Chapter 5

Where the hell am I? I'm freezing cold and it's pitch black except for a tiny speck of light in the distance. I can hear voices and they're coming from the direction of the light. Jeez why am I so cold? I need to warm up or I'm going to freeze to death. Wait, why is the light getting closer and the voices getting louder? I haven't moved since I found myself in this black hole. The only logical explanation is that I'm dreaming.

"Oh my god, Ducky! Is Gibbs going to be okay?" Abby cried hysterically as Tony used his hands to stabilize Gibbs' neck while the two doctors assessed the leader's injuries.

Ziva arrived out of breath with a pile of blankets and Ducky's medical bag. Taking orders from the older man she strategically placed the blankets over Gibbs to buy him some time before hypothermia set in. Rifling through his medical bag, Ducky pulled out a package of smelling salts and cracked it open. With the sound of sirens approaching he waved it beneath Gibbs' nose, hoping the younger man would be conscious by the time the ambulance arrived.

What's that terrible smell? Whoa what's going on? It's not dark anymore but I'm having trouble focusing. Maybe if I blink my eyes a few times everything will be much clearer. Hmm I'm blinking but it doesn't seem to be helping. Oh wait, the faster I blink the better I can see. I'm confused, why is my entire team huddled around me and why does my head hurt so damn much?

As Ducky waved the smelling salts under Gibbs' nose, the entire team gathered around in anticipation. They were heartbroken when Maggie, Penny and Sarah drove away with Tim, but the situation escalated when Gibbs fainted and smacked his head on the curb. Watching as his eyelids fluttered they all breathed a collective sigh of relief when Gibbs' eyes popped open and he let out a small groan.

"Welcome back, Jethro."

Ducky could tell Gibbs was confused as to what had happened and squeezed his hand in reassurance. "Stay still my friend. You hit your head on the curb after you fainted. The ambulance is on the way."

Trying to nod and realizing he couldn't, Gibbs became agitated. Abby knelt down on the blanket and took his free hand. "Gibbs, try to stay calm. Tony is holding you still until we are certain you don't have a neck injury."

"Hey Boss." Tony said, maneuvering his body in a manner that allowed Gibbs to see him.

"Tim?" Gibbs' voice was raspy, practically a whisper as the team looked amongst themselves in sorrow.

Sighing, Ducky responded, "Let's take care of you first."

"No, I want to see Tim!" Gibbs bellowed, attempting to sit up.

"Jethro, please stay still. The extent of your injuries are unknown and you're only making it worse by fighting us."

Gibbs struggled against the three men who were holding him down, finally he grabbed hold of Ducky's jacket and looked at him pleadingly, "Where's my boy? Why can't I see him?"

"I'm sorry, Jethro. You can't see Timothy because the McGees took him with them back to their hotel. He's no longer here with us."

Gibbs' face crumpled and tears welled up in his eyes. "No, no, my Timmy can't be gone!"

"Clear some space, please. Can somebody tell us what happened here?"

A pair of paramedics along with the fire department made their way over with supplies including a backboard, stretcher and cervical collar. Jimmy, Abby and Ziva took a step back to allow the paramedics room to work.

"Uh yes my name is Dr. Mallard chief medical examiner for NCIS and this man's personal physician."

The paramedic nodded and crouched down next to Gibbs, "Sir, can you tell me your name?"