Chapter 15

A/N I know I've been MIA and I apologize! Real life has been busy and I appreciate you sticking with me. Thanks for all your kind words.

12:00 AM - Sunday Morning...

Tony stretched lazily and winced as he took a deep breath and attempted to swallow through the thick layer of mucus coating his throat. He felt significantly worse than he did a few hours ago and wondered when the antibiotics were going to kick in. Blearily opening his eyes he glanced at the clock and was happy to see he'd managed a few hours of sleep. Slowly sitting up he took a sip of water and grabbed his phone off the end table. He was expecting to see several missed calls from Ducky, but was surprised when there were none from the older man. Instead there were numerous missed calls from Jimmy, Ziva and Abby. Oh, this can't be good he thought as he decided which one of his co-workers to call. Did something happen to Gibbs, Ducky or Timmy? If there were a medical emergency then Palmer would be the one to speak with, but if it were case related, Ziva would more likely be the appropriate person to talk to. As his thumb hovered over the buttons on thephone it began vibrating with a call from Ziva.

"He...L...lo." He managed to croak out.

"I am so glad you finally picked up, Tony. I know you are very sick but I have some bad news." Ziva's tone made his stomach clench up and he thought for a moment he might be sick.

"Who?"

"It is Ducky." She paused and he could hear someone speaking in the background.

"What the hell happened?" Tony tried to shout, but realized that was a mistake as he started coughing violently. Holding the phone away from his mouth he continued coughing until the tickle in the back of his throat subsided. Breathless, he took a few sips of water and came back on the line. "Sorry Ziva. I'm back now."

"I am sorry, Tony. Allow me to do all the talking and at the end you can ask questions. When Ducky was returning home he noticed there was a young woman being robbed and stopped to help. Apparently there was a struggle and Ducky was shot in the stomach."

Tony's breathing hitched and he collapsed back onto the bed, "I'm dreaming right? Please tell me the medication that Ducky gave me earlier is causing me to have nightmares!"

Ziva sighed, "As much as I wish that to be true, it is not."

"Well then please tell me he's still alive, Ziva!"

"He is currently at Bethesda in critical condition. Vance, Jimmy and Abby are there waiting to speak with the doctors and the Director sent me out to the crime scene to babysit Metro. I will be leaving for the hospital soon. We have all been trying to call Gibbs, but he is not answering. You do not happen to know his father's number, do you?"

"They're not at Jackson's house. Actually..." Tony paused; Gibbs hadn't been the one to tell him about the disagreement with his father. He didn't find that out until after talking with Ducky and wasn't even sure where Gibbs and Timmy were spending the night. "I don't know it Ziva. We're going to have to keep trying his cell phone but also need to remember he's nearly four hours away!" He coughed harshly and grimaced as his chest and throat ached as a result. "Could you come by and pick me up on your way to Bethesda? I want to be there with the rest of my family!"

"Tony you are sick and must stay in bed. Besides, how do you think Ducky would react if he knew you were out and about? It is not wise to spread your germs to the rest of us either."

"If you don't come and pick me up I'll drive over there on my own. Every time one of us is injured Ducky is always there. The least we can do is be there for him. How about if I wear a surgical mask to prevent some of my germs from spreading?"