There Was You (Completed)

By random_insight

Have you ever wondered how different your life will be if you haven't met someone? Our lives are defined by t... More

Prologue
1 Kayod Kuwarenta-Anyos
2 - Welcome Home, Tita Terrie
3 - My Pemily
4 - All In A Day's Work
5 - Mr. Dimple at Ms. Cleft Chin
6 - Sa Iyong Ngiti
7 - Reality Check
8 - What ever will be, will be
9 - Seen-Zoned
10 - Tuliro
11 - So It's You
12 - Banana-Q
13 - Miss Maine
14 - Ginoong Richard
15 - Two Friends and A Suitor?
16 - #Paano?
17 - And The Winner Is...
18 - #Anyare?
19 - Pride and Principles
20 - Dress Rehearsals
21 - Dinner is Served
22 - You Wish
23 - Humble Pie, You Want?
24 - Doon Po sa Amin
25 - Bahay Kubo
26 - Sa Kabukiran
27 - Just Pure Talk
28 - Countdown Begins
29 - This is The Moment
30 - Kasal, Kasali, Kasalo
31 - Operation Maine-bow
32 - It's a Date
33 - Daddy's Home
34 - The Plot Thickens
35 - Lull Before The Storm
36 - It's Storm Signal No?
37 - Muntik na Kitang Minahal
38 - Hindi Ko Kaya
39 - Pagdating ng Panahon
40 - Changes
41 - Begin the Begin
42 - Indifference
43 - A Tangled Web
45 - Moment Of Truth
46 - Kung Ako'y Mag-aasawa
47 - Reawakened
48 - Puso-sa-Pusong Usapan
49 - Absence makes the heart...
49-1 .... Grow Fonder?
50 - Legalities
51 - #TWYLigaw
52 - One Day Isang Araw
53 - Let the Love Begin
Patalastas (Hindi po Update)
54 - A New Beginning
55 - Adjustments
56-1 Compromise
56-2 And More Compromise
57 - Communicate, Communicate
58 - Breaking Down Walls
59 - Wedding Prep
60 - Hanggang
61 - Bottom of the Barrel?
62 - Cavalry
63 - Love Never Fails
64 - Ikaw
65 - There Was You
Epilogue

44 - It's Complicated

6.1K 542 219
By random_insight

A/N: Another raw update. Apologies in advance.

Maine's initial reaction is to tell him to leave and bring those damn plans with him. "Let's look at the plans, then. But I'm not promising anything."

"Fair enough. I didn't bring the actual plans but just the soft copy." He opened his laptop to show first the perspective drawings of the architect. He noticed that she sat across him on the table and not beside him. Whatever.

"Speaking of architect, hindi ba magagalit yung architect mo? Baka may pinili na siyang gagawa ng Interior Design ng bahay mo." Bakit parang may kurot sa puso yung 'bahay mo'. Haay Meng, umayos ka!

He shrugged and took a sip of his coffee. "I don't like who he's suggesting. I think I have the prerogative to choose."

She studied the perspective drawing. Stone, glass and wood? "But why me? Mag-Google ka lang, ang dami mong makikitang options na mas may track record." She asked without looking at him. Sige Maine, magpabebe ka pa. What are you fishing for?

"I've seen your work. Huwag mo lang gawing laruan ng mga bata tulad sa school. Okay, let's just say I have preference for the underdogs. You're a start-up business. Same as myself. Plus, I don't want somebody who has a lot of track record but who's going to act as if they own the place and who thinks they have the monopoly for good ideas. Have you designed a whole house, including the garden and surroundings?" Richard was amused as Maine adjusted her glasses and bit her lip in concentration as she scanned the pages of the plan. You're not amused. This is insane!

"No, I haven't done a whole house. This is going to be the first time, if ever." Her phone started ringing and saw who's calling. "Excuse me. I just need to answer this call. This is my next client who's coming to the office. Baka urgent. Okay lang?"

And I don't have appointment. "Of course. No problem."

Maine stood up and walked to the other side of the office and turned her back on him.

"Yes, Kevin. It's all set. I have the proposal with me and Ate Kai is getting the swatches of materials that you can look at...... Yes, the wallpaper for your office."

"Hahahaha! I don't think so.... I'm afraid the old furniture has to go. I have a friend who's into custom made and personalized furniture. Or we can consider ergonomic set.... Okay, I'll check my calendar and see if we can squeeze in dinner this week."

Maine heard movements and when she turned around, Richard is all set to leave.

"Wait Kevin, just a sec."

"You're leaving?"

"I just realized that I have a meeting in Makati two hours. Baka ma-late."

"What's the next step? I need to study the plan and see the place."

"My schedule is full for the next few days. Mukhang ikaw rin. If you can squeeze me in your calendar, i left the number in the office where you can coordinate the schedule. I'm going ahead. Bye."

Okay, office number but not your personal number.  "Okay, bye! Thanks for the coffee!" He was already out, and taking the stairs two steps at a time.

"Sorry Kevin. That was a walk-in client. But sure, let's do dinner. I know that your wife has to approve the design. Sayang di siya makakasama ngayon. Give my regards to Kate and the kids. See you later."

A/N: Okay, mukhang natututo na ring tumalon si Ritsard. Luksong-baka pa lang naman.

--------------------

It was already afternoon. It turned out that the 'Office number' that he left is a Singapore number. At pababayarin mo talaga ko ng IDD charges? Talaga lang ha?

She was answered by a woman with distinct Singaporean accent. (A/N: okay folks, I'm not doing Singaporean accent.)

When she stated the reason why she's calling, the woman apologized that she doesn't have all the schedule in Richard's calendar, only the official meetings and that Richard manages his own calendar. Maine was given a mobile number where she could reach him.

She was fuming when she ended the call. Ganon? Paghabulin ako?

"Sino na naman ang kaaway mo?"

"Wala! Yung isang tao na masyadong nagpapaimportante."

"Maiba ko teh. Sigurado ka ba rito sa pag-aaply mo as immigrant? Bakit hindi na lang petition?"

"Ate Kai, I don't think my mom is in the position to petition me in her condition. At nakakalimutan mo na, lampas na ko ng 21. Huwag kang mag-alala, matagal pa yan. Ilang taon pa aabutin niyan. Pinagbigyan ko lang si lola. Valid pa naman visitor's visa ko. I can visit my mom anytime I want. Inaasikaso ko lang yung requirements for the application. Malay mo madeny."

"Malay mo rin ma-approved. Ano kaya no? Ikaw nasa US, ako nasa Korea. Ang bongga natin teh! Pag nangyari yon, 'who you!' ang mga ex ko nang-iwan sa 'kin dito. Chura nila. Tse! E pero teka, paano si...?"

"Anong si.....? Sino? Be specific ate Kai. Malay mo doon ko ma-meet ang aking The One."

"The One ka diyan. Neknek mo! Yung The One mo, tumawag na kanina nang wala ka. Binigay yung address nung bahay niya. Pati oras kung kelan ka puwedeng pumunta bukas. Nagtataguan lang ang peg n'yo? Akala ko ba nag-usap na kayo?"

So, pinahirapan lang talaga ko? "Tingin mo Ate Kai, ano magiging kaso ko kung may pupukpukin ako ng martilyo?"

"Ay hinde! Mahina pa yon. Maso, maso ang ipapakuha ko kay Mang Tomas. Pero kayong dalawa ang pupukpukin ko. Umayos kayo! Masyado na kayong pabebe, hindi na kayo nakakatuwa! Hindi na kayo teenagers, oy!"

--------------------

The following day, Maine kept her promise to look at Richard's house for a possible interior design project

Maine did not immediately enter the premises but just studied the structure from the sidewalk opposite the property. Situated just outside the metro, the village where the house is gives a suburb feel and affords a view of the sky-rise landscape from afar but offers the quiet neighborhood feel. A respite after a week of hard work.

And this is where he's going to raise his family.

With its sloping roof-lines, the structure of the house is in sharp contrast with the modern architecture of its neighbors. Just the average size, three bedrooms if her memory serves her right, nothing grand, but you can already see the stonework taking shape outside. Those huge glass panels in front that offer a glimpse inside. She's already imagining the prints of the heavy curtains that would cover them.

The man is a contradiction. He's into technology and yet, his house looks very much like large western log houses that you see in the magazines. And she must admit, she likes it.

She greeted the construction people who are already cleaning the work area and tidying up their tools, ready to call it a day in an hour or so. She was told to go inside where the owner of the house is waiting.

She saw Richard standing over some plans with his back to her, hand on waist and talking to somebody on the phone. He was talking animatedly discussing ..... candidates for hiring? It's rare that she's given opportunity to study the man in his unguarded moments so she did not immediately announce herself and just stood there, scanning the area but attuned to his voice.

He is courteous but firm with his voice. She turned halfway to avoid looking at his arms as he occasionally tousles his hair in frustration but will still attempt to remain calm to get his message across. He was only wearing plain white shirt and jeans. So much for a young entrepreneur and too much for me.

"Okay, just send me the final list of candidates and I will go over their CVs. And yes, I need to interview them personally. Don't worry about my schedule, I can extend my stay if needed. I can work from here, remember? Just schedule them for my final interview." He immediately turned around and saw her.

"Kanina ka pa?"

She waved casually. "Ha? No, kakadating lang. Please continue. Mind if I look around?"

"Sure! Just one more phone call. Then I'll follow you. Be careful with the stairs, though." Then he's on the phone again.

She did a quick tour of the rooms on the ground floor, what's going to be the living room with the high ceiling extending to the second floor showing the A-shaped roof-line. She can already see the possibilities. Next is the dining area with an opening to the kitchen. There's also two rooms downstairs. The larger one is obviously his office and is already furnished.

Even without seeing what's upstairs, she decided right there and then that she wants this project. Not for anything else. Promise!

She did another round now taking notes of the details, all the while conscious of his eyes on her, following her movements. Unable to bear his scrutiny, she motioned that she's going upstairs.

-------------------

He found her sitting on the floor of the veranda of what's going to be the master bedroom, enjoying what's left of the sunset.

She knows the moment he entered the room. "So you chose west over east. Sunset over sunrise."

Richard joined her and sat a few feet beside her. "I used to be a morning person. But with the late hours I'm keeping nowadays, I will hate for the sunrise to wake me up in the morning just when I'm just starting to doze off."

"Ah, but the question is, will you even be here to enjoy the sunset?"

He threw her a side glance, smiling. "At least that option will always be there. Yung tipong nasa meeting ka pero maiisip mo yung sunset na sana ay pinanonood mo sa bahay mo. But you're forgetting, there's always the weekend to look forward to. Siguro naman lumulubog pa rin ang araw ng Sabado at Linggo."

Her heart skipped a bit. It's been a long time since she last saw him smile. "Then I rest my case. Shall we discuss what design you like? And what mamang and Ryzza wants? I supposed you already asked them."

Hearing her mention his mother and sister brings back something best forgotten. He tried to change the topic. "Bakit di ka kumuha ng upuan, ang dumi pa dito o!" He wonders at this new side of Maine, not the prim and proper, but the one ready to get down to work at a construction site.

"Hindi mo ba nakikita, may cardboard naman. Okay na yan! You should see me pag naka-overall, may pintura ang mukha o kaya may hawak na martilyo at pinapagalitan ang karpintero." Pero ngayon gusto kong pukpukin ang sarili ko. Bakit affected pa rin ako sa'yo?

Richard returned his gaze at the horizon. "I can imagine." He can also imagine him trying to remove the paint on her face. Umayos ka Ricardo. "Now about that design. Do you want another tour of the house? You can tell me what you think should be done."

She stood up refusing his offer of help. She doesn't think she can endure his touch at this point. "No, you tell me what's your day like, how you will move, so we can see what can be practical. Kahit gaano pa kaganda ang mga dekorasyon sa bahay mo, kung nakakaharang naman pag gumalaw ka, baka isumpa mo yung nag-design."

That gesture was not lost on him. "At ayaw mong isumpa kita."

She stopped and turned to face him. "Please Richard, let's not go there. I'm learning how to handle things with you the way you want it. And to tell you honestly, I like your house and I like to get this project."

If he was surprised at her candid remark, he did not show it. "Then let's be professional. I like professional."

And behaved professionally, he did. Even overdoing it at times. She asked questions and he asnwered her seriously, no more of the easy banter earlier. But she still found herself drawn to him. This is not the Richard of two years ago. Before, he would always crack a joke and would always keep the conversation light. Now, it's like seeing Richard the businessman.

The only moment when they went out of character was when they are going down the stairs with Maine following Richard and admiring the backview. Which is probably why she almost lost her footing and cause her to put her arms on his shoulders. Good thing it was already the last step.

He quickly turned around to steady her. "Are you okay? Hindi pa kasi fixed yung mga steps na yan. Kausapin ko yung karpentero bukas." He remarked, his hands still on her arms.

Too conscious for her own comfort. "No, I'm fine. My fault. Hindi lang nakatingin sa dinadaanan. It's getting late. Nag-uwian na yata lahat. I'll go down to work and prepare the design. Rough sketches lang muna siguro, just so you can see something if I'm to submit the proposal on Friday. I'm sure you also want to get quotes from other designers. I'm going ahead, unless may nakalimutan ka."

He did not let go of her arm, which caused her to meet his gaze. "Yes, the terms. This project is yours for the taking even if you double the price. But it comes with the property. You will only get this only if you will sell me the property. You finish the project, you get the track record and the payment, and I get the property. That's the most win-win situation I can come up with. Then as you said before, we go our separate ways. For the last time. Take it or leave it."

This time she did not back down. She got him to release his hold on her arm, her insides churning as she met his eyes. Mata sa mata. "So this is an all-or-nothing deal? I have to give it to you. You're very smart. But as you also put it, I still have the prerogative to decide, right? Even if it's a win-lose on my part. Don't worry, if you receive a proposal from me by Friday, then you'll know my answer. Don't bother showing me the door. I know my way out."

It took all her self-control to fight the urge to run.

------------------------

The light at the townhouse was already on when she came home. She asked to be dropped by at the office but did not go inside. She needs to walk this off.

How the tables turned. Bilog ang mundo. Gone are the days when Richard would offer help without asking for anything in return, always giving back. Always thinking of her welfare and what he thinks is best for her. Did I do that to you, Richard?

With a heavy sigh, she opened the door and found Ate Kai pacing back and forth the length of the living room.

"Saan ka ba nanggaling? Kanina pa kita tinatawagan, bakit di ka sumasagot?"

"Sorry, naka-slient siguro yung phone sa bag ko. Bakit, anong problema?"

Ate Kai took her hand and guided her to sit down. Maine frowned as she watched her get a glass of water and put it down in front of her.

"Okay ka lang, wala ka bang sakit sa puso? Hindi ka ba himatayin? Kumain ka na ba?"

"Ano ba? Ano yang hawak-hawak mo?"

"Sabi mo kasi, ayusin ko na pag dumating. Eto na yung mga requirements mo sa application na inorder mo online." Ate Kai nervously handed her a long Manila envelope.

Maine took out the documents and read the first. "O ayos naman 'tong birth certificate ko."

"Ano ka ba! Anak ka pa rin ng nanay at tatay mo! Hindi yan, yung sumunod!"

She put down her birth certificate and looked at the second sheet of security paper from PSA.

She did drink the full glass of water in front of her and remained speechless for a full two minutes.

"One marriage record found for Nicomaine C. Mendoza. Spouse: Richard R. Faulkerson Jr."

A/N:Ate Kai, resibo policy tayo dito. Nasaan ang CENOMAR? Ipakita mo!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.8K 2.9K 21
An AlDub / MaiChard / MaiDen FanFic A story of love, acceptance, and forgiving. Maine and Richard was married for five years. Almost perfect ang rel...
1.5M 32.4K 58
"W-what did I do to you? W-why are you torturing me L-like this?" -Marzena Perez. She just want to Have a peaceful life, But it Seems that Destiny is...
In times By Aice Cruz

General Fiction

82.1K 1.5K 38
Sa hinabahaba daw ng prosisyon sa simbahan din daw ang tuloy. Would Honey and Justin make it this Honey and Justin finally make it this time?? Sa dam...
867K 2.4K 8
Book 2 of One More Round | Completed |