother is still here and you two will always have a special bond."

Wiping the tears from her eyes Sarah suddenly appeared embarrassed, pulling away from Gibbs' embrace. Bowing her head she muttered, "Sorry, it's supposed to be a happy time and I'm ruining it by crying."

"Hey now," the older man growled, using his finger to tilt her chin. He smiled when she made eye contact with him. "Don't ever be ashamed for expressing how you feel. If there's anything I've learned or at least I'm trying to learn is that it's not good to bottle up all your emotions. I meant what I said earlier, if you ever want to talk or just hang out with Timmy you're always welcome here."

"Thanks, Gibbs." Their conversation was interrupted when the tower of blocks came crashing to the ground.

"Ta Da!" Timmy bellowed, extending his little arms up above his head. Sarah and Gibbs howled with laughter, "Leave it to Timmy to help lighten the mood."

As the little guy went back to stacking blocks, Sarah grabbed a few of her own and started creating her own tower. "Thanks again for inviting me tonight, Gibbs. After all that's happened, plus dealing with my mom, this is the perfect distraction." Unbeknownst to Sarah, she had given Gibbs the perfect segue into his questions regarding Maggie. Clearing his throat he asked, "How is your mom doing?"