Chapter 20

A/N The time has come to finally reveal who is at the door. Thanks for all the lovely reviews regarding this story. You guys and gals are the best and I'm hugging each and every one of you in my mind. I hope you enjoy!

Time stood still, the rhythmic thumping of his heartbeat permeated his eardrums. Flashes of red clouded his vision as the person standing before him started to speak. He could see their lips moving, but the continuous thump, thump, thump drowned out everything they were saying. Suddenly a high-pitched wail sliced through the shock and anger that had taken over his body and thrust him back into reality. Shaking his head to clear it, Gibbs momentarily forgot about the person at the door and quickly turned toward the family room. Tim was struggling to break free from Tony's grip and it was quite apparent that he was upset over Gibbs' reaction. Gibbs was about to open his mouth to try to console his son when the visitor spoke, "Aren't you going to let me in? It's freezing out here!"

Gibbs growled and turned his attention back toward the door. "You're not welcome here, Jack," he hissed, grabbing the door and slamming it shut. Alarmed, Ducky rose from his seat and murmured, "I know he has hurt both of you, Jethro, but I really think you need to listen to what he has to say." The others watched as a deep shade of red grew over their Boss' face and Tony was certain that smoke would soon be billowing out of his ears like in the cartoons.

Clenching his fists, Gibbs took a few steps toward the family room and roared, "You three take Tim upstairs to his room!" Tony, Ziva and Abby quickly stood up, made their way across the family room and into the entryway. Tim was sobbing softly and reached out for Gibbs as Tony attempted to pass. Sighing, Gibbs wiped the tears from the toddler's face, kissed him on the forehead and whispered, "Don't worry, sweetie, daddy has a few things he needs to take care of and then I'll come and get you, okay?" Tim continued to cry as Gibbs signaled for the team to head upstairs. It broke his heart to see his little boy distraught, but there was no way in hell he was going to let his father see him at this time. When he heard Tim's door close he turned back to Ducky and snapped, "What the hell were you thinking, inviting him here?"

Ducky exhaled, "I assure you I didn't invite him, Jethro." He paused, "Your father called me a few weeks ago and wanted to talk. Believe me, I was very hesitant at first, but I could hear the hurt, despair, and desperation in his voice." Gibbs huffed and folded his arms across his chest, "All of which he brought on by his own actions."

"You're most certainly correct, my friend. However, after only a few minutes of speaking with him I realized there is something deeper going on. Perhaps an explanation as to why he reacted the way he did. If there's anything we've all learned over the past few months is that life is too short and can change drastically at the drop of a hat. At least hear what he has to say, it is Christmas after all and who knows how much longer the two of you will have to reconcile."

Gibbs suddenly remembered the promise he'd made to Iris. He'd pledged to try and make amends with Jack before it was too late. Smiling as he recalled their conversation, he was glad the Kleins had agreed to spend New Year's in Virginia and he was looking forward to introducing them to the family. Ducky was confused as to why Gibbs was smiling, given the fury of rage he'd witnessed moments ago and gently patted him on the arm, "You okay, my dear? What were you thinking about just now?"

"A promise, one that I'd made to a very special lady." Marching toward the door he flung it open and was not surprised to see Jack sitting on the small bench he'd made for Tim. Shivering, the older man stood up, "Before you saw anything else I want you to know that you have every right to be disgusted with me, son. No matter how many times I apologize I know it will never be enough. Please let me come in and explain and then you'll never have to see me again." Gibbs took a deep breath, moved aside and beckoned for Jack to step inside. The older man appeared relieved and started to hobble inside, only to stop halfway, reaching back for his suitcase.