Chapter 23

A/N I know I've been MIA lately and for that I am sorry. The good news is that I'll have three new chapters for you this week. Thanks for being patient and I hope you enjoy!

XXX

Gibbs was up early the following morning to wrap the mountain of Christmas gifts he'd bought for Timmy as well as the items the little guy chose to give the others. The adults had agreed to follow their normal protocol of not exchanging gifts; however they all wanted to buy something for Timmy's first Christmas. After much deliberation Gibbs agreed, strongly emphasizing that they should not go overboard. He chuckled inwardly at the pile of toys and new clothes strewn across the kitchen table. Over the past month he'd picked up a few items here or there, not realizing that metaphorically speaking he'd bought the entire toy store. The new clothes were a necessity as Tim had already outgrown quite a few of his outfits. After the holidays he'd clean out Tim's dresser and closet, donating the gently used clothing to an organization to be put to good use. He ran his fingers through his hair, sighing at the enormous task ahead of him.

"I need more coffee," he groaned, gingerly getting to his feet and limping over to the counter. "Some Advil too." He was in a lot more pain than yesterday after their sledding excursion and hoped a dose of pain relievers would help loosen him up. The next few days were going to be fun and he didn't want to miss one single moment of his baby's first Christmas. As he was rummaging through the cabinet looking for the bottle of ibuprofen he noticed a bottle of prescription strength pain medication from when he had his concussion. With the bottle of medication in one hand and his phone in the other he pressed Ducky's contact information and waited. After three rings a sleepy voice answered, "Hello?"

"Sorry Duck did I wake you?"

If the older man's raspy voice was any indication then Gibbs already knew the answer to his own question.

"It's 0530 in the morning my dear boy. What do you think?"

Gibbs sighed sympathetically, "I'm sorry I didn't even think to look at the time. I've already had a cup of coffee and it didn't even cross my mind that the rest of the world was probably still sleeping."

"It doesn't matter, Jethro, what can I do for you?"

"I'll make it quick, Duck." Gibbs inhaled sharply as a sharp pain shot through his knee forcing him to sit down.

"Jethro are you there? What's going on?"

The younger man groaned, "It sucks getting old, Duck. I woke up this morning feeling like a train had hit me. All the climbing up the hill I did yesterday has had an effect on my knees not to mention the rest of my body." He paused, shaking the bottle of pills before continuing, "I was calling because I found a bottle of prescription strength pain killers in my cupboard from when I had my concussion and I was wondering if I could take one? I don't think an over the counter medication is going to give me the relief that I need. This is Timmy's first Christmas and I'd prefer to be comfortable rather than in pain."

Ducky sighed, "I don't see why not, Jethro. However, instead of taking the entire pill might I suggest you start off by breaking the pill in half? If I remember correctly it's a fairly high dose and will make you drowsy. We don't want you passed out with young Timothy on the loose especially after the flour incident with Ziva."

"Good idea, Duck. I'll start off small and if I'm not getting any relief I can bump up the dosage."

"Sounds like a plan, but remember it's typically one to two pills every four hours. Read the instructions to find out the recommended dosage my friend. Now if you don't have any other questions for me, this old man needs his beauty sleep. I can't wait till our celebration tonight."